Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You should let Lavrov know he's negotiating under the delusion that he's threatening to invade Ukraine, he's going to be so embarrased!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

lollontee posted:

your paranoid delusions of russian invasion of ukraine do not argument good make

although there is something to be said of the ability of certain people to psycically will things upon reality, such as wmd's and reasons for ukrainian armed nazis to try and move the front lines

I don't think you're posting in good faith, but what do you call the massive Russian military buildup on the Ukrainian border?

Preemptive self-defense against imperialism?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

lollontee posted:

um, so in case you wanna go and run with this thing, it was an interview of Hunter of the Vostok battalion, but i dont think i should say more than that now

i mean, you were the one who decided to bring up Prizrak, and the topic of DNR/LNR battalions in general lol (i do recall there being quite a few "conspiracy" "theories" at the time - which i'm kinda inching towards believing, actually - about both russia and ukraine using the civil war as dumping grounds for their assorted psychos, with the hope that they all go ahead and kill each other. shame about all the civilian deaths resulting from that though)

fake e: also lol at this:

lollontee posted:

the yeltsin occupation

fwiw i do agree that russia is exceedingly unlikely to attack. i'm also not a fan of hyperbolising the extent to which russia is autocratic / authoritarian - however, it does seem to me like it's been on a decline since probably around 2011 or so in that regard

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Generation Internet posted:

I don't think you're posting in good faith, but what do you call the massive Russian military buildup on the Ukrainian border?

sure, why not! you could call it a dozen things, but seeing any of them as hostile while we are talking about a sovereign nation moving soldiers inside its border, confronted with a global Empire most definately moving its soldiers outside its internationally recognized borders, you can sort of start to see a certain dichotomy of insanity in the emotional reaction to it?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

brave fighters against the forces of imperialism and fascism itt

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

nurmie posted:

i

fwiw i do agree that russia is exceedingly unlikely to attack. i'm also not a fan of hyperbolising the extent to which russia is autocratic / authoritarian - however, it does seem to me like it's been on a decline since probably around 2011 or so in that regard

NTV takeover was *2001*.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Generation Internet posted:

The typical tankie response is "oh well, why are you getting upset about countries moving troops in their own borders lol". Despite frequently rabidly fearmongering about the NATO troops in countries on Russia's borders.

They also refuse to recognize that the NATO troops are both insufficient to mount offensive operations and that NATO and its members unambiguously emphasize such. But a mass of Russian forces with real offensive capability coupled with overt threats is no big deal because of tankie brainworms.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

What is this from

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

What is this from

Leszek Kołakowski's' "My Correct Views on Everything"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

lollontee posted:

sure, why not! you could call it a dozen things, but seeing any of them as hostile while we are talking about a sovereign nation moving soldiers inside its border, confronted with a global Empire most definately moving its soldiers outside its internationally recognized borders, you can sort of start to see a certain dichotomy of insanity in the emotional reaction to it?

Except for that whole part where they basically already have had troops inside Ukraine for ages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Donbas

Unless you think these well equipped partisans just popped out of nowhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Ukrainian_War

Yeah, I'm sure they did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Ukrainian_War#Details_of_Russian_involvement_in_Donbas

I especially love repeated Russian military incursions because "They got lost". Or how most of the partisans have openly state they trained in Russia, with Russian military units before being sent to Ukraine.

quote:

Cases of Russian soldiers killed and wounded in Ukraine are widely discussed in local Russian media in the republics from which they originated.[493] Recruitment for Donbas is performed rather openly via veteran and other paramilitary organisations. Vladimir Yefimov, leader of one of such organisations, explained in details in an interview how the process works in Ural area. The organisation recruits mostly army veterans, but also policemen, firefighters etc. with military experience. The cost of equipping one volunteer is estimated at around 350,000 rubles (around $6500) plus cost of the volunteer's salary from 60,000 to 240,000 rubles per month depending on their experience. The volunteers are issued a document claiming that their participation is limited to "offering humanitarian help" to avoid Russian mercenary laws. In Russia's anti-mercenary legislation a mercenary is defined as someone who "takes part [in fighting] with aims counter to the interests of the Russian Federation".[494] The recruited travel to the conflict zone without weapons, which are given at the destination. Often, Russian troops have travelled disguised as Red Cross personnel.[193][495][496][497] Igor Trunov, head of Russian Red Cross in Moscow condemned these convoys, saying they made delivery of real humanitarian aid more difficult.[498]

Or even better: That the partisian taken areas are not even governed by the Partisians, but actual Russian delegations:

quote:

In March 2016, Germany's Bild reported that minutes from an October 2015 meeting of the "Interministerial Commission for the Provision of Humanitarian Aid for the Affected Areas of the Southeast of the Donetsk and Luhansk Regions" indicated that Russia was running militant-controlled parts of east Ukraine. According to Bild, "It is notable that no members of the self-declared people's republics in eastern Ukraine are on the commission"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 21, 2022

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Russia just can't control where the well armed russian army vacationers go to.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xarn posted:

Russia just can't control where the well armed russian army vacationers go to.

