Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If Fallout: Newer Vegas isn't about the Tunnel Snakes meeting The Kings in the next great clash between east and west it will be a failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

poptart_fairy posted:

Whoever voices Jack in Resident Evil 7 deserves a loving Oscar. Guy is having the time of his life.

Jack is the best dad.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Taerkar posted:

Thanks to the concrete pieces all of my settlements in FO4 have become motels.

Starlight is a great place to make a seedy motel. It works with the permanent set pieces.
gently caress, aside from the main story, FO4 rules.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Starlight is a great place to make a seedy motel. It works with the permanent set pieces.
gently caress, aside from the main story, FO4 rules.

There is a main story in FO4? Oh right, gotta find my long lost son Sean (Shawn? Shauuuun!), yeah, I'll get right on it.

Oh look, there's another unexplored village over there, I'll just quickly go there, kill a couple raiders and collect tons of loot.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Germansimp posted:

There is a main story in FO4? Oh right, gotta find my long lost son Sean (Shawn? Shauuuun!), yeah, I'll get right on it.

Oh look, there's another unexplored village over there, I'll just quickly go there, kill a couple raiders and collect tons of loot.
I like to think Shaun's still a baby when the game actually kicks off and the reason he's an old man by the time you see him again is because you spent 60+ years rebuilding the Commonwealth
The reason Nate/Nora never ages is because the dozens of mutations you pick up during your career as overlord/general/raider boss/what-have-you

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer

poptart_fairy posted:

Whoever voices Jack in Resident Evil 7 deserves a loving Oscar. Guy is having the time of his life.

*click* *click*

"What's the matter, son? Out of ammo?"

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
That's a nice car you have there Ethan! Mind if I take it for a spin?

Germansimp posted:

To get the true ending of fallout 4, you have to scrap everything in Shaun's bedroom and make it dogmeat's personal house.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Apr 26, 2017

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I'm really enjoying Owb, it's definitely the best dlc.The voice acting and dialogue is brilliant and as far as i'm concerned puts the main game to shame.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198132275379/screenshots/

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The upcoming 25th anniversary edition of Night Trap, the game so offensive and controversial that it more or less kicked off the moral panic about videogame violence in the early 90s that led to senate hearings and the creation of the ESRB, is rated T for Teen :laffo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsRTQUjYfXI

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Guy Mann posted:

The upcoming 25th anniversary edition of Night Trap, the game so offensive and controversial that it more or less kicked off the moral panic about videogame violence in the early 90s that led to senate hearings and the creation of the ESRB, is rated T for Teen :laffo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsRTQUjYfXI

To be fair it never took much to make moral panics happen. People are idiots, looking to find the next thing to be afraid of. Look how easy it was to turn public opinion on weed, rock music, basically anything parents had an instinctive fear of can be made the new bogeyman. Night Trap just happened to be a game that was way too obtuse for it's own good so most people probably got bad endings and just assumed it was a game about watching young girls die instead of capturing Ninjas.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

U.T. Raptor posted:

The animals in Far Cry Primal have a ton of special animations for taking down other animals, and some of them are pretty amazing. Like a sabertooth rodeo riding a rhino before pulling it down and biting its throat:

(it's real hard to screenshot this, especially since it doesn't always happen and you have to worry about being attacked by the rhino. It took like a dozen rhinos to get screenshots that weren't garbage)

Bonus sabertooth killing a wild sabertooth:

It's also great to sic the sabertooth on people and listen to them :gonk: and shout "Tigri! TIGRI!" as it approaches.

I also like how the caves have indicators in the form of hand/foot prints that give you the idea of where to go, and that the collectibles are pretty well-indicated (they almost all have environmental indicators, and their icons on the minimap show whether they're above or below you). And how your own tamed beast will scare other, lesser predators away from you, which is part of what makes the sabertooth so great considering how many goddamn lions there are in Oros.

I've been making my way through 4, and it's really put into context how natural the progression to Primal was given the work they put into the animals and the Shangri-La stuff.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I'm really enjoying Owb, it's definitely the best dlc.The voice acting and dialogue is brilliant and as far as i'm concerned puts the main game to shame.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198132275379/screenshots/

It certainly doesn't hurt things that Doctor 0 has the voice of Dr. Thaddeus Venture, and the whole thing is basically a playable sci-fi B-movie from the 50's.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The Dreadful Crimes missions in Assassin's Creed Syndicate are absolutely amazing. You play detective and solve murders, piecing together motives and method from the evidence you sniff out in the crime scenes. You can accuse the wrong people too, so it's always tense when you think you've got it worked out. They seem better written and designed than the rest of the game too. It's a bit silly that they were relegated to PS4 exclusive DLC.

