Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I’m struggling with Rania Mortal due to all of the exposition dumps. I’m partway through chapter 8 and know way more about the empire than I do about what the actual plot might be. I know people are saying that the author acts like “show, don’t tell” is the coward’s path, but is something going to actually happen soon, or will another character pop out of the woodwork and start explaining their backstory directly to the camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

you definitely need to be down for a fair bit of 4th wall breaking meta stuff to enjoy Rania Mortal, but yes there are definitely adventures and multiple levels of plot that will happen

but at chapter 8 you haven't even begun to approach the level of exposition dumping that's going to happen down the line - I will say it's far more setting than character related, because as noted the author came up with a genuinely neat/insane concept for a fantasy world and then seemingly couldn't figure out how to organically explain/reveal what is going on with Rania/the setting as a whole to the reader, so you eventually start getting extremely exposition-heavy chapters from the POV of a character who knows (and has a fair degree of direct responsibility for) what's going on at a high level

this is more forgivable than it might seem because what's going on is really weird + it's hard to imagine characters or readers arriving at the correct conclusion without some pretty overt info dumping, and the author correctly chooses to advance the plot instead of dragging things out for a zillion chapters of vague hints, but it's still a story that feels like it might have benefitted a lot from a traditional editorial process and non-serialized distribution to solve that core issue with the narrative, because it's the thing that keeps it confined to the "much better than most RR content" tier for me despite the author's genuine strengths in other areas/having an original take on a fantasy setting/enjoying reading it/etc.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Rania's got some good ideas, but it's kinda smothered in a bunch of stuff that isn't that interesting... although it's fun enough that I can power through and keep reading. Carousel, linked above, I think does a better job of doing fourth wall-esque stuff although it's of a different flavor.

Not a web serial, but I would say that if you enjoy the Rania parts of Rania, check out the Gwenpool comic book, because Rania is basically Gwenpool but better written (by Chris "Dr McNinja" Hastings). Like basically everything I recommend, the first few chapters might be a bit of a turn-off (in this case because she starts off as a weird hyperviolent Deadpool type) but once Hastings figures out what to do with her, it gets pretty fun with her abusing her meta knowledge.

edit: Also, unrelated to the above, sometimes Re:TT is very transparent about it being a platform for the author to rant

quote:

I’ll think it over and come back to it, Tabitha decided as she continued. They gave me enough sheets that I can rewrite this completely at least once, and I should have plenty of time, still. I know for sure I’m absolutely keeping the em dash—the em dash is the SUPERIOR punctuation, and my teachers here—like it or not—are going to have to get used to seeing it more often.
coupled with several paragraphs detailing Tabby's math exam

Argue fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 2, 2024

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
max best you dumbass you were told to buy wibwob, not put wibwob third on your shopping list

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Carousel is good stuff. Just finished arc 1, which makes it the longest I've ever stuck with a LitRPG that also has stats. Unfortunately, I'm not inclined to pay 12 usd a month for Kindle Unlimited, but dammit this is probably the first thing moving there that I will actually miss

edit: if you remove the stats, but keep the skill/trope system, this would make for a pretty fun tv show, and it could easily be done low budget like a campy horror film too

Argue fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 3, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Argue posted:

Carousel is good stuff. Just finished arc 1, which makes it the longest I've ever stuck with a LitRPG that also has stats. Unfortunately, I'm not inclined to pay 12 usd a month for Kindle Unlimited, but dammit this is probably the first thing moving there that I will actually miss

Frequently when a story moves to KU it'll just be the previous content, and new chapters will still come out for some number of months before moving to KU. So if you like a story enough to read it as it updates, you don't need KU.

You can also usually buy KU books on the Amazon store the old fashioned way, though the option is a little hidden (and you need a way to read e-books, though that's easy enough if you're willing to install a program for it).

Bremen fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 3, 2024

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I do wonder how stubbing affects acquiring new readers on Royal Road, since you can't really get new readers to read the current Royal Road chapters without them having to buy the initial books/subscribe to KU and read that first.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sailor Dave posted:

I do wonder how stubbing affects acquiring new readers on Royal Road, since you can't really get new readers to read the current Royal Road chapters without them having to buy the initial books/subscribe to KU and read that first.

