Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah the plot of the prequels could have been interesting since tragic falls from grace have been appealing stories for years but instead it was done terribly and sucked

im on the net me boys posted:

yeah what the gently caress was up with space leia I don't feel like that ever got adequately explained

she used the force despite having exhibited no force powers in the previous four movies and withstanding the vacuum of space having not ever been established as within the realm of possibility with the force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There is at least some precedent with Leia having noticeable Force affinity, her son being powerful in it and the old EU has her learn some Jedi stuff on the side at least, but nothing really in-universe. (the old EU also firmly established Han Solo has no Force powers at all)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

she used the force despite having exhibited no force powers in the previous four movies and withstanding the vacuum of space having not ever been established as within the realm of possibility with the force

the worst excuse i heard is "but humans can actually survive for 30 seconds in vacuum in real life!"

sure, under perfect conditions, but not after your old lady rear end just got exploded out of the cockpit with a missile

she's dead, jim

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah the plot of the prequels could have been interesting since tragic falls from grace have been appealing stories for years but instead it was done terribly and sucked

she was skywalking you idiots

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

I’m willing to accept every criticism of TLJ but this one. The force is some mystic bullshit that always could influence the world in mysterious ways. It may not have been a good use of the force storytelling wise, but it made sense.

(Rian Johnson is an untalented hack anyway, have you seen Book of Henry?)

jakodee has issued a correction as of 06:25 on Apr 27, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

no she was spacewalking

:smuggo:

it seriously was dumb as hell because it would have been much more powerful for Leia to die right then, that's my biggest problem with it. If you're not gonna kill her, just have her get to an escape pod.

e: vvv Star Wars is now a woke brand, this is on topic discussion :dealwithit:

WampaLord has issued a correction as of 06:37 on Apr 27, 2019

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

For real, there’s at least 4 Star Wars threads on this dead gay forum already and this is page 4 of Prequel Chat.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jakodee posted:

Book of Henry was by the person who was supposed to direct Episode 9.

And also you're wrong, the force is very subtle and nuanced for a reason. It's a huge loving deal when the Emperor shoots goddamn lightning in ROTJ because we had no clue the Force was truly that powerful until then, outside of maybe Yoda lifting the X-Wing out of the swamp.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

jakodee posted:

I’m willing to accept every criticism of TLJ but this one. The force is some mystic bullshit that always could influence the world in mysterious ways. It may not have been a good use of the force storytelling wise, but it made sense.

rian johnson is cool and didn’t make The Book of Henry.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
OT is good. maybe good by a fluke or w/e but good movies

the rest are either lucas garbage or by the numbers blockbuster garbage

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WampaLord posted:

That was certainly the goal, but the execution was so bad. If you "do your own thing" but that thing is garbage, I do not have to respect your attempt at doing your own thing. TFA is nothing but a remake of ANH but it's a million times better than any prequel movie because the execution was much better.

the one thing that they set up that was kinda subtle could have been cool was that you can totally read the scene with Han and Kylo as Han deliberately pulling himself on the blade, committing suicide as a way to break Kylo out of his dilemma

which then got totally ignored

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TLJ ran away screaming from anything remotely interesting set up in TFA

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

shut the gently caress up about Star Wars you nerds, Jesus Christ

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Peanut President posted:

star wars is bad

I was told by dickeye to say something about Star Wars and I found it

Star Wars is bad

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Lord of the Rings is good

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Ghost Leviathan posted:

TLJ ran away screaming from anything remotely interesting set up in TFA

list of interesting things set up in tfa:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the fact that both kylo and rey were conflicted force novices and little stake in light or dark had the potential to be interesting. kylo had that glimmer of light and rey had that intense anger. but that's honestly it.

Milkfred E. Moore has issued a correction as of 11:39 on Apr 27, 2019

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

jakodee posted:

Also luke explicitly told her in the original trilogy she could use the force she just never learned or maybe she did idk

Also Rian Johnson didn't write book of henry but did write brick and looper, which are cool, and also wrote brothers bloom which is poo poo, like the last jedi.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I thought the luke stuff where he wants to destroy use of the force because he sees the jedi order as inherently corrosive as the sith is really neat, but he had no impact whatsoever on the main character's thinking, and just dropped dead because he Did A Thing Too Hard without any foreshadowing that that would happen, and also the storyline on the ship where people Did Things for two hours with no effect was super bad.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I don't care about any star wars opinion that is not my own, which is that they're like 40% good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Star Wars is 70% good, 30% bad

