Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

it is posted:

Am I right that when you see C/C++ written on a resume like that, with the slash, that's a negative for you?
It makes me wince, but honestly it doesn't matter. If I'm hiring for a C position, I'm going to check if the candidate has solid project history with C, and then grill him in interview. If it's for C++, I'd want to know if he's versed in modern C++11 or writes pre-ISO code or whatever. If it's for something else (e.g., Java) then it doesn't really matter beyond it tells me he might understand pointers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Oh gently caress, it's him again. I thought he was perma-banned.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Simple but kind of philosophical question. For longer-term career development how heavily would you weigh working with other developers vs. working independently? I'm in the running for a couple jobs (and I may not get either! But I'm giving it some thought now) and one would involve working with a team of developers and the other would involve being the first dev they hired (apparently previously they'd contracted out work). They both pay more than where I am right now, but the lone-wolf job is significantly higher-paying than the other one.

On a personal level I've been a lone-wolf developer before at my current place (I'm now on a two-man team) and didn't mind it. I also improved significantly as a developer over that time so I don't really feel like my development skills were stunted by it, but I suppose there's more to think about in a career than just dev skills.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I personally feel like if I'm the smartest/most experienced person on the team, then I'm working in the wrong place. If I'm not in a situation where I can learn from my colleagues then I've overstayed my shelf life at the job.

So to extend that, I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I'm both the smartest and the dumbest person on the team by default.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

kitten smoothie posted:

I personally feel like if I'm the smartest/most experienced person on the team, then I'm working in the wrong place. If I'm not in a situation where I can learn from my colleagues then I've overstayed my shelf life at the job.

So to extend that, I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I'm both the smartest and the dumbest person on the team by default.
It is nice to get some breadth. Even if you're the only software resource and are spending the time to improve in that area, hopefully there's someone you're learning project management, marketing, etc. from. So it's possible to be the smartest & dumbest and still be growing out into other areas.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Simple but kind of philosophical question. For longer-term career development how heavily would you weigh working with other developers vs. working independently?
Where do you want to be in 15 years? Still as a lone wolf chugging away on hired-gun problems? Or possibly managing a team, managing a company, building your own company, etc. Some of those paths are easier if you've been part of a larger team and seen how another person manages a group or leads a team. Some of those are easier if you were the only software resource and learned marketing and fundraising from the others at a very small company.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

It is nice to get some breadth. Even if you're the only software resource and are spending the time to improve in that area, hopefully there's someone you're learning project management, marketing, etc. from. So it's possible to be the smartest & dumbest and still be growing out into other areas.

Where do you want to be in 15 years? Still as a lone wolf chugging away on hired-gun problems? Or possibly managing a team, managing a company, building your own company, etc. Some of those paths are easier if you've been part of a larger team and seen how another person manages a group or leads a team. Some of those are easier if you were the only software resource and learned marketing and fundraising from the others at a very small company.

Wow, thanks! This post is really insightful. You're right about picking up non-dev knowledge and it's something I just didn't think about a lot. That's a good point.

I might as well say that in a lot of ways I really like being the one guy -- after all, I have a whole lot of control over what tools I'll use, what processes I'll use, how I solve problems, and so on, which I really enjoy. I've wondered how much I'd really like working at a more junior position at a bigger company because of that. But I constantly see people arguing -- often quite strongly -- that you're ruining your career or slowly atrophying your development skills or whatever working by yourself which has introduced some doubt for me. But, as you've said, if you turn it around there are some other career paths that are easier to travel from there.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Wow, thanks! This post is really insightful. You're right about picking up non-dev knowledge and it's something I just didn't think about a lot. That's a good point.

I might as well say that in a lot of ways I really like being the one guy -- after all, I have a whole lot of control over what tools I'll use, what processes I'll use, how I solve problems, and so on, which I really enjoy. I've wondered how much I'd really like working at a more junior position at a bigger company because of that. But I constantly see people arguing -- often quite strongly -- that you're ruining your career or slowly atrophying your development skills or whatever working by yourself which has introduced some doubt for me. But, as you've said, if you turn it around there are some other career paths that are easier to travel from there.