The second one, where you gradually deduce that you're looking at a Jekyll and Hyde situation is :discourse:

I somehow played a couple of these on PC for free and I'll pick up the full thing if I get the chance, they're really cool and somehow feel out of step from the rest of the game like a slightly janky mod. It's nice to play a mystery in a game where you're not led around by the nose with no scope to get it wrong, very surprising to see it pop up in a game about jumping off buildings and stabbing people.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair it never took much to make moral panics happen. People are idiots, looking to find the next thing to be afraid of. Look how easy it was to turn public opinion on weed, rock music, basically anything parents had an instinctive fear of can be made the new bogeyman. Night Trap just happened to be a game that was way too obtuse for it's own good so most people probably got bad endings and just assumed it was a game about watching young girls die instead of capturing Ninjas.

I for one, thank the ESRB for separating the wheat from the chaff and posting what I was looking for right on the box.

"Oh gently caress this one has graphic violence AND partial nudity! Score!"

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

m2pt5 posted:

It certainly doesn't hurt things that Doctor 0 has the voice of Dr. Thaddeus Venture, and the whole thing is basically a playable sci-fi B-movie from the 50's.

There is a sidequest to help Doctor 0 with his name, which he hates. If your science or int is high enough, you help him out by telling him to add a dash to make it a proper zero and his reaction is gold. Also, the doc with the messed up vocal processor can be translated if your science skill is high enough because he's talking in the RobCo programming language rather than English.

Doctor 0 gave us Muggy, who is the best.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The best part about Fallout 4 is how many people have to openly trick themselves into enjoying a garbage game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Iron Crowned posted:

The best part about Fallout 4 is how many people have to openly trick themselves into enjoying a garbage game

Actually, it's good.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RBA Starblade posted:

Actually, it's good.

I never bought it and never played it, but I have read many articles about it.

That qualifies me to heartily disagree and say that you are mistaken. It is bad. Why, metacritic alone is enough to see that. I mean, 84% from the press is pretty damning, but only half of actual player reviews are positive. Half. That's quite harsh and clearly non-biased and informed, subjective, and written with a clear head.

I may never actually play the game, but I can tell you unequivocally that I don't like it and it is bad.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Well I finished Owb and loved it, didn't kill the scientists or Mobius cause I felt even though they were inhuman they weren't evil, just ignorant and unfeeling.

Every one of the sink appliances was an absoloute highlight (toaster or muggy were my favourites though)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aleph Null posted:

I never bought it and never played it, but I have read many articles about it.

That qualifies me to heartily disagree and say that you are mistaken. It is bad. Why, metacritic alone is enough to see that. I mean, 84% from the press is pretty damning, but only half of actual player reviews are positive. Half. That's quite harsh and clearly non-biased and informed, subjective, and written with a clear head.

I may never actually play the game, but I can tell you unequivocally that I don't like it and it is bad.

Harsh, but fair, friend.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Well I finished Owb and loved it, didn't kill the scientists or Mobius cause I felt even though they were inhuman they weren't evil, just ignorant and unfeeling.

Every one of the sink appliances was an absoloute highlight (toaster or muggy were my favourites though)

C'mon, it's Blind Diodes Jefferson.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RBA Starblade posted:

Actually, it's good.

I dunno, on one hand we have the mental titan who can't tell the difference between the thread for praising games and the thread for complaining about them and in the other hand we have our own subjectove experiences and opinions...can we really say that one is more valid than the other?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

There's a ton of cool little things in owb, I remember finding out i could jump onto the roofs in Higgs Village and assumed there'd be nothing there, and there was a little skeleton with a bit of loot, just for me. A Ghost People outfit, the remains of a VR simulation that got smashed with an axe, a little weather station that remotely turns on the Higgs Village fountain, a stealth suit that won't shut up and to upgrade it you have to do a stealth course past a bunch of robots, but you can also smash up all the robots and if you do that the suit comments on it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Don't forget you can get a gun that is actually a dog. And it perks it's ears up when your pointing at an enemy and it growls. :3:
Shame it's a minigun though, I'm not really a huge fan of lugging around heavy weapons.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

scarycave posted:

Don't forget you can get a gun that is actually a dog. And it perks it's ears up when your pointing at an enemy and it growls. :3:
Shame it's a minigun though, I'm not really a huge fan of lugging around heavy weapons.

