Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

My eyes have trouble processing 3D these days. I get pounding headaches after about 30 minutes. Which suuuuucks.

That sucks. I love 3D movies. T2 is being rereleased right around my birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Open Marriage Night posted:

I love 3D movies.

This is the worst fakepost you've ever done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Question IRL posted:

And secondly that the second upgraded Spider suit is Spock's Superior Spider suit.

No it wasn't.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Spoiler: responsibility is a big theme in a Spider-Man movie, and some people can't handle that.

I'm just poking fun. I had to explain some of the movie to the friend I saw it with; sometimes details just fly right by you.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Rhyno posted:

No it wasn't.

Yeah but we can't trust you because of your stating things as facts when no one agrees with you and your overall fight me irl attitude.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Speaking as someone annoyed with Ryno right now, he's right. That isn't Otto's suit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm not super knowledgeable about Spidey, but that's almost certainly the Iron Spider suit, right?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's based on it conceptually, but no, not exactly. It's got too much black on it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's a new design for the film. No doubt inspired by a few existing looks but not any one of them in particular.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
spider-man: it's good

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

SonicRulez posted:

It's their fault. Even the characters saw it that way.
Yeah. That's what's annoying me here.

Tony has killed people too, y'know. Like, if we wanna compare direct and indirect body counts between Stark and Toomes, I'm pretty sure Stark still holds defending champion title and the contest isn't close.

Stark did Toomes a great injustice in this film. Just like he did to Wanda and Pietro, and to Zemo, and to who knows how many others in these films, and still just carries on being his rich pompous self with no consequences at all. How many more villains is he going to create before it's enough? Are all of those also "not Tony's fault"?

And as for Peter and Tony...Peter is fifteen. Tony is fifty. Which one of them acting like a child should be less defensible, here?

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 9, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You keep going off on that but Stark doesn't run Damage Control.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

He literally does, weirdo.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

It's a joint effort.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah but we can't trust you because of your stating things as facts when no one agrees with you and your overall fight me irl attitude.

Here's a fact.

Your face smells like butts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Damage Control is a joint Stark thing, presumably because they need Stark tech to do their job.

In the MCU Damage Control already existed as part of SHIELD and was bought out/taken over by Stark and the US government.

In any case Tony doesn't personally run it, that's Tyne Daly's character's job. Telling Toomes to get hosed is extremely out of character for MCU Tony, even around Avengers 1 in the timeline.

They've already done the flimsy blaming Stark because his name is on it storyline with the Not Maximoffs, they did a good job not doing it in this. Toomes doesn't personally blame Stark, he has a whole big guys/little guys in general outlook.

"It's all Stark's fault" is extremely not the direction they took the movie.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 9, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ojjeorago posted:

This is the worst fakepost you've ever done.

I never fake post. Both Guardians movies had good 3D, and I'm sitting at the theater waiting for my 3D showing of Spider-Man. I'll let you know how it is.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
literally just woke up from a nap realizing that they made the Vulture a scavenger

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

In any case Tony doesn't personally run it, that's Tyne Daly's character's job.
She tells Toomes to take it up with her superiors. Tony Stark is her superior. He literally co-owns the company. The other owners (in this case, the government) cannot make unilateral decisions because that requires a majority agreement, and in this case where only two entities own the company, that means they cannot make any decisions without Stark's approval.

If this company that Stark owns is going around pulling poo poo like this, then it is Stark's fault whether he knows about it or not. That's what owning a company means. If his hands are tied because the other owners are superseding him somehow, then the operating agreement that specifies ownership rights between him and the U.S. government was poo poo in the first place, which means Stark was an idiot to ever sign it and then fund this business, and has learned nothing since the very first Iron Man film when Stane was selling his weapons to terrorists.

There is no scenario here that doesn't paint Stark as dangerously reckless and neglectful, just like always, even as the film tries to paint him up as this wise and wise-cracking cool mentor figure because everyone loves RDJ's charming lil' quips.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah. That's what's annoying me here.