English border guard: "Welcome to UK! Your name, please."
Russian tourist: "Ivan Petrov."
Guard: "Occupation?"
Tourist: "No, just travelling."

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Remember that one time not so long ago when Russia shot down a commercial passenger jet full of people flying over Ukraine?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lollontee posted:

- Joseph Stalin, June 20 1941

At least this guy is ideologically consistent with his idol in being willfully dense.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

QuoProQuid posted:

When you're a hammer, the world looks like it's made of nails.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Except for that whole part where they basically already have had troops inside Ukraine for ages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Donbas

Unless you think these well equipped partisans just popped out of nowhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Ukrainian_War

Yeah, I'm sure they did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Ukrainian_War#Details_of_Russian_involvement_in_Donbas

I especially love repeated Russian military incursions because "They got lost"

those partisans popped out of these graves

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2014/9/22/in-pictures-destruction-in-ukraines-luhansk/

ukrainian nazis started this war by driving over peaceful protestors with tanks, and thats why luhansk and donetsk are willing to accept help from anyone to avoid falling under the rule of murderers and nazis

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

lollontee posted:

your paranoid delusions of russian invasion of ukraine do not argument good make

although there is something to be said of the ability of certain people to psycically will things upon reality, such as wmd's and reasons for ukrainian armed nazis to try and move the front lines

So the massing of Russian troops on the border with Ukraine, and the deployment of 6 landing ships from the Black Sea fleet is for...?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

lollontee posted:

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2014/9/22/in-pictures-destruction-in-ukraines-luhansk/

ukrainian nazis started this war by driving over peaceful protestors with tanks, and thats why luhansk and donetsk are willing to accept help from anyone to avoid falling under the rule of murderers and nazis

What part of "armed militants attempt to seize control of local governments" constitutes "peaceful protest?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lollontee posted:

Pretty sure that the insurgency predates that grave and that article but nice job shifting the goal posts.

Also: you do realize when you say "Not fall under the rule of Murderers and Nazis" you are talking about accepting help from a leader that has openly conducted campaigns of murder against dissidents and has a history of using chemical and neurological weapons against both his enemies, dissidents, and civilians?

You are aware you are talking about Putin, right?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 21, 2022

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Pretty sure that the insurgency predates that grave and that article but nice job shifting the goal posts.

what goal posts, you just posted a series of wikipedia links and something about.... what biden said during the early conflict? but yeah, when you got ethnic massacres going on, a separatist rebellion is kinda the inevitable result

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Also: you do realize when you say "Not fall under the rule of Murderers and Nazis" you are talking about accepting help from a leader that has openly conducted campaigns of murder against dissidents and has a history of using chemical and neurological weapons against both his enemies, dissidents, and civilians?

You are aware you are talking about Putin, right?

stop loving editing your posts in response to my later posts. if you are currently being ethnically cleansed, i do indeed think it is morally ok to accept any and all help coming in, no matter the source

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

isn't lollontee the genocide denialist who pops up repeatedly in the china thread claiming that the uyghurs are saudi-financed agents or some poo poo?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lollontee posted:

what goal posts, you just posted a series of wikipedia links and something about.... what biden said during the early conflict? but yeah, when you got ethnic massacres going on, a separatist rebellion is kinda the inevitable result

No at this point you are just making poo poo up, its pretty well recorded that none of that happened prior to Russian financing of rebels and insurgents.

What you are claiming isn't even in the initial timeline, you are literally repeating Russian claims:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_war_in_Donbas_(2014)

lollontee posted:

stop loving editing your posts in response to my later posts. if you are currently being ethnically cleansed, i do indeed think it is morally ok to accept any and all help coming in, no matter the source

They are not being ethnically cleansed though? Where are you even getting this claim? The only ones claiming there's some "Risk to Ethnics" is Russia, and its basically all fabricated to give them pretense to fund an insurgency.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 21, 2022

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

lollontee posted:

And your evidence for said ethnic massacres is?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
could you maybe moderate the thread before debating me commiegir. like maybe ban that guy under you accusing me of genocide denialism

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lollontee posted:

could you maybe moderate the thread before debating me commiegir. like maybe ban that guy under you accusing me of genocide denialism

I'll let another mod deal with it: Answer the question. Where is the claim of Ethnic cleansing come from? On what basis? Mysteriously, the claims of Ethnic Cleansing didn't occur until AFTER Yunokovich fled and Russia was already caught on tape openly planning the annexation of Crimea.

