Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I have a weird issue. I was playing Persona 5 earlier just fine until I got called away to do something else. Came back to it and my L1 button is now constantly activated. I've reset the console and tried reloading the save but L1 is just in a constant state of being pressed.

The actual button on the controller is clicking just fine and nothing feels broken so I'm not entirely sure what's causing this. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Welp, I glitched inside of geometry in SOMA and then saved my game, so now I guess I would have to start the game over.

:(

Edit: oh, there are actually discreet saves even though you can't manually save. Thank god.

Edit: happened again. It's not jumping related. Do not touch the seaweed. Even just walking into it. This game has a pretty decent auto save system thankfully.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 14, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I AM THE TOILET posted:

The best thing about The Order is the photo mode. You can pretty much take the camera anywhere and it's stunning the amount of detail they put into every nook and cranny in that game. It's truly gorgeous.

Which makes it all the more funny to me that Ready at Dawn went from something like that to something like Deformers, a $30 multiplayer-only title that's really, really unfun and so bare bones.

Yeah it's probably the prettiest game I've seen on the PS4, by a long shot.

It's not going to get one but I think a sequel would actually be really good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Order would have been improved if they'd even just let you use the cool interesting weapons for more than 10 minutes at a time. Why they thought spending the majority of the game with just pistols and rifles when stuff like a white phosphorus minigun or a Tesla lightning gun were available was a good idea I'll never know.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Horizon Zero Dawn is doing very little for me.

Gameplay's mostly another open-world icon hunt and it's got by far the least interesting aesthetic of the bewilderingly numerous "robotic post-apocalypse" games I've played this year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oxxidation posted:

Gameplay's mostly another open-world icon hunt and it's got by far the least interesting aesthetic of the bewilderingly numerous "robotic post-apocalypse" games I've played this year.

Turn off the HUD. Don't play it like an item hunt.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Oxxidation posted:

How far are you?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I did. Still dull.

Turning off HUD's has been a common recommendation I've seen since the first Assassin's Creed and it never benefits the game.

Mordiceius posted:

How far are you?

Just about to hit up the valley past Mother's Crown, though I took a quick detour to organize a big ol' raid against some d-bags camping out in what used to be a stadium.

mutata posted:

"Bewilderingly numerous robotic post-apocalypse games", eh? How about a list?

Automata and BotW. Weird we got three big-name games with the same basic setting in the span of a couple months.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

"Bewilderingly numerous robotic post-apocalypse games", eh? How about a list?

Edit: Because I don't believe you.

Edit2: Ehhhh, whatever. I wouldn't call 3 games "bewilderingly numerous", but whatever. Don't play games you don't find fun. It's a shame though because HZD is a masterpiece.

mutata fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 14, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, the robotic post-apocalypse is a common theme in 2017 and the games came out all around the same time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mutata posted:

HZD is a masterpiece.

It's not bad enough for me to quit but everything about it so far comes off as another by-the-numbers sack of CONTENT with a central conceit that really hurts the writing more than it helps. The characters come across as really stilted and unmemorable because they're all locked into this "primitive civilization" cosplay. I'm constantly reminded of Wild Hunt (the game's definitely not shy about sharing its ideas, I know that CDPR helped out a bit) and how in that game even the more basic NPC's had some flavor to them. Everyone here feels animatronic, and I don't just mean the animations.

I'm hoping that much will change soon at least because I'm getting the impression that the Nora are seen as a bunch of stick-up-the-rear end fundamentalist hicks by the rest of the world.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah things don't really change, it's a gameplay first game and if that doesn't click for you there isn't much else.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, the point they're at is even before the game opens up on both a story and gameplay level, it's barely out of the tutorial introduction

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, the point they're at is even before the game opens up on both a story and gameplay level, it's barely out of the tutorial introduction

I seriously doubt that. I have nearly the entire right-hand side of the map marked off already.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the robot apocalypse of zelda, wherein some enemies are robots

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I seriously doubt that. I have nearly the entire right-hand side of the map marked off already.

Yep, so barely out of the tutorial

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Everything prior to first viewing the holograms of the discussion preceding the Zero Dawn project is an extended prologue IMO. You need to hit that point to start getting to the juicy plot pieces.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Well I was going to stick with it anyway, so hopefully it'll pick up. I already got a wave of relief when Rost exploded. Gruffly say "we are OUTCASTS" at me from the hereafter, you bearded bore.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

There is a point where the game opens up and the main storyline really gets going and you aren't there yet. The gameplay will continue to be what you've been playing though.

There are definitely many tertiary characters that are just questgivers, but I do fondly remember most of the secondary costars. It's not a heavy cast-of-characters-driven game though, to be sure. They also do a lot of paradigm breaking with the characters they DO have which I appreciated very much. If you don't like how it looks (which is bizarre to me but ok) and don't dig how fighting the robots feels, then perhaps the story will grab you as it picks up later on. If you get past Maker's End and you're still not feeling it, there's no real reason to continue.

