Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

caps on caps on caps posted:

Man I watched Voyager
Then I watched Enterprise S3 and S4

wow, Enterprise is actually good. There's very little things which are not good, and very many things that are very good. The Xindi arc was good except the timetravel which is always terrible. But then it gets to the whole Vulcan/Andorian war with Romulans and poo poo. There's continuity, character stuff and things are generally interesting. I like so many things

I mean lookit dat Phlox guy blowing up his face when he gets attacked hooooollly poo poo

why did I never watch this? Who killed it? Why did Voyager get seven seasons and Enterprise got only 4?

gently caress y'all why you said Enterprise is bad? There is far worse Star Trek in Voy and early TNG and even some DS9 than pretty much everything from Season 4 in Enterprise????

Every time I've caught an episode, it bored the poo poo out of me. But it's the last ST I have to watch so I started forcing myself through it a couple days ago. I'm only 11 episodes in, but I'm really enjoying it so far. There are just enough continuity episodes to make give it substance, and the filler episodes are pretty good.

I really enjoyed "Silent Enemy", and I was glad that the writers had the discipline never to expose the motives of the jerk aliens. I'm kind of hoping that they come back before the end of the run, and Enterprise fucks them up hard, but I'm also happy with them just being a random one-time encounter instead of following them around until we find out they have unimatrices and maturation chambers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Borg Queen is such a stupid concept because you can tell the movie writer went "they're a collective >Hive> QUEEN! :pseudo:". Nevermind asking why the Queen of the Borg would go back in time herself for stopping one race on the other side of the galaxy when just the act of it would cripple the entire collective with her absence. I like First Contact, but it is a very glaring question.

The real threat of the 'proper' Borg was their general collective consciousness. At any time, even a single drone left alone will assimilate and expand to create an entire planet of infected Drones without needing a Queen to instruct it. It'll just analyze the most logical set of tasks to complete and execute.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I saw First Contact in the theater and it scared the poo poo out of me. Fun times.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Neelix just straight up killed a guy and was all like "WELP this will be good for my own TV program!"

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Borg Queen is such a stupid concept because you can tell the movie writer went "they're a collective >Hive> QUEEN! :pseudo:". Nevermind asking why the Queen of the Borg would go back in time herself for stopping one race on the other side of the galaxy when just the act of it would cripple the entire collective with her absence. I like First Contact, but it is a very glaring question.

The real threat of the 'proper' Borg was their general collective consciousness. At any time, even a single drone left alone will assimilate and expand to create an entire planet of infected Drones without needing a Queen to instruct it. It'll just analyze the most logical set of tasks to complete and execute.

I used to think of the Borg as a bunch of individuals from different races forced into constantly thinking the thoughts of trillions of people at once, and the only thought that was common enough among trillions of minds and thousands of species is: propagate and expand. If you were in that hive for long enough you eventually take on that personality even if you are separated from the hivemind. They were pretty scary then.

Of course that was before late TNG and Voyager teamed up to DP the Borg into perpetual humiliation.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh hey it's the episode where Harry Kim gets sucked into space and dies but is replaced by a guy from another dimension or whatever and NOBODY CARES even B'Elana who saw him get sucked into space and that's probably pretty traumatic??

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
It's sad to consider that everyone in the Department of Temporal Investigations / temporal agents / temporal ship crews have both the most exciting and crazy jobs and also the most rules and paperwork ever.

They're like time accountants. And perpetually annoyed.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

why wasn't there ever a Mirror Universe episode of Voyager

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
They should just make a new series set in the post-TNG/DS9 universe with a CGI Data as captain.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

FuturePastNow posted:

Voyager stood on it's own merits, it didn't need to ride on previous shows' coat tails

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

FuturePastNow posted:

mirror-universe Voyager used the Caretaker array to go home.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

There were

:catstare:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

I mean, yeah, Living Witness was pretty much a mirror universe episode, but it wasn't.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Scudworth posted:

It's sad to consider that everyone in the Department of Temporal Investigations / temporal agents / temporal ship crews have both the most exciting and crazy jobs and also the most rules and paperwork ever.

They're like time accountants. And perpetually annoyed.

Probably a ton of amazing stories they're not allowed to talk about either.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Volcott posted:

I mean, yeah, Living Witness was pretty much a mirror universe episode, but it wasn't.

I was totally joking. I don't know poo poo about Voyager.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

...and the pitch! posted:

I was totally joking. I don't know poo poo about Voyager.

Janeway starts a race war.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Volcott posted:

Janeway starts a race war.

Orange is the new Black is Janeways secret holodeck program.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Battlestar Galactica?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was watching a Voyager episode and it struck me that Neelix was 'Morale Officer'.