Russia has ENTIRELY claimed there was a risk to "Ethnic Russians" in Donbas, literally pulling a card from the Invasion of Poland to justify Russian support for an insurgency. Its also funny given that the SBU and Ukraine has openly caught Pro Russian Nazis trying to stir up violence in the past

quote:

Russian neo-Nazi Anton Rayevsky (a member of the Black Hundreds organization) who had attended the pro-Russian "anti-fascist" protest in Odessa of 23 March, was deported from Ukraine and banned from entering the country. He was accused of attempted sabotage and attempting provoking armed conflict. The SBU also found material calling for ethnic hatred and killing Ukrainians and Jews in the Odessa region.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 21, 2022

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

lollontee posted:

lollontee posted:

i know, i have plenty of migrant friends whove spoken with uighurs fleeing chinese state repression, who tell me it was because of religious conflict

thing is of course, that was the intended result with the CIA Saudi arm flooding the state with wahhabi madrassas and sending the uighur jihadists held in guantanamo bay back over the border to make trouble

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lollontee posted:

so why do you think the US keeps flip-flopping on treating ETIM as a terrorist organization or an NED recipient? surely it cant have been to use the ETIM to spread radical jihadist and nationalist sentiment in an effort to incite terrorism in places they want, like in Syria or China, depending on the foreign policy priorities of the american empire at any given moment

lollontee posted:

is your brain accidentally saying things you actually believe? western media fabricating genocides or denying them is something that happens constantly in front of your own eyes, dunno youre so angry at me for it

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

I'll let another mod deal with it: Answer the question. Where is the claim of Ethnic cleansing come from? On what basis? Mysteriously, the claims of Ethnic Cleansing didn't occur until AFTER Yunokovich fled and Russia was already caught on tape openly planning the annexation of Crimea.

Russia has ENTIRELY claimed there was a risk to "Ethnic Russians" in Donbas, literally pulling a card from the Invasion of Poland to justify Russian support for an insurgency. Its also funny given that the SBU and Ukraine has openly caught Pro Russian Nazis trying to stir up violence in the past

what kind of evidence would you like? news links from 2014?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Huh. I didn't know the Black Hundreds had cropped up again. Wikipedia only has an entry for the Tsarist-era ones.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

BoldFace posted:

Remember that one time not so long ago when Russia shot down a commercial passenger jet full of people flying over Ukraine?

I'm sure the bad dreams about that will keep Putin from invading this time!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lollontee posted:

what kind of evidence would you like? news links from 2014?

Your article in NO WAY states there is ethnic cleansing, and is largely talking about the cease fire and deaths from the insurgency, so again, if the insurgency was about stopping some sort of ethnic cleaning, you think they'd mention that.

So where is your claim of ethnic cleansing? The article is about Luhansk which is, effectively, a contested city in a warzone. That's not proof of the ethnic cleansing you claim it is. The bodies are largely rebels killed in sporadic fighting.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
lollontee seems less a useful idiot than an explicit foot soldier for fascist propaganda

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Your article in NO WAY states there is ethnic cleansing, and is largely talking about the cease fire and deaths from the insurgency, so again, if the insurgency was about stopping some sort of ethnic cleaning, you think they'd mention that.

So where is your claim of ethnic cleansing? The article is about Luhansk which is, effectively, a contested city in a warzone. That's not proof of the ethnic cleansing you claim it is.

that was just a random article that popped up, but if i understand correctly, you want me to write a timeline of the grievances that led the people of Donetsk and Luhansk to rise up in an actual peoples revolt. which is quite the request, if that is what you want?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lollontee posted:

that was just a random article that popped up, but if i understand correctly, you want me to write a timeline of the grievances that led the people of Donetsk and Luhansk to rise up in an actual peoples revolt. which is quite the request, if that is what you want?

No I want you to, within the frame of the CURRENT Insurgency and Russian intervention, show me where this ethnic cleansing is? If your argument rests on Donbass needing Russian support to stop a genocide, then show me where that is and when was it occurring from 2014 till now?

Where was the imminent threat? When did it start?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

lollontee posted:

What is the difference, in your opinion, between 'an actual peoples revolt' and a colour revolution?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Can we get a loving moderator doing their job in here FOR ONCE?

This is below the dignity of everybody involved, except for documented genocide denial expert lollontee

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 21, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

According to FT, Russia is open to further diplomacy on the topic of Ukraine, as a consequence to today’s meeting between Blinken and Lavrov. At the same time, Russia has clarified that it demand NATO troops entirely gone from east of Germany, it seems, since the FT article is saying the demand is for “NATO to remove all its forces from Bulgaria, Romania, and other ex-communist states”.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lollontee posted:

I'm sorry your best buddy Nazis got hurt

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

lollontee posted:

I agree, CommieGIR should moderate the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

steinrokkan posted:

I'm sorry your best buddy Nazis got hurt

Seems like if both sides of a conflict have actual Nazis fighting a war maybe we shouldn't take a side and let them sort it out, reminds me a bit of Syria huh