Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
I have a really, really nice leather jacket that belonged to my grandfather (he bought it new like 4-5 years ago and then died like a year later, so it isn't old or super neat) that I plan on wearing during the late fall/winter. Even if I am the doofus wearing a Harley-Davidson jacket on a Suzuki bike, I'm okay with that. I wanted something to give me some protection during this ridiculous heat. It's currently 95 degrees at 4pm.

Fall and spring are generally somewhere between 60 and 75, so I think mesh with a light, long sleeve t-shirt underneath will be all I need then. Alabama is hot and humid almost year round.

Diggie fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just like nobody *needs* earplugs, nobody *needs* mesh. It just makes the ride nicer and fatigues you less.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Radbot posted:

Just like nobody *needs* earplugs, nobody *needs* mesh. It just makes the ride nicer and fatigues you less.

No ear plugs means permanent hearing loss down the line. Wearing leather year-round just means you're more bad rear end.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Htfu in the neck department basically

(which I totally need to; for a few days after that 420mile round trip to Cambridge I was getting this really weird twitching in the muscles between my shoulder blades, ie the ones responsible for holding my head up. I was super freaky, felt like someone tapping me on the back, I kept turning round to see who it was :tinfoil:)

That's got nothing to do with weight though, that's aero. You can end up with 20 or 30 kilos of load on your neck from the wind loading. Also the vector of the weight is straight down your neck, the way it's designed to carry load, rather than pulling it back, which is a way that it's not designed to take load. The shoulder blade twitching thing probably has a lot more to do with tensing up than the actual load itself, that's a really common reaction when you're going at speed. It sounds silly but consciously relaxing your neck and shoulders at speed will do a lot to reduce fatigue (and increase your control).

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Diggie posted:

Fall and spring are generally somewhere between 60 and 75, so I think mesh with a light, long sleeve t-shirt underneath will be all I need then. Alabama is hot and humid almost year round.

You'll almost certainly be cold in that weather. You'd be surprised at how much riding at speed will cool you down. Ever notice how a 10-15mph wind outside can give a windchill about 10 degrees lower than the actual temp? Now imagine that at 50mph+.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Diggie posted:

70-75 is amazing with a mesh jacket and a t-shirt. Anything less gets a little chilly. Anything under 60 gets to be Pretty Cold if you don't layer up or have a windbreaker liner for the jacket.

That said, all you need is underarmor/nike thermal tights, cheap cotton long johns, t-shirt, a hoodie, and a mesh jacket with a liner to keep warm on a motard when it's 30 out.

Source: I wear one of these and I'm from (and currently living in) Houston.

e: Your biggest problem will be keeping your hands warm if you're out in the winter.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 28, 2015

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Digital_Jesus posted:

94 out today rockin full unperf leather. Harden Up Nerds.

You willingly ride an RC8 on the street, so that means you probably also wipe your rear end with an angle grinder and watch Old Yeller for the laughs.

You also own an SD1290 and I am jealous :negative:

Also to give a trip report on the poo poo the Goon Hivemind has recommended, I've owned the Dianese Air-Frame textile jacket for the last 5 months and suffice to say, holy poo poo what a good chunk of equipment. Unlike the Joe Rocket stuff I've owned in the past, this jacket flows air like crazy and makes humid, 93 degree days kind of passable on an air-cooled bike. The old Joe Rocket mesh gear honestly has nothing on this kit. I unzipped it one day while riding home because I am a sexy stunter because I was praying to dry off a little sweat before I got back home and noticed that while a t-shirt flows a shitload of air, the Air-Frame wasn't too far off in airflow. Now to pray that I never get to test the resilience of the thing.

