Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Slavvy posted:

It's apples and oranges though, the western allies were focused on strategic bombing while the soviets used their air force as part of combined arms operations with the army.

The Allies did plenty of this, too. In fact, I'd argue RAF CAS was probably the most effective and most responsive tactical air support system developed during the war.

As early as 1941, the British had the "Cab Rank" system. RAF or Army ground spotters would have ground targets marked with mortar or artillery smoke. Orbiting RAF fighter-bombers like the Hawker Typhoon would then be pulled from an orbiting "cab rank" and attack the marked targets as needed.

The USAAF eventually adopted something similar to the British model and used dismounted pilots as tactical air controllers and air liaison officers (something that the USAF and USMC still do today).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

xthetenth posted:

The US had a considerable amount of manpower they could have used but didn't, and a pretty hefty chunk of guys in the Pacific that weren't in use. Plus I don't think that WWII was a flat out demographic disaster for the US.

Pretty sure there wouldn't have been any time to organise fresh troops or bring to bear the US' incredible economic might because berlin to the french coast really isn't very far at all.

Bacarruda posted:

The USAAF eventually adopted something similar to the British model and used dismounted pilots as tactical air controllers and air liaison officers (something that the USAF and USMC still do today).

Very cool!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

HEY GAL posted:

Meanwhile, in Magdeburg:

Edit: Is Magdeburg the one thing that people who've never heard of this war have heard of?

Edit 2: That poor soldier's wife though; her husband just punted one of the best chances their family had for a comfortable life for the next few months.

I always find it incredibly unnerving every time I am reminded that soldier's wives and children can be complicit in war crimes :stare:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phobophilia posted:

I always find it incredibly unnerving every time I am reminded that soldier's wives and children can be complicit in war crimes :stare:
The entire system is complicit, from the people who either can't find the money to pay these people or deliberately refuse to pay them on downwards. The 30 Years War is what happens when a way of raising troops and raising money that's really Renaissance when you think about it bumps up against its hard limit of effectiveness. Armies are bigger than they've ever been but people are still trying to wring Roman Months out of the goddamn Diet and poo poo.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Phobophilia posted:

Hey, you need to live somehow.

I am sad reading about them burning books stuff. Weren't there people who'd buy poo poo like that? It's not like you have a high chance of stealing medieval 50 Shades of Grey instead of a valuable manuscript.

drat mongols and their sack of Baghdad!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

Speaking of, why does the Mediterranean theatre tend to be not talked about as much as other theatres? Was it really not that important in the big picture?

The British victory at El Alamein was one of the first great victories of the Western Allies (and coincides neatly with the first great Soviet victory at Stalingrad and the first great Pacific victory at Guadalcanal), the Torch landings and the capture of Algiers, Morocco and Tunisia let the Americans pick up tons of sorely-needed battle experience (sometimes hard-won, see Kasserine) and the subsequent invasion of Sicily and Italy put pressure on the German war machine that they really couldn't afford (most notably, SS Panzer divisions were pulled out of a critical moment in the Battle of Kursk to reinforce Italy)

It just sort of petered out by the time the Allies get to Northern Italy because the terrain there is so defensible, but the Mediterranean campaign was plenty important. Learnings from the Italian landings were pivotal in planning for the Normandy invasion.

I'd recommend Rick Atkinson's Liberation Trilogy if you want to know more - An Army at Dawn starts off with the planning for Operation Torch and ends with the fall of Tunis.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Red Army had a 'manpower crisis' in 1945 in the sense that it couldn't just lose a couple of million men in a mass encirclement and have them replaced 6 months later like in 1941/2. It was still using more men in the assault of Berlin than Germany had committed to the whole of Barbarossa.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of which, was there anything that could have been done better during the assault on Berlin? I kept getting the impression from what I've read of it that there are historians that think Zhukov was too ... blunt? with how he conducted it.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Speaking of which, was there anything that could have been done better during the assault on Berlin? I kept getting the impression from what I've read of it that there are historians that think Zhukov was too ... blunt? with how he conducted it.
Well, the main thing to do would have been not to have the whole "Zhukov-Konev race to capture the Reichstag" thing.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

(most notably, SS Panzer divisions were pulled out of a critical moment in the Battle of Kursk to reinforce Italy)
Meh, quite a few of the withdrawals were due to Soviet offensives in other areas. Liebenstandardte was used in the Mius line counterattack before being moved to Italy (on August 3rd) and the 1st SS Panzer Grenadier was moved back to the east by November of 1943. Everything else in the II SS Panzer Corps remained under Manstein IIRC. Other reserves were shifted to reinforce the Orel salient (Grossdeutchland and other units).

