Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Al-Saqr posted:

So like what’s the significance of giving a written response to Putin by Biden? Wouldn’t anything short of what Russia wants mean that it’s just writing a letter saying ‘ try invading Ukraine bozo we’ll sanction you’?

I'm not sure it's transformative but it's productive insofar as it keeps channels open and gives some additional time to all the parties to calm down and de-escalate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

ive been reading some chizhevsky, what can people say about sunspot activity recently?

ill make the final determination about what will happen based on that data

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Al-Saqr posted:

So like what’s the significance of giving a written response to Putin by Biden? Wouldn’t anything short of what Russia wants mean that it’s just writing a letter saying ‘ try invading Ukraine bozo we’ll sanction you’?

I feel like attempting to sincerely respond is less aggressive than either ignoring it or openly mocking it, especially if the sincere attempt includes offers to move a little on a few items.

There’s also an audience that the US may be trying to sway in countries like Finland and Sweden where appearing as rational could be helpful.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think that's a key point. If you are in the US state department and you are drawing up your wishlist of things you might actually get out of all this, a Finland and Sweden that are actively contemplating NATO membership is probably up there.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Maybe its the whole "no troops east of Germany" grievance being brought up and they want their guarantees in writing this time

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm not saying what lollontee posted is the same as holocaust denial, but I would like them to summarize their argument and defend their use of the source, then we'll go from there.

Please there is no reason to treat someone as A Fellow Debater when their whole posting career is consistently dropping into threads to post stupid poo poo that riles people up and getting off on them wasting time trying to explain complicated topics that the person doesn't care about

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
People asked "What is the point of NATO now?" when the Soviet Union dissolved. Well, it looks like the Soviet Union's successor state is on its way to re-invigorating the alliance, making the case for its continued existence.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Alchenar posted:

I think that's a key point. If you are in the US state department and you are drawing up your wishlist of things you might actually get out of all this, a Finland and Sweden that are actively contemplating NATO membership is probably up there.

Why would the US actively desire to add Finland and Sweden to NATO? I know the answer, and I assume everyone here does too, but it definitely undermines the preferred thread narrative that NATO is only allowing countries in because it would be unfair to exclude them from our security umbrella in this cruel world.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

FishBulbia posted:

ive been reading some chizhevsky, what can people say about sunspot activity recently?

ill make the final determination about what will happen based on that data

Got my answer

we should be good for a bit.

no major invasion according to my analysis

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Al-Saqr posted:

The Russians want Blinken to make those public (and will most certainly leak them themselves regardless). Whatever's in there will probably form the basis for whichever casus belli Russia decides to act on.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Why would the US actively desire to add Finland and Sweden to NATO? I know the answer, and I assume everyone here does too, but it definitely undermines the preferred thread narrative that NATO is only allowing countries in because it would be unfair to exclude them from our security umbrella in this cruel world.

Because the two countries are already in NATO de-facto, and it'd be cheaper and more useful for NATO to stop the comedy on that account.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Because the two countries are already in NATO de-facto, and it'd be cheaper and more useful for NATO to stop the comedy on that account.

Seems more like an EU problem than an American problem if there are EU members outside of the American security umbrella. I don't see how it benefits the US in the direct way that you're proposing to resolve that issue, especially when those members aren't part of NATO by choice.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

Seems more like an EU problem than an American problem if there are EU members outside of the American security umbrella. I don't see how it benefits the US in the direct way that you're proposing to resolve that issue.

Because in most cases US security guarantees is what makes NATO valid, especially in the face of a country like, say, Russia who has a significantly large military that vastly outstrips even multiple EU nations militaries.

Regardless: US not being involved in NATO wouldn't change Russia's goals, especially since Russia is basically saying: Any Eastern European country east of Poland's border with Germany needs to not be a "threat" to Russian interests (worth nothing that includes being in the EU in general). And they are reinforcing that goal with forceful annexation and military threats.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Because in most cases US security guarantees is what makes NATO valid, especially in the face of a country like, say, Russia who has a significantly large military that vastly outstrips even multiple EU nations militaries.

