Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

BabyRyoga posted:

Is there no general Dota 2 thread anymore?

First ranked game back after a long hiatus, there was a hacker on the enemy team. Match ID is 2597808863. At 39:46, 3 players on my team DC. On my end, the game window just closed with no error or anything. At 40:12 it looks like a 4th leaves, but when he reconnected, he said his game crashed. At 39:33, Invoker's cursor goes off the game screen, then the first set of DCs happens. Anyone else experience anything like this? What do I do to make sure the Invoker gets a nice fat permanent VAC?

edit: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198180312858 is the guy in question. Mostly sure it was him, no one else had anything weird happen on their game screen around the time of the DCs

the people here will definitely want to hear about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i want statistics on what % of this thread is posts asking where the general dota thread is

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Radical posted:

theres two blue brand skins

ive never mistaken one hero for another in league but i think it happened once in dota when i was really zoned out. im pretty particular about paying attention to the enemy team when i pick so maybe thats why.

This was a few years ago when I only casually played league and riot were still vomiting out champs every other week and batches of skins even more often.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Majuju posted:

the people here will definitely want to hear about this

Those aren't people

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

BabyRyoga posted:

Those aren't people

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
League mostly gets away with its unfocused skin design by being mostly strict on sound design (most altered audio tells just have a filter over them) and having most skills involve telegraphed skillshots. Outside say, Veigar you're not gonna get Laguna'd or fingered by what you thought was an earlygame carry.

I haven't seen too many confusing dota2 effect skins or whatever, but I also mainly play gimmick modes. At the very least I don't think valve will ever reach HoN levels of Particle Hell.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

HoN was really bad because later on skins started changing heroes from being like, a bug to a human lady and poo poo like that. dota adds some dumb particles to razor or whatever that crashes the pcs of everyone in a third world country but he still looks like razor.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My only real problem is that cool ability effect upgrades are just getting stuck on hats instead of updated for the base hero. Some of the abilities are very bland looking compared to the updated effects that the gear provides.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Pretty sure that is a feature and not a bug.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Radical posted:

theres two blue brand skins

ive never mistaken one hero for another in league but i think it happened once in dota when i was really zoned out. im pretty particular about paying attention to the enemy team when i pick so maybe thats why.

Its been years and I every time I see the hero icon for the PA arcana i still think its terrorblade

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I bet Z "golden boy" ai never mistakes one hero for another

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Radical posted:

i want statistics on what % of this thread is posts asking where the general dota thread is

this kind of post is nahaz's batsignal im pretty sure

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i hope pyrion buys him an account so all of our favorite dota personalities can hang out on this dead gay forum

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
nahaz is craptacular

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Up Circle posted:

nahaz is craptacular

nahaz is occasionally correct about things

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp1ppk

quote:

What an incredible year it has been.

OG started out as an idea to form a team with a few fundamental principals: Friendship, trust and hard work. I finally was able to use the what I've learned over the years to feel confident as a captain with this new team, but not in an imposing way - I always strive to learn and become better every day, along with my teammates.

We had amazing success, and then a downfall.. but we survived through that and just like before, we repeated our pattern where we rose quickly but had another big fall when it mattered the most.
Winning big tournaments affects your mentality, and when we got to TI we were not able to reach the same level of fire and motivation we had for Manila. It felt like we were just playing the game, and I can see the people we played against would yell and scream and jump with excitement while we were mellow... I tried to instill motivation the best way I know, but in the end it did not work.

In the end, we were 5 players who are not all completely the same. While we did start out the team with these fundamentals, over time people changed a little bit, and it didn't feel the same as when we started the team.
Cr1t- and Miracle- are both very young and have a lot of potential. This was the first year for them playing in the highest level of dota, and I think they just want to try out new things while they can, it’s a growing process and I understand it, and I’m not going to hold them back.

With Moon it was a bit different, but out of respect for him it was not because of his talent nor skill that we parted ways with him, sometimes people have different personalities and don't work as well together.

Making a team is a very delicate procedure, there are so many factors involved that you can't just simply choose 5 players you think are good. It's extremely rare and hard to find people who will be on the same page as you, and it's something you also have to work for as a team, it doesn't just click right away. You really have to understand the other people on your team to be able to play the best together.

After being in several different teams, I can say that this was the best experience of my dota career so far. I don't think the 5 of us were completely on the same page, but we were very close—it showed with our success. Even tho we parted ways, it does not mean our friendship ends here. I really wish that Cr1t-, Miracle- and Moon all have success, because they are all incredible players, and I respect them.

Like some smart people said, don't be sad its over, be glad it happened.

So what comes next?

I am on vacation at my fathers place, and I talked to him yesterday. He used to compete in Judo, and he went to train in Japan.. and back then it was not simple for the Japanese to accept someone foreign training with them, so they would try to break him in any way possible. They would train for 8 hours, and after that they would have sparring matches—if you win, they throw another guy at you until you break. They just wanted you to go back home.

