Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Internet Explorer posted:

Plus while most people seem to like Pluralsight, my only experience with it was for that test and both the training and practice questions were bad enough that I will never recommend that poo poo to anyone. They were so far off from the actual test I can only assume they had no clue what the test looked like.

I passed, but it was in no way, shape, or form because of Pluralsight.

I've done Udemy courses and they were fantastic. Plenty of depth, extremely test oriented, and provided walkthroughs for do-it-yourself labs. Passed my CCNA off of a Udemy course.

I'm doing the Pluralsight trial and have started up a few courses. Each one feels slow, monotonous, and way off point for getting certifications. The labs require buying other services like VIRL or building server stacks. It's really terrible and like you I would not recommend Pluralsights to anybody.

I'm trying to figure out the difference, and I think it's that Udemy gets money directly from people purchasing the course. To get these people they need to have a high rating, so each course competes to be the most complete and best resource. Pluralsights doesn't have any of that internal competition and greatly suffers from it.

Dross posted:

I guess my question is where the shallow end of the pool is? If I want to have a skillset that can get my foot in the door at another organization with only a helpdesk job on my resume, what's my best bet?

Everybody is going to tell you this depends on the field you want to end up in. Look 5 years down the road and imagine the type of job you want, look at job postings for that job, and set your course for the experience and certs you need to get there. If you're not sure I'd start with the CompTIA Net+ because having network knowledge is a great background for any IT job.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
pluralsight is decent as they all talk so loving slow I can crank the speed up to 1.3x or 1.4x and just cruise through everything as a review. They were pretty good and spot on for my net+, and so far the sec+ isn't terrible.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sefal posted:

I am not looking forward to 411. I glanced over it and saw it had something called Radius.

I don't know what a 411 is, but RADIUS is like TACACS but something people actually use for AAA. :suicide:

It's built in to basically every network device ever that has AAA as a configurable option. It's been around for a very long time and is incredibly useful to know. Modern times it's used to let people into network devices, as well as authenticate things like 802.1X. Protip, don't let anyone trick you into FreeRADIUS. It is garbage. Use Windows Server "NPS" - it is seriously plug and play. This is how places can assign policies like "You aren't allowed on the internet because your virus scanner is out of date. Instead you go on the VLAN of shame which only has ways to install/update virus scanners, or get virus remediation tools."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RADIUS
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755248.aspx

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

H110Hawk posted:

I don't know what a 411 is, but RADIUS is like TACACS but something people actually use for AAA. :suicide:

It's built in to basically every network device ever that has AAA as a configurable option. It's been around for a very long time and is incredibly useful to know. Modern times it's used to let people into network devices, as well as authenticate things like 802.1X. Protip, don't let anyone trick you into FreeRADIUS. It is garbage. Use Windows Server "NPS" - it is seriously plug and play. This is how places can assign policies like "You aren't allowed on the internet because your virus scanner is out of date. Instead you go on the VLAN of shame which only has ways to install/update virus scanners, or get virus remediation tools."

410/411/412 are references to the Microsoft 70-41x tests on Windows Server 2012.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dross posted:

I guess my question is where the shallow end of the pool is? If I want to have a skillset that can get my foot in the door at another organization with only a helpdesk job on my resume, what's my best bet?

Virtualization.

This can be tricky, but you've got an amazing group of peers on this forum who can help you out.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Pluralsights doesn't have any of that internal competition and greatly suffers from it.

There is no "internal" competition because PluralSight doesn't produce the content, it just hosts other people's training (mostly small independent folks). Much like YouTube or github, there's going to be a massive spread in quality between individual courses based on the author so blanket statements about the service are going to be just as effective as arguments about YouTube red. You should be name-and-shaming (or -faming) the author.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dross posted:

You might also want to take a look at architecting/building cloud-native applications. We [here at Amazon Web Services] can't hire enough people who can think "cloud native" instead of "I'm just going to dump my datacenter into a cloud provider and call it good".

A quick google search for "building cloud native applications" will bring up a host of articles about the differences between a hosted solution and cloud solution. If it interests you at all, I highly recommend it as a way to be on the cutting edge of platforms technology as well as extending and future-proofing your skill set.

We hire Helpdesk people all the time for Cloud Support Associates, with a vested interest in getting you skilled up to Cloud Support Engineer and have a good career path into higher level positions and will do our level best to help you get there.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 19, 2016

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

That sounds pretty cool. I'm just going to start the course and figure it out. I have a virtualbox lab on my laptop I can use to experiment with. I have a meeting with my boss on thursday. Hopefully I can convince him to pay for the 70-411 course and exam.
Even though i passed the 70-410 exam. I still don't completely undertstand ipv6. Do you guy know where i could brush that up a bit?

I'm still trying to figure out how to migrate the AD. I have written down how to do the migration. But I don't really know how to test it proper.
I'm thinking about creating a user, giving him some rights, link exchange to the user. Test if he can log on,recieve, send mail and if the user rights are working correctly. It seems too shallow. DCdiag would show me if it's healthy.
correct me if i'm wrong, Would a rollback work if I 1st shutdown both AD vm's and then take a snaphshot of them. In that case the USN shouldn't gently caress up right?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm going through the 410 Pluralsight series and it seems okay. Definitely not something you can solely use to pass the exam.