That doesn't explain what benefit the US gets from convincing Sweden and Finland to join and obligate us to defend them if they're not interested.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Seems more like an EU problem than an American problem if there are EU members outside of the American security umbrella. I don't see how it benefits the US in the direct way that you're proposing to resolve that issue, especially when those members aren't part of NATO by choice.

It's more expensive for Americans to continue guaranteeing their security than it would be to simply plop proper NATO infrastructure there is what I'm saying. They're outside the American security umbrella only de jure, for their domestic political purposes.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sinteres posted:

That doesn't explain what benefit the US gets from convincing Sweden and Finland to join and obligate us to defend them if they're not interested.

...They would only join if they're interested, tho?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

How are u posted:

...They would only join if they're interested, tho?

The original post I responded to suggested that a benefit to all of this from the US perspective is convincing Sweden and Finland to sign up. My contention is that the US obviously does actively seek new NATO members to contain/roll back Russian influence, and has been pursuing that purpose nonstop since the Cold War ended, while the general consensus in the thread has been that NATO more passively accepts members who desire to join only to be free from fear of Russian aggression.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Interest in joining NATO has been rising in both of those countries, with an understandable spike in 2014 and seems a safe bet an even larger spike in interest right now. Still up to them to actually ask to join, but if Russia invades I'd be very surprised if they don't.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The Swedes are an independent arms manufacturer, they are by no means de-facto NATO.

Sinteres posted:

Being in NATO means having to buy American military hardware.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sinteres posted:

The original post I responded to suggested that a benefit to all of this from the US perspective is convincing Sweden and Finland to sign up. My contention is that the US obviously does actively seek new NATO members to contain/roll back Russian influence, and has been pursuing that purpose nonstop since the Cold War ended, while the general consensus in the thread has been that NATO more passively accepts members who desire to join only to be free from fear of Russian aggression.

So, taking your own words, do I understand correctly that countries that have joined NATO after the fall of the USSR were coerced to do so by the US, and had no interests of their own?

If that's not what you're saying, then good news, we've arrived at the common point of content with your posts. No one is arguing that US doesn't take advantage of other NATO member states (or prospects) for U.S. domestic agenda.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Swedes are an independent arms manufacturer, they are by no means de-facto NATO.

Independent arms manufacturer with 100% NATO spec army and shared military missions, last I've checked.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Swedes are an independent arms manufacturer

Debateable, the 90:s was a long time and we ourselves do import a fair share of the arms we use. Planes and grenades only get you so far.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Outside of the whole F-35 snafu that's really not true. Hell most of NATO is driving around in German tanks. France is pretty much all domestic equipment, etc...

Probably the closest thing might be a standard for calibres of weapons but "Everyone needs a rifle in 5.56 or 7.62 to ease ammunition compatibility" is a far cry from "Everyone MUST buy M16s from America".

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 21, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What, I don't think that's true. You can use your hardware but the systems are recommended to be NATO compatible (i.e. like radios, signals, etc.).

Because there's no way that Germany was going to buy the Abrams. And a lot of NATO countries have their own tanks, trucks, aircraft, etc. I think they try to ensure compatibility with ammunition too, but that's about it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It at least nudges them in that direction, which is a good point. And coincidentally, other than Turkey (which gets all kinds of exceptions), it means they can't flirt with Russian arms deals either. Though the US sanctions countries it doesn't want to buy Russian too now (again, other than Turkey??), so it might be a redundant benefit at this point.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

So, taking your own words, do I understand correctly that countries that have joined NATO after the fall of the USSR were coerced to do so by the US, and had no interests of their own?

If that's not what you're saying, then good news, we've arrived at the common point of content with your posts. No one is arguing that US doesn't take advantage of other NATO member states (or prospects) for U.S. domestic agenda.