Also, on a side note I'm happy with my GT-Air but goddamn those cheek pads crush like nothing else I've seen before. Close to a thousand miles on the bike with the helmet and it's still fish-facing me, which is getting really unpleasant. Time to contact Shoei for cheek pads for fatties. Otherwise, the GT-Air is a great helmet. The problem is I've only owned two helmets ever (an RF-1000 and now the GT-Air) and it's honestly hard to tell if it "flows" more than the RF-1000, although I'm wary to try the RF on the bike because it's long past its 5-year expiration date. Clicking the sunshade visor down also noticeably cuts down on airflow, but the visor itself is so good and optically clear that I'm willing to look past it for the convenience alone. Nerdiness be damned, its satisfying as gently caress to not have to swap out visors when riding in the evening.

In short, thank you for the advice, you sweaty, leathery hog straddlers!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

RC8s are surprisingly comfortable

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Radbot posted:

Everybody absolutely needs earplugs.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Marxalot posted:

70-75 is amazing with a mesh jacket and a t-shirt. Anything less gets a little chilly. Anything under 60 gets to be Pretty Cold if you don't layer up or have a windbreaker liner for the jacket.

That said, all you need is underarmor/nike thermal tights, cheap cotton long johns, t-shirt, a hoodie, and a mesh jacket with a liner to keep warm on a motard when it's 30 out.

Source: I wear one of these and I'm from (and currently living in) Houston.

e: Your biggest problem will be keeping your hands warm if you're out in the winter.

I have a cheap windbreaker that fits over my mesh jacket for the harsh SoCal winters (read: 50-60 degrees F)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Chichevache posted:

No ear plugs means permanent hearing loss down the line. Wearing leather year-round just means you're more bad rear end.

I would like to see some evidence that a person with a quiet bike and a full face helmet is damaging their hearing. I just don't believe it.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Its the constant wind noise from traveling at highway speeds that can be detrimental to your hearing, not your engine, unless you're riding a hog with eagles or something, then thats also a consideration.

If you never do anything but putter around town and don't take trips, lack of earplugs isn't going to hurt you either way.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Radbot posted:

I would like to see some evidence that a person with a quiet bike and a full face helmet is damaging their hearing. I just don't believe it.

I have more articles saved at home, but here's one http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC539364/

I guess it's possible that your bike and helmet are quiet enough, but using plugs is easy, and you can't fix hearing loss - better be safe than sorry.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
I never thought about ear plugs. I keep huge containers of disposable foamies on hand at all times in my range bag. Is that safe in traffic, though? I mean, I'd imagine being able to hear is a huge boost to awareness.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The only thing earplugs do is lower the overall volume of everything, not kill noise altogether. I've never had issues hearing road noises using them, it's just that they're no longer a tear-wrenching 120db or whatever.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

M42 posted:

The only thing earplugs do is lower the overall volume of everything, not kill noise altogether. I've never had issues hearing road noises using them, it's just that they're no longer a tear-wrenching 120db or whatever.

Fair enough. I'll try them on the way to work tomorrow.

I'm planning on buying a new helmet to replace the 3/4 that was loaned to me. Is Fulmer a reputable brand? A local shop has a really nice feeling helmet on sale for $100. I tried it on and it fit perfectly. It's one of the full face modular types where the chin bar lifts up and it has an internal sun visor inside.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Diggie posted:

I never thought about ear plugs. I keep huge containers of disposable foamies on hand at all times in my range bag. Is that safe in traffic, though? I mean, I'd imagine being able to hear is a huge boost to awareness.

Generally when non-bike people bring this up (as some have a kneejerk reaction to the concept thanks to inattentive cyclists) I like to ask how much they can hear inside their car with the windows up, and probably more importantly how much they can hear with the windows down above 30.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

M42 posted:

I have more articles saved at home, but here's one http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC539364/

I guess it's possible that your bike and helmet are quiet enough, but using plugs is easy, and you can't fix hearing loss - better be safe than sorry.