The Powershell series is pretty in depth and useful I feel though

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sefal posted:

That sounds pretty cool. I'm just going to start the course and figure it out. I have a virtualbox lab on my laptop I can use to experiment with. I have a meeting with my boss on thursday. Hopefully I can convince him to pay for the 70-411 course and exam.
Even though i passed the 70-410 exam. I still don't completely undertstand ipv6. Do you guy know where i could brush that up a bit?

I'm still trying to figure out how to migrate the AD. I have written down how to do the migration. But I don't really know how to test it proper.
I'm thinking about creating a user, giving him some rights, link exchange to the user. Test if he can log on,recieve, send mail and if the user rights are working correctly. It seems too shallow. DCdiag would show me if it's healthy.
correct me if i'm wrong, Would a rollback work if I 1st shutdown both AD vm's and then take a snaphshot of them. In that case the USN shouldn't gently caress up right?

Instead of snapshotting you could shut down both and copy the entire VM folders somewhere and leave them dormant as a backup if necessary. Just don't start them up at the same time.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

H110Hawk posted:

Looks like it's aiming for 100k EUR, and that is an artifact of EUR-USD conversion? It's off by a few hundred at todays rates, but who knows!

There's other money than :10bux:?

What a weird idea. :911:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SaltLick posted:

The Powershell series is pretty in depth and useful I feel though

Could you link this or give me the title?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dross posted:

I'm a Tier 1 helpdesk type for a smallish private family owned company (~120 employees) that kinda lucked into this position when my predecessor died of cancer. The network/server admin, who is a personal friend of mine and got me the job after I had been working as a security guard for 10 years, mostly keeps his side of things as modern as possible. The web guy and the lead dev do all their coding in Visual FoxPro because reasons, and our order entry system still runs on FoxPro for DOS. All of that is supposed to change when our new website, which we contracted another company to write, is deployed, but that's been simmering for a couple years now while the lead dev (who refuses to collaborate or use source control, by the way) lethargically writes a back end to move things from the DBFs to SQL.

I've been here about 16 months. The other three IT employees are 15+ years entrenched and no new openings are likely to be created anytime soon, so there's not much upward mobility within the company. I don't want to be helpdesk forever, so I've realized that it's on me to advance my own knowledge. However, I feel like I'm not learning anything here that I could take with me to a position elsewhere. It's likely that I could talk the company into paying for certifications that I could justify, though, and other than fourth quarter I have a reasonable amount of downtime to study. I also have a Pluralsight sub.

Upward mobility or not, this sounds like a poo poo place to develop marketable skills and the entrenched people sound like they couldn't scale the product even if the company took off. Get out.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

How do people get t1 jobs? I've joined Indeed and other job engines with keyword searches but it's very dead. I'm located in NYC area so I guess I could be extremely unlucky too. In progress studying for A+ but figured irl exp would help a bit and I need more :10bux: for additional certs eventually.

I have checked the college job board but they get 1-2 new jobs which I vaguely qualify for every 2-3 weeks. I've checked the LinkedIn threads but otherwise still searching for stuff.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Vulture Culture posted:

Upward mobility or not, this sounds like a poo poo place to develop marketable skills and the entrenched people sound like they couldn't scale the product even if the company took off. Get out.

Came to post exactly this. This place sounds like a mismanaged shithole where no one actually knows how technology works. Get out yesterday.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Alder posted:

How do people get t1 jobs? I've joined Indeed and other job engines with keyword searches but it's very dead. I'm located in NYC area so I guess I could be extremely unlucky too. In progress studying for A+ but figured irl exp would help a bit and I need more :10bux: for additional certs eventually.

I have checked the college job board but they get 1-2 new jobs which I vaguely qualify for every 2-3 weeks. I've checked the LinkedIn threads but otherwise still searching for stuff.

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Desktop&l=New+York+City%2C+NY

What keywords are you trying? What type of T1 are you looking for? I've found indeed to be really helpful if you know what to punch in the search box, but if you try to narrow down what level of job you're looking for it will crap out. Try hitting on parts of the job title you may be interested in, like Desktop, Network (though I get a lot of nursing jobs thrown in this search), A+, CCNA, MSCA, or even the blanket IT and sifting through the gruff.

And always apply for jobs you'll be qualified for within a year. Maybe apply to jobs you'll qualify for in 2 years. You could always get lucky.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Desktop&l=New+York+City%2C+NY

What keywords are you trying? What type of T1 are you looking for? I've found indeed to be really helpful if you know what to punch in the search box, but if you try to narrow down what level of job you're looking for it will crap out. Try hitting on parts of the job title you may be interested in, like Desktop, Network (though I get a lot of nursing jobs thrown in this search), A+, CCNA, MSCA, or even the blanket IT and sifting through the gruff.

