Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the entire process has also been, not "troublesome", but full of new challenges? the first game was a mostly one man operation; many other people helped, but afaik something like 80% of it was one man

deltarune is larger, more ambitious, is starting with the goal of "ported to a bunch of platforms and in many languages", and every update mentions a new change in how they're doing things, either bringing on more people, delegating responsibilities, or dealing with injuries/wrists

and if you think the timing here is bad, well, there's always half-life 2 and its chapter-based releases :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
It'll be ready when its ready, there's plenty of other games to play and its not like anyone has paid so much of a cent for the game yet. I really don't find it that egregious considering he's very clearly doing a ton of other things at any given moment. And as has been pointed out, all signs indicate this hasn't been strictly linear development, some stuff has already been done for chapters 4 and 5.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oh cmon, Toby wouldn't release like this anyway Lol

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

So happy I got another Burgerpants

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I got a Halloween card from sans

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

There's even a japanese version so you know its real

Oh there's a google doc documenting every single card.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BDq4HaxqcopkGkauSK4kFZI9LbtOtTuoT1B_rXuMx78/preview

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 14, 2024

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
Worth noting that, especially in Japanese, mystery card writer doesn't actually talk at all like Gaster (all hiragana vs katakana and kanji). So we have two ominous allcaps weirdos with meta knowledge, apparently.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Grandpa Semi....

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Eight years of dev time and we are currently about six months away from being officially 3/7ths done with what is basically a fancy rpgmaker game.

The promise had been made.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

risky business posted:

Worth noting that, especially in Japanese, mystery card writer doesn't actually talk at all like Gaster (all hiragana vs katakana and kanji). So we have two ominous allcaps weirdos with meta knowledge, apparently.

one interesting observation i have made is that many of valentines day cards have ~6600 unique colors, and a few others have exactly 256 colors, instead (based on irfanview's count)

wonder if there's any weird dataminable poo poo in these

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The valentines are actually the chapter 3 drop, you have to follow the clues to combine them into a single binary executable file

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Never fear, I'm sure everything is well in hand. If they needed help... surely my application... :ohdear:

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

... thank you Toby

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The youtube vid is something.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Not meaning to sound bitchy (in that case, shouldn't I get a personality replacement?) but I was under the impression that the point of having a game in episodes meant that you could release it... Episodically?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Samovar posted:

Not meaning to sound bitchy (in that case, shouldn't I get a personality replacement?) but I was under the impression that the point of having a game in episodes meant that you could release it... Episodically?

I'm pretty sure Toby is going to do Shenanigans with the ability to select chapters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I just chose a very distant date in my head and I'm waiting to see if I was right or not. Will Deltarune be completed by 2042 or will I still be waiting for more updates? Only time will tell, I can only be pleasantly surprised if that turns out to be overshooting things.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Zamujasa posted:

one interesting observation i have made is that many of valentines day cards have ~6600 unique colors, and a few others have exactly 256 colors, instead (based on irfanview's count)

wonder if there's any weird dataminable poo poo in these

Some are PNGs, others are GIFs

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Get your kisses ready for Spamton, cause he has his ready for you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_UfDfoRmo

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 14, 2024

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Samovar posted:

I don't think Deltarune was originally meant to be episodic. I think Toby originally meant to release everything after chapter 1 at once, but the length of development alongside Covid made him decide to release the game in chunks. The chapters were probably originally just meant for pacing, as well as letting you go back to section more quickly when replaying, which would be especially important for letting players collect the secret bosses' shadow crystals more easily.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

my uncle works at Toby and he said it's all going to be released on my birthday as a special present for me

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CandyCrazy posted:

I don't think Deltarune was originally meant to be episodic. I think Toby originally meant to release everything after chapter 1 at once, but the length of development alongside Covid made him decide to release the game in chunks. The chapters were probably originally just meant for pacing, as well as letting you go back to section more quickly when replaying, which would be especially important for letting players collect the secret bosses' shadow crystals more easily.

this is also more or less how undertale was released, but instead of chapters it was just a demo and then the rest of the game

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Samovar posted:

To be fair it wasn't really meant to be episodic in the first place. Chapter 1 was essentially supposed to be the demo, but they decided to release chapter 2 earlier since 2020 sucked so much, with chapters 3 through 5 being released as a batch later. Which then got downsized to releasing Chapters 3 and 4 as a batch later.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

this is also more or less how undertale was released, but instead of chapters it was just a demo and then the rest of the game

although in undertales case the demo was to promote the kickstarter, which they obviously didn't need to do this time since toby has more money than god now

i backed the kickstarter but i can't for the life of me remember how it got on my radar, i wasn't into homestuck so it wasn't that connection

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The three valentines that I got, the Ralsei one I believe was already posted but I haven't seen the other two yet:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Somehow two different youtubers manage to get videos more then an hour long out of this newsletter. One of them is two hours.

I'm going to watch them but I won't be happy about it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

CandyCrazy posted:

Araxxor posted:

To be fair it wasn't really meant to be episodic in the first place. Chapter 1 was essentially supposed to be the demo, but they decided to release chapter 2 earlier since 2020 sucked so much, with chapters 3 through 5 being released as a batch later. Which then got downsized to releasing Chapters 3 and 4 as a batch later.

Well, that's me schooled. Slightly less annoyed about it not being out.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Samovar posted:

Well, that's me schooled. Slightly less annoyed about it not being out.

Hang on I'll fix that.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Hang on I'll fix that.

lmao at palworld in this lineup

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I have a feeling part of those 8 years involved getting an actual team and doing project management related stuff. Like, Undertale was Toby with 2 programming helpers and mostly extra artists like Everdread or Temmie Chang, while Deltarune seems to be involving way more people. And once you start getting an actual development team you better set a good basis for project managing or it's gonna be hell.

Of course it could also be they are specifically in that hell, but we can only guess.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't believe he's only 3/7ths of the way finished with the game after 8 years of nonstop work and 0 side projects and distractions.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

repiv posted:

although in undertales case the demo was to promote the kickstarter, which they obviously didn't need to do this time since toby has more money than god now

i backed the kickstarter but i can't for the life of me remember how it got on my radar, i wasn't into homestuck so it wasn't that connection

The demo got around the general gaming public, the gimmicks already there were interesting on their own

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah i backed it based on the demo but there were only about 2400 backers in total, it didn't spread that far

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I got the demo because of an SA ad funnily enough.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

:allears:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
that really just reminded me how much Undertale/Deltarune are one of the Big Obvious Homestuck successors, right up there with The Locked Tomb book series by Tamsyn Miur and Kill Six Billion Demons.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mta_uA3z2Yk

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

How are these animations so good :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp