Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Pretty sure Miz and Maryse were dating before that storyline came about, just like the Cena/Mickie thing from a couple of years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DMPunk posted:

Who was this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDfEURVtrlI

Charlie something?

Oh my god this guy owns.

It's like Ken Jeong before Ken Jeong.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

tzirean posted:

In a lot of ways, Bret Hart was defined by Shawn Michaels. Shawn was even smaller than Bret, so there's a good argument that Shawn couldn't have become the star he was without Bret to blaze a trail. But there's also a good argument that Shawn was better than Bret in pretty much every way except "not being a drugged-out mess," so Bret was doing all this trail-blazing and yet constantly finding himself one-upped by HBK. Christ, Bret had a five-star classic with Owen at WrestleMania X, but thanks to Shawn, it wasn't even the best match of the night.

I won't lie that I'm a Bret mark, but watch the Owen/Bret match and Shawn/Razor match again. Bret/Owen is the much better match in hindsight.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

DMPunk posted:

Who was this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDfEURVtrlI

Charlie something?

Charlie Minn. They should have got the Micro Machines guy.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Lone Rogue posted:

I won't lie that I'm a Bret mark, but watch the Owen/Bret match and Shawn/Razor match again. Bret/Owen is the much better match in hindsight.

It holds up better because it's just a great pure wrestling match that tells an awesome story though excellent wrestling. Shawn/Razor is great, but it's a gimmick match with a gimmick that has been elaborated on and in certain ways improved upon over the years. At the time it was so amazing and different that it blew everything away, but it certainly doesn't hold up as well as Owen/Bret years later.

Still a great match, though.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

El Duke posted:

It holds up better because it's just a great pure wrestling match that tells an awesome story though excellent wrestling. Shawn/Razor is great, but it's a gimmick match with a gimmick that has been elaborated on and in certain ways improved upon over the years. At the time it was so amazing and different that it blew everything away, but it certainly doesn't hold up as well as Owen/Bret years later.

Still a great match, though.

The interesting thing is comparing that ladder match to ladder matches of today. The psychology has completely changed and for the worse.

Bret likes to whine about Shawn using the ladder match for Wrestlemania X like it was his special match, even though the first ladder match in the WWF was... Bret and Shawn. It might have been a Stampede gimmick but Bret held no license to it.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Savage and Elizabeth stayed together in real life after the split on TV in the 80s.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Savage and Elizabeth stayed together in real life after the split on TV in the 80s.

And then they wound up getting back together on TV after being split in real life in the 90s.

TonTo
Apr 12, 2005
When did Smackdown referees stop wearing blue shirts? I only just noticed that they wear the black and white stripes now.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

DannoMack posted:

Warrior's match where he beat the dastardly HTM was super because it was the end of Honky Tonk's all-time great run, and didn't Rick Rude carry Warrior to some completely watchable matches? Saying Warrior only had two good matches isn't right.

Warrior/Honky Tonk wasn't a match. Warrior had four major matches with Rude, a singles match at Mania V that kinda sucked and went like nine minutes where Rude won the IC title, a rematch at SummerSlam 89 which was fairly good although restholdy that Warrior won (their only match that went significant length), a bad countout finish on a Saturday Night's Main Event that was mostly setup for the next match, and a WWF title cage match at SummerSlam 90 that sucked pretty bad with the crowd completely not giving a poo poo after Hogan/Earthquake, the real main event.

DannoMack posted:

By Kevin Nash's standards, Warrior was far better than Dean Malenko.

It's probably worth noting somewhere in here that Warrior completely tanked as champion and was never any sort of draw except on B house shows against Andre The Giant in 1989, which probably had a lot more to do with Andre than Warrior. Even WrestleMania VI did what was at the time a terribly disappointing number. He's remembered much more fondly than he should be because of the Mania VI match.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
For those that don't know the famous Kevin Nash quote.

"The greatest worker of all time is Hulk Hogan, he made the most money, this is all fake".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, Nash has a bit of a point. At the end of the day, only the paychecks matter. Of course workrate is a part of that, but it's not the end all be all.

Though that does make a bro think: Even by Nash's standard, Hogan might not be the best of all time. What about Austin or Rock? Or if we count Vince McMahon as a "worker."

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch
Nash only rattles off those comments because even he knows he sucks in the ring and its his defense mechanism.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

jeffersonlives posted:

Warrior/Honky Tonk wasn't a match.

