Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Boola posted:

Good suggestions on things to check out there. I'm saving it to a file as I hope to make it back and explore Cambodia in more depth next time. FCC is kind of touristy but definitely worth a stop. Happy hour was 2 drinks for the price of one so you can catch sunset and get two mojitos or something for 5 dollars.
They used to (maybe still do) have $1 Sangria all day long through happy hour. They also have this potato wedges with creame cheese and chili sauce that you can order off the menu. It's from the old menu and my favorite stupid snack food there. Otherwise, having eaten a number of meals there, I wouldn't bother. The food's not bad or anything, it's just not superlative and it's overpriced. Much better options elsewhere. Hell, I'd rather hit that row of Khmer BBQ places on the street 19 behind the FCC and the palace.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

I've heard Singapore is one of the best places in the world for amazing food.

Except Japanese and Korean. I just read the Singapore thread, recommedning itacho sushi :barf:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I've been told that the Korean and Japanese in the Korean and Japanese ghettos of Bangkok is pretty legit, but I'm not in a position to judge. But that refers specifically to the places in the ethnic enclaves that are frequented by Japanese and Korean nationals. Outside of that it's going to be salmon sushi with mayonnaise smeared on top for Japanese and lovely Thai French beef bulgogi with Blend 285 whiskey, heh.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Nikon has a factory in Thailand and quite a few Japanese factories set up shop as well. Doesn't Bangkok have a MFJ? So the Japanese restaurants catering to them are pretty drat legit, and relatively cheap as well for the quality you are paying for! And being Japanese run, the servers and everyone speaks Japanese, and menus are Japanese first.

Plus there's also that creepy Japanese sexpat crowd, so you get some good yakitori places near those weird karoake/thai soapland places. But since that district closed down, I'm not sure if the Japanese restaurants are still around.

As for Korean, NOOOOPE.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

ReindeerF posted:

Send photos of edible bread, plz.

Did the rooftop reggae bar guy ever end up adding food to his menu? He was going to add jerk chicken and some other Jamaican favorites when you and I went there like two years ago, heh, but he may be closed now for all I know. He's perfect for that crowd, so I'm sure he could've stayed open. The trustafarians of BKK love that poo poo. Only problem was the venue itself felt like hanging out in an office space (which it was).

Good question, I'll have to check next time I'm there. Never think of ordering food whenever I go. It's definitely still open though and pretty popular.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I got an apartment for a month around Talat Phu BTS station, any suggestions for things to check out in that area or good restaurants? I'm really looking forward to going now.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
There's a big market at Talat Phlu (talaat means market in Thai), so definitely wander around there every evening trying things. I love the Thonburi side of the river, but it's not like the kind of place where there are attractions, it's moreso a bunch of neighborhoods and you just need to wander around.

In terms of trips, here are a couple of suggestions:

1) Head to Wong Wian Yai (translation: giant roundabout) BTS and head over to the Mahachai Railway station nearby, it's on Google Maps. Get a ticket to Mahachai and either A) continue on across the ferry on the second leg of the railroad or B) stop there and eat fresh food (seafood is recommended) on the waterfront. This is an ancient port that's been processing in and out fresh seafood and other goods for centuries. IIRC, the Siamese Twins for whom the term Siamese Twins was coined, were two Chinese immigrant brothers born conjoined there, who later went to America, fought in the civil war (for the same side, heh) and became prosperous merchants with two separate wives. It's a storied location and Bangkokians enjoy going there for a visit. If you continue on the second leg of the railroad to Mae Klong you can enjoy more local hospitality and food and markets - as well as the famous market that folds up and folds back down as the train passes. One entertaining thing about this railway - both lines - is that it's a former private rail line that the SRT largely ignores, so when you get off and look at the track it's like under water for half of it and barely serviceable. That's why it goes about the speed of a fast mountain bike, heh.

2) Take the BTS to Saphan Thaksin and take the river boat to various destinations, including Phra Atit Pier (Khao San Road, Phra Atit Road, Sanam Luang), Tha Tien Pier (Chinatown, Wat Pho), Tha Chang Pier (Grand Palace/Wat Phra Kaew) and then the last stop, Tha Nam Non (Nonthaburi Pier) an hour from Saphan Thaksin, where there's a great night market along the boardwalk starting at about 17:30 every night. Last boat from either end leaves at 19:00 punctually every day, so you're safe taking it if you mind that schedule.