Royal Road also hides stubbed stories by default on the main page so unless your story made waves you get pretty crippled in terms of new readers.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The thing that gets me is that there’s no good way to read KU books on my e-reader, even if I’m willing to buy them, as Amazon requires such books be exclusive to their marketplace. This is, of course, the true nature of Kindle Unlimited; it’s a way for Amazon to use their e-book store to try to crush other device manufacturers and stores. I don’t blame authors for participating, of course, but as a reader it’s very frustrating. (It is possible to put a book on KU without DRM, but it’s a bit confusing and few readers likely know how to deal with it anyway.)

Absum
May 28, 2013

I mostly ignore stubbed stuff. There have been some I would have been willing to pay the (usually quite low) cost for. Except I want to avoid paying Amazon as much as possible and I don't understand e-readers so F.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sailor Dave posted:

The authors seem to think it's worth it, monetarily. Maybe at certain point you stop getting new readers on RR?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think it’s more that RR readers don’t pay you. Some of them do, of course, but most readers will never subscribe to your Patreon.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

nrook posted:

The thing that gets me is that there’s no good way to read KU books on my e-reader, even if I’m willing to buy them, as Amazon requires such books be exclusive to their marketplace. This is, of course, the true nature of Kindle Unlimited; it’s a way for Amazon to use their e-book store to try to crush other device manufacturers and stores. I don’t blame authors for participating, of course, but as a reader it’s very frustrating. (It is possible to put a book on KU without DRM, but it’s a bit confusing and few readers likely know how to deal with it anyway.)
Reading it illegally on your e-reader? Trivial.

Buying kindle unlimited? Trivial, just costs a bit.

Getting the author their cut of what you paid? Sorry, even if you pay for KU and get it on KU you're going to have to manually page through the entire thing on your phone, and hope they don't decide you're a bot.

loving Amazon.

Of course, you can usually (always?) buy the kindle version regardless, but it would be really helpful if kindle unlimited was less hostile to everyone except Amazon's income.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Sailor Dave posted:

The smartest strategy I've seen is the one used for Beneath the Dragoneye Moons. New chapters go up regularly on Patreon/RR, the published books are on KU except the most recent book which is buy only so invested Kindle readers buy it and it can stay up on RR. Occasionally the author takes the whole thing off KU and puts it back up on RR to gain visibility on RR and pick up new readers, particularly those who avoid Amazon but will do Patreon. There is probably more to it than this but it seems way smarter than the stub to permanent KU thing most authors do.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
SS 105 public: recycling is complicated. I wonder if it's like my recycling where it doesn't matter how you sort it because the companies send it all the landfill anyway.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I saw somebody say Carousel was stubbing up to the gargoyle bit, so if you're beyond that you're good, it'll be on RR still.

The RR phone app is pretty good too. Not great, but good enough.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SS 120: Turns out Aulia's high pressure cooker environment pissed off both Lute and Hazel who'd guess? As much as a teenage brat she is being right now I kinda pity her.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 3, 2024

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
It's generally polite to spoiler tag Patreon chapters.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

My bad, hit the wrong tag on the app.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
You're bolding instead of spoiling but yeah the latest patreon chapter is hilarious and very very good!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SupSup 120: This seems to basically confirm that Aulia values Alden more than Hazel (and possibly more than literally all of her children/grandchildren). Not so much because of her siding with him, but because of her revealing Hazel's Skill (which is what really triggers Hazel losing her poo poo - it's a very "tangible" representation of Aulia "casting her aside").

Which...isn't that surprising, since Aulia probably cares even more about Alden's commendation (which she absolutely knows about) than most of Avowed society (who already care enough about it to make Alden a shoe-in to any schools he wants to attend).