No, I don't think it's all about coercion, though I do think the us vs them divide we've contributed to does in turn contribute to the negative security environment that's led to some countries deciding they need that protection. Maybe renewed imperialism by Russia was always inevitable--obviously people predicted it might happen going back to the weakest post-Soviet days--but I don't think the US ever made a good faith effort to reach out to Russia as partners and escape this hostile relationship that leaves countries caught in between us, but mostly took advantage of Russian weakness to obliterate Russian power and influence. Yes, diplomatically in some cases, but also by attacking countries like Serbia and Libya. And whether you agree about R2P as it applies to Serbia or not, the reason we applied it there instead of somewhere like Yemen more recently is obviously because it was convenient for the US to crush Serbia while it's convenient for the US to sell arms to Saudi Arabia.

If I gave the impression in previous posts that Russia's totally justified in lashing out at its neighbors to prevent these losses, I don't really believe that. I guess what I'd say is that given Russia's diplomatic and economic weakness, it's understandable that they'd choose to engage in the one arena where they do still have strength, and that more attempts should have been made to engage with them diplomatically and acknowledge their concerns going back to the 90's so maybe we'd have a more constructive relationship. Again, maybe Russian imperialism was inevitable, but if it wasn't initially, American imperialism certainly gave Russia a push in that direction. And American intransigence (as well as Russia's own overambitious demands) is to this day preventing possible diplomatic solutions to current problems.

In the long run I also think the US is making a huge mistake by totally alienating Russia and pushing them to rely more and more on China, but long term strategy has rarely been an American strong suit.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 21, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Outside of the whole F-35 snafu that's really not true. Hell most of NATO is driving around in German tanks. France is pretty much all domestic equipment, etc...

Day a French president makes them reliant on American stuff is the day they get strangled by zombie DeGaulle rising from his grave.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

What, I don't think that's true. You can use your hardware but the systems are recommended to be NATO compatible (i.e. like radios, signals, etc.).

Because there's no way that Germany was going to buy the Abrams. And a lot of NATO countries have their own tanks, trucks, aircraft, etc.

Yeah your stuff just needs to meet the standards in the relevant STANAG. Practially you end up buying stuff that has some US equity, because it's almost impossible to procure a piece of modern military equipment that hasn't had components sub-contracted out to companies across NATO.

And frankly if you want the best and you can afford the logistical cost that comes with it, piggybacking off the R&D spend that the US does is often the smartest move in the game.

e: Russia was a NATO partner for peace and there were even air and naval exercises in the years running up to 2014. The hand was outstretched.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

Yeah your stuff just needs to meet the standards in the relevant STANAG. Practially you end up buying stuff that has some US equity, because it's almost impossible to procure a piece of modern military equipment that hasn't had components sub-contracted out to companies across NATO.

And frankly if you want the best and you can afford the logistical cost that comes with it, piggybacking off the R&D spend that the US does is often the smartest move in the game.

e: Russia was a NATO partner for peace and there were even air and naval exercises in the years running up to 2014. The hand was outstretched.

Yeah and in most cases the US will supply relevant sub-systems and even provide training.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Wikipedia posted:

In 1942, Soviet leader Joseph Stalin became aware of Chizhevsky's research work, including Physical Factors Of The Historical Process, and Chizhevsky was asked to retract his writings on solar cycles, which contradicted Soviet theories of the reasons for the Russian revolutions of 1905 and 1917.

Alright, this makes me curious...what the gently caress did the Soviets think solar cycles had to do in any way with the revolutions of 1905 and 1917?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
If it was merely a question of national security, Finland would have joined NATO a long time ago. But when you share a border with another country and do trade with them, keeping good relations does have certain benefits. Sweden hasn't shared borders with Russia in a long time and last time they did, people rode horses instead of cars. The fear of Russia isn't ingrained in their national identity the same way it is to Finland's. Both Swedes and Finns also largely despise United States and their ham-fisted way of doing foreign policy, which doesn't help NATO's popularity.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sinteres posted:

No, I don't think it's all about coercion, though I do think the us vs them divide we've contributed to does in turn contribute to the negative security environment that's led to some countries deciding they need that protection. Maybe renewed imperialism by Russia was always inevitable--obviously people predicted it might happen going back to the weakest post-Soviet days--but I don't think the US ever made a good faith effort to reach out to Russia as partners and escape this hostile relationship that leaves countries caught in between us, but mostly took advantage of Russian weakness to obliterate Russian power and influence. Yes, diplomatically in some cases, but also by attacking countries like Serbia and Libya. And whether you agree about R2P as it applies to Serbia or not, the reason we applied it there instead of somewhere like Yemen more recently is obviously because it was convenient for the US to crush Serbia while it's convenient for the US to sell arms to Saudi Arabia.