I wouldn't say ruining your career inherently, but it does become very easy to sit back and be a big fish in little pond. If you're not good a motivating yourself to constantly improve, you should probably try working as part of a team. But if you are good at motivating yourself, and you interact with other developers in other ways, then being on your own can allow you to specialize in the way you want to, instead of being shoehorned into a role you don't care for.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Skandranon posted:

I wouldn't say ruining your career inherently, but it does become very easy to sit back and be a big fish in little pond. If you're not good a motivating yourself to constantly improve, you should probably try working as part of a team. But if you are good at motivating yourself, and you interact with other developers in other ways, then being on your own can allow you to specialize in the way you want to, instead of being shoehorned into a role you don't care for.

This also seems like a good point. I've done pretty well with this so far, but when I started doing this job I didn't know how to program at all and I spent a pretty extreme amount of my free time on learning stuff both practical and theoretical. That obviously isn't sustainable over the long term but I don't feel like I've really plateaued here yet and it's quite obvious to me that I've improved a lot even from when I first transitioned to a full-time developer role.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

it is posted:

Help me settle an argument. Am I right that when you see C/C++ written on a resume like that, with the slash, that's a negative for you?

Its a red flag but not a particularly huge one in the context of a resume since a lot of people will group language types like that. For instance I'll sometimes see JavaScript/ECMAScript/CoffeScript.

When its a bigger red flag is if I'm reading an article and the writer is using C/C++ as a singular entity while making claims about complex topics involving traits that the languages differ in such as memory management or control flow or programming paradigms.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I was on the phone with our software vendor working through some issues/bugs/feature requests and I've worked with the co-CEO/head of engineering for about a month during our proof of concept, and today one of their software engineering managers offered for me to come work for them. It sounds like it would be a pretty good job, they're in the flatiron building in downtown SF, have been around a few years and keep getting multi-milion dollar seed funding rounds from venture capitalists, decent growth, and it would throw me in the heart of the silicon valley startup culture which I would probably thrive in given my previous history at other employers. Also I really "get" how their software works and how to apply it in large environments, which is where they want to head.

So I started plugging in values in to google and cost of living calculators, I found two things

1) my current salary of about 60K in Dallas would require 98K in SF to continue the same quality of life I'm enjoying here
2) the average software dev "only" makes 103K in SF

Assuming they offered me 100K, a) would they? b) is $60k in Dallas really equivalent to 100K in the bay area? Or are there other factors to take in to consideration? Also I live a 3 mile leisurely bike ride from downtown/my office here in Dallas. I'm guessing I'd have to pick up a 1 hour commute each way to get rent below $2k/mo in the Bay Area? I currently live in a ~1400 sq ft 2 bed/1 bath with a real garage and big enough yard I have a garden and a hammock and can toss a frisbee around in the back yard.

c) If I really am the rock star in training I think I am (we all think that, right?) how fast can I see my income rise above the 100-110 range? Or is 120K pretty much the ceiling for developers in SF? I haven't looked in to this at all.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 20, 2015

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Hadlock posted:

So I was on the phone with our software vendor working through some issues/bugs/feature requests and I've worked with the co-CEO/head of engineering for about a month during our proof of concept, and today one of their software engineering managers offered for me to come work for them. It sounds like it would be a pretty good job, they're in the flatiron building in downtown SF, have been around a few years and keep getting multi-milion dollar seed funding rounds from venture capitalists, decent growth, and it would throw me in the heart of the silicon valley startup culture which I would probably thrive in given my previous history at other employers. Also I really "get" how their software works and how to apply it in large environments, which is where they want to head.

So I started plugging in values in to google and cost of living calculators, I found two things

1) my current salary of about 60K in Dallas would require 98K in SF to continue the same quality of life I'm enjoying here

Assuming they offered me 100K, a) would they? b) is $60k in Dallas really equivalent to 100K in the bay area? Or are there other factors to take in to consideration? Also I live a 3 mile leisurely bike ride from downtown/my office here in Dallas. I'm guessing I'd have to pick up a 1 hour commute each way to get rent below $2k/mo in the Bay Area? I currently live in a ~1400 sq ft 2 bed/1 bath with a real garage and big enough yard I have a garden and a hammock and can toss a frisbee around in the back yard.

c) If I really am the rock star in training I think I am (we all think that, right?) how fast can I see my income rise above the 100-110 range? Or is 120K pretty much the ceiling for developers in SF? I haven't looked in to this at all.

