Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Lobok posted:

Speaking of deliberate choices, I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say that Captain America "appears" in the film since he's not ever actually present but did they give him his Avengers 1 costume because it's the dorkiest of them all? It's the worst version of the costume he's had in film but it fits the PSA jokes well and I suppose since he came to fame (again) in the MCU world because of the events of that movie it's maybe what he's associated with but hot drat it's such a bad look compared to any of his others.

Oh yeah, but also the Captain America videos were in his Avengers uniform which makes sense not only because that's when he returned to the public eye but also because it's an educational video for school, of course it's 8 years old, those things are always outdated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Endless Mike posted:

EDIT: Does Peter not seem to have spider-sense? I don't recall any instances of it being explicitly used.

I didn't notice it in this movie but he certainly had it in Civil War.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They said they didn't want to focus too much on spider sense as it's rather overused.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So Homecoming is loving great. I know everyone has said it, but I'm saying it again. It was awesome. I personally marked hard for:

-That Vulture twist. I took for granted that I thought of her as Liz Allen. They never said that.
-Mac Gargan? You're here? We're doing Scorpion? Awesome!
-Damage Control!
-Hey, he looks like Scarlet Spider
-Hey, it's the half mask bit!
-Wait...are they doing the lift thing? THEY'RE DOING THE LIFT THING

I wasn't a big fan of the Ned character, but it don't matter. Everyone was great. Zendaya's zingers had me in stitches all throughout. And I never would've guessed that Michael Keaton as The Vulture would be one of the best villains in the MCU. That was a menacing dude, man. Lots of tension whenever he was on screen.

The Washington Monument being built by slaves had me doubled over.

So yeah, go see it. Go see it twice. Great movie.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I really liked that the movie didn't call attention to Tony Stark mentioning the churros from Peter's report during the phone call, proof that he listened to each and every one of those daily stream-of-consciousness babbles. And Peter didn't notice it either, but it was there. Tony cares. :3:

Also the softy in me is really glad that Tony and Pepper got back together

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TFRazorsaw posted:

They said they didn't want to focus too much on spider sense as it's rather overused.

Funny to me because I would argue the opposite. Like Peter, it seems to conveniently disappear a lot!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I haven't even seen this but I'm not remotely surprised about how great Michael Keaton is, dude's an amazing actor. Really underappreciated in the grand scheme of movies.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Homecoming has by faaaar my favorite last line in pretty much any movie ever and everyone saying to stay for the stinger, gently caress you you're awesome

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
When I say "Penis!" you say "Parker!"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Re: spider sense I think he does have it, but there's no explicit special effect that gives it away. In Civil War, Peter dodges a huge object flying toward him from behind.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

hiddenriverninja posted:

Re: spider sense I think he does have it, but there's no explicit special effect that gives it away. In Civil War, Peter dodges a huge object flying toward him from behind.

Also all the bullets and punches and stuff. This movie sorta just let's you see his powers in action without using gimmicks. Everything is very organic. Though I can see how a person who doesn't know Spider-Man has a spider sense would just think he was a dude with preternatural reflexes (which he is, thanks to his spider sense). Overall though it's just tastefully done and really adheres to the idea of film being about showing and not telling.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone important (director, producer?) said they chose not to include it, while Feige said yes MCU Spidey has it.

So I think they're just kind of deciding that the enhanced senses Spidey has to have to be able to pull off half the stuff he does counts as their Spider Sense.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Can someone post "the stinger" and put it in spoiler tags?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You don't need to indicate his Spider Sense going off during a fight. Just leave it for an important moment to save his bacon in a situation where he would otherwise be caught totally by surprise and killed.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

BiggerBoat posted:

Can someone post "the stinger" and put it in spoiler tags?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825231&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post474149413

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Retro Futurist posted:

It's weird that nobody has used Mysterio yet. Like his whole deal is literally Movie FX you could do some cool poo poo with him

Mysterio was used to perfect effect on the PS2 Spider-Man 2 video game. The most epic final boss fight ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MZIU_feIk

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

AnonSpore posted:

I really liked that the movie didn't call attention to Tony Stark mentioning the churros from Peter's report during the phone call, proof that he listened to each and every one of those daily stream-of-consciousness babbles. And Peter didn't notice it either, but it was there. Tony cares. :3:

Also the softy in me is really glad that Tony and Pepper got back together

I noticed that in a different moment when Tony said "Happy said you quit the band." I think that was the 2nd time and that's when I realized that both he and Happy were paying a lot more attention than Peter thought.

Also, wanna give the movie infinite props for not bothering with Uncle Ben. It's alluded to for sure, but they don't bother taking us through it. Good. gently caress off to the lot of ya that feel like we need it.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Medullah posted:

Mysterio was used to perfect effect on the PS2 Spider-Man 2 video game. The most epic final boss fight ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MZIU_feIk

Why did the Spider-Man 2 game star Harry Potter?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

I noticed that in a different moment when Tony said "Happy said you quit the band." I think that was the 2nd time and that's when I realized that both he and Happy were paying a lot more attention than Peter thought.