Tony has killed people too, y'know. Like, if we wanna compare direct and indirect body counts between Stark and Toomes, I'm pretty sure Stark still holds defending champion title and the contest isn't close.

Stark did Toomes a great injustice in this film. Just like he did to Wanda and Pietro, and to Zemo, and to who knows how many others in these films, and still just carries on being his rich pompous self with no consequences at all. How many more villains is he going to create before it's enough? Are all of those also "not Tony's fault"?

And as for Peter and Tony...Peter is fifteen. Tony is fifty. Which one of them acting like a child should be less defensible, here?

I think you have some kind of bent against the character from rip. It's not about body count. Toomes is a criminal. Stark isn't. At least not within the confines of his universe. That's the difference between them, I should think that's obvious. Also yes, those are all also not Tony's fault. Hence Wanda and Pietro coming to forgive him. Or at least Wanda.

P E R S O N A L R E S P O N S I B I L I T Y

That's the big lesson that you seem to have missed. Tony got mind blasted by the scepter in Age of Ultron. Never once does he use that as his excuse for his mistakes. He still did them. Vulture got a raw deal, everyone gets that, but that doesn't justify his actions. Everything he does is still on him. He's a grown adult human. If the market crashed and you lost your house, you do not then go and rob your neighbor. That's a personal failure. Children blame everyone for their actions.

That's Peter's realization. That's how he's able to make the significant decision at the end to pursue Vulture instead of just dancing with Liz. He understands that being handed a raw deal is not good enough to excuse crime. That's why he turns down being an Avenger (partially). He wants to do right for the sake of doing the right thing, not for the fame and wealth and poo poo. That's integrity and responsibility and I'm so sad that I took the time to explain that to another presumably adult person.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Sure, I have a bent against the character due to multiple films' worth of him loving things up and taking no responsibility for it. You're right about that.

What the heck is "within the confines of his universe" supposed to mean? Are you seriously saying Toomes is a criminal because the law says so, but Stark isn't one despite the exponentially-numerous amount of damage that he's done in comparison? The difference between them is that Stark manages to get away with what he does by technicality and legalities, but Toomes doesn't? Yikes.

And people keep going on about how other fictional characters have forgiven Stark like that's supposed to make me like him more, instead of it just making me think the writers consistently let him get away with things he shouldn't.

I don't know what your little tangent about Peter is supposed to say, either. I love how Peter acts in this film. I have no problems with it. The hell does that have to do with Stark? Like, just because Peter learns responsibility means what Stark did was A-OK? Stark can just do whatever he wants to people like Toomes, but he's still completely non-responsible for how Toomes reacts to this injustice because Toomes is also an adult?

Like if I go and destroy someone's livelihood for my own profit and he turns to crime in order to support himself, his employees, and his family, I did absolutely nothing wrong and should lose no sleep over it or make any attempts to correct the situation, no matter how much power and resources I have at my disposal? Yikes.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 9, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You're assuming that he formed the Department of Damage Control for his own profit; which is still, by the way, is a government organization he's just involved with. And again, private contractors who hire people like Brice off the street having access to this stuff is a monumentally bad idea. Tony has been working to stop the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction since the MCU started. That's what he was helping to do here.

The people who should have compensated Toomes for his loss of work are also not Tony Stark. The City of New York, as the original contractor, is legally liable for that, as I understand it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I would love to watch a trial where "Actually I'm having financial issues" makes a judge go "Oh, never really considered that. You're good, have a nice day." Vulture encountered problems. He decided to solve those problems with crime. In the middle of the movie he decides to solve bumps in his road by threatening or accidentally committing murder. Tony Stark is not the one at fault for either of those decisions. Your circumstances may not be in your control, but your reaction to your circumstances certainly is. I'm not saying it's ridiculous to relate a bit to the villain, but you're absolving him of his crimes. Sorta like you think everyone else in the fictional world does for Iron Man.