If the average software dev makes 103k in SF, the average software dev is either really bad, or has no idea how to negotiate job offers.

120k is like literally new college grad salary range. The ceiling is probably somewhere in the 500ish thousand range.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So starting off with "120K is what I would need to move out there because it would be a direct trade in real cost of living adjustment" would be an acceptable tactic?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Hadlock posted:

So starting off with "120K is what I would need to move out there because it would be a direct trade in real cost of living adjustment" would be an acceptable tactic?

Have they already given you a specific number? If no, then absolutely do not say anything about your salary expectations. Wait for them to make an offer.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Hadlock posted:

These both seem really wrong. You should make more and you probably need to make more to have anything close to your current standard of living.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

b0lt posted:

If the average software dev makes 103k in SF, the average software dev is either really bad, or has no idea how to negotiate job offers.

120k is like literally new college grad salary range. The ceiling is probably somewhere in the 500ish thousand range.

120k is the new college grad range including the signup bonus and stock options over a reasonable time period at high profile companies that are known for paying well. I'm highly skeptical that the average college grad in the Bay Area makes that. Salary sites are known to be high though the number is probably lacking bonus/stock. Regardless, he shouldn't say anything till they make an offer.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

asur posted:

120k is the new college grad range including the signup bonus and stock options over a reasonable time period at high profile companies that are known for paying well.

That are also known for having high standards.

The standards are generally higher in the bay area than other parts even outside those companies -- I wouldn't know, but that's what people, that I would believe, say about the subject.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Hadlock posted:

I wouldn't expect to find any of those things in the bat area, respectfully with the amount you're posting about.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Hadlock posted:

The correct response at this stage is "I'm interested. Make me an offer and I'll consider it" assuming you're actually interested. I'm not sure if you found this COL comparison in your search but it's probably more accurate and certainly more detailed than the CNN COL calculator. Also, don't forget you can ask for relocation money.

The tech bubble thread leads me to believe you'll be looking at at least 4-5k/mo to live within an hour of downtown SF and it won't be nearly much room as you're used to at that range but they could be exaggerating since that's sort of the nature of YOSPOS.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

I have a whole lot of control over what tools I'll use, what processes I'll use, how I solve problems, and so on, which I really enjoy. I've wondered how much I'd really like working at a more junior position at a bigger company because of that.

How do you know your process is any good? Just spitballing, but it might be worth seeing how a larger organization implements a process just so you're conscious of what you're avoiding when you start to implement your own. You might have a terrible process that's only saved by your unequaled brilliance.

Outside of that, as a lone wolf you still have options to get professional feedback. Hopefully you have an industry mentor that you can discuss issues with, like if you had two contenders for an architecture or had a failure mode that kept escaping your process. After 6~18 months hire the contractor you replaced, or someone else with a lot more domain experience, to come audit your code.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm just starting in this industry, but boot camps sound cheaty and not good. Would you trust an accountant or car mechanic who learned from a 3 month bootcamp? How about a surgeon? I just feel like actual time at a real school has no substitute. Learning this poo poo takes skill and work, sure, but it also takes a lot of time for your brain to truly make all the connections it needs.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Colonel J posted:

I'm just starting in this industry, but boot camps sound cheaty and not good. Would you trust an accountant or car mechanic who learned from a 3 month bootcamp?
I personally insists that my car mechanic has at least an MEng, preferably a PhD.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Colonel J posted:

I'm just starting in this industry, but boot camps sound cheaty and not good. Would you trust an accountant or car mechanic who learned from a 3 month bootcamp? How about a surgeon? I just feel like actual time at a real school has no substitute. Learning this poo poo takes skill and work, sure, but it also takes a lot of time for your brain to truly make all the connections it needs.

