Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I just don't get what you need to participate in them. This must be too complicated for my simple brain. Select the anime port, go to the challenges and pick the mission but it wants the ARP Myoko or ARP Kongo.. how do you get those or is that part of yet some other secret anime geek mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Those are the rewards for completing the two mission chains. You can do the missions themselves with any ship above tier 4.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Magni posted:

Those are the rewards for completing the two mission chains. You can do the missions themselves with any ship above tier 4.

Actually, the Kongo line takes a Tier V ship and the Myoko line takes a Tier VI ship.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

ranbo das posted:

Unfortunately, you can't train your IJN captains on them or sell them once you get them so the rewards are kinda useless.

what, seriously? where did you read this?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

demonR6 posted:

I just don't get what you need to participate in them. This must be too complicated for my simple brain. Select the anime port, go to the challenges and pick the mission but it wants the ARP Myoko or ARP Kongo.. how do you get those or is that part of yet some other secret anime geek mission?

You're looking at the Challenge section. In order to get the ships, you need to complete the chains in the Mission section. You don't need to specifically select them either, as you'll automatically fill in the required stuff so long as you meet the prerequisites(Random Battle, T5/6+).

Cobbsprite posted:

Actually, the Kongo line takes a Tier V ship and the Myoko line takes a Tier VI ship.

Specifically, it takes a ship of AT LEAST that tier, but there's nothing stopping you from using a higher tier one. So as long as you're using something 6+ all's well.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ranbo das posted:

The anime missions are hella easy and you have two months to do them.

Unfortunately, you can't train your IJN captains on them or sell them once you get them so the rewards are kinda useless.

I'm pretty sure that a premium Kongo, neon atrocity or no, is anything but useless.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I wouldnt rag on a prem Myoko, either. The regular one was a very nice ship to me before I advanced to the Mogami.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Got around to unlocking the Kiev, in the process of retraining my commander in a Murmansk (forgot how nice that ship is). I am ever so close to the 4 pt skill, is advanced firing training still the best pick for the Kiev? I don't plan to go past the Kiev in the line, so it's 100% for that ship only.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Only way I am killing 100 ships is if someone else does it for me.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Ahahaha, the 150 plane kill mission is bugged right now. It awards almost a million free xp! :stare:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Magni posted:

Ahahaha, the 150 plane kill mission is bugged right now. It awards almost a million free xp! :stare:

:gary::gifttank::yarg:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjcy0rndzks

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

what, seriously? where did you read this?

EU forums. Apparently you can't sell them or use them as trainers because only Arpeggio captains can use them.

xthetenth posted:

I'm pretty sure that a premium Kongo, neon atrocity or no, is anything but useless.

If I could use it to train IJN captains sure.

edit: it's not even premium apparently, just a reskin.

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 2, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I was probably going to seal a captain in a Kongo shaped steel coffin anyway, so what do I care that it's got the aesthetic grace of rave vomit?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

xthetenth posted:

I was probably going to seal a captain in a Kongo shaped steel coffin anyway, so what do I care that it's got the aesthetic grace of rave vomit?

Hell, I have a captain sealed suchwise as it is. If I can free him and gain a port slot, so be it.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Magni posted:

Confirmed.

I'm not spending mine, but this is hilarious.
loving Clear Sky though, its a pain in the rear end to get now.

I got it on the final plane kill to make 50. Ridiculous.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I'd be careful about spending any free xp you get from that bug, WG is already deleting topics about it on the forums.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Hazdoc posted:

I'd be careful about spending any free xp you get from that bug, WG is already deleting topics about it on the forums.

what's the worst they could do, take it away and leave you with negative free exp?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

what's the worst they could do, take it away and leave you with negative free exp?

ban people for "exploiting"
I don't know WG's modus operandi for poo poo like this, so I'm playing on the safe side

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Hazdoc posted:

Confirmed.

I'm not spending mine, but this is hilarious.
loving Clear Sky though, its a pain in the rear end to get now.

I got it on the final plane kill to make 50. Ridiculous.

I'd be willing to try it probably won't get the challenge done before they patch it. Good to know I don't have to shoot planes down with guns.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hazdoc posted:

ban people for "exploiting"
I don't know WG's modus operandi for poo poo like this, so I'm playing on the safe side

How are they going to ban me for something I knew nothing about that was their gently caress up because the loving idiots they employ can't code?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Just now starting and currently enjoying the hell out of the St. Louis as recommended, thanks for that. Going forward though, it seems like for a first tree it'd be better to branch off to battleships instead of fighting through a few ships to get heavily armed cruisers later down the line. Is that the case or are the Phoenix and Omaha fun as well?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Bob Mundon posted:

Just now starting and currently enjoying the hell out of the St. Louis as recommended, thanks for that. Going forward though, it seems like for a first tree it'd be better to branch off to battleships instead of fighting through a few ships to get heavily armed cruisers later down the line. Is that the case or are the Phoenix and Omaha fun as well?

if you enjoy fun you'll play american cruisers up to T6. the st Louis through the cleveland are all tremendous ships

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Bob Mundon posted:

The stock hull on the Phoenix is bad and feels like a big downgrade over the St. Louis. But once upgraded its a good ship; you just cant play it like the St. Louis. You dont want to expose your sides to an enemy, instead try to point towards or away from them at a 45 degree angle or less. You can still fire a useful amount of your guns, and enemy armor piercing shells are less likely to prison sex you. You have better range and speed than most ships at your tier, so you can use that to "kite" enemies by running away from them while still landing hits/starting fires. The Omaha is like a better Phoenix. The Cleveland plays differently, but is an even better ship. Most people will tell you that the tier 7+ American cruisers are disappointing however.