So these forces might have managed a better fighting withdrawal and there was a chance of cutting off the Second Tank Corps and Second Guards Tank Corps in the Gostishchevo-Liski pocket and thus delaying future counterattacks, but any chance of victory at Kursk was probably lost once Hitler shifted the timetable so far forward. (also all the ULTRA intelligence on German plans was probably far more helpful than the landings in Italy).

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wasn't there around 250,000 Soviet casualties? Sure sounds like a hell of a lot given how shattered Germany was by this stage.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AceRimmer posted:

Meh, quite a few of the withdrawals were due to Soviet offensives in other areas. Liebenstandardte was used in the Mius line counterattack before being moved to Italy (on August 3rd) and the 1st SS Panzer Grenadier was moved back to the east by November of 1943. Everything else in the II SS Panzer Corps remained under Manstein IIRC. Other reserves were shifted to reinforce the Orel salient (Grossdeutchland and other units).

So these forces might have managed a better fighting withdrawal and there was a chance of cutting off the Second Tank Corps and Second Guards Tank Corps in the Gostishchevo-Liski pocket and thus delaying future counterattacks, but any chance of victory at Kursk was probably lost once Hitler shifted the timetable so far forward. (also all the ULTRA intelligence on German plans was probably far more helpful than the landings in Italy).

You know, you're right. I even read a whole book about the Mius offensive and I still forgot about that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

AgentJotun posted:

Wasn't there around 250,000 Soviet casualties? Sure sounds like a hell of a lot given how shattered Germany was by this stage.

You have to take casualties if you want to take a city the size of Berlin in a week.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alchenar posted:

The Red Army had a 'manpower crisis' in 1945 in the sense that it couldn't just lose a couple of million men in a mass encirclement and have them replaced 6 months later like in 1941/2. It was still using more men in the assault of Berlin than Germany had committed to the whole of Barbarossa.

You don't make machine gun artillery battalions unless you're trying to find men to hold rifles for the armies actually on the offensive. Russia wasn't "out" of men, but no one ran "out" of men in ww2, it was more they were feeling the squeeze from how they fought in 1941-42 and had to economize. Another war in 1946 or whatever might be a bit much for an army in that situation.

The US did choose not to use as much manpower as it could have, though, and the Army's infantry felt the squeeze from that policy, too, as there were a lot of complaints about getting the worst replacements possible compared to the Navy and AAF.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Arguably the Germans ran out of men, didn't they?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Pushing grandfathers and kids into service is quite the definition of running out of men.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Yeah, still short-changing the Eastern Front. But can you blame me, when there's this excellent story to tell about a silly-rear end subaltern who gets completely confused when confronted by boiled beef? The paper is a goldmine of patent medicine adverts today. Kutnow's Powder takes out a full-page job! And apparently there are even supplements for little children now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

gradenko_2000 posted:

Surround it, pound it with artillery and bomb the gently caress out of it, wait for the inevitable mass surrenders, then send in the infantry.

edit: it wasn't getting done for much less than about 100k casualties either way you slice it, since the First Belorussian Front took about 20k clearing Seelowe Heights alone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 24, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAL posted:

Meanwhile, in Magdeburg:

Edit: Is Magdeburg the one thing that people who've never heard of this war have heard of?

Edit 2: That poor soldier's wife though; her husband just punted one of the best chances their family had for a comfortable life for the next few months.

