Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Couple pics from 2011 oyster run

Was sunny there but cold and rainy going and coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

quote:

Was sunny there but cold and rainy going and coming.

That'd be the north sound convergence zone trying to ruin your day!

From a trip down the Oregon Coast - as soon as we entered Lincoln City (our destination), the air cleaner decided to escape from my friend's Road King. That was its second air cleaner, out of three that were ultimately lost. The last one came off coming home from Sturgis in 2010; we were abut 3 miles from home when it did. So at least its semiconvenient with its mount failures.

Now we pack "Harley wire" for every trip.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I'm a pretty new poster to Cycle Asylum but I made these here videos with my new GoPro HD Hero 2. I'm awaiting a mount for the handlebars so I mounted the camera to my helmet. My first foray into youtubing so please go easy on me:

Here's me driving to buy some Bawls...

...and here I am driving home to enjoy my Bawls.

Sorry for all the wind and road noise, I'm a noob at this poo poo.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

clutchpuck posted:

That'd be the north sound convergence zone trying to ruin your day!

From a trip down the Oregon Coast - as soon as we entered Lincoln City (our destination), the air cleaner decided to escape from my friend's Road King. That was its second air cleaner, out of three that were ultimately lost. The last one came off coming home from Sturgis in 2010; we were abut 3 miles from home when it did. So at least its semiconvenient with its mount failures.

Now we pack "Harley wire" for every trip.

God drat :911:. Was that a custom air filter or OEM?

If you're designing a motorcycle around an aesthetic that negatively impacts performance, you should at least compensate for it.

I bought a shifter and it came with a poster:

A bra made of shifters and brake pedals :v:

Its pretty nice though, definitely an upgrade:

Random sumo pic just 'cause

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Gullous posted:

God drat :911:. Was that a custom air filter or OEM?

If you're designing a motorcycle around an aesthetic that negatively impacts performance, you should at least compensate for it.

I bought a shifter and it came with a poster:

A bra made of shifters and brake pedals :v:

Its pretty nice though, definitely an upgrade:

Random sumo pic just 'cause

Ooh pretty, where does one get some orange shifters?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Thats so much prettier than silver aluminum.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

clownskull posted:

I'm a pretty new poster to Cycle Asylum but I made these here videos with my new GoPro HD Hero 2. I'm awaiting a mount for the handlebars so I mounted the camera to my helmet. My first foray into youtubing so please go easy on me:

Going easy.

1. Trim that poo poo down. 9 minute videos of you idling in traffic will never be watched. Also I don't need you to mumble at me while you put on your gloves.

2. Get gear. Was that shorts and armored knee pads?

3. Quit trying to talk unless you have a mic in your helmet, with a go pro unless you voice over it later you ain't hearing poo poo.

4. Also if you're trying to talk, don't. Unless you can add some funny stuff to it of which I've only seen 1 moto "vlogger" that even came close. All the others just suck.

5. Trim your videos the gently caress down. Average youtube attention span is max 1:30. If it's somewhat funny 3:00. It has to be pretty much amazing to get a lot of views on anything over 5:00.

Just sayin.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Silver posted:

4. Also if you're trying to talk, don't. Unless you can add some funny stuff to it of which I've only seen 1 moto "vlogger" that even came close. All the others just suck.

Was it this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ksKNy9vZ6U

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

This was at the shop today - amazing bike.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

clownskull posted:

Fix your aspect ratio. It's giving me a headache. And yea, get gear.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Deeters posted:

Was it this guy?

No.

Fkin posted:

This was at the shop today - amazing bike.

Just a Q, why is it an amazing bike?

Content:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Silver posted:

No.

Just a Q, why is it an amazing bike?

Content:

For a number of reasons (IMHO of course) in no particular order:

1) It is a non-standard stretched bike - most of these like Big dog and what not are too low to the ground and have big ride issues as a result. The two bikes on the last page are good examples. Pretty bikes but not real fun to ride and a pain to maintain.
2) Despite having goood ground clearance it has a 16 ish inch seat height, which is pretty darn cool if you are into that. I like softails and low bikes so I like it.
3) Custom built, well cared for and fast.
4) Unlike a lot of posers with choppers, he rides it year round like I ride mine that thing has over 20k miles and it is pretty new. That is pretty unheard of with this kind of bike.

There ya go if it matters.

Edit - random bike pic from a few weeks back:

Fkin fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 24, 2012

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Deeters posted:

Was it this guy?

Hulk almost mootmoot.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
That's a really bad place for planking.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I want to see the screen capture from about 500 milliseconds later.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Run over by a chinese scooter. What a sad way to go.

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Here is another amazing bike. One the surface you might think this is a pretty ordinary bike with a nice paintjob:

It a early 70s shovelhead complete with kicker.

Although the paint job is a little over the top every single thing on the bike is retouched, braided cables and the works. Every piece is chromed and hand engraved (more or less).