If you go the American battleships route, don't despair over the South Carolina. Its not very good. It can be super frustrating to wait 30 seconds for the guns to load, then barely scratch or even completely miss a juicy target because of the terrible accuracy. The Wyoming is much better, The New York ain't bad and I found the New Mexico to be excellent. The only real downer about the line is that the Montana at tier X does not stack up very well against the Yamato.

Tiers 4-6 are very good for making silver in this game, so dont be afraid to always be working a line up to this level. Its beyond tier 6 that things start to get expensive and require a serious commitment.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I remember getting poo poo on a lot in the NY by much bigger ships with longer range and CV'S would prioritize me due to lack of mobility.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

The Rev posted:

Got around to unlocking the Kiev, in the process of retraining my commander in a Murmansk (forgot how nice that ship is). I am ever so close to the 4 pt skill, is advanced firing training still the best pick for the Kiev? I don't plan to go past the Kiev in the line, so it's 100% for that ship only.

Yes. Because a) its fire chance is still pretty good after the nerf, b) its shells travel fast so you'll actually be able to hit your targets at max range and c) Last Stand is less useful than AFT on Kiev considering the shell travel time and considering that Kiev is so pacy and easy to dodge with that you won't have to worry too much about getting your engine disabled all the time.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I got temp banned for the "exploit" but it was for "investigation purposes". They unbanned me after a few hours (this all happened while I was at work), and I got a week of premium.

:iiam:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Hazdoc posted:

I got temp banned for the "exploit" but it was for "investigation purposes". They unbanned me after a few hours (this all happened while I was at work), and I got a week of premium.

:iiam:

Did you get to keep the free exp? That's the most important thing.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

Did you get to keep the free exp? That's the most important thing.

Its still on my account... huh. I'm gonna have to put in a ticket about this.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hazdoc posted:

Its still on my account... huh. I'm gonna have to put in a ticket about this.

So.. you achieved the mission, received the free xp and got temp banned for it? And they didn't even remove it?
What a bunch of doofus.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Today I discovered that an Admiral Hipper can pen a New Mexico at will from 10-14km

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Dalael posted:

So.. you achieved the mission, received the free xp and got temp banned for it? And they didn't even remove it?
What a bunch of doofus.

temp banned so the devs could look at my account, I guess. Its pretty normal stuff when bugs or exploits happen, I've had it happen before on league of legends

They don't want you logging into your account while a dev has been messing with it, to find that they temporarily gave you dev tools to identify a problem on your account, and you abuse them to rename a fuckton of people and mess with things

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I'd bet money it's because line level CSRs probably don't have the access or tools to alter things like that on an account. Outright ban someone, temp bans, whatever, that's fine, you're talking about something affecting an account as a whole. But changing a number inside someones account ? Probably not. Management probably thinks the CSRs would abuse this and all of a sudden all of their friends have 9.23 x 10E7 free xp/gold/flags/whatever, plus having to set up/debug/maintain tools for monkeys that can alter data in a most likely very huge database.

If it's going to get fixed it will probably require escalation to a more trusted level, and no telling how many accounts are in this situation.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

They probably got an alert that you got a sudden fuckton jump in free exp. Probably happens automatically, since they had no "transaction" with you.

Anyway, a free week of premium, and 500k+ free xp... I'll take a temp ban any time they want.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

They probably got an alert that you got a sudden fuckton jump in free exp. Probably happens automatically, since they had no "transaction" with you.

Anyway, a free week of premium, and 500k+ free xp... I'll take a temp ban any time they want.

I BR'd it to them when it happened, so they didn't exactly have to look very hard.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Enjoy your free xp, lucky bastard

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/63511-bug-with-arpeggio-missions/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

NTRabbit posted:

Today I discovered that an Admiral Hipper can pen a New Mexico at will from 10-14km

8" AP is severely underrated. A heavy cruiser can get 2k-4.5k damage on penetrations regularly against BBs up to at least tier VII. You'll never get a citadel or knock out a main turret, but you can do steady damage that doesn't stop eventually like HE damage.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

These are the times in my life I wish vacations meant playing games. That would have got me like Five tier X. Oh well. Nothing 100 bucks couldn't fix.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Fixed. Oh well, at least I can go to bed now instead of grinding this nonsense all night.

(although I'm wondering if this also means it's fixed on EU)

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

jownzy posted:

These are the times in my life I wish vacations meant playing games. That would have got me like Five tier X. Oh well. Nothing 100 bucks couldn't fix.

You'd still need 100 bucks worth of credit though