While Hazel sucks and absolutely deserves this, Aulia really comes out looking the worst here. She basically showered love on this kid for years and cast her aside when she didn't become the right rank.

edit: It's really impossible to understate how much Aulia hosed over Hazel here. Hazel's Skill - which is probably her big defining B-Rank Skill - being secret is extremely important for it to be useful. And it was just revealed in a large public gathering. It's very similar to revealing a Sway's Skill, and has similar consequences.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 3, 2024

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Ytlaya posted:

SupSup 120: This seems to basically confirm that Aulia values Alden more than Hazel (and possibly more than literally all of her children/grandchildren). Not so much because of her siding with him, but because of her revealing Hazel's Skill (which is what really triggers Hazel losing her poo poo - it's a very "tangible" representation of Aulia "casting her aside").

Which...isn't that surprising, since Aulia probably cares even more about Alden's commendation (which she absolutely knows about) than most of Avowed society (who already care enough about it to make Alden a shoe-in to any schools he wants to attend).

While Hazel sucks and absolutely deserves this, Aulia really comes out looking the worst here. She basically showered love on this kid for years and cast her aside when she didn't become the right rank.

edit: It's really impossible to understate how much Aulia hosed over Hazel here. Hazel's Skill - which is probably her big defining B-Rank Skill - being secret is extremely important for it to be useful. And it was just revealed in a large public gathering. It's very similar to revealing a Sway's Skill, and has similar consequences.

(SupSup 120) The problem is really that Aulia would have always humiliated Hazel if she had been rude enough to someone important to the family. Hazel was raised to be aware that Artonans, Anesidoran officials and superheroes are people she can't afford to offend, but she also thinks she outranks everyone else, and that's never been true. Aulia made her back down when she was being rude to Lute after his S-rank, too.

The central thing is that Alden accidentally created the perfect storm of scandal. Hazel very obviously wronged a very important person to the family, and that was revealed in the middle of a Velra gathering, full of people endangered or at least greatly inconvenienced for a time by a storm of bad luck, all because Hazel needed a class. And this right after the whole Roman affair, too! It wasn't just "reveal the skill or anger Alden with a transparent cover-up," it was "reveal the skill or anger Alden AND all of the Velra in earshot with evidence of her continued favorism for someone who seems increasingly unworthy of it." Aulia really had no alternative without weakening her power over the entire family.

In other words, good job Alden, you're a very good roommate. That's one hell of a gift to Lute.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SupSup 120: One other element to this whole situation is that it revealed to Aulia that "Alden (successfully and at least somewhat frequently) does word-chains," which is something it's very possible she didn't know. She absolutely knew everything on his fake profile, but I don't think she would have known about his use of word-chains (which is seemingly a pretty uncommon skill for young non-Chainer Avowed - Alden was only able to learn them as successfully as he has due to the "gremlin"). So Alden revealing the Hazel incident was a double-whammy, since it not only revealed that Hazel had harmed someone Aulia favors more highly, but also likely increased her favor for Alden in the process.

Einander posted:

(SupSup 120) The problem is really that Aulia would have always humiliated Hazel if she had been rude enough to someone important to the family. Hazel was raised to be aware that Artonans, Anesidoran officials and superheroes are people she can't afford to offend, but she also thinks she outranks everyone else, and that's never been true. Aulia made her back down when she was being rude to Lute after his S-rank, too.

The central thing is that Alden accidentally created the perfect storm of scandal. Hazel very obviously wronged a very important person to the family, and that was revealed in the middle of a Velra gathering, full of people endangered or at least greatly inconvenienced for a time by a storm of bad luck, all because Hazel needed a class. And this right after the whole Roman affair, too! It wasn't just "reveal the skill or anger Alden with a transparent cover-up," it was "reveal the skill or anger Alden AND all of the Velra in earshot with evidence of her continued favorism for someone who seems increasingly unworthy of it." Aulia really had no alternative without weakening her power over the entire family.

In other words, good job Alden, you're a very good roommate. That's one hell of a gift to Lute.

It's not just about humiliation. It's about revealing the Skill, which is a very tangible punishment with serious consequences to Hazel's future career. And despite not getting the S, Hazel is still important - she still has whatever talent/sixth-sense that made the Palace of Unbreaking Artonans care about her (and the Artonans don't as much about Avowed Rank as human Avowed, since Ranks aren't even consistent between species).