Idk what to say mate, I'm at a point where I feel like a BvS defender and think you just don't get it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Walter White was just a man trying to provide for his family

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I would love to watch a trial where "Actually I'm having financial issues" makes a judge go "Oh, never really considered that. You're good, have a nice day." Vulture encountered problems. He decided to solve those problems with crime. In the middle of the movie he decides to solve bumps in his road by threatening or accidentally committing murder. Tony Stark is not the one at fault for either of those decisions. Your circumstances may not be in your control, but your reaction to your circumstances certainly is. I'm not saying it's ridiculous to relate a bit to the villain, but you're absolving him of his crimes. Sorta like you think everyone else in the fictional world does for Iron Man.

Idk what to say mate, I'm at a point where I feel like a BvS defender and think you just don't get it.
Toomes doesn't get away with anything! He's the villain of the story, Peter beats him sort of beats him, a little bit, and then sends him to jail where he's now serving time for his crimes. I don't have to have any problems with how Toomes acts here because the characters and the story agree that it's bad and delivers proper punishment for it. It's not like I'm advocating for Vulture to be released back on the streets to peddle more weapons.

W H A T D O E S T H A T H A V E T O D O W I T H T O N Y ?

Toomes can be literal scum of the Earth (he's not) and that still doesn't make Stark come across any better here or any less negligent of his own responsibility to people like Peter and Toomes, of all the damage that's he's personally done and that he allows to be done in his name. If Vulture belongs in jail, then where does Tony -- who's ruined countless people's lives -- belong? The only reason I brought up body counts is that I guess you thought I was saying that "Tony Stark being a condescending adult" is seriously the worst thing that Stark does even in this film alone.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Blockhouse posted:

Walter White was just a man trying to provide for his family

50% of the audience unironically believed this through the final couple of episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Tony Stark is a pretty cool guy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Will Spider-Man 2 be subtitled Sadie Hawkins or Harvest Dance? Clearly the 3rd will be called Graduation.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

Tony Stark used to invent military weapons to sell to the highest bidder. Then he built weapons for himself and law-exempt US government military spy agencies. Then he spent a chunk of Iron Man 2 threatening his friends and a party full of people and being shitfaced and reckless. Then he gave up Iron Man Stuff for a second at the end of 3 to make Pepper happy but actually that was a lie cause he wanted to threaten and beat up his friends again in Civil War because he felt guilty about how he invented Ultron and that killed a bunch of people which means everyone but him needs reigning in.

The difference here is that Tony is a beloved billionaire and Toombs was a working class schlub, so there's no time to give him a redemption arc where he learns to be a Good Capitalist instead of a Bad Capitalist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay, I may have been too harsh about Zendaya. Maybe she just had so little screen time that there was nothing to really establish much of a character. Everything I said about Ned stands though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

twistedmentat posted:

Will Spider-Man 2 be subtitled Sadie Hawkins or Harvest Dance? Clearly the 3rd will be called Graduation.

To appeal to millennials it'll be Graduation, Late Registration, and then Aunt May and Nathan Lubensky will be disappointed with Peter in College Dropout.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Blockhouse posted:

literally just woke up from a nap realizing that they made the Vulture a scavenger

And like his comic origin, he turned to crime after someone tanked his business.

Edit: dang, originally meant to make these the same post.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Everything I said about Ned stands though.

As a testament to how much you hate fun side characters, sure

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Toomes is NOT a working class shlub. He wasn't one even before he got arms dealer money. He's lower upper class.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

As a testament to how much you hate fun side characters, sure

I'd require him to be fun in order to qualify. It's like they tried to embody every horrible teenage stereotype into one role. And the succeeded!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess the hat really wasn't working.

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

Just got back from seeing Spider-Man Homecoming: Absolutely larb'ed it!!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TFRazorsaw posted:

I guess the hat really wasn't working.

:golfclap:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

3D was unobtrusive, and gave good depth. Whst a fun movie. Only way I could enjoy it more would be if I were a teenager again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

twistedmentat posted:

Spiderman: Prom

Rhyno posted:

Okay, I may have been too harsh about Zendaya. Maybe she just had so little screen time that there was nothing to really establish much of a character. Everything I said about Ned stands though.

Good to know. I'll jot that down in my Ryhno Opinions of Movies notebook.

• Locked thread