And if you hated Rost, then you don't DESERVE HIM YOU MONSTER.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But if you don't find hunting robot dinosaurs and being a giant badass loving awesome and fun as poo poo, the game might not be for you. But I think the story is really good, and if you haven't found out who Elizabet is yet, you haven't really started the story.

I would say ignore sidequests for a bit and push the main questline to see if it gets interesting for you.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't like Horizon much in the tutorial zone either, it just felt kind of boring.

I'm still not as high on Horizon as most people here seem to be but it genuinely does get a lot better after that.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

having played horizon and zelda and nier it still boggles my mind that people compare them in any capacity. hmm yes, game has robots???? well let me allow you to explain why nintendo is the strongest, actually,

edit: i guess they are all bound together by frame rate

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 14, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They are all open world-ish type games where a massive calamity has brought a previously technologically-advanced world to ruin, and much of the game features wandering around grassy overgrown ruins and fighting machines of different varieties.

The games are not identical and vary wildly in gameplay style but there are totally aesthetic and storytelling affinities worth noting

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the gameplay is wildly different in the games, though. like not remotely similar

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

the gameplay is wildly different in the games, though. like not remotely similar

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They are all open world-ish type games where a massive calamity has brought a previously technologically-advanced world to ruin, and much of the game features wandering around grassy overgrown ruins and fighting machines of different varieties.

The games are not identical and vary wildly in gameplay style but there are totally aesthetic and storytelling affinities worth noting

Bolded the argument for slow readers, hope this helps!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

rabidsquid posted:

Good thing no one compared them!

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Just Finished Horizon last night, the story stuff was dragging by the end but overall its a magnificent game, particularly enjoyed the variety of the robot enemies. Great game.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
I ended up not liking NieR: Automata and The Last Guardian, so I'm betting I'm going to get a hat trick of disappointment when I get Horizon: Zero Dawn in the mail and find out it's just another goddamn Far Cry game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After messing around with a handful of games on pro with pro patches/boost mode I can safely say I couldn't spot the difference on any of them with a gun to my head. Still no regrets. might be a different story a year from now and it's nice how quiet and cool it runs. It's just sort of funny how marginal the performance bump is. Basically nothing. At least on a 1080p display. I honestly couldn't really tell the difference on my friends 4K either though.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

rabidsquid posted:

the robot apocalypse of zelda, wherein some enemies are robots

What, those guys? I mean, it's just a couple guys. Or were you talking about the four much larger robots?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it really is a weird coincidence that 3 of the most well received games this year all have pretty noticeable thematic similarities and came out within weeks of each other. Imo it really just comes of as that, a coincidence though. None of the 3 feel inspired by each other in any way. I don't think robot apocalypse is the new thing to get run into the ground owr whatever. It did make for a weird little stretch of gaming if you played all three in a row though. Lots of unnecessary comparisons.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 14, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The apocalypse is very in right now. Also robots are cool

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
For some craaaazy reason a lot of people lately are fixated on the end of the world and their own imminent and inevitable deaths

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I enjoyed horizon very much but the story and characters are nowhere near as good as it's hyped up to be on these forums.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I ended up not liking NieR: Automata and The Last Guardian, so I'm betting I'm going to get a hat trick of disappointment when I get Horizon: Zero Dawn in the mail and find out it's just another goddamn Far Cry game.

Nier started slow for me but I'm having fun: but I like mindless button mashing RPGs

Don't feel bad about TLG. I felt the game sucked, through and through. I gave it in an honest go. I respect what they did or were trying to do, but yeah. Way over hyped imo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The story is super interesting imo. The characters aren't mind blowing but they get the job done and Aloy is very likable.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Oxxidation posted:

For some craaaazy reason a lot of people lately are fixated on the end of the world and their own imminent and inevitable deaths

On HZD - I came to it immediately after NieR and was REALLY not feeling it initially. Just felt boring and by the numbers.

I felt that things got a LOT better when I got further into the story and to Meridian.

In any other year, it would probably be my GOTY. Too bad NieR, Persona, and PUBG came out in the last few months.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Personally I liked HZD so much more than Neir it's not even worth comparing. It's pretty much neck and neck with Zelda though.

In the end I found Neir:A pretty drat enjoyable but I find the level of praise baffling tbh. I appreciate the weird poo poo it does but it's a C+ game through and through.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oxxidation posted:

I pray for robot apocalypse because at least it means we've got a lot of time left.

Like maybe we can cut STEM funding and eek out a couple more years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I found Nier tedious as gently caress and TLG was so poo poo that i only gave it a couple of hours before i abandoned it. HZD is really good though.