Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

The original NES classic was basically a huge marketing ploy to gin up interest before the Switch came out.

But I still don't get why they didn't just renew whatever licensing and make a shitload more until they stopped selling.

My favorite theory is that they didn't want it to out sell the Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sir Tonk posted:

The original NES classic was basically a huge marketing ploy to gin up interest before the Switch came out.

But I still don't get why they didn't just renew whatever licensing and make a shitload more until they stopped selling.

They'd be licensing the third-party games individually, so that could turn into a quagmire real fast if even one company said no.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Baron Snow posted:

:newlol:

I wish the SNES mini didn't have the stupid controller port door.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Nintendo really just has thousands of ebay and craigslist accounts, they are scalping their own product to us at a 300% markup and we will pay for it. Pretty smart actually.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

"You don't understand Nintendo like I do! He's a good man! He just... hurts me sometimes. But it's OK. I forgive him!"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Baron Snow posted:

The number manufactured basically outsold the Wii U.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I suspect that once the NES classic sold like crazy, all the involved companies suddenly added a bunch of zeroes to reupping the licensing agreements.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Aren't most of the games Nintendo IPs anyway?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Roughly a third of the games on both are third party

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Monopthalmus posted:

I thought it was closer to $200?

I got the factory HDMI audio upgrade and I should have clarified $300CDN :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Crimson Harvest posted:

I've tried to keep the dream alive with a Raspberry Pi but either it or my TV or the combination is a really substandard experience.

I'm building a Pi based SNES station but my biggest problem is that I want it to be as minimal as possible. I want to power it on and just get a list of games without going through menus or long boot screens.

Pretty much just want to hit a switch and see a list of SNES games in like 10-20 seconds. Kind of like what I have now with my SNES and SD2SNES.

My latest thought is to leave the Pi running 24/7 and use a GPIO switch to somehow toggle DPMI sleep/game reset. That would take care of the "quick boot". I'm sure I can get the minimal menus thing working too I'm just so tired of working on it right now.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Baron Snow posted:

That's actually a good point, although yeah probably not the reason.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1234326845/fpga-add-on-for-raspberrypi-snes-and-nes-in-one-mo/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Hahahah so this guy wants to use (at least part of) the funding to build a complete collection of NES/SNES games to test this FPGA. Is this for real?

quote:

I also want funding to increase my collection of SNES library so I can do more testing on different games and perfect the design.

quote:

The module hardware is very mature, I had done more than 7 revision of the board. There is not much challenges there except for production, if my fundraising is successful, I will continuously report on the item sourcing and production progress. I know quite a few manufacturers which certainly can meet the stringent requirements of FPGA and BGA board productions.

The challenges ahead are for the RaspberryPi interface, to develop a user friendly interface, in the snapshots ( gallery photos ), you can see the user interface is already there and further testing and it will be completed.

For the SNES / NES award, as I don't have each and every games in my procession, I will in the mean time collect more games with the fund raised and test, so I can only guaranteed when delivered next February it can run at least 300 games.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Can my Kickstarter pledge be in the form of a 7z with every SNES game ever made?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

xamphear posted:

Can my Kickstarter pledge be in the form of a 7z with every SNES game ever made?

No it has to be a RAR. "Where your Kickstarter money goes: WinRAR licenses"

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

xamphear posted:

It looks like it runs actual cartridges, so I'm not sure that would help.

I wonder if it's emulating things like the retrons, or if it's able to use the extra chips on carts that have it.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

It looks like it runs actual cartridges, so I'm not sure that would help.

I wonder if it's emulating things like the retrons, or if it's able to use the extra chips on carts that have it.

Wouldn't an N8 + Super Everdrive more or less work for this purpose then (special mappers and chips aside, but I think those are mostly worked out for the NES, and there aren't a ton for the SNES)?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That's ignoring that he wants like $130k to make a raspberry pi expansion board.

I'm not bullish on his funding success.

Oh he's in Hong Kong, nice.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Guy is just trying to scam his way into games.

There's no market for that product at all. Who is so anal about emulation they want FPGA but is still rocking a RPi?

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Does anyone know of an arcade interface for the Gamecube that is for the Left Stick, not the Dpad?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone else using OpenEmu on OS X here? I just started playing around with it, and the first thing I noticed is that it doesn't do a wonderful job with regards to rom management and simply doesn't know what a ton of the files are (although at least puts them under the right system). Also I couldn't find an OS X manager either.

I've got a Win 7 VM on my Mac that can read my OS X drives, so was wondering if running something like Romcenter and running all my garbage named files through it before importing them into OE might be the 'easiest' way? I'll probably also build up a little retro pi box in the future and run the ROMs from over the network, so it feels like I should get everything organized first.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone else using OpenEmu on OS X here? I just started playing around with it, and the first thing I noticed is that it doesn't do a wonderful job with regards to rom management and simply doesn't know what a ton of the files are (although at least puts them under the right system). Also I couldn't find an OS X manager either.

I've got a Win 7 VM on my Mac that can read my OS X drives, so was wondering if running something like Romcenter and running all my garbage named files through it before importing them into OE might be the 'easiest' way? I'll probably also build up a little retro pi box in the future and run the ROMs from over the network, so it feels like I should get everything organized first.

iirc openemu does things via checksum but you might have headered roms when it expects headerless ones. Get no intro sets if you can.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

fastbilly1 posted:

Does anyone know of an arcade interface for the Gamecube that is for the Left Stick, not the Dpad?

