Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

More-aine for lyfe

You are my posting ally

Between this and the crying at the golden crane and also every one of your posts :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

This is the way (mwah-RAIN)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

More-Rain always

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Barreft posted:

More-Rain always

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

At the very least all these new meme formats are a delight.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'mma probably start Knife of Dreams tonight and read a couple of chapters. I'm glad that I am through the slog the last few books have been kind of difficult to get through but whatever.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I originally read that as "draft."

Goddam english language.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You were right to do so

They meant "drought"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Data Graham posted:

You were right to do so

They meant "drought"

i'd probably draft moiraine pretty high though, depending on the rules and selection

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

RC Cola posted:

You are my posting ally

Between this and the crying at the golden crane and also every one of your posts :hfive:

:hfive:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

eke out posted:

i'd probably draft moiraine pretty high though, depending on the rules and selection

Signal blue so you get passed more in the next pack yeah.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

God, the ending of Winter's Heart.

"It's clean. It's clean."

Because, I mean... what the gently caress else could you even say?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

At long last I’ve cleaned the dark one’s taint.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Knife of Dreams starts off really drat strong. Finishing up the prologue right now and drat a lot of poo poo has went down and got real.

RIP A real one Valda

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Knife of Dreams starts off really drat strong. Finishing up the prologue right now and drat a lot of poo poo has went down and got real.

RIP A real one Valda

Yeah, the plot moves further in the prologue of 11 than the entirety of 10.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Devorum posted:

Yeah, the plot moves further in the prologue of 11 than the entirety of 10.

I hope it maintains this pace through out.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

At long last I’ve cleaned the dark one’s taint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQ-IuMenS0

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Was it ever really explained why the group seemed able to spot Gray Men? I kind of assumed it was the chance-bending nature of Taveren working in their favour and messing with their unspottability, but then, who really knows?

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

I thought the only one who ever really spotted them was Perrin? I thought he could smell they were different which forced him to notice them with his eyes.

The encounters that Matt and Rand had, I thought the grey men just kind of swept up in the violence and they were always surprised to see more bodies than they were expecting?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mat spots one going after Tuon late in the series, and sees one almost too late in TDR

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Mat spots one going after Tuon late in the series, and sees one almost too late in TDR

Matt goes hyper-ta'veren after he gets cured of the dagger. That’s his main ability. It’s like Goku going super saiyan but with the pattern.

I’d argue he’s more ta'veren than Rand then.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Halftime thoughts on the show. It's not wheel of time but it is a story set in the same setting with similar characters and it mostly works.

I like it. I see a lot of flaws in it even if I disregard that it's not wheel of time. But it'll surely give us lots of fun moments!

(Also is the mat staying behind scene shot after they parted ways? Like is he just erased from the other scenes or was it planned this way? It's loving weird)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Affi posted:

Halftime thoughts on the show. It's not wheel of time but it is a story set in the same setting with similar characters and it mostly works.

I like it. I see a lot of flaws in it even if I disregard that it's not wheel of time. But it'll surely give us lots of fun moments!

(Also is the mat staying behind scene shot after they parted ways? Like is he just erased from the other scenes or was it planned this way? It's loving weird)

How is it not Wheel of Time?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SirSamVimes posted:

How is it not Wheel of Time?

No Narg :colbert:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hollismason posted:

Yeah this is the farthest I've read with the series, I've been just kind skimming the Perrin and Faile chapters because I hate the story and it has gently caress all to do with the main plot. Egwene and Elaynes stories are at least interesting. Plus Elaynes stories always have Aveindha in them so thats always a plus.

Nynaeve was noticably absent this novel as well , she was kind of there with Lan practicing swords. Also not much was really shown of the reaction the Ashaman have toward the cleansing of Saidan.

I'm kind of curious as to whether Rand will ever get better because he's been weak as hell the last couple of books especially with Fains wound and the unhealing wound. I'm not sure if he ever gets rid of either of those, but his constant nausea etc .. when he tries to channel is getting a little old.

edit:

Honestly can't believe I've read this many books. I've still got a ways to go maybe 3 weeks I'll be finished with the series.

yeah, dropping faile would have improved the book series

i wonder if the showrunners will drop the character completely, or rewrite her completely

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

when was the d&d game made, like between which books

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ChubbyChecker posted:

I don’t know exactly when but it’s based off 3rd edition D&D and we were playing it in our highschool D&D club in 2003 - it was already a few years old at that point.

Oh wait If you mean the video game that was like 1997 and has only the most tenuous connection to the books.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

ChubbyChecker posted:

It came out in 2001, between Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight. The sole official campaign ends at Dumai's Wells.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Gnoman posted:

It came out in 2001, between Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight. The sole official campaign ends at Dumai's Wells.

:tipshat:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jesus christ I'm glad someone else referenced this before I had to

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah, dropping faile would have improved the book series

Probably my least favourite character in the series. I remember my first read through and thinking the Shaido had done Perrin (and the rest of us) a favour but no, he had to go and ruin it all.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

He was lucky, that's all. It's kind of his thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I still think it's hilarious that the book canonically has a name and mechanistic explanation for "plot armor"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

I still think it's hilarious that the book canonically has a name and mechanistic explanation for "plot armor"

Look, don't hate the player hate the game

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Data Graham posted:

The wheel is unironically a perpetual tv generator for the creator. It's sole job is to keep it entertained. It adds pathos or shuffles characters around to keep things interesting and then swaps out for a new genre at the end of each age to keep things fresh.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Every reread I like Faile more as a character. She and Perrin have such a weird, kind of bad relationship, and so much of it is due to cultural clashes (a recurring theme in the series!) and Perrin thinking he has social skills when all he has is a magic eight ball that spins around to emotions.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Dingleberry2 posted:

I thought the only one who ever really spotted them was Perrin? I thought he could smell they were different which forced him to notice them with his eyes.

Nah, both Mat and Rand also have close encounters with Grey Men - it's a ta'veren thing that they are able to notice them last moment. Rand has one attack him in I think Caemlyn and Taim shows up and balefires it. Mat encounters one just after being healed, one that attacks Tuon, and there's the one(s) that infiltrates Mat's command post during the Last Battle. There are probably more that I'm not remembering.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Matt goes hyper-ta'veren after he gets cured of the dagger. That’s his main ability. It’s like Goku going super saiyan but with the pattern.

I’d argue he’s more ta'veren than Rand then.

Canonically Rand is a stronger ta'veren - this is why Perrin and Mat at various points are basically compelled to follow or find Rand. It also comes across in different ways for each.
Mat's ta'veren nature is concentrated in his luck - not only in gambling, but also being in the right place at the right time, or bending down to pick something up and avoiding a knife.
Perrin's ta'veren stuff is a bit more focused on the leadership/natural charisma side - stuff like the Ghealdan queen swearing fealty to him, rallying the Two Rivers, turning the Whitecloaks to his side eventually, and so on.
Rand gets the odd strange events happening around him more than the others (extra weddings, people falling off buildings and surviving or dying from weird misfortunes, etc).

Of course being ta'veren means they all get people wanting to do what they say and the plot armor.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Did anybody snag one of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The legendary sa'angreal does exist!