I remember that story about Tilly awkwardly trying to feed a baby he'd rescued from its dead mother while trying to rally his troops.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
For another bomber becoming a writer, Howard Zinn was a bombardier. He eventually wrote an interesting essay about participating in the bombing of Royan, which was a strategically insignificant city on the Atlantic coast of France still held by Germans in January '45. It was totally isolated but the Army Air Corps completely annihilated it, including with an early use of napalm bombs. 2700 French civilians died in two raids, as against IIRC 25 Germans or something like that.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

EvanSchenck posted:

For another bomber becoming a writer, Howard Zinn was a bombardier. He eventually wrote an interesting essay about participating in the bombing of Royan, which was a strategically insignificant city on the Atlantic coast of France still held by Germans in January '45. It was totally isolated but the Army Air Corps completely annihilated it, including with an early use of napalm bombs. 2700 French civilians died in two raids, as against IIRC 25 Germans or something like that.

Good memory. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it.

quote:

Destruction of Royan

During World War II, two German fortresses defended the Gironde Estuary: Gironde Mündung Nord (north, at Royan) and Gironde Mündung Süd (south, at La Pointe de Grave). These constituted one of the Atlantic "pockets" which the Germans held on to grimly, well after the liberation of the rest of France. In the early hours of January 5, 1945, a force of about 350 RAF heavy bombers, at the request of SHAEF[1] which had been told that nobody was left in Royan but Germans and collaborators, bombed Royan out of existence in two raids. The blame for this raid is usually attributed to Free French General de Larminat.[2]

The Allied operation against the German forces on Île d'Oléron and at the mouth of the Gironde River, began with a general naval bombardment at on April 15, 1945, some 10 months after D-Day. For five days, the American naval task force assisted the French ground forces with naval bombardment and aerial reconnaissance in the assault on Royan and the Pointe de Grave area at the mouth of the Gironde. American B-17 Flying Fortress and B-24 Liberator aircraft carried out aerial bombing missions, including extensive and pioneering use of napalm, finishing the destruction of January 5.

The first bombing raids killed over 1000 Civilians and only 23 German soldiers. When the Americans returned later and used napalm, they destroyed the entire city and killed another 1,700 civilians.[3]

Blandford writes, "There was a Free French commander with the U.S. Seventh Army outside Royan, who was not informed until too late. The message was in French and the American signalman could not understand it. It took four hours to get it translated".

Howard Zinn, author of A People's History of the United States, was one of the many bombardiers who attacked Royan during World War II. He later wrote of the bombardment.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Surround it, pound it with artillery and bomb the gently caress out of it, wait for the inevitable mass surrenders, then send in the infantry.

edit: it wasn't getting done for much less than about 100k casualties either way you slice it, since the First Belorussian Front took about 20k clearing Seelowe Heights alone.

Was it the Seelowe heights where Zhukov had a whole bunch of spotlights brought in to illuminate the far side and ended up silhouetting the first wave of troops?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Was it the Seelowe heights where Zhukov had a whole bunch of spotlights brought in to illuminate the far side and ended up silhouetting the first wave of troops?

Yeah, that was not a great idea. But even without the spotlights, the heights were a nasty piece of terrain that were defended by the highest-quality and best-equipped German formations in prepared defenses in depth. The spotlights didn't help, but it was going to be a bloodbath no matter what. Zukhov's guys were helped by the presence of a bridgehead across the Oder, but their axis of assault was easily identified.

Konev had a relatively easier time of the crossing due to terrain and defenders, but the First Ukranians were also a little more intelligent about their assault plan - heavy on assault boats, smoke generation and a creeping barrage with multiple points under attack at the same time.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I know next to nothing about Seelow heights :(

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Heinrici, the German commander at Seelow Heights had some later quote saying that as long as the odds were 18:1 against him, he could hold a position but 24:1 was pushing it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't really think much can be done differently about Berlin. You just have to remember that taking Berlin is about ending the war.

Yeah, sure, the Soviets could have tried to encircle the city and starve/bombard out an unevacuated city of a few million to spare maybe a couple hundred thousand casualties, prolonging potentially for months a fight that was costing them an average of 20k casualties per day, all while the political picture of post-war Europe was in flux... Or they could just end this thing ASAP.