Hmm, interesting. Definitely seems like it can be harmful, though the highest sound level they tested was at over 100MPH (never ride this fast on my bike) and it reached the level of an MP3 player at max volume.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Radbot posted:

(never ride this fast on my bike)

Scrub.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

My current bike doesn't really go that fast, but I'd like to see you try it, lol

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Radbot posted:

My current bike doesn't really go that fast, but I'd like to see you try it, lol

:allears:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

I'm serious, if you can get my bike to 100MPH for a sustained period of time, I will buy you pizza and a beer. I'm in Denver, BTW.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Radbot posted:

I'm serious, if you can get my bike to 100MPH for a sustained period of time, I will buy you pizza and a beer. I'm in Denver, BTW.
My Ninjette will do that with a full tuck and enough runway. You aren't committed enough.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Radbot posted:

?? Onramp.jpg

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Radbot posted:

Hmm, interesting. Definitely seems like it can be harmful, though the highest sound level they tested was at over 100MPH (never ride this fast on my bike) and it reached the level of an MP3 player at max volume.

I would argue that the 90dB levels at 60 km/h are something you can attain. And prolonged exposure at that level will definitely lead to hearing loss.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10912379

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Radbot posted:

An MP3 player at max volume makes me cringe with pain though. And the point is that even if it doesn't seem that loud, it still causes sustained damage at long intervals. Notice how most landscapers still use hearing protection when they operate lawnmowers and leafblowers for long periods of time? Same concept.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Generally when non-bike people bring this up (as some have a kneejerk reaction to the concept thanks to inattentive cyclists) I like to ask how much they can hear inside their car with the windows up, and probably more importantly how much they can hear with the windows down above 30.

Exactly! Plus most people are using loud stereos or talking on their phones as well.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I wear earplugs so I don't have to hear the CUSTOM CUSTOM CHOPPERS ORANGE COUNTY CRUISER CHOPPER CUSTOM speech at gas stations

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fifty Three posted:

My Ninjette will do that with a full tuck and enough runway. You aren't committed enough.

My bike literally is not geared tall enough to go 100MPH, but glad to hear about the fun you've had on your Ninja.

Digital_Jesus posted:

?? Onramp.jpg

lol, yes I'm aware other motorcycles can go that fast

Radbot fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 28, 2015

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Well edited.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Digital_Jesus posted:

94 out today rockin full unperf leather. Harden Up Nerds.

Is that a dry 94? I've done perfed leathers in that heat (and very humid) and it's brutal when stopped. The nice thing about perfed leathers is that there's airflow even at slower speeds.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

Is that a dry 94? I've done perfed leathers in that heat (and very humid) and it's brutal when stopped. The nice thing about perfed leathers is that there's airflow even at slower speeds.

Unfortunately no. It's like 60% humidity here right now.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Z3n! Tell us about the custom headscanned Bell helmet thing! It's looking like I'm going to need one myself...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

Z3n! Tell us about the custom headscanned Bell helmet thing! It's looking like I'm going to need one myself...

Got scanned, in the 3-4 week lead time. Will post an update in my thread once it's arriving/ with additional things learned.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Radbot posted:

I did 95 on the CTX700 (DCT version) this morning, taking my dad's bike for a spin to work. It took 3 miles and a downhill part of the highway

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Razzled posted:

I did 95 on the CTX700 (DCT version) this morning, taking my dad's bike for a spin to work. It took 3 miles and a downhill part of the highway

She's not fast, but I love her.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Radbot posted:

Thanks for the confirmation.

But seriously why did you buy a CTX700 non DCT, they're not cheap

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Razzled posted:

But seriously why did you buy a CTX700 non DCT, they're not cheap

Mine has the DCT+ABS and I got it for $7k OTD.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
New Enough had Scorpion mesh jackets for sale today for $75 so I'm finally not going to have to ride in 100+ degree heat in my heavy waterproof touring jacket! A good day!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Hey sweet now I can have a vaginamouth when I ride

Source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hey sweet now I can have a vaginamouth when I ride

Source

Man that jumpsuit the model wears is very..... thin.