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Star Wars is 70% good, 30% bad

50% concentrated power of will

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

10% Bulk, 20% Skull, 50% concentrated power of Grayskull, 5% Pleasance, 20% Bane, 100% reason to remember my name

(finally I get that out of my system, I'd make a terrible meme video out of that if I had any talent at all)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I like letters S, R, and W. The rest I don't really care for.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

WampaLord posted:

That was certainly the goal, but the execution was so bad. If you "do your own thing" but that thing is garbage, I do not have to respect your attempt at doing your own thing. TFA is nothing but a remake of ANH but it's a million times better than any prequel movie because the execution was much better.

The "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" scream might be the stupidest moment in the whole saga if Space Leia hadn't happened in TLJ.

This is where you and I differ. I'd rather have a bad movie that I can remember than a competently made movie that is one giant blur

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

drat her last name is magic

What an insightful character development

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dreddout posted:

This is where you and I differ. I'd rather have a bad movie that I can remember than a competently made movie that is one giant blur

Yea we're never going to see eye to eye on this because Episode 2 is one giant loving blur to me but I can remember TFA/Rogue One/TLJ just fine. And I'd rather have no bad movies, unless they shoot the moon and become so bad it's good, but the prequels were not that, they were just bad and boring.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

shut the gently caress up about Star Wars you nerds, Jesus Christ

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

WampaLord posted:

Yea we're never going to see eye to eye on this because Episode 2 is one giant loving blur to me but I can remember TFA/Rogue One/TLJ just fine. And I'd rather have no bad movies, unless they shoot the moon and become so bad it's good, but the prequels were not that, they were just bad and boring.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

I like rogue one too for the same reasons as the prequels :)

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I just remember that brothers bloom also has an entirely pointless death of one of its main characters at the very end. Rian Johnson likes it when people die for symbolic reasons but doesn't put a lot of effort in figuring out how to get from A to B.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I remember about all the movies, but then again I remember a lot of poo poo that I'd rather not and also that I can't imagine why my brain considered it worth remembering.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Oh great, another thread derailed by Star Wars chat. Then again, it's less stressful than reading about the thread topic.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the vast majority of Star Wars movies are terrible. sad but true

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

rian johnson is cool and didn’t make The Book of Henry.

Then I guess I’m just mega-dumb.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

30.5 Days posted:

Also luke explicitly told her in the original trilogy she could use the force she just never learned or maybe she did idk

Also Rian Johnson didn't write book of henry but did write brick and looper, which are cool, and also wrote brothers bloom which is poo poo, like the last jedi.

Oh poo poo Brick’s alright. TLJ was still kinda... eh.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

the vast majority of Star Wars movies are terrible. sad but true

Same for the Simpsons. Star Trek's getting there too.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

star wars is on topic because every megablockbuster disney movie is cynical cashing-in on wokeness with zero honesty whatsoever. like the last superhero one where the air force was made woke

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
or beauty and the beast with a token gay man while still not even saying it out loud because it would keep conservatives away

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Shear Modulus posted:

star wars is on topic because every megablockbuster disney movie is cynical cashing-in on wokeness with zero honesty whatsoever. like the last superhero one where the air force was made woke

captain marvel is actually really funny because
turns out the really nice technocratic dictatorship she works for is actually fascist and kidnapped her and erased her memories in a legit "are we the baddies" moment & she turns on them DESPITE BEING IN THE AIR FORCE WHICH IS THE SAME loving THING. She works for the space navy SEALs!!!! but the air force was good because they were trying to end wars not fight them :bahgawd:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Peanut President posted:

captain marvel is actually really funny because
turns out the really nice technocratic dictatorship she works for is actually fascist and kidnapped her and erased her memories in a legit "are we the baddies" moment & she turns on them DESPITE BEING IN THE AIR FORCE WHICH IS THE SAME loving THING. She works for the space navy SEALs!!!! but the air force was good because they were trying to end wars not fight them :bahgawd:

That project was started and run by her mentor lady, who was also a rebel from the space fash, doing a skunk works thing. The air force -- being dumb and fashy -- would probably have shut down her program for some nebulous bureaucratic reason, or tried to use it as a weapon.

KozmoNaut has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Apr 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

got any sevens posted:

or beauty and the beast with a token gay man while still not even saying it out loud because it would keep conservatives away

look, the guy can eat like eight dozen eggs, cut him some slack