Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

anti-magic posted:

SKT vs ROX was an amazing series and I am really disappointed that wasn't the actual final.

If you rate on a mix of quality of play, entertainment and importance, it may be the best Bo5 ever played, honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
edit: dumb

stump collector fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 24, 2016

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
It's definitely up there with the likes of SKT vs KTB.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

The Mash posted:

If you rate on a mix of quality of play, entertainment and importance, it may be the best Bo5 ever played, honestly

Yeah, very, very high. Like SC said, maybe SKT - KTB was better, but it's awful close. What an incredible series.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

SSG is playing better than ROX, and while they're not as good individually i think they could actually beat SKT. they've got to win the first game though, i think

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

SKT versus ROX was indeed an awesome series between what may be the two best teams in the world. However, I think it's understandable to want a result that couldn't be seen in normal play during the season, albeit as a Bo2. International tourneys own because we get to see matches between teams that otherwise would never play each other.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

rabidsquid posted:

SSG is playing better than ROX, and while they're not as good individually i think they could actually beat SKT. they've got to win the first game though, i think

I completely agree. I think SSG looks really good right now and I think it's probably a five game series.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Shadow225 posted:

SKT versus ROX was indeed an awesome series between what may be the two best teams in the world. However, I think it's understandable to want a result that couldn't be seen in normal play during the season, albeit as a Bo2. International tourneys own because we get to see matches between teams that otherwise would never play each other.

That's a real catch-22 for international pro League though, as you'll only get matches between two teams that would otherwise never play each other if one of them isn't Korean, at which point quality of play inevitably suffers

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It's not going to happen but I hope Riot takes a hard look at the Worlds format at some point. While it involves playing more games, the way that the International handles group stages and brackets is vastly more interesting/entertaining.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i think its also pretty unfortunate that riot wants to hold the event in 4 different locations in one month which gives a lot of importance to support staff strength. also i get really annoyed with watching a month long tournament

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

stump collector posted:

i think its also pretty unfortunate that riot wants to hold the event in 4 different locations in one month which gives a lot of importance to support staff strength. also i get really annoyed with watching a month long tournament

What's wrong with the length of the tournament? It's basically the same format as regular splits, games every thursday-sunday until the whole thing is sorted.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

stump collector posted:

i think its also pretty unfortunate that riot wants to hold the event in 4 different locations in one month which gives a lot of importance to support staff strength.
im ok with this

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

stump collector posted:

I don't mind the length of the tournament.

I also think Riot has taken a step in the right direction with the crowd funded prize pool and team emotes.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
anyone in favor of a literal month long tournament is kinda :riot: but thats my opinion. The International had a near perfect format, just long enough for me to not feel overwhelmed with games, not long enough for me to end up not giving a poo poo by the time groups are over. Also having it occur in several different locations rather than one location for groups, one nearby location for main stage so the teams don't have to go to a million different places by the time its all over and so the tournament is easier on the players is also a pretty :riot: move

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Firebert posted:

It's not going to happen but I hope Riot takes a hard look at the Worlds format at some point. While it involves playing more games, the way that the International handles group stages and brackets is vastly more interesting/entertaining.

I was super bored so here's my extrapolation of Worlds 2016 if it were The International 2016 DOTA 2 Format.

Here's the pools with which DOTA 2 team was in which pool, a regional approximation to match League (which was awkward because TI invites 6 teams regardless of region, I tried to match those in a somewhat power-pair fashion), the matched team, and extrapolating their win/loss record in a 14-game stretch on the basis of their performance with some subjective adjustment up or down to make things work out in balanced W/L numbers in the table:

The groups end up much cooler IMO and the group phase a lot more exciting games and the teams for each region are split in either 2/1 1/2 or 1/1 just like the DOTA 2 tournament. Mashing 2 big groups together prevents extreme disparity between the teams in 4 groups because both groups are big groups of death.

The result of that group phase seeds the teams like this and this is (my extrapolation) of the likely outcome of the tournament:

I tried to project teams win/loss on the basis of either how they actually performed versus the team in question, how they performed against other similar teams from regions, similar teams in power, or absent that, how they fared when they last met each other in the regional tournaments (i.e. NA v NA, KR v KR, CN v CN).

There's a few funny things about this hypothetical upper bracket:
1) The top 8 bracket is way more interesting
2) ROX would (based on performance) have sent SKT down to the loser bracket in a best of 3 (2-1 ROX) but then eventually lose to them in the Grand Finals (3-2 SKT) on the basis of their recent series. Which would have been a much cooler and interesting way to have the Korean Trio face off.

There's a few funny things about this hypothetical lower bracket:
1) TSM probably would have gone a lot further in this tournament if all they had to do was go through INTZ and C9 to get Top 8 -- also the TSM/ANX match was a toss-up for me and I could see either of them winning that and having gone on one more round to lose to SKT
2) The second round of the loser's bracket would have had some really awesome matches that I would have loved to watch
3) I don't know if H2K could go through EDG twice, but based on this extrapolation they meet EDG twice in this tournament and beat them both in the exact same fashion as they did in the Group Stage, you can swap some of their results around to try and think about how it would have played out any other way. It would probably be more fun if EDG beat them in the first match, H2K got to play against CLG and RNG and win, and then come from behind and upset EDG in the loser's bracket. Because then we would have gotten to see Forgiven against CLG, Uzi/Mata, and the redemption round.
4) Bracket assumes SKT sweeps SSG to make the final on the basis of their 2-0 series sweep of SSG in the Korean Summer Split 2016 -- could change depending on the outcome of the actual finals.

Overall this format would have been loving awesome and blown the doors off of the actual tournament we got to watch.

Libertine fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 24, 2016

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
That tournament sounds loving awesome but I think compressing it all into one weekend is waaaaay too overwhelming both for viewers and teams.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

the big thing that makes me think you don't want a double-elim ti-style format for worlds, and for major league tournaments in general (i know iems kinda do it), is that because of the way league works with how picks interact with one each (at the most general level, call it soft counters rather than hard counters i guess) and how drafts