If I gave the impression in previous posts that Russia's totally justified in lashing out at its neighbors to prevent these losses, I don't really believe that. I guess what I'd say is that given Russia's diplomatic and economic weakness, it's understandable that they'd choose to engage in the one arena where they do still have strength, and that more attempts should have been made to engage with them diplomatically and acknowledge their concerns going back to the 90's so maybe we'd have a more constructive relationship. Again, maybe Russian imperialism was inevitable, but if it wasn't initially, American imperialism certainly gave Russia a push in that direction. And American intransigence (as well as Russia's own overambitious demands) is to this day preventing possible diplomatic solutions to current problems.

In the long run I also think the US is making a huge mistake by totally alienating Russia and pushing them to rely more and more on China, but long term strategy has rarely been an American strong suit.

I do agree that Russia got hosed over by the America left and right, at least for the entirety of the 90s - which clearly did inform subsequent prioritization work done by the Russian establishment. I don't agree on some other things (e.g. that US efforts would be well spent to try actively reverting the course on Russia), but this is a much clearer argument for you to make, thanks.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Alright, this makes me curious...what the gently caress did the Soviets think solar cycles had to do in any way with the revolutions of 1905 and 1917?

The soviets didn't. they could permit Chizhevsky because he was a competent biologist -- when he was in the camps he stopped a cholora outbreak, so was treated well enough and allowed to continue his work until he was rehablitated. Same reason they could abide by some of the more utopian dreaming of the now socialist hero tsiolkovsky too, who was influenced by the even more insane fedorov, who believed that mankind must undertake the mission of universally resurrecting all human beings who have ever existed (Doestovsky once asked him in a letter if he meant literal resurrection, or figurative, in the sense of renan, he clarified he meant literally raising the dead).

But yes, to suggest that the sun gave people the passionarnost to do a revolution (rather than it being the personal child of Lenin) was pretty offensive to Stalin, so Chizhevsky was denounced as a mystic hiding behind the mask of science.

Russian cosmists of the late 19th and early 20th century make tesla look like a reserved scholar. I'm getting really into them, might be start of manic episode, cant really tell.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 21, 2022

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Good to see that NATO is standing united.

https://twitter.com/Doranimated/status/1484606185185624067

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Germany is basically undermined by their dependance on Russian gas and in the middle of winter and a gas crisis, is playing both sides.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Don't worry, they have innovative diplomatic options that will surely influence Russia:
https://mobile.twitter.com/apmassaro3/status/1484594200284999688

I wouldn't discount this completely, it might just result in Putin hurting himself badly from laughing too hard.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/21/blinken-us-russia-talks-ukraine-527569

Slightly more expanded summary on the Russia-US bilateral talks, and this sounds like something that could go on for a while. Unless Putin goes “well, thanks for confirming in writing that you mean to antagonise us” next Tuesday and gives the standby troops a go.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Germany is basically undermined by their dependance on Russian gas and in the middle of winter and a gas crisis, is playing both sides.

Too bad they closed down all those environmentally friendly nuclear plants.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 21, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Edit is not post, my bad

OddObserver posted:

Don't worry, they have innovative diplomatic options that will surely influence Russia:
https://mobile.twitter.com/apmassaro3/status/1484594200284999688

I wouldn't discount this completely, it might just result in Putin hurting himself badly from laughing too hard.

What the hell is he smoking? Russia, for better or for worse, already went full in on Nuclear to replace large portions of their fossil generation in the next 10-20 years. This isn't even an ISSUE Putin likely wants to engage on given they are busy selling gas to Germany...

And not like Germany's renewable plan is even going well right now.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Edit is not post, my bad

What the hell is he smoking? Russia, for better or for worse, already went full in on Nuclear to replace large portions of their fossil generation in the next 10-20 years. This isn't even an ISSUE Putin likely wants to engage on given they are busy selling gas to Germany...