This thing is 40+ ish years old and has 2k miles on it. It was sitting in a barn (so to speak). The engine is being rebuilt completely now like my springer.

Fkin fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 24, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
That eagle is kind of a :regd09:

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

invision posted:

Yeah I think it cuts out right before the launch, and I crashed at the turn-in to keyhole.

Here's the bike as it sits right now

e:funny story, my family obviously wants me to quit riding now because "I could've died" but doesn't want to say anything about it.

thats BS. you didn't 'almost die'. i was tailing you, and while unexpected, it wasn't like 'omg bad'. want me to call your folks and tell them how well you were doing, and how you're gonna come back and do more trackdays? i'll do it dude, just for you. :)

ReggieCelsius
Feb 1, 2007

snortsly

Fkin posted:

Here is another amazing bike.

No offense intended, but amazing is just not a word to describe Harley Davidsons..

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

ReggieCelsius posted:

No offense intended, but amazing is just not a word to describe Harley Davidsons..

We have such a variety of bike lovers here. Goons ride everything from ape-hanger Harleys to hooligan motards to scooters to sportsbikes to sport-tourers to trials bikes. Why you gotta be such a hater?

ReggieCelsius
Feb 1, 2007

snortsly

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

We have such a variety of bike lovers here. Goons ride everything from ape-hanger Harleys to hooligan motards to scooters to sportsbikes to sport-tourers to trials bikes. Why you gotta be such a hater?

motards, scooters, sportsbikes, sport tourers, trial bikes.. they all are practical for their specific uses. Harleys just seem to be all about the noise and image, reliability and performance seem to be unimportant.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
The supersport I ride is anything but practical. It's got bad ergos, it's loud, flashy, has no storage, and is always 2 inches of throttle away from becoming a 120 mph wheelie death machine, but I love riding it all the time for things it wasn't built for.

All cool bieks should be loved, regardless of how reliable, ugly, posturing, or stupid they are. Even Harleys.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ReggieCelsius posted:

motards, scooters, sportsbikes, sport tourers, trial bikes.. they all are practical for their specific uses. Harleys just seem to be all about the noise and image, reliability and performance seem to be unimportant.

So what? Different strokes and all that. Don't be cruisist, cruisers are bikes with feelings too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ReggieCelsius posted:

Harley-Davidsons are practical for cruising long distances on American interstates. Some are only about the noise or the image, but you can say that about literally any sub-type of motorcycle. Do you wave at cruiser riders?

ReggieCelsius
Feb 1, 2007

snortsly

Sagebrush posted:

Harley-Davidsons are practical for cruising long distances on American interstates. Some are only about the noise or the image, but you can say that about literally any sub-type of motorcycle. Do you wave at cruiser riders?

no, it seems that everyone else nods/waves at eachother, but the harley riders seem to only nod at harley riders.

yeah all bikes deserve to be loved, but for me personally an overpriced, technologically inferior, unreliable and heavy show pony is at the bottom of the list. Oh I suppose they look nice and get a lot of attention if that is what you are chasing in a motorcycle.

In any case, Japanese and Italian bikes are better.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Fkin posted:

It a early 70s shovelhead complete with kicker.

Although the paint job is a little over the top every single thing on the bike is retouched, braided cables and the works. Every piece is chromed and hand engraved (more or less).

This thing is 40+ ish years old and has 2k miles on it. It was sitting in a barn (so to speak). The engine is being rebuilt completely now like my springer.

So why did he ruin it? I think it could be on the cover of bad motorcycle art.

This is the proper way to customize an old bike. Many pieces were ignored and allowed to corrode while others were hand picked from the side of the road.

Crayvex fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 24, 2012

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Fkin posted:

For a number of reasons (IMHO of course) in no particular order:

1) It is a non-standard stretched bike - most of these like Big dog and what not are too low to the ground and have big ride issues as a result. The two bikes on the last page are good examples. Pretty bikes but not real fun to ride and a pain to maintain.
2) Despite having goood ground clearance it has a 16 ish inch seat height, which is pretty darn cool if you are into that. I like softails and low bikes so I like it.
3) Custom built, well cared for and fast.
4) Unlike a lot of posers with choppers, he rides it year round like I ride mine that thing has over 20k miles and it is pretty new. That is pretty unheard of with this kind of bike.

OK, now that makes it kinda cool. :cheers:

ReggieCelsius posted:

no, it seems that everyone else nods/waves at eachother, but the harley riders seem to only nod at harley riders.

Not true. At least for me. It depends though, if you're out in the countryside or whatever riding twisty good roads it seems everyone waves at everyone regardless of bike type. Now in the city with the bar hopping harley crowd, yeah you won't get waved at that much by Harleys.

It's all in the enjoyment of the ride, 2 wheels is 2 wheels, enjoy the gently caress out of it. Even goes for scooters, even if it's a girls thing.