Also, wanna give the movie infinite props for not bothering with Uncle Ben. It's alluded to for sure, but they don't bother taking us through it. Good. gently caress off to the lot of ya that feel like we need it.

It's a little weird that they never even said his name though. I figured Peter would have at least made an off-hand mention of him when he was talking about how May had "been through so much." It's also weird how no one ever called May "aunt"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

That bothered me all the way back in Civil War. It's a sign of respect!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I guess the MCU inclusion does matter to people as Spider-Man Homecoming is well on the way of having Sony's second biggest opening weekend ever behind Spider-Man 3 and blowing the openings of both Amazing Spider-Man movies out of the water.

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 8, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it helps that it's actually a good movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

I guess the MCU inclusion does matter to people as Spider-Man Homecoming is well on the way of having Sony's second biggest opening weekend ever behind Spider-Man 3 and blowing the openings of both Amazing Spider-Man movies out of the water.

"N.B.D. :smug:"
- Sony press release

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

X-O posted:

Why would you have guessed otherwise? MCU branding has been in the spotlight for so long now, with nearly unanimous praise. Of course an MCU branded Spider-Man film would be a big deal to general audiences, and box returns naturally would show that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I mean it's going to look like chump change once the Emoji movie comes out and breaks every record ever.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Randall Park (Fresh Off the Boat and "Asian Jim" from The Office) has been cast as Jimmy Woo in Ant-Man and The Wasp.

He is going to be a major supporting character and based off of the Agent Woo from the Agents Of Atlas comic run.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

teagone posted:

Why would you have guessed otherwise? MCU branding has been in the spotlight for so long now, with nearly unanimous praise. Of course an MCU branded Spider-Man film would be a big deal to general audiences, and box returns naturally would show that.

I wouldn't have guessed otherwise, but there had been talk about whether it would help or just not matter at all in other circles because general audiences still kind of don't grasp the separation of the Marvel properties by studio and all they really know was that the last Spider-Man sucked. There's still a lot of people outside of the comic/movie fan bubble that think the X-Men films and MCU are connected and they just haven't crossed over yet. That was exactly why Iron Man was all over the advertising despite being not in the movie that much in comparison. If one were to watch the trailers and ads you'd think it was a team-up movie and he's not really in there much at all.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Randall Park (Fresh Off the Boat and "Asian Jim" from The Office) has been cast as Jimmy Woo in Ant-Man and The Wasp.

He is going to be a major supporting character and based off of the Agent Woo from the Agents Of Atlas comic run.

I'm totally down for more Randall Park. Can we get Constance Wu in the MCU too?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

I wouldn't have guessed otherwise, but there had been talk about whether it would help or just not matter at all in other circles because general audiences still kind of don't grasp the separation of the Marvel properties by studio and all they really know was that the last Spider-Man sucked. There's still a lot of people outside of the comic/movie fan bubble that think the X-Men films and MCU are connected and they just haven't crossed over yet. That was exactly why Iron Man was all over the advertising despite being not in the movie that much in comparison. If one were to watch the trailers and ads you'd think it was a team-up movie and he's not really in there much at all.

A lot of comments about the Inhumans trailer were "why are you doing this, just do more X-Men."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

A lot of comments about the Inhumans trailer were "why are you doing this, just do more X-Men."

which is dumb because X-Men has two more shows coming out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What is there besides Gifted?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Season 2 of Legion.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
Hannibal Burress had the best joke of the movie -- only made me realize I would watch an in-universe MCU stand up special.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Homecoming was a great film. Great.

Ned was loving insufferable and I hope the actor never works again. Zendaya was also terrible. Every other student who had lines barely made enough of an impression to be noticed. Tom Holland carried this entire thing on his shoulders and he knocked it out of the park. Michael Keaton was fantastic in every scene he had and I love that his story isn't over. Truly a great film but people are heaping praise on it as if it's the best comic book film ever made and it's not even in the top 5. Calm yo tits people.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

why are you like this

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ned and MJ were actually great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Ned and MJ were actually great.

No they weren't and if you actually think this I think I can discount your opinions on everything from this point on buddy.

Arist posted:

why are you like this

A realist who sees flaws?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhyno posted:

A realist who sees flaws?

A person who says poo poo like

Rhyno posted:

No they weren't and if you actually think this I think I can discount your opinions on everything from this point on buddy.

Rhyno posted:

I hope the actor never works again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Zendaya is a really, really bad actress. And yes, I have seen things she has been in. I was subjected to a KC Undercover marathon. Yeah she's young. That's not an excuse. Diddot for Ned. Ned was so horrible I didn't even bother to learn his real name.

HAHA A FEDORA JOKE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're extremely good but my problem is actually with the way you're saying it, my dude

• Locked thread