In the giant bloodbath of the Eastern Front, individual battles in end are but small teacups.

Edit: The Soviets actually attacked the Seelowe Heights with a force advantage of 9:1 and brushed through his defence in 3 days. Heinrici is rather exaggerating.

EDIT2: Also his entire defending force got encircled and destroyed afterwards and thus was unable to participate in the Battle of Berlin. Of course if you listen to his admirers this was all according to plan so as to spare Berlin urban combat. :rolleyes:

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 24, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

I remember that story about Tilly awkwardly trying to feed a baby he'd rescued from its dead mother while trying to rally his troops.
The man's a 70-year-old professional soldier who'd been in service since he was 14 and he never married. Poor fellow had no idea how to hold kids.

Edit: 72, he was born in 1559. And he only lost two battles in his entire career.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 24, 2015

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Fangz posted:

Edit: The Soviets actually attacked the Seelowe Heights with a force advantage of 9:1 and brushed through his defence in 3 days. Heinrici is rather exaggerating.

Wouldn't be a German general if he wouldn't.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Have some Soviet operational research regarding the use of spotlights

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kemper Boyd posted:

Wouldn't be a German general if he wouldn't.

Perhaps he fell victim to the propensity to fight the last war :v:

Speaking of, is there any writing on how German WWI veterans (in field command) reacted to the RKKA pushing the Wehrmacht back across Europe in WWII? Was it as much a shock to them as I think it would be?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

To really get your mind around the Battle for Berlin you really need to be thinking of the political stakes involved and what everyone's priorities were for the post-war period. Planning for the post-war period in general was really sketchy and all in all badly done, and a lot of major decisions weren't really made until Potsdam. One thing that everyone was freaked out about, however, was the potential for a post-war resistance in occupied Germany. The general thinking was that the longer the Germans are confronted with the stone cold reality of a lost war but a frontline quasi-stable enough to do some planning behind the greater the possibility that they start to plan for the occupation themselves - e.g. creating hidden arms caches, detaching members of the military to set up post-war guerrilla units, or even standing down entire formations with the thought of reconstituting them later.

Imagine the havoc that could have been wrought by even a single battalion of die-hard SS nutjobs operating out of prepared hideaways in the forests and hills of bumfuck nowhere Bavaria well supplied from arms caches hidden in the last months of a protracted end-phase of the conflict. Basically the Battle for Castle Itter writ large.

Imagine how much worse that gets if someone convinces Hitler to GTFO of Berlin and he's sending out tape-recorded messages from prepared hideaways a la Osama.

A lot of the reason that everyone went so balls to the wall full speed ahead once the German frontier was breached in both the E. and W was that we very specifically didn't want that stuff happening. A good part of the Soviet logic behind shutting down Berlin ASAP was to try and kill or capture as much senior leadership as they could then and there. The US Army also exerted a lot of energy tracking down senior Nazis in the areas we occupied. This is also the reason that everyone went so crazy confiscating every civilian firearm we could find in Germany after the war, securing military arms depots, and in general disarming the German population as thoroughly as possible.

tl;dr - we wanted the occupation we got, more or less, not a Central European 1940s version of Iraq 2003-2013.

Watch this if you really want some of that fine 1940s flavor. THe whole thing is good, but the really great bit starts around 6:00 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=821R0lGUL6A

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rokosovsky also crossed the order further north without too much of a hassle, but his operational circumstances were quite a bit different then Zhukovs.

Sometimes a sledgehammer (Zhukov) is what you need, Rokosovsky was more of a dagger ("Dolch", which is a largish dagger, was his actual nickname as far as the Germans were concerned) in comparison. Konev was imho better at Maskirovka then Zhukov (Konev arguably learned it from covering up his own fuckups, successfully applying Maskirovka to Stalin makes for some pretty drat intense training. IIRC the only guy who survived getting sacked by Stalin twice.), but even more of an rear end in a top hat personally.
Zhukov was good at getting the resources he needed, and at making a usually quite good plan and then sticking with it (this is a lot more difficult in practice then it sounds).