And always apply for jobs you'll be qualified for within a year. Maybe apply to jobs you'll qualify for in 2 years. You could always get lucky.

This is good advice. Also try to find IT networking events and go to those. That first job can often come down to just knowing someone.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Volmarias posted:

Came to post exactly this. This place sounds like a mismanaged shithole where no one actually knows how technology works. Get out yesterday.

That's why I posted. I originally saw this position as a foot in the IT field door, but more and more I feel like the time I spend here won't do anything for me in the long run except give me the ability to say "I've had an IT job before."

I live in Nashville, which is a reasonably sized city and should have opportunities, but I guess I wouldn't be opposed to relocating either if I found a good opening.

So my question was less "how do I get awesome at this company" and more "how do I form an exit strategy and have somewhere good to go when I'm still bottom of the barrel?"

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Dross posted:

That's why I posted. I originally saw this position as a foot in the IT field door, but more and more I feel like the time I spend here won't do anything for me in the long run except give me the ability to say "I've had an IT job before."

I live in Nashville, which is a reasonably sized city and should have opportunities, but I guess I wouldn't be opposed to relocating either if I found a good opening.

So my question was less "how do I get awesome at this company" and more "how do I form an exit strategy and have somewhere good to go when I'm still bottom of the barrel?"

PM me. My company is HQ'd there and I know people that know people. I've already placed one Nashville goon so let's double down...

Actually flying into Nashville for 3 days of training aka drinking tomorrow, just in time for snow!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

KS posted:

For the same price as the 2515H there are numerous 27" 2560x1440 panels out there. That's a weird size.

The 2415s are nice and the standard I buy for work -- have bought almost 200 with no issues or complaints.

Thanks. I now have 2x 2415s and they are money well spent coming from 2x 20" Samsungs from 2007. I don't think the 25" would have fitted properly on my desk.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Dark Helmut posted:

PM me. My company is HQ'd there and I know people that know people. I've already placed one Nashville goon so let's double down...

Actually flying into Nashville for 3 days of training aka drinking tomorrow, just in time for snow!

Sent you a PM. I'll be surprised if we get sticky snow, but let me know if you want to get a beer tomorrow (Thursday is my fiancee's birthday and Friday is the party).

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
The only reason I'm using pluralsight is because of the free six months. I do get the feeling it's not very good, especially when 90% of the powershell stuff is "run get-help".

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

siggy2021 posted:

especially when 90% of the powershell stuff is "run get-help".

That's 90% of Powershell though.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I'd be fine with it if that was 90% of the test.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Students moved back on campus. One dude was downloading a bunch of movies and Fallout 4, got caught by the copyright-checking-appliance. The dumb thing then proceeded to lock out the entire student side network and display a copyright violation notice, instead of singling out the MAC as it is supposed to. Now I get to troubleshoot that in a live environment... :suicide101:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

siggy2021 posted:

I'd be fine with it if that was 90% of the test.

It's bullshit that you can't type get-help on the exams.

I would be so much happier with their complicated Powershell questions if I could use the built in help.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Thanks Ants posted:

Thanks. I now have 2x 2415s and they are money well spent coming from 2x 20" Samsungs from 2007. I don't think the 25" would have fitted properly on my desk.

The generic ~$40 dual monitor arms work surprisingly well if you want to free up some surface space.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ITG90D0
http://www.amazon.com/VIVO-STAND-V002-Monitor-Adjustable-Screens/dp/B009S750LA/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have an Ergotron LX Dual :smuggo:

But yes, dual displays need a nice stand ideally.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Has anyone used one of these before?

Full Motion Dual Arm Desk Monitor Laptop Mount Stand

Was it worth it? I'm really curious if I could place my docking station on top then plug in my laptop.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

What do you think the salary for this position would be?

What would you guys do it for?

https://ghgcorp.applicantpro.com/jobs/333288.html

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sudo rm -rf posted:

gently caress I'd love to work in Antarctica, too bad Canada is at the wrong end of the globe

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

sudo rm -rf posted:

quote:

hubs
$350,000,000/year

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress I'd love to work in Antarctica, too bad Canada is at the wrong end of the globe

They don't staff it with people who can commute there, dude.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

sudo rm -rf posted:

Immediately. I'm tired of people.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

sudo rm -rf posted:

There was a thread at one time where a goon was working IT at McMurdo Station in Antarctica. He would lose Internet throughout the day. Someone with a better memory or archives should find the thread.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

They don't staff it with people who can commute there, dude.

No poo poo, I mean Canada has no presence there and nowhere to work, all the jobs there require you to be a citizen of another country, like USA in that ad

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

No poo poo, I mean Canada has no presence there and nowhere to work, all the jobs there require you to be a citizen of another country, like USA in that ad

Oh, I figured Canada had folks there. I guess you could just keep going north?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sudo rm -rf posted:

applied.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh, I figured Canada had folks there. I guess you could just keep going north?

It's all melting :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Stupid degree requirement. I will never understand why places want you to have a computer science degree to be an admin. "Can you set up a router?" "No, but I can tell you all about big O notation!"