Are you trying to play Metal Slug Anthology on Wii?

The X-Arcade might work for this purpose. Far from 100% on that but I seem to remember mention of it somewhere in their copy.

As far as I know the only good arcade stick for Gamecube was the Japan-exclusive Soul Calibur II Hori stick. There's a cheap SCII universal (PS2/XBOX/GCN) stick in America made by Nuby that feels bad. Can't remember if either of these control left stick.

Not sure about the various adapters that may be out there. A hacked Wii U may present you with other options.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

univbee posted:

iirc openemu does things via checksum but you might have headered roms when it expects headerless ones. Get no intro sets if you can.

Thanks, will definitely look into that. Been many years since I messed about, and the last time then was using CoinOps on the old Xbox. Lots to learn and relearn!

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
please for the love of god do not get a loving xarcade

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Martytoof posted:

I'm building a Pi based SNES station but my biggest problem is that I want it to be as minimal as possible. I want to power it on and just get a list of games without going through menus or long boot screens.

Pretty much just want to hit a switch and see a list of SNES games in like 10-20 seconds. Kind of like what I have now with my SNES and SD2SNES.

My latest thought is to leave the Pi running 24/7 and use a GPIO switch to somehow toggle DPMI sleep/game reset. That would take care of the "quick boot". I'm sure I can get the minimal menus thing working too I'm just so tired of working on it right now.

That's easily doable. The issue I have isn't related to the presentation or interface though, it's that no matter what I try the controller input latency is awful and makes a lot of games unfun/impossible. Different gamepads, software/emulator settings, usb cables, bluetooth settings, nothing seems to help. I basically gave up and don't plan on using the thing anymore.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Crimson Harvest posted:

That's easily doable. The issue I have isn't related to the presentation or interface though, it's that no matter what I try the controller input latency is awful and makes a lot of games unfun/impossible. Different gamepads, software/emulator settings, usb cables, bluetooth settings, nothing seems to help. I basically gave up and don't plan on using the thing anymore.

Have you tried adjusting the TV settings? A lot of the high refresh rate TVs have a game mode that reduces input delay a lot.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Zand posted:

please for the love of god do not get a loving xarcade

it's just the absolute worst button layout ever and nobody will listen to me :toot:

e : excepting those abominations of lovely emulation cabs

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
I just need the interface, I am building the stick housing. X Arcade from what I have been told is mapped to dpad, not stick.

I have a disabled friend who loves Mario Kart, specifically Double Dash, but can no longer hold the Gamecube controller easily. He is able to control the game decently with an arcade stick in dolphin, but he does not have a computer capable of running the emulator. So if I can build him an arcade stick he will be in good shape.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

fastbilly1 posted:

I just need the interface, I am building the stick housing. X Arcade from what I have been told is mapped to dpad, not stick.

I have a disabled friend who loves Mario Kart, specifically Double Dash, but can no longer hold the Gamecube controller easily. He is able to control the game decently with an arcade stick in dolphin, but he does not have a computer capable of running the emulator. So if I can build him an arcade stick he will be in good shape.

well, then the upside is you can probably ignore the reasons we hate the xarcade stick in general, sorry about the mapping issue though

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

worthless. posted:

Have you tried adjusting the TV settings? A lot of the high refresh rate TVs have a game mode that reduces input delay a lot.

Yeah, I've tried both the 'game mode' and manually changing to all of the most basic options available, nothing seems to help.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

fastbilly1 posted:

I think you need a pelican stick's PCB. Those had a mode setting to swap between analog and digital.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

fastbilly1 posted:

There are a lot of people who make Arcade stick mods for GameCube controllers via the Smash community - maybe you could reach out to someone who's done that?

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

DoctorWhat posted:

There are a lot of people who make Arcade stick mods for GameCube controllers via the Smash community - maybe you could reach out to someone who's done that?

That was my next stop. But those sites are blocked at work while SA is not.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I got a Genesis 2 for free today, and while it looking to be one of the 'bad ones' from the link in the OP, I can't exactly figure out which one it is. It says "Made in Japan" on the back, but the one on the page about telling them apart only mentions China and Malyasia. And can't tell exactly from looking into the cart slot either. It does have the full heat sink so it not a later model through. Not too worry about it being a 'bad one' since I already have a good model 1 Genesis. Came with no cords, but it did come with a six button Genesis controller, which it being a offical one so it feels so much more comfortable to that previous one I had which I think was from the Genesis 3.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 23, 2017

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Crimson Harvest posted:

I had the most luck with disabling the wifi radio entirely and then setting my bluetooth controller (dualshock 3) to slave mode. This second thing is a total bitch because you have to do it every time you boot the pi up as far as I know.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

RichterIX posted:

I had the most luck with disabling the wifi radio entirely and then setting my bluetooth controller (dualshock 3) to slave mode. This second thing is a total bitch because you have to do it every time you boot the pi up as far as I know.

Really turning off the radio helped with the responsiveness? How'd you figure that out? And what is slave mode. These are things I've never heard of to try.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

univbee posted:

What's up with headers anyway? I assume ROM information is normally headerless, right? In that case who were the first dipshits to add that garbage to their dumps?

Like it normally doesn't matter to me until I need to patch a file and then it becomes a nuisance. Did those old "backup players" and copying devices and whatnot need them for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Does anyone have any insight on how the composers of the Toy Story Genesis version made the opening theme sound so drat good considering the documented issues with the sound on the console in general?

• Locked thread