That thing crashed my game every time I tried to equip it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Old World Blues is the best. I like the robot dogs playing poker.

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

Though I just can't enjoy driving around in Mass Effect Andromeda, I do like how on Elaaden (the desert planet), the tire tracks don't just fade out after two seconds. They persist for long enough that I can see them stretching all the way over yonder sand dune when I look back. A very tiny thing that makes me feel like an explorer.
Also the fact that the crafting system allows me to mod guns so that they shoot lasers, have infinite ammo and are named things like "Starblaster." I like that too.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
You know what? Wasteland 2 is not a fun game, but it's at least faithful to the tedium of the old Infinity Engine games, and that's nice.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Cloks posted:

Old World Blues is the best. I like the robot dogs playing poker.

woah woah fuckin' what? This I must see.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

I think you'll need the wild wasteland trait if you want to see them.
I think there's also a super tiny deathclaw that pops up too if you have the trait.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAoFYOI7xZ4

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A small thing that always tickles me, a joke in Lego City Undercover - there is a dumb joke that I know is not that funny, it's stupid and childish, and other games/movies have done the exact same joke and not got a laugh out of me, but it just hits me hard for no reason and gets me giggling like an idiot whenever I play - when you first go to the forest area and work for the Sheriff there, he is rehearsing a play reading lines with his squirrel friend Derek, who communicates in chittering noises. At one point Frank Honey accidentally breaks the coffee machine, and Derek chatters angrily, punctuating his sentence with a fart. The sheriff responds with "DEREK! Language!"

I don't know why that always makes me laugh so loving hard, but for some reason the context of flatulence being a squirrels normal way of swearing is really funny to some dumb part of my brain. Anyone else ever come across anything like that, that they know isn't funny but just hits them the right way?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I loving love dad jokes

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jinh posted:

I loving love dad jokes

Stubbs the Zombie was made a by a bunch of former Bungie devs on the Halo engine, and one of the bosses in the game is a policeman named Chief Masters. :rimshot:

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Jinh posted:

I loving love dad jokes

thanks

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

the most damning thing about it was how mediocre it was. It certainly wasn't terrible, but other than the spergy settlement building it was either identical or a big step backwards (I'm looking at you, extremely-limited weapon options, and no, the mods don't all count as different guns) to Fallout 3.

In fact, you could have told me the whole game was an overhaul fan mod of Fallout 3 like the GECK or other Nexus mod and I could totally see it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Kaincypher posted:

It certainly wasn't terrible, but other than the spergy settlement building it was either identical or a big step backwards (I'm looking at you, extremely-limited weapon options, and no, the mods don't all count as different guns) to Fallout 3.

Lol let's not go nuts, you're forgetting what Fallout 3 was actually like.

E: put it like this, if someone played Fallout 3 and wondered why they should play Fallout 4, you could say "shooting is better, weapon nodding, survival mode, loot is more fun" etc. If someone played Fallout 4 and wondered why they should play Fallout 3 there's... nothing

2house2fly has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Apr 28, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

2house2fly posted:

If someone played Fallout 4 and wondered why they should play Fallout 3 there's...

...much stronger character customization, non-violent resolutions and skill checks beyond Charisma, more extreme and elaborate quest endings...

Just because you're satisfied by Fallout 4 doesn't mean it was a better game on all fronts. I will grant all of that is better in New Vegas than both of the numbered, though.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Apr 28, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Guy Mann posted:

Stubbs the Zombie was made a by a bunch of former Bungie devs on the Halo engine, and one of the bosses in the game is a policeman named Chief Masters. :rimshot:

The little thing to love about Stubbs is the soundtrack. They got a lot of real bands to do covers of classic songs for that 50s feel and it's a great album in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

haveblue posted:

The little thing to love about Stubbs is the soundtrack. They got a lot of real bands to do covers of classic songs for that 50s feel and it's a great album in its own right.

I feel the need to post some links because Stubbs' licensed soundtrack is so good that it has stayed in my playlists for over a decade now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1D085ZvRM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrJiGTqlgPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhEFWuoeT54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcIDwT9foQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MOt5usKjEY