Aulia absolutely could have brushed it under the table, or humiliated Hazel without revealing the exact nature of the Skill - she has the social talent for that, and no one could/would push against it except for Alden (who wouldn't want to push the issue beyond being firm about not wanting to spend time around Hazel). Hazel was already doing a non-apology, and Aulia could have just chided her (and maybe acknowledged something in private to Alden to curry favor with him). Or she could have acknowledged it was Hazel's Skill, but without giving any details about it due to the well-known Velra habit of secret-keeping. But instead Aulia explicitly revealed the exact, full nature of Hazel's Skill. That doesn't just hurt Hazel - it also tangibly hurts the family itself some, by revealing details about the capabilities of one of its members (and if I understood correctly, I think Hazel might be the only human Avowed with that Skill?).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SupSup 120

It's funny how people are talking about Hazel being humiliated, because her wright "boyfriend" she's dragging along to the party is the same wright that was delivering drugs in Chapter 101 to the Velra drug den and the one she took photos of to blackmail. She presumably called on that blackmail and told him to roll around in some dirt to make her look better by comparison.

Ytlaya posted:

SupSup 120: One other element to this whole situation is that it revealed to Aulia that "Alden (successfully and at least somewhat frequently) does word-chains," which is something it's very possible she didn't know. She absolutely knew everything on his fake profile, but I don't think she would have known about his use of word-chains (which is seemingly a pretty uncommon skill for young non-Chainer Avowed - Alden was only able to learn them as successfully as he has due to the "gremlin"). So Alden revealing the Hazel incident was a double-whammy, since it not only revealed that Hazel had harmed someone Aulia favors more highly, but also likely increased her favor for Alden in the process.

If Aulia knew that the Palace had asked Lute to train up Alden with all the chainer knowledge (and without the limitations of an rear end tattoo to her family) she'd probably lose her poo poo.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
im just here for the bad mental texting

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Ytlaya posted:

It's not just about humiliation. It's about revealing the Skill, which is a very tangible punishment with serious consequences to Hazel's future career. And despite not getting the S, Hazel is still important - she still has whatever talent/sixth-sense that made the Palace of Unbreaking Artonans care about her (and the Artonans don't as much about Avowed Rank as human Avowed, since Ranks aren't even consistent between species).

Aulia absolutely could have brushed it under the table, or humiliated Hazel without revealing the exact nature of the Skill - she has the social talent for that, and no one could/would push against it except for Alden (who wouldn't want to push the issue beyond being firm about not wanting to spend time around Hazel). Hazel was already doing a non-apology, and Aulia could have just chided her (and maybe acknowledged something in private to Alden to curry favor with him). Or she could have acknowledged it was Hazel's Skill, but without giving any details about it due to the well-known Velra habit of secret-keeping. But instead Aulia explicitly revealed the exact, full nature of Hazel's Skill. That doesn't just hurt Hazel - it also tangibly hurts the family itself some, by revealing details about the capabilities of one of its members (and if I understood correctly, I think Hazel might be the only human Avowed with that Skill?).

(SupSup 120) Alden's accusation was, as I said, basically a perfect storm. There was a single, tangible wrong, and either it was done or it wasn't, and the accusation itself couldn't be misunderstood. Furthermore, even before Lute is allowed to tell Alden things covered by the Velra tattoo, he can still say, "Yes, Hazel probably did that to you," and Alden has repeatedly says he likes Lute. Given that Alden cares enough about that incident to call Hazel out in the middle of all the Velra, he's probably brought it up to Lute. Aulia knows the tattoo and she knows its rules, because she made them and she gets a frequent refresher on it everytime someone new is inducted into it. She knows that Lute absolutely would have been able to tell Alden what he did and that he probably would tell him (because Lute hates Hazel), so she knows Alden has strong reason to suspect Hazel. And, again, Alden cared enough to call her out in the middle of a party, right in front of Aulia. He is obviously invested in this.