I think part of the problem is that people are equating in their heads a 7 week boot camp with a 4 year computer science degree, when they are not at all intended to provide the same path to employment.
The boot camp teaches you how to write a program in a specific language, and might go over fundamentals, but when you come out of it, you are a 'programmer'
When a person graduates from a 4 year degree program, they are, ostensibly a 'computer scientist' They can also write a program, yes, but the concerns there are not whether a program runs without crashing, but whether the algorithm is correct for the application, can it be more efficient space or time wise, is there a better way to accomplish the goals we have?
Boot camp might get you a job, and if you are a good self starter, that might be enough. The degree is (usually) intended to put you in the role of the architect, or foreman, instead of one of the (wo)men who swing the hammers, or turn the wrench.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Double post

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 20, 2015

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

sarehu posted:

That are also known for having high standards.

The standards are generally higher in the bay area than other parts even outside those companies -- I wouldn't know, but that's what people, that I would believe, say about the subject.

Counterpoint: I still have a job.

Ed: More seriously, everyone in the Bay Area claims to have high standards but there's more open jobs than people looking. It's statistically impossible for every where here to actually have high standards and most startups just grab as many new grads as possible to get something built, regardless of sustainability of the code, so they can get more VC money.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

pr0zac posted:

there's more open jobs than people looking.

I don't understand why people actually think this

edit: I think a better phrasing is "there are more open jobs than completely and immediately capable people looking"

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ReverendCode posted:

I think part of the problem is that people are equating in their heads a 7 week boot camp with a 4 year computer science degree, when they are not at all intended to provide the same path to employment.
The boot camp teaches you how to write a program in a specific language, and might go over fundamentals, but when you come out of it, you are a 'programmer'
When a person graduates from a 4 year degree program, they are, ostensibly a 'computer scientist' They can also write a program, yes, but the concerns there are not whether a program runs without crashing, but whether the algorithm is correct for the application, can it be more efficient space or time wise, is there a better way to accomplish the goals we have?
Boot camp might get you a job, and if you are a good self starter, that might be enough. The degree is (usually) intended to put you in the role of the architect, or foreman, instead of one of the (wo)men who swing the hammers, or turn the wrench.
I disagree with most of this.

- Computer scientists have PhDs, not bachelor's degrees.
- Very few new CS grads have the skill necessary for good code design or architecture upon graduation. To the extent that they gain that skill later, it comes from practice building large programs, not from studying more CS theory.
- There isn't an equivalent to swinging hammers or turning wrenches in the world of code (at least in the places I've worked), because if you need to do a highly repetitive task twenty times in a row, you just use a loop, you don't code it repeatedly. Even if you wanted to replicate the code symbol for symbol, you can just copy-paste. Of course, there are still jobs of varying complexity, and junior engineer-type tasks may be relatively straightforward as far as programming goes, but they're still skilled labor.

Now, I would expect that people graduating from CS programs will have stronger CS fundamentals, and will probably be better programmers overall, than people graduating from boot camps. But I think that's mainly a function of how much time you spend studying in each one.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm the luckiest person alive and am getting groomed to move from T1 help desk to a Jr. Programming role over the next few months, despite not even having my AS yet.

We're using C++, SQL, and C# for this project. I used C++ through a sophomore level, same with Java, never used SQL. I have the Java to C# cheat sheet from Microsoft's website.

My main concern right now is getting SQL basics down. Does anyone have a recommended site like codecademy for SQL? Also the same question for the other languages, although I'm doing the "C# for Java developers" thing Microsoft has on their website.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

The tech bubble thread leads me to believe you'll be looking at at least 4-5k/mo to live within an hour of downtown SF and it won't be nearly much room as you're used to at that range but they could be exaggerating since that's sort of the nature of YOSPOS.

Yeah. More than a little bit.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

pr0zac posted:

Ed: More seriously, everyone in the Bay Area claims to have high standards but there's more open jobs than people looking. It's statistically impossible for every where here to actually have high standards and most startups just grab as many new grads as possible to get something built, regardless of sustainability of the code, so they can get more VC money.

Joel on Software had a piece on this, ten years ago, that still resonates with me. Everyone claims that they only want to hire the top 5% -- but that doesn't actually mean they get that. It means they get the top 5% of whatever pool of developers is still available after higher-profile companies have already taken a few top percent off it. The actual top 5% of the software industry are generally not in the job market.