And not like Germany's renewable plan is even going well right now.

Germany: We will cooperate with you on an initiative for renewables that will directly reduce your international influence due to being a gas and oil exporting petrostate, how about it?

I'm sure that's going to go well :laugh:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

This was iirc (can't check WSJ because of pay wall) at least partly about howitzers and their ammunition that was originally from USSR and bought by East Germany, then after unification Finland bought a bunch for cheap because we use the same caliber anyway. Then later Finland donated a bunch of those guns to Estonia, who are now modernizing their equipment to Nato standards but Ukraine still uses a lot of that howitzer model.

In this case the transfer would also have required Finland's approval, so it was quite unlikely to happen in any case - for foreign political reasons obviously, but also because domestically the act of approving the transfer of arms to a war zone is politically loaded.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The official statement from NATO on Russia's demand that NATO not be allowed to have troops within Eastern European NATO member-states:

https://twitter.com/NATOpress/status/1484634859045892104

Nenonen posted:

This was iirc (can't check WSJ because of pay wall) at least partly about howitzers and their ammunition that was originally from USSR and bought by East Germany, then after unification Finland bought a bunch for cheap because we use the same caliber anyway. Then later Finland donated a bunch of those guns to Estonia, who are now modernizing their equipment to Nato standards but Ukraine still uses a lot of that howitzer model.

In this case the transfer would also have required Finland's approval, so it was quite unlikely to happen in any case - for foreign political reasons obviously, but also because domestically the act of approving the transfer of arms to a war zone is politically loaded.

the article states it is not about finland not approving but germany having a policy against sending weapons to "tense regions."

quote:

Germany is blocking North Atlantic Treaty Organization ally Estonia from giving military support to Ukraine by refusing to issue permits for German-origin weapons to be exported to Kyiv as it braces for a potential Russian invasion.

Unlike the U.S., Britain, Poland and other allies, the German government has declined to export lethal weapons directly to Ukraine.

In the case of Estonia, a small country on Russia’s northern border, Berlin is also refusing to allow a third country to send artillery to Ukraine because the weaponry originated in Germany, according to Estonian and German officials.

The issue is being seen by Western security specialists and Ukraine as a test of Berlin’s arms-transfer policy during a mounting crisis in Europe and points to the difficulties the U.S. and its European allies are facing in forging a common response to Russia’s military buildup near Ukraine and demands.

“Germany, they have a lot of hesitation to deliver to us,” Ukraine’s Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal.

German officials said the impasse results from a longstanding policy regarding arms exports to tense regions.

“The principle governing arms exports is always the same—whether they come directly from Germany or from third countries—and no permission has been issued at this stage,” a German government spokesman said. “It is not possible to estimate the outcome of the process at this moment,” he added.

An Estonian government official said that his government is still trying to persuade Germany to change its mind.

“Hopefully we will get the approval from Germany,” Kristo Enn Vaga, adviser to the Estonian defense minister said. “Estonia has shown that we want to help Ukraine in practical terms in any way we can.”

Ukrainian officials said that any arms are desperately needed and that allowing Estonia to send the artillery pieces could be precedent for sending additional German-origin systems from other countries. While the Estonian weapons wouldn’t change the dynamics on the battlefield, Germany’s refusal could be read by Moscow as another sign of division in the West’s ranks.

Broader strains within the Western alliance have emerged in recent weeks over how to assist Ukraine and what to include in the severe economic penalties U.S. and European officials have said will be imposed if Russia attacks Ukraine.

French President Emmanuel Macron earlier this week proposed that the European Union formulate a separate policy toward Russia to be coordinated with NATO.

The U.S. has also been seeking a German commitment not to permit Nord Stream 2, a Russian-built natural gas pipeline, to operate in the event of Russian aggression. Germany Chancellor Olaf Scholz has said that there will be a “high cost” for Moscow in the event of military aggression, but hasn’t firmly committed to halting the pipeline.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

^^ Deleted tweet.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/21/russia-and-us-to-meet-in-geneva-as-ukraine-war-fears-grow

As per Guardian, Biden-Putin summit on the table.