There's more, I guess, but that's a start!

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What would be the best way to get to Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in Bangkok? Anybody been? I love going to modern/contemporary art museums when I visit a city, kind of a must for me, it has decent reviews. Our hotel isn't really directly BTS accessible, but it's right by Phra Atit Pier. Was considering taking the river boat to Nonthaburi Pier to get a lot closer then maybe a cab. I saw that you recommended that area ReindeerF, said you lived near there. Planning on going Jan 6, 2015.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You mean the one up by Jatujak? If there are two of you just take a cab. Too much sweat / hassle doing it in two legs via some other method.

I saw some cool things from time to time in the National Museum's gallery which is just south of where you're staying on Th. Ratchatanni (spelling, plus I think on all the signs it's called Boromratchatanni or something) -- the road that comes straight off of the bridge that cuts in just south of the whole Khao San cluster. The Queens gallery isn't far from there, and there's another museum across the big oval shaped bus station thing to the south of the National Museum that I forgot the name of.

There's also a respectable looking museum opposite MBK that I haven't been into because it opened after I had gone back to the US.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 8, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My fiancee and I were talking the other day and she gave me a rough outline of my itinerary while I'm there, I guess it'll be two or three days in Bangkok, then two(?) days in Pattaya with her close friend, then flying to Chiang Mai for two or three days before posting up with her parents in Phitsanulok for the remainder of my stay. Is there anything I should suggest that a Thai native wouldn't think to take a visitor to, or do I hold on for dear life and trust her to get me through that footrace in the most interesting manner?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's difficult to say unless she gives you a list. Off the top of my head, if you're going to be in Phitsanulok you should definitely go see the ancient ruins at Sukothai and eat the local noodles.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I thought Jim Thompson House was cool (the restaurant is good too) but I think that's p well known among Thais.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Comb Your Beard posted:

What would be the best way to get to Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in Bangkok? Anybody been? I love going to modern/contemporary art museums when I visit a city, kind of a must for me, it has decent reviews. Our hotel isn't really directly BTS accessible, but it's right by Phra Atit Pier. Was considering taking the river boat to Nonthaburi Pier to get a lot closer then maybe a cab. I saw that you recommended that area ReindeerF, said you lived near there. Planning on going Jan 6, 2015.

Isn't that the modern looking building right by the intersection? one of the princess did a fashion shoot and was heavily promoted. Her photography sucks

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ReindeerF posted:

There's a big market at Talat Phlu (talaat means market in Thai), so definitely wander around there every evening trying things. I love the Thonburi side of the river, but it's not like the kind of place where there are attractions, it's moreso a bunch of neighborhoods and you just need to wander around.

In terms of trips, here are a couple of suggestions:

1) Head to Wong Wian Yai (translation: giant roundabout) BTS and head over to the Mahachai Railway station nearby, it's on Google Maps. Get a ticket to Mahachai and either A) continue on across the ferry on the second leg of the railroad or B) stop there and eat fresh food (seafood is recommended) on the waterfront. This is an ancient port that's been processing in and out fresh seafood and other goods for centuries. IIRC, the Siamese Twins for whom the term Siamese Twins was coined, were two Chinese immigrant brothers born conjoined there, who later went to America, fought in the civil war (for the same side, heh) and became prosperous merchants with two separate wives. It's a storied location and Bangkokians enjoy going there for a visit. If you continue on the second leg of the railroad to Mae Klong you can enjoy more local hospitality and food and markets - as well as the famous market that folds up and folds back down as the train passes. One entertaining thing about this railway - both lines - is that it's a former private rail line that the SRT largely ignores, so when you get off and look at the track it's like under water for half of it and barely serviceable. That's why it goes about the speed of a fast mountain bike, heh.

2) Take the BTS to Saphan Thaksin and take the river boat to various destinations, including Phra Atit Pier (Khao San Road, Phra Atit Road, Sanam Luang), Tha Tien Pier (Chinatown, Wat Pho), Tha Chang Pier (Grand Palace/Wat Phra Kaew) and then the last stop, Tha Nam Non (Nonthaburi Pier) an hour from Saphan Thaksin, where there's a great night market along the boardwalk starting at about 17:30 every night. Last boat from either end leaves at 19:00 punctually every day, so you're safe taking it if you mind that schedule.