This went on for 6 months, and after that they finally started giving my father some respect, because he would not give up no matter what, he would fight on and would never quit.
After that they started calling him Tōshi, which means fighting spirit in Japanese, and even made him a Judogi with that written on it.

So like my dad, I am not one to give up easily. Even tho these changes are not easy, and things don't go your way.. Your plan A, plan B and plan C all fail, you still push on and find a solution, you don't give up. I won't give up. I aim to be the best and that won't change.

OG will stand, and I hope those who followed us will continue to do so, because this is going to be the beginning of something new, and something that will continue to be great.

#DreamGreen

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

looks like og finally saw the fan video.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
Honestly curious who OG is going to get now that it's just Fly and n0tail. Fly usually looked solid but that team was all about cr1t setting Miracle up for sick plays while n0tail hosed around. If n0tail stays on carry that team is going to struggle beating whatever stack synd decides to put together.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
funn1k, artour, and kuroky

jeef
Jun 1, 2004

my first call would be to Misery/W33 but it seems like digital ctrash may continue with their little noble european experiment

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
So I watch TI every year and I watched Shanghai this past year, but I don't have a good understanding of what pro Dota there is when there's not a major happening. There is some, right? Regional leagues, etc?

The list of competitions in the client is not terribly clear and seems to mostly have games from 2015 for some reason. Where do I watch things?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Angrymantium posted:

Honestly curious who OG is going to get now that it's just Fly and n0tail. Fly usually looked solid but that team was all about cr1t setting Miracle up for sick plays while n0tail hosed around. If n0tail stays on carry that team is going to struggle beating whatever stack synd decides to put together.

Search your feelings. You know the answer you seek.

EternalEnvy.OG

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

jeef posted:

my first call would be to Misery/W33 but it seems like digital ctrash may continue with their little noble european experiment

NaVi not changing so where would Reso go? I think DC should be ok, maybe drop Saksa, but nothing drastic.

OG could be EE rtz FATA n0tail Fly.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jeef posted:

You mean American. :colbert:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Saksa was the best player on DC.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ReWinter posted:

So I watch TI every year and I watched Shanghai this past year, but I don't have a good understanding of what pro Dota there is when there's not a major happening. There is some, right? Regional leagues, etc?

The list of competitions in the client is not terribly clear and seems to mostly have games from 2015 for some reason. Where do I watch things?

For this upcoming season instead of 4 Majors there will now only be 3. Fall Major is still a go I think for Frankfurt. Right now there are some low level leagues/qualifiers going down for tournaments like WCA. You can see upcoming games/leagues on these sites: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/Main_Page (check the nav bar on the right) or here: http://www.gosugamers.net/dota2

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Taffer posted:

particle effects

Its funny if you compare the original immortals to the new ones. All of the new ones are super elaborate and do something fancy with at least one ability. Meanwhile Abaddon's immortal is just a mace that does nothing.

EDIT: Oh it actually does change the apothic shield effect. Its just so similar to the original I never even knew :regd09:

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

it also changes his movement and attack animations

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Radical posted:

it also changes his movement and attack animations
quit loving up his narrative dude !

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat that sucks

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Up Circle posted:

funn1k, artour, and kuroky

put them into a team house with cameras, turn it into a cheesy MTV docu-soap opera.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Apparently the ~rumor~ right now is that DC is relocating to EU and Moo wanted to stay in NA.

e; DC.funn1k :v:

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Unfunny Poster posted:

You mean American. :colbert:

NOt so fast there MISTER

https://twitter.com/MooDota2/status/768863328890413056

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Craptacular! posted:

I'm sure it's more complicated than this, but Twitch gets one of the more popular Dota streamers back. That's about the only party that benefits, though the Dota community is by now quite loyal to Twitch anyway as OG and Puppey streams have found out in the past year.

Have you ever actually been to Panda.tv because it's honestly hilarious. Making a Chinese Knockoff joke is tempting but it's more akin to a tongue-in-cheek Twitch parody website.

I'm eager to watch this WESG Africa and Middle East LAN except I'm not sure if this stream going to just be the same looping graphic for 24 hours until the event actually starts or what

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Oh it actually does change the apothic shield effect. Its just so similar to the original I never even knew :regd09:

it's a totally different color...

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Moo, Moon, Aui + 2 for a new NA team?

Actually that's stupid

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Moon is joining dc

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's a totally different color...

Its pale blue with dark black lines while the default is pale blue with grey lines. So yeah its different but after 3 years I just thought it was the default. The Alliance set by comparison has a way more shocking change to the shield.

Regardless, my point is the changes made by the mace are way less gaudy than most of the new immortals which do ridiculous crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Xtanstic posted:

Moo, Moon, Aui + 2 for a new NA team?

Actually that's stupid

PPD Fear Moo +2 has the makings of the first real team I actively cheer for since DK 2014

• Locked thread