Sure it was. It was under a minute and had like two and a half moves in it, but it was the perfect way to end Honky Tonk's super long heel IC title run. I guess I am in the minority in the IWC because I don't necessarily think workrate is the deciding factor for a great wrestler/match. I think that was one of the better title changes WWE has ever done.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's nothing wrong with Nash's view of the business. Its just a different conversation. But him dismissing the entire workrate debate is the same thing as people calling him an idiot for his view. They both have perfectly valid approaches but their stubbornness and refusal to even consider the alternative makes debate pointless. And ultimately we're just debating to amuse ourselves since even if we all came to a conclusion on who the best worker of all time was it would mean absolutely nothing.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
e:gently caress

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

DannoMack posted:

Sure it was. It was under a minute and had like two and a half moves in it, but it was the perfect way to end Honky Tonk's super long heel IC title run. I guess I am in the minority in the IWC because I don't necessarily think workrate is the deciding factor for a great wrestler/match. I think that was one of the better title changes WWE has ever done.

Crediting Ultimate Warrior for a great match in that situation is a joke. The dude sucked in the ring and he didn't draw poo poo to the arena. I'm sorry if that ruins some people's childhood memories or whatever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It was a fantastic moment and I loved every second of it, but yeah I wouldn't call it a great match by any stretch of the imagination - that has nothing to do with workrate or anything, or change the fact it was a brilliant way to end Honky's reign (finally he puts himself into a position he can't escape from where a loving force of nature just tears through him), but the match itself was a joke.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

STAC Goat posted:

There's nothing wrong with Nash's view of the business. Its just a different conversation. But him dismissing the entire workrate debate is the same thing as people calling him an idiot for his view. They both have perfectly valid approaches but their stubbornness and refusal to even consider the alternative makes debate pointless. And ultimately we're just debating to amuse ourselves since even if we all came to a conclusion on who the best worker of all time was it would mean absolutely nothing.

There's absolutely something wrong with the viewpoint more money=better than. Nobody actually thinks the highest grossing film, best selling record, or highest rated tv show is the greatest of all time. Wrestling's just another artform, and being comercially successful has nothing to do with the quality of art.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Satire Forum Mom posted:

There's absolutely something wrong with the viewpoint more money=better than. Nobody actually thinks the highest grossing film, best selling record, or highest rated tv show is the greatest of all time. Wrestling's just another artform, and being comercially successful has nothing to do with the quality of art.

Nobody thinks Avatar is the best movie, Thriller is the best album or that MASH was the best TV show?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Nobody actually thinks the highest grossing film, best selling record, or highest rated tv show is the greatest of all time.

People making films, records or TV shows often do.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Exactly, its a matter of perspective. Its art and business. If your main concern is the art then you debate on quality and success is meaningless. But to deny that a film, musician, TV show, book, or wrestler didn't do everything they set out to do by being the highest grossing of its time is silly. Again, its just people who refuse to see the point that its two completely different meaningless discussions, not a right one and a wrong one.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Nobody thinks Avatar is the best movie, Thriller is the best album or that MASH was the best TV show?

Because they like it, not because it made the most money. The concept of anyone going, "Avatar is the best movie ever because it made the most money" is ridiculous.

DannoMack posted:

People making films, records or TV shows often do.

Nope, they just want to duplicate the success. Even the most jaded, capitalist studio head would rather watch a Citizen Kane (or whatever they like) over a Madea Goes To Jail, though they'd rather their studio make the latter.

STAC Goat posted:

Exactly, its a matter of perspective. Its art and business. If your main concern is the art then you debate on quality and success is meaningless. But to deny that a film, musician, TV show, book, or wrestler didn't do everything they set out to do by being the highest grossing of its time is silly. Again, its just people who refuse to see the point that its two completely different meaningless discussions, not a right one and a wrong one.

Nobody good has ever gone into any art form to primarily make the most money. If your goal is to make a ton of money, art, ESPECIALLY wrestling, is a dumb idea.

Talking about business has no place in a discussion about the quality of art.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Because they like it, not because it made the most money. The concept of anyone going, "Avatar is the best movie ever because it made the most money" is ridiculous.
Avatar is only like, the seventeenth highest-grossing movie when adjusted for inflation. I think Casablanca's still the highest.

Which begs the question, if we adjust for inflation I wonder which wrestler made the most money.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Which begs the question, if we adjust for inflation I wonder which wrestler made the most money.

I'd suspect the answer is Jim Londos but I'm not even sure how you'd get reliable enough records to calculate this.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

Avatar is only like, the seventeenth highest-grossing movie when adjusted for inflation. I think Casablanca's still the highest.

Gone With The Wind, although they were able to tour the movie from city to city to keep it fresh for a very long time, whereas today movies like The Dark Knight and Avatar have a month or two of earth-shattering business and then peter out.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Captain Charisma posted:

Gone With The Wind, although they were able to tour the movie from city to city to keep it fresh for a very long time, whereas today movies like The Dark Knight and Avatar have a month or two of earth-shattering business and then peter out.

Much like wrestling

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Much like wrestling

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer killed the territories! :argh:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
So I just found out that Sandman is actually my dad.

Does anyone know a way I could get in contact with him?

Thief fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 10, 2011

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Thief posted:

Put out a six-pack on the porch and play Metallica on loop. It'll lure him to you eventually.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Much like wrestling

Yeah, that was exactly what I thought. Although the big studios still make good movies.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Thief posted:

Ever have an occassion when you hope something is real?

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

jeffersonlives posted:

Crediting Ultimate Warrior for a great match in that situation is a joke. The dude sucked in the ring and he didn't draw poo poo to the arena. I'm sorry if that ruins some people's childhood memories or whatever.

I honestly can't quote the numbers but I'm sure Warrior was disappointing compared to Hogan... however the lowest drawing champion during a period where the company was heading for bankruptcy in terms of buyrates was Shawn Michaels. The matches were good, the buyrates weren't.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Giedroyc posted:

I honestly can't quote the numbers but I'm sure Warrior was disappointing compared to Hogan... however the lowest drawing champion during a period where the company was heading for bankruptcy in terms of buyrates was Shawn Michaels. The matches were good, the buyrates weren't.

Actually, Diesel was the worst. That's when the company almost went bankrupt.

Warrior might not have drawn so poorly if they actually paired him up with Earthquake, who they had been building up as a monster for a long time, as opposed to Rick Rude, career midcarder.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
And Ted Dibiase who Hogan had spent the last 2 years beating the credibility out of.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Warrior drew poorly at the houses - relative to the era - in spring and summer 1990 against Curt Hennig and Rick Rude. At that, point he was basically removed back to the secondary/B-tour face role that he had held since Savage turned heel in winter 1989. Warrior's reign in general was a rather distant afterthought to the Hogan/Earthquake feud, and the planned Warrior/Hogan II megamatch at the LA Coliseum eventually turned into Slaughter/Hogan at the LA Sports Arena.

It is true that Warrior is not the worst drawing champion in the history of the promotion; the promotion was still too hot in that period for it to be true. He's probably the most disappointing drawing champion in the history of the promotion, though.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Years later I am still not sure how that and the crossface parts never became part of the mainstream story, other than that Vince McMahon has some sort of divine power from his Backlash victory over Shawn Michaels and God.
What?

STAC Goat posted:

Rather I thought those videos were a bunch of people who knew Benoit well enough that when told his family died a violent death and he had disappeared for days before that were able to put the pieces together and feared the worst. Hence them being all weirdly stone faced, talking about him as a wrestler and less as a person, and having those awkwardly cold and seemingly restrained opinions. Maybe Regal knew more or maybe he just was more confident in his theory. Point is I don't think those videos are really necessarily evidence that they knew as they could be easily explained by acknowledging that everyone knew Benoit was crazy and didn't doubt that he could have done it.

...As we watched RAW we were getting freaked out because we felt the profile of the man we were receiving was that of a great wrestler greatly respected for his craft but widely regarded to be a tightly wound, strict, bottled up, disciplinarian. And that made us all look at each other and raise an eyebrow. So certainly WWE had to have been able to do the same thing and it seemed obvious that someone like Regal had.
I agree with this, it does seem that some people just pieced the puzzle together themselves and reached a similar conclusion to the police before knowing it was formally announced.

There's heaps of stuff that doesn't add up and probably won't ever be explained and a lot of theories have been thrown around by various people, in Chris Benoit 'the Aftermath' by RF video there's even a guy that suggests the situation was a result of Benoit finding out his son was conceived by Vince, although I'm highly sceptical about this.

On a much happier note can someone please recommend me some defining Shawn Michaels matches?

He was all ready out of action for the first time when I began watching wrestling and when he returned I'd stopped watching the product. So my sum knowledge of Shawn Michaels is all from his last run that started with reforming DX with Hunter, so I've no doubt missed many essentials.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sue Denim posted:

What?
I have no idea how true this is, but the rumor was that police reports suggested he killed either his wife or his son, maybe both, by applying the crossface.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sue Denim posted:

On a much happier note can someone please recommend me some defining Shawn Michaels matches?

He was all ready out of action for the first time when I began watching wrestling and when he returned I'd stopped watching the product. So my sum knowledge of Shawn Michaels is all from his last run that started with reforming DX with Hunter, so I've no doubt missed many essentials.

Can't speak for his first run but his matches against Jericho and Angle at Wrestlemanias 19 and 21 immediately come to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thief posted:

Dress up like a zombie, bro.