It'd be one thing if Hazel had a different skill and she could prove it wasn't possible, but Hazel has that skill. So anything less than "yes, she did it" when Hazel absolutely did it would be saying that either what Hazel did is okay with her or that it's not that big a deal. She either forces Hazel to admit the wrong to at least the exact degree she did or Aulia pisses off Alden and inflicts collateral damage to her own reputation among all the Velra around (who are currently predisposed to look unkindly on Hazel, as mentioned).

Also, Aulia absolutely massaged the reveal here as much as she could. Alden's accusation left it possible that Hazel's skill was effectively unbounded calling-in of wordchain debt. Aulia however says it "gently ushers a chain toward its debtor," suggesting that it only works on chains that are about to expire anyway. I doubt it's that weak. She also asks what the chain is, rather than leaving the price he paid ambiguous. In case anyone listening doesn't know Peace of Mind, she even mentions that it's popular. Most of the people there don't know about Moon Thegund, so they're going to come out with an impression that the price he paid for the chain Hazel wasted wasn't that bad, when Aulia knows it absolutely was bad. If she wanted to make the others present aware of that, she absolutely could have, and maybe even done so in a way that would make Alden feel vindicated instead of embarrassed.

I expect that Hazel will pick up on precisely zero of this, but this was absolutely a highly capable social manipulator running damage control. It's just that there's only so much damage you can control when someone is that bold and direct about an accusation in such a public setting.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SupSup 120: lmao, I just realized that Jacob is the guy from that one interlude chapter (the one with Manon and Kibby) and that Hazel is the girl who blackmailed him. Somehow I was completely oblivious to the fact that the brown-haired girl was Hazel (or that the boy in this latest chapter was the same boy).

Einander posted:

(SupSup 120) In case anyone listening doesn't know Peace of Mind, she even mentions that it's popular. Most of the people there don't know about Moon Thegund, so they're going to come out with an impression that the price he paid for the chain Hazel wasted wasn't that bad, when Aulia knows it absolutely was bad. If she wanted to make the others present aware of that, she absolutely could have, and maybe even done so in a way that would make Alden feel vindicated instead of embarrassed.

I think you missed something about the Peace of Mind thing. The fact that it was Peace of Mind that she used her Skill on makes it worse. We don't know exactly why, but everyone reacted to the fact that she used it on that specific wordchain, and Alden speculated about why that might make it worse (how it probably relates to how "healthy" the wordchain is). Aulia emphasizes the "popular" part not because it made Hazel's actions less bad, but because it made them worse. Hazel's parents react very badly to this information, seemingly because they realize the gravity of what Hazel did.

Edit: I looked up the part in question where Peace of Mind is mentioned:

quote:

“It was Peace of Mind,” he said slowly.

“I see,” said Aulia. “A wonderful chain. One of the most popular ones in the universe in fact.”

Corin and Hugh blanched. Cady was wringing her hands. From the corner of his eye, Alden noted that Keiko had a sort of ready-to-pounce look about her. Like if something went too horribly wrong she was prepared to break it up.

Popular is bad…because the chain is super healthy? he guessed. So there’s even less reason for her to usher the debt toward me than there would have been otherwise?

This is Aulia emphasizing how badly Hazel hosed up by using her Skill to call in the debt on this specific chain, not trying to make it look less bad. And Alden then goes on to speculate why the chain being popular makes Hazel's actions worse (since it was apparently obvious from both Aulia's tone and the reactions of other family members).

I also think you're underestimating Aulia's social savvy here. She absolutely could have have pushed past the situation and made Alden look weird if he kept repeating the accusation (though I think her social knowledge is strong enough that she realizes Alden wouldn't do this - he won't lie or let himself be coerced into doing something he doesn't want to do, but he also doesn't care about (or desire) starting a fight with Hazel and the Velras. Would it still lead to rumors spreading about Hazel's actions/Skill? Probably, but the Velras can afford damage control (hell, Haoyu even directly references how his parents could stop his silly new hypothetical nickname from spreading).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 4, 2024

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

SupSup 120: lmao, I just realized that Jacob is the guy from that one interlude chapter (the one with Manon and Kibby) and that Hazel is the girl who blackmailed him. Somehow I was completely oblivious to the fact that the brown-haired girl was Hazel (or that the boy in this latest chapter was the same boy).