Realistically, most startups (and even most larger corporates) just want Good Enough To Not Require Handholding -- which is still a depressingly high bar, but far more attainable.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My main concern right now is getting SQL basics down. Does anyone have a recommended site like codecademy for SQL? Also the same question for the other languages, although I'm doing the "C# for Java developers" thing Microsoft has on their website.
http://sqlzoo.net/

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah that's an exaggeration. 4-5k/month if you want to live in the trendier parts of SF by yourself, yeah. If you're willing to live with roommates, or willing to commute from further away (say, via BART in the east bay) then you can probably get down to like 2k/month.

edit: median rent in Oakland is 2k/month - http://blog.sfgate.com/ontheblock/2015/05/12/what-you-can-get-for-oaklands-median-1-bedroom-rent-of-2000-per-month/

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also the same question for the other languages, although I'm doing the "C# for Java developers" thing Microsoft has on their website.

Read "C# In Depth" by Jon Skeet. It explains what makes C# better than Java very quickly and concisely.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

Ithaqua posted:

quickly and concisely.

~650 pages, I think. Haha.

(Great book.)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, but when I try that in Chrome or IE, I get an error whenever I submit the SQL. It says could not connect as root.

Is that something on my side, or do they have something hosed up?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, but when I try that in Chrome or IE, I get an error whenever I submit the SQL. It says could not connect as root.

Is that something on my side, or do they have something hosed up?
Oh man you're right. Huh, that sucks. Yeah I haven't actually used that site in a long time, it was just helpful to me back in the day. If you google for "sql practice" it looks like there's a few other options.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

How do you know your process is any good? Just spitballing, but it might be worth seeing how a larger organization implements a process just so you're conscious of what you're avoiding when you start to implement your own. You might have a terrible process that's only saved by your unequaled brilliance.

Outside of that, as a lone wolf you still have options to get professional feedback. Hopefully you have an industry mentor that you can discuss issues with, like if you had two contenders for an architecture or had a failure mode that kept escaping your process. After 6~18 months hire the contractor you replaced, or someone else with a lot more domain experience, to come audit your code.

Well, sometimes it isn't! I suppose my answer to this question would be that it's a combination of reading, stuff learned in forums besides work (meet-ups or conferences or whatever), and getting burned by doing things that turn out to be difficult to manage down the road. Whether that's as good is harder for me to say, of course. However, I think working without help did make me a lot more proficient at debugging, doing research, and generally learning about the tools I was using than I would have been if I could easily ask someone.

Actually, the guy I work with right now is much more experienced but, on the other hand, while he has a ton of experience doing C# desktop dev he's less experienced with the Web stuff (the core focus of our work) than I am so while I haven't been totally solo for a while now my experience might not be representative.

Anyway, this is getting long-winded but in short I can see some advantages to both situations. It also might be good to mix it up, although I have to admit still being somewhat attracted to the idea of a job that's very similar to the one I have and mostly like except pays a lot more money.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Anyway, this is getting long-winded but in short I can see some advantages to both situations. It also might be good to mix it up, although I have to admit still being somewhat attracted to the idea of a job that's very similar to the one I have and mostly like except pays a lot more money.

Just how big is the money gap between the two jobs?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Skandranon posted:

Just how big is the money gap between the two jobs?

Between 10 and 40k, depending on where in their range they slot me. Also it is much closer and I wouldn't have to buy a commuter rail pass which ends up being pretty expensive.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Between 10 and 40k, depending on where in their range they slot me. Also it is much closer and I wouldn't have to buy a commuter rail pass which ends up being pretty expensive.

I would probably go with the more lone-wolf position then. Saving time on your commute is a big deal. If you save an hour overall from your commute vs other job, that's well over 10k/year. You can use that time to focus on making sure you aren't getting lazy or falling behind.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I went from one hour each way down to 12 minutes each way and it changed my life. I didn't realize how soul sucking commuting is until my commute got a lot shorter. Now that I have a shorter commute I won't even consider a job unless it's within 30 minutes of my house, or the pay is enough that I can afford to move close to the office. I'm sure having kids who are in school will impact that kind of freedom in a few years though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

it is posted:

Help me settle an argument. Am I right that when you see C/C++ written on a resume like that, with the slash, that's a negative for you?

I've never seen a resume where the person knew either C or C++ write it like that, and people who like one and hate the other generally tend to be good.