Does he outrank Miles?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was watching a Voyager episode and it struck me that Neelix was 'Morale Officer'.

Does he outrank Miles?

Even you outrank O'brien.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

If o'brien sees a loose collar pip dropped on the floor of a jeffries tube he has to salute it as he crawls past.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Didn't Voyager bullshit its way out of this by having multiple copies/clones of the Queen?

revolther
May 27, 2008
The borg were pretty hilari-bad even in TNG episodes, the fact that movies pointed out, "Oh we can just smash these guys faces in?!?" made them being the uber enemy just laughable.

A phalanx of klingons holding cadavers as shields could wipe them out. Theoretically the borg would just bombard those species from orbit, but then no assimilation of flesh or more importantly technology/information. So basically, they were a really lovely enemy with no logic behind their existence that writers just held onto way too long.

At least the founder war it seemed like folks had written themselves into a corner before deux ex machina, space fleet wins.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I quite like the not-canon canon that suggests V'ger was part of the Borg at its more earlier stage of life.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WMain00 posted:

I quite like the not-canon canon that suggests V'ger was part of the Borg at its more earlier stage of life.

V'ger was the first borg queen. all the drones gathered around and hosed it until it developed sentience.

A time-traveling Janeway was lurking in the corner, watching the whole thing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i'm amazed they didnt just make the borg queen also be janeway

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
The future-person communicating with the TaliSuliban was Archer Janeway.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

WMain00 posted:

The Borg can't be defeated by the power of love

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

worf: assimilate this (ejaculates)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Human Crouton posted:

I used to think of the Borg as a bunch of individuals from different races forced into constantly thinking the thoughts of trillions of people at once, and the only thought that was common enough among trillions of minds and thousands of species is: propagate and expand. If you were in that hive for long enough you eventually take on that personality even if you are separated from the hivemind. They were pretty scary then.

Of course that was before late TNG and Voyager teamed up to DP the Borg into perpetual humiliation.

I think the more "accurate" version of the Borg suggested by assimilation should be they all look relatively identical. Beep-boop, we have assimilated a race with eyes that can see 20% further with perfect clarity. Screening for optimum strand of the relevant genes through all several-billion members of their race and rewriting genetic code in all existing Drones to upgrade them.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The Borg can't be defeated by the power of love

The thing that really, really made me hate Nero was when someone linked a page of the supplemental comic or some poo poo. He went and upgraded his ship with borg tech, and the borg tried to assimilate him, but they couldn't... assimilate his ~*~HATE~*~. Direct quote.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

lol of course nero got his kewl missiles from the loving borg

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

But can the Borg assimilate the Beastie Boys?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Blockade posted:

But can the Borg assimilate the Beastie Boys?

Why would they want to???

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Party page 400 is just around the corner everyone!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think the more "accurate" version of the Borg suggested by assimilation should be they all look relatively identical. Beep-boop, we have assimilated a race with eyes that can see 20% further with perfect clarity. Screening for optimum strand of the relevant genes through all several-billion members of their race and rewriting genetic code in all existing Drones to upgrade them.

But you see, they've also assimilated bean counters and middle managers. So the collective now possesses incredibly efficient ROI calculations, which indicate that it's not worth the expense to upgrade the eyesight of a drone whose duties consist of shuffling back and forth through a foggy hallway on a cube and occasionally pointing his hand's twiddly bits at some wall greebles.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That would make more narrative sense if they were coldly and logically eliminating drones incapable for whatever reason of attaining the new standards of perfection they were always achieving.

Instead of literally trillions of drones of every random person they come across in millions of ships, all completely unstoppable powerhouses nobody can hope to even see and survive except voyager you might have something that sounds more realistic in size, doesn't control most of the galaxy, is more rare to run across and is actually plausible as an unstoppable threat due to constant evolution instead of a bunch of pasty trash heaps that can adapt instantly to any technobabble but are easily tricked by starfleet captains.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 25, 2017

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

counterfeitsaint posted:

The thing that really, really made me hate Nero was when someone linked a page of the supplemental comic or some poo poo. He went and upgraded his ship with borg tech, and the borg tried to assimilate him, but they couldn't... assimilate his ~*~HATE~*~. Direct quote.

By this logic, O'brien can't be assimilated due to his constant depression.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

in the new star trek it will be explained that the borg are actually the reason for ww2, complete with flashbacks of hitler visiting werner von braun while drones lurk in the background tinkering with v2 rockets. therefore they are also responsible for the space race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

happyhippy posted:

By this logic, O'brien can't be assimilated due to his constant depression.

After assimilating O'Brian the borg retreat back into their own territory and spend the majority of their resources on simulations of 18th-20th century trains.