I think you missed something about the Peace of Mind thing. The fact that it was Peace of Mind that she used her Skill on makes it worse. We don't know exactly why, but everyone reacted to the fact that she used it on that specific wordchain, and Alden speculated about why that might make it worse (how it probably relates to how "healthy" the wordchain is). Aulia emphasizes the "popular" part not because it made Hazel's actions less bad, but because it made them worse. Hazel's parents react very badly to this information, seemingly because they realize the gravity of what Hazel did.

Edit: I looked up the part in question where Peace of Mind is mentioned:

This is Aulia emphasizing how badly Hazel hosed up by using her Skill to call in the debt on this specific chain, not trying to make it look less bad. And Alden then goes on to speculate why the chain being popular makes Hazel's actions worse (since it was apparently obvious from both Aulia's tone and the reactions of other family members).

I also think you're underestimating Aulia's social savvy here. She absolutely could have have pushed past the situation and made Alden look weird if he kept repeating the accusation (though I think her social knowledge is strong enough that she realizes Alden wouldn't do this - he won't lie or let himself be coerced into doing something he doesn't want to do, but he also doesn't care about (or desire) starting a fight with Hazel and the Velras. Would it still lead to rumors spreading about Hazel's actions/Skill? Probably, but the Velras can afford damage control (hell, Haoyu even directly references how his parents could stop his silly new hypothetical nickname from spreading).

(SupSup 120) I did read that chunk of text, yes. I just think you're reading it wrong, so let me clarify what I took away from that.

Alden's inference there is that the Chainer skill she used is used to protect chains from careless chainers who won't pay back the debt, and Peace of Mind is so stable that it doesn't need protecting. They're reacting like that because her using that skill on that chain effectively proves that she couldn't have had a good reason for doing so, which is what Alden was accusing her of in the first place. Proving that much doesn't make things much worse for her. Rather, I'm pretty sure "Hazel force-activated a chain for no good reason" is a lot less damaging than "Hazel forced someone to waste a chain that might have been really valuable" (neither half of Peace of Mind is very strong by chain standards; it's no Self-Mastery), let alone "Hazel wasted the good half of Peace of Mind for someone who spent six months on a demon moon" (which Aulia knows). Hence, I consider it damage control: she's taking a minor hit to prevent a worse one.

As for your last paragraph... Aulia doesn't know Alden very well, is the thing. This is the first time she's seeing him, and the only Velra he's been around for any amount of time since the funeral is Lute. How would she know how eager he is to pick a fight with the Velras? All she knows is 1) he didn't return any of her friendly networking messages for months, 2) he seems to like Lute a lot (and her initial reaction to seeing Lute was stone-faced surprise, so I think she was expecting a messy fight), and 3) Alden accused Hazel within five minutes of seeing her, while she's surrounded by family and next to her very powerful grandmother, in the middle of a party. And Aulia's reaction reads to me as her thinking that Alden really is mad about it, and that she's putting a fairly high price on mollifying him. That means admitting that Hazel did it and distancing herself from that mistake (while still quietly minimizing it where she can).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Villainess
Neo-Anguish will have no interest in returning to the world she will have only just left, so Rosa is safe from her. But what's protecting her from the other six Viles? Is the assumption that they will be too distracted by the civil war to do anything?

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

cyrn posted:

The smartest strategy I've seen is the one used for Beneath the Dragoneye Moons. New chapters go up regularly on Patreon/RR, the published books are on KU except the most recent book which is buy only so invested Kindle readers buy it and it can stay up on RR. Occasionally the author takes the whole thing off KU and puts it back up on RR to gain visibility on RR and pick up new readers, particularly those who avoid Amazon but will do Patreon. There is probably more to it than this but it seems way smarter than the stub to permanent KU thing most authors do.