There's more, I guess, but that's a start!

Thanks a lot! I'll definitely take a boat toar and the port sounds cool too. I'm arriving a few days before my course starts to get rid of my jetlag so riding boats and eating food sounds like a good idea.

We've decided to stay a few days longer in Thailand to do some sightseeing. We're not really into nightlife (at least, not the loud, clubbing kind) and just want to go somewhere quiet and peaceful with not too many young tourists, preferably with a beach. Is there anywhere like that near Bangkok?

Specifically, I've been looking at Koh Kut. Has anyone been there?

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 8, 2014

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Quick trip report after finally making it to Langkawi for anyone going through Malaysia. If you're think if going diving only do it if you really, really want to dive and it's literally your only opportunity. I love diving a lot and the whole experience was the worst run, most expensive and probably least interesting diving I've done in SEA.

Definitely don't go with east marine, they've changed management since the guy that recommended them worked there. Basically RM400 for a 2 dive day that involved taking a public ferry out to the marine reserve. Terrible dive safety, basically no dive brief, not totally sure the dive guide we got was even qualified.

Aside from that great place to visit, spent the next day on a scooter hitting up waterfalls and beaches. Also about the only place in Malaysia with cheap booze if you like to party. I stayed at Temple Tree, which was pricy, but one of the nicest places I've stayed in SEA. Profits go towards the animal shelter they run, staff were all fantastic, I got a couple of free cocktails just because I was chatting with them and the cocktails were really good.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Happy big four oh to a certain special someone in this thread. You know who you are. ;)

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

goodness posted:

I've heard Singapore is one of the best places in the world for amazing food.

No it's not. Anything good in Singapore can be found in Malaysia and Indonesia where it's tastier and cheaper.
Only thing they have going for it is cleanliness.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

mrg220t posted:

No it's not. Anything good in Singapore can be found in Malaysia and Indonesia where it's tastier and cheaper.
Only thing they have going for it is cleanliness.
Not 100% true, certain dishes have the same name in MY/IN but are dramatically different in practice. Hokkien mee and laksa for example. Also chili crab is pretty much a Singapore only thing.

But yes the local food is generally better in Malaysia, Malaysian hawkers/restauranteurs have lower overhead so they don't need to skimp on ingredients as much.

The secret Singapore doesn't want you to know!

That said I would wager Singapore has better Thai food than most of Malaysia and Indo, same with mainland Chinese food. I have also heard the Burmese food is very good here, need to investigate that further.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
From what I can gather the trial of the two Burmese suspects scapegoats accused of the double murder on Koh Tao is due to start in February, and as a preliminary measure they've both pleading "not guilty." I guess the next few months on the rock will be kinda interesting.

I don't know if this has been posted before but what it's worth, here is a picture on Twitter showing the dead woman at Choppers Bar the night she was killed, and her friend talking to the police the next day. Notice the distinctive cell phone in front of the victim, and then given by her friend to the police the next day.

The police are using this phone as a key piece of evidence against the two Burmese guys, saying it was found near their house during the investigation into the murders.

I mean, I'm sure it was found near their house... after the police put it there. :sigh:

Edit: I'm flying from Vancouver to Taipei to Bangkok to Koh Samui, with Eva Air to Bangkok and Bangkok Airways from Bangkok to Samui. The two airlines code share. Does anyone know if it would be possible to check my bags through to Samui from Vancouver? I'm not sure how it works in Thailand.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 8, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If your ticket is booked as a single trip, they should book your bags through, but otherwise I think you'll probably need to re-check them when you switch to PG. Still, you can request it and maybe EVA can make it happen, since (as you mention) they're codesharing partners.

eviljelly posted:

Happy big four oh to a certain special someone in this thread. You know who you are. ;)
Jesus, we have people that OLD in here? GTFO OLD PEOPLE. This is the INTERNET.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Waaaaaaa happy birthday

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

Jesus, we have people that OLD in here? GTFO OLD PEOPLE. This is the INTERNET.

Happy birthday grandpa!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The warm climate helps keep your posting so youthful!

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ReindeerF posted:

If your ticket is booked as a single trip, they should book your bags through, but otherwise I think you'll probably need to re-check them when you switch to PG. Still, you can request it and maybe EVA can make it happen, since (as you mention) they're codesharing partners.