But as a general statement, I got a bit of a bias in favor of Rokosovsky (that is one hell of a rollercoaster live), and read a bit too much Konev/Zhukov propaganda.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Cyrano4747 posted:

Basically the Battle for Castle Itter writ large.

Is there a movie made about this, and if not, why is there not? This is almost perfect Hollywood stuff!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fangz posted:

I don't really think much can be done differently about Berlin. You just have to remember that taking Berlin is about ending the war.

Yeah, sure, the Soviets could have tried to encircle the city and starve/bombard out an unevacuated city of a few million to spare maybe a couple hundred thousand casualties, prolonging potentially for months a fight that was costing them an average of 20k casualties per day, all while the political picture of post-war Europe was in flux... Or they could just end this thing ASAP.

In the giant bloodbath of the Eastern Front, individual battles in end are but small teacups.

EDIT2: Also his entire defending force got encircled and destroyed afterwards and thus was unable to participate in the Battle of Berlin. Of course if you listen to his admirers this was all according to plan so as to spare Berlin urban combat. :rolleyes:

I don't think Heinrici did a particularly good job either - pushed all of his eggs in to the Seelowe basket, and thus made it tougher for von Manteuffel to defend against Rokossovsky, which made defending Seelowe irrelevant in the long term. However, with the forces at his disposal, there wasn't exactly a favorable outcome that could be achieved.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ensign Expendable posted:

Maybe selling discarded weapons was how the townsfolk got their stuff back. Speaking of, was there a market for second hand weapons, and who would loot the battlefield?
Yo, I just learned that there were healthy markets for second-hand weapons.

The effects of this could be expected. From the English Civil War:

quote:

Soldiers lost their arms when wounded, threw them down as they surrendered or fled leaving them to be retrieved by pursuers, and sometimes sold them as they ran: after a skirmish in 1642 royalist foot 'fled and offered their armes in the townes adjacent for twelve pence a piece.'
Seriously, someone should have seen that coming.
(Barbara Donagan, War in England 1642-1649)

Also see "'The Magazine of All Their Pillaging:' Armies as Sites of Second-Hand Exchanges during the French Wars of Religion," Brian Sandberg. (The title is three different puns: in 17th century French, magasin means a military supply depot, an accumulation of goods, or a place to sell merchandise.)

Edit: Lol, he says there's evidence hotel keepers sold small arms during this period.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 25, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GAL posted:

Yo, I just learned that there were healthy markets for second-hand weapons.

The effects of this could be expected. From the English Civil War:

Seriously, someone should have seen that coming.
(Barbara Donagan, War in England 1642-1649)

Also see "'The Magazine of All Their Pillaging:' Armies as Sites of Second-Hand Exchanges during the French Wars of Religion," Brian Sandberg. (The title is three different puns: in 17th century French, magasin means a military supply depot, an accumulation of goods, or a place to sell merchandise.)

Edit: Lol, he says there's evidence hotel keepers sold small arms during this period.

So real life in the medieval period and renaissance was literally a D&D game or Skyrim?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

So real life in the medieval period and renaissance was literally a D&D game or Skyrim?

And everything I talk about is from the early modern period, not medieval/renaissance. It's like modern, but...earlier

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 25, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The weather's cleared up at the Dardanelles, and the fleet has a good day, effectively silencing the outer forts. Enver Pasha needs a scapegoat for his humiliation at the Battle of Sarikamis, but fortunately there's a convenient ethnic and religious minority practically on his doorstep. And industrial relations in Britain aren't going so well as the cost of living continues to rise.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

The Empire Strikes Back (against the wrong people, in the millions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
This seems like an appropriate point at which to ask:

Yes, the Armenian Genocide was, IMHO, a genocide. No real question there, I think. But what I'm wondering is: Was it an intentional genocide, or was it a genocide the Ottomans somehow...I dunno...blundered into? Did they go in intending to wipe out the Armenians (a la Germany and the Jews 20-30 years later), or did they just...do what they did and the effect was to commit genocide in any case? (It feels weird to describe a genocide as accidental, but stranger things have happened...)

• Locked thread