Content: This fits my post well I think.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Fkin posted:

Hahaha that eagle is such a mix of :shepface: and :pwn:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Crayvex posted:

Whoa, wait a minute

Fkin posted:

Is that actually a drawing of this bike? Or is that "custom" somehow less unique than it seems? :psyduck:

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sagebrush posted:

Whoa, wait a minute

Is that actually a drawing of this bike? Or is that "custom" somehow less unique than it seems? :psyduck:

There are some bikes with similar styling - compare another one from last page :

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008
Cruisers (Big ones) look like they weigh a zillion pounds. As a puny, girly-man rider of a scooter I can't help but wonder how they even keep it upright!

Don't hate on cruisers. Everything owns in its own way. Consider that Japan, birthplace of practical motorcycles, adores the cruiser/harley style. Variety is good for everybody in the end.

Deep down there is a little chrome-o-sexual in all of us.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

ReggieCelsius posted:

Harleys are definitely practical for their purpose, which is cruising. They're actually quite reliable, and performance is completely adequate for what they do. They perform comparably to comparable Japanese bikes.

Don't let the Harley Branding Machine and it's devotees tarnish your view of the bikes themselves. If you start to dislike bikes because of their riders, you'll have to hate everything, and the next on the list after HD is Ducati.

Every type of bike gets ridden for image purposes, even when the bike is impractical for that use.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Purgey posted:

Cruisers (Big ones) look like they weigh a zillion pounds. As a puny, girly-man rider of a scooter I can't help but wonder how they even keep it upright!

Since cruisers have so much more weight than small bikes (or scooters) your mass and its movements matter much less to it. For all bikes, once it gets going it will always want to keep going until factors slow it down or push it off course. Since you are less of a factor it keeps going more easily.

This post is a candidate for overheard stupid motorcycle poo poo.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Center of mass is also a big concern. Cruisers are generally really low and manageable.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Took the drz up a hill today
Pilot Powers + boggy ground = no fun, this is as far as I went offroad

http://imgur.com/a/FSbxl
Found a few gravel forestry roads that were fun though.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

ReggieCelsius posted:

yeah all bikes deserve to be loved, but for me personally an overpriced, technologically inferior, unreliable and heavy show pony is at the bottom of the list. Oh I suppose they look nice and get a lot of attention if that is what you are chasing in a motorcycle.

In any case, Japanese and Italian bikes are better.

I understand what you're trying to say, but like the previous umpteen billion times it's been raised, the logic crumbles when you try to equate branding with form factor. If your performance and technology arguments had any merit, then the four largely redundant and interchangeable cruiser product lines offered by the Japanese would be vastly superior and would have succeeded in killing off HD by now (yes, they got a secret bailout during the recession, but it was to cover deadbeats who stopped paying for bikes they should have never purchased in the first place).

The reality is that this style of motorcycle, and its accompanying riding position, is not a place where gobs of horsepower are particularly useful. Cranking through the gears with your feet splayed out in front of you is frightening. Your rear end gets knocked backwards, your knees are out of the picture completely, and your hands are about the only thing securing you to the bike--not good when they're supposed to be operating controls.

Fkin, these posts may be more appropriate and welcome in the CAHOG thread.

And yes, that is just about the most hideous eagle I've ever seen in my life.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Purgey posted:

Deep down there is a little chrome-o-sexual in all of us.

The truth. I polished my dinged, scratched, and discolored chrome muffler the other day. It looked so much happier :unsmith:

Here's me getting spooked by my peg feeler hitting the ground at Jennings. It was the second session of the day when my body positioning was still way off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3aSoENOQeg

First experience with dirt biking :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Marv Hushman posted:

I understand what you're trying to say, but like the previous umpteen billion times it's been raised, the logic crumbles when you try to equate branding with form factor. If your performance and technology arguments had any merit, then the four largely redundant and interchangeable cruiser product lines offered by the Japanese would be vastly superior and would have succeeded in killing off HD by now (yes, they got a secret bailout during the recession, but it was to cover deadbeats who stopped paying for bikes they should have never purchased in the first place).

The reality is that this style of motorcycle, and its accompanying riding position, is not a place where gobs of horsepower are particularly useful. Cranking through the gears with your feet splayed out in front of you is frightening. Your rear end gets knocked backwards, your knees are out of the picture completely, and your hands are about the only thing securing you to the bike--not good when they're supposed to be operating controls.

Fkin, these posts may be more appropriate and welcome in the CAHOG thread.

And yes, that is just about the most hideous eagle I've ever seen in my life.
Well played, Marv. I was secretly gathering funds to replace your avatar with that eagle. It screams FREEDOM! By the way, I wasn't hating on the bike for it being a cruiser I was hating on it for taking a classic and covering it with stupid air brush art and chrome.