Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

alf_pogs posted:

to be fair to weaver and h.r. i think strange sexual horror has been sort of part of the implication of alien from the start - so i can see why youd want to pursue it thematically. but yeah ressurection is as subtle as getting smashed by bricks

Yeah I wouldn't hold any of this against either person - Scott himself talks all about this stuff and what he considered putting in or not in the final movie too, it's not like this was some super bizarre stuff on their part considering even the final movie.

Open Marriage Night posted:

She’s the one that wanted to be turned into a dog in Ghostbusters.

Don't act like this wouldn't have at least improved Ghostbusters II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Simplex posted:

That's the big problem. Instead of sexual imagery and subtext, Alien orgy is in the actual text of the film.

I don't think so, you just get a brief clip of Ripley falling through the floor and landing in a biomechanical nest that she slowly sinks into, and then a scene of her being carried to the queens chamber. Stylistically it's a good scene and ties in well with the rest of the body horror that they go wild with in the movie, as well as the sadomasochistic themes and the alien being presented as seductive, which is an interesting route to take.

They basically recreated the so-called orgy visual for the Covenant promo poster anyways.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Darko posted:

4 had penises oozing all over the place covered in KY Jelly and one of them giving someone a facial, with the climax of the movie having a big orgy with them. It was just missing the original Newborn design which was super blatant vaginal (more than the Queens hood).

True. But what I was getting at was the overtly human sexual aspects of the original design mean it doesn't make any sense as a literal extraterrestrial animal. That's a big part of its enduring horror.

That orgy scene in the fourth film brings back the nightmare quality briefly. But for the rest of the film the xenomorphs are pretty much depicted literally, as imprisoned animals escaping confinement.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If Ridley wasn't a coward he would've had an Engineer hang dong.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Groovelord Neato posted:

It would be a deep statement about distant fathers, seeding new life and abandoning it only to return disappointed that your absentee parenting lead to a reprobate child.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Groovelord Neato posted:

So his last moments were to jizz on the waterfall?

I could live with that.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Yeah Prometheus is p good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKYxIaZtOVY

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Groovelord Neato posted:

what do you think the xenomorph is?? :smuggo:

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Doubt an alien making love to you would be a great experience, just ask Lambert.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SirDrone posted:

an alien making love to you would be a great experience, just ask Sigourney weaver.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SirDrone posted:

Doubt an alien making love to you would be a great experience, just ask Brett.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SirDrone posted:

an alien making love to you would be a great experience, just ask David Fincher’s career

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
I picked the alien rpg book up frok amazon with taxes, it will be be here soon. Anything else i need? Special dice etc? My girl and i have built a group up to try it but none of them have done pen n paper games like this. I played shadowrun a long time ago but i dont remember much. Would love advice as well. I mainly bought it for the lore and errata but im stoked to try it out.

I also have the colonial marines technical book, is it usable in game in anyway?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You only need six sided dice to play. We’re too lazy to make an rpg thread, so feel free to ask any questions here. It’s a great book.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Is the Weyland-Yutani Report book any good? It’s on clearance at this bookshop.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

Is the Weyland-Yutani Report book any good? It’s on clearance at this bookshop.

It’s a little dated and it’s more of a coffee table book than an actual “reference book” like, say, the USCM Tech Manual or the Blueprints book (or even the RPG). It leans heavily on the first two movies and not so much the last two, but that’s the trend with most Aliens products. The production values are great and it’s got some neat details (such as learning that Dr Gediman from Alien Resurrection infuriatingly wrote all of his science reports as cryptic haikus, because of course he would) but it gets a couple details wrong, and doesn’t really have anything clever or revelatory and doesn’t live up to the potential of its premise.

If you’re expecting a definitive, exhaustive in-universe guide to the Alien series, you will be disappointed. If you’re expecting a fun coffee-table book aimed at casual audiences and low-key fans who like the first two movies a lot, then it’s a good time. If it’s on clearance then yeah I’d say it’s worth a buy.

l33tfuzzbox posted:

I also have the colonial marines technical book, is it usable in game in anyway?
It’s “usable” in the sense that the RPG references it heavily, so anything you crib from it for “world building” or technical data or whatever isn’t going to contradict anything from the RPG.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Open Marriage Night posted:

You only need six sided dice to play. We’re too lazy to make an rpg thread, so feel free to ask any questions here. It’s a great book.

They sell two sets of special dice. One set for regular rolling with a target marker in place of the six to indicate a Success. One set of Stress dice you can add to your roll when your character has accumulated an Stress points. The Stress dice have the target marker for a success, and a facehugger in place of the one to represent a Fail. Rolling with Stress means you have a better chance of rolling Successes, but adds the possibility of things going really wrong if any Fails come up. That's the "Adrenaline is a hell of a drug" rule, and it's a clever mechanic.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The Memory documentary is weird. It was really great for about 30 minutes and then it spends about an hour on just the chestburster scene and then just ends. I know it's a hugely iconic scene but that seemed like overkill and they basically stop talking about the rest of the movie after that and it ends abruptly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jay Benedict, who played Newt's father in the Aliens Special Edition has died. :smith:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

Jay Benedict, who played Newt's father in the Aliens Special Edition has died. :smith:

We have to do an autopsy, in case he died of, um, cholera.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

He's dead alright, can we go now?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The_Doctor posted:

drat, of Coronavirus too. poo poo's hosed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

sigher posted:

drat, of Coronavirus too. poo poo's hosed.

I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/80sForNow/status/1248116653247705089?s=20

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Happy Alien Day everybody, the game Alien: Blackout is free on the Google Play store and Apple App Store today.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Happy alien day

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/swin24/status/1254507649502261257

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Movie Twitter is almost as dumb as CineD

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

UmOk posted:

It's pretty much the same thing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

UmOk posted:

...eh? "Aliens is actually a Vietnam allegory" is like the coldest take of all time

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

UmOk posted:

Aliens is definitely better than Platoon.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...eh? "Aliens is actually a Vietnam allegory" is like the coldest take of all time

Next you'll be telling me it is about motherhood as power.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Darko posted:

Next you'll be telling me it is about motherhood as power.

But Newt is the only kid in the movie and she says her mom is long-dead?? and the Queen is the shittiest mom of all time since she keeps letting the other Aliens get killed.

Fuckin CineD :rolleyes:

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

This was my freshman final paper in World history 101. Aliens v A Rumor of War

I am sure it was garbage.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Quote continues to not be edit...

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
If Aliens is a Vietnam allegory that makes the movie super hosed up and gross.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

UmOk posted:

I think the most charitable read is the allegory is mostly around the marines and their circumstances. Overconfident, no real concept or understanding of who their enemy is, counting on technology to overcome any foe without any real commitment of flesh and blood.

It's still an Aliens movie so you can't go making them sympathetic, but I don't think the allegory is supposed to cut so far as to say "the Vietnamese were a hive of savage monsters."

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Aliens pulls in as many old Western motifs as Vietnam movie motifs. The marines are the cavalry riding in to save the settlers, but it's too late and they've all been massacred by the *savages*.

But I don't think the movie is really about Western myths or the Vietnam War as much as it's about Cameron's all-time favorite theme: corporate malfeasance.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PeterWeller posted:

Aliens pulls in as many old Western motifs as Vietnam movie motifs. The marines are the cavalry riding in to save the settlers, but it's too late and they've all been massacred by the *savages*.

They haven't been massacred, they've gone native.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

UmOk posted:

As much as I love this movie, I also personally didn't like the Vietnam allegory stuff, especially with lines like "Nuke the site from orbit..."

James Cameron can be really hawkish.