I am extremely unlikely to go back to RR - the last time was a particular set of conditions, and even then it probably cost me $10-15k for that almost-month to be off KU.

Like. The KU money is just THAT GOOD.

Briefly looking at my income sheet - last year KU was $135k/490k total, and that's with two whole months basically not existing for KU, and a third month needed to ramp back up.

Also, if people are interested, I could share the in-depth details. Don't want to just come on here and talk all about me, but if it's wanted...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Selkie Myth posted:

I am extremely unlikely to go back to RR - the last time was a particular set of conditions, and even then it probably cost me $10-15k for that almost-month to be off KU.

Like. The KU money is just THAT GOOD.

Briefly looking at my income sheet - last year KU was $135k/490k total, and that's with two whole months basically not existing for KU, and a third month needed to ramp back up.

Also, if people are interested, I could share the in-depth details. Don't want to just come on here and talk all about me, but if it's wanted...

That would be very interesting. What did coming back to RR the last time accomplish for you, in terms of numbers/sales, other than losing the KU money?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there were more people reading books on Kindle Unlimited than on Royal Road overall total, given Amazon itself is bigger than Royal Road. In particular Kindle is more friendly to less web savvy people like my dad.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
As an addition to that I have to notify him every time I upload a new chapter and often provide the link

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kyoujin posted:

SS 105 public: recycling is complicated. I wonder if it's like my recycling where it doesn't matter how you sort it because the companies send it all the landfill anyway.

That was pretty funny, yeah.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Kyoujin posted:

It made me laugh because I thought for years you could recycle clean aluminum foil in my area but apparently you can't???

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
SupSup 120: I just realized that if Lute had kept shaper, he wouldn't have lost his eye. Only the chainers were included in the gloss, good and bad.

Jessica's rationale for coercing Lute into taking chainer was to keep him safe, and it directly led to him losing his eye.

lmao get wrecked lovely mom.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

SoupSoup105: has some sort of reason ever been established why Alden can't do a partial affixation? Like only grab Burden of Spell when he's got enough free authority to choose two or three things? If having more free authority is good both for his advancement and for his wellbeing, wouldn't he want to preserve some to not have to start all over from zero? Wouldn't a smaller affixation be less traumatic?

From the chapters with Mother it sure seems like that is not an option, (for example the advice to 'amass as much free authority as possible' is expressed as "take the biggest affixation you can"). I'm just curious if there's a reason for it to work that way.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Griddle of Love posted:

SoupSoup105: has some sort of reason ever been established why Alden can't do a partial affixation? Like only grab Burden of Spell when he's got enough free authority to choose two or three things? If having more free authority is good both for his advancement and for his wellbeing, wouldn't he want to preserve some to not have to start all over from zero? Wouldn't a smaller affixation be less traumatic?

From the chapters with Mother it sure seems like that is not an option, (for example the advice to 'amass as much free authority as possible' is expressed as "take the biggest affixation you can"). I'm just curious if there's a reason for it to work that way.

Sleyca said in a comment to a question to that effect on Patreon that affixations are pretty much all "too painful for words" regardless of how big or small if you have an authority sense like Alden. Doing smaller ones would just be the same amount of agony but more often.

I don't know if her response came up in response to a comment in a later chapter or not. I don't believe there's anything that would this would spoil from the patreon chapters, but I'm putting in spoilers just in case.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Griddle of Love posted:

I mean, this is the "swim in acid to train acid resistance" trend of LitRPGs. SupSup doesn't do that; Alden wants to affix as seldom as possible because it is excessively traumatic and he doesn't treat pain as just words to skip over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Griddle of Love posted:

Based on how painful it is and "Mother's" generally honest and helpful advice being to "take the largest affixations you can," I think it probably hurts too much to want to do it more often than absolutely necessary.

It is surprising that the Earth System doesn't default to partial affixations. That would, as you point out, result in faster authority growth for Avowed. And why wouldn't you want your slave soldiers to be stronger? ... Reading what I just wrong, I see why they might not want that.

Also, the Artonans seem to have a real thing for limiting the free authority of everyone who isn't them.