Yeah, they are separate tickets. Guess I'll find out the answer to my own question soon enough. Having to re-check at Suvarnabhumi will be a giant pain in the rear end... the connection is pretty tight :/

PS. Happy birthday, Pops!

Finch! fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 9, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I guess Reindeer shares a birthday unless the time zones are mucking up the works ;)

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Gail Wynand posted:

Not 100% true, certain dishes have the same name in MY/IN but are dramatically different in practice. Hokkien mee and laksa for example. Also chili crab is pretty much a Singapore only thing.

But yes the local food is generally better in Malaysia, Malaysian hawkers/restauranteurs have lower overhead so they don't need to skimp on ingredients as much.

The secret Singapore doesn't want you to know!

That said I would wager Singapore has better Thai food than most of Malaysia and Indo, same with mainland Chinese food. I have also heard the Burmese food is very good here, need to investigate that further.

Chili crab is a major thing in the Klang Valley. Singapore always tries to steal everything! Also I would take that wager.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
Are there any reasons to visit Udon Thani?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

iirc I was told there's a lot of cheap hookers there

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Gail Wynand posted:

If you go to the small good restaurants in Kelantan (East coast of Peninsula Malaysia, where the Redang/Perhentian Islands are close to) you can get some great Thai food. There are also some decent ones in KL like My Elephant, but most people think poo poo chains like Absolute Thai are the go-to for Thai and uggggggghhhhh god.

I don't really have an opinion on Burmese food, but almost everyone in Malaysia would claim that the quality of our stall food is being slowly destroyed by Burmese cooks employed by the original owners. So much so that Penang tried to start some law disallowing foreigners from cooking in stalls and restaurants, which is totally not a racist/xenophobic thing at all!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If there was a law that white people couldn't make dim sum and Chinese people couldn't make sushi in the US I'd support it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Sheep-Goats posted:

If there was a law that white people couldn't make dim sum and Chinese people couldn't make sushi in the US I'd support it.

And that beans can't be in chili :smuggo:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Motherfucker

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Singapore should have more Thai workers and therefore better Thai food. This is how it is in HK, for example, in the Thai market area.

On the topic of Udon, it's one of the largest cities in Isaan, but it's pretty generic as Thai cities go. It's not visually charming and doesn't have a lot of interesting history or anything, it's just Udon. That said, like any sizable city there's plenty to do if you're there.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

wikitravel page for udon thani, under Do

quote:

Try snacks in 7-11, walk around shopping centre,
Also recommend a trip to the bus station and purchase a ticket out of Udon Thani

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Haha, that's perfect. It's like someone going, "So, should I visit Oklahoma City?"

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
Haha. Well I'll still spend the night at least so I can save on airfare.

Sorry to ask this boring question, but do you have any recommendations for serviced apartments/hotels in Bangkok for 20-30k baht a month?

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Senso posted:

That looks nice to me. Other than Hanoi and Saigon, which are huge, a single day or two is usually enough to see everything.

I'm partially seeing if I like either city. I'm teaching English in Korea now, and am about to finish my MA TESOL, which should help me be highly qualified with combined with my education undergrad and teaching licenses in ESL and music. I'm debating if I'd like a change of scenery to find a professor position.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Talked to my fiancee again last night, and I guess we're not going to do the engagement ceremony that was the whole purpose of me going over there right now :negative: I guess we're going to do it before our wedding ceremony over there next year, despite most of her family living in her hometown. On the bright side, she's hiring a wedding planner over there and she got an estimate of $3000 for the whole thing, so that's nice.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Maxsmart posted:

I'm partially seeing if I like either city. I'm teaching English in Korea now, and am about to finish my MA TESOL, which should help me be highly qualified with combined with my education undergrad and teaching licenses in ESL and music. I'm debating if I'd like a change of scenery to find a professor position.

Are there openings for MA holders at universities still? I'm under the impression that if you don't have a PhD you might as well have a tin cup, but I could be wrong.

Also I think a lot of people with your certs would end up in international schools in Thailand anyway due to the pay being about 3 times higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Dates are set for sure now in KL, however the friend I was visiting had work stuff come up :( Anyone wanna go wander with me in search of street food/grab a drink on Sat/Sun? I actually found a beer bar there that looked like it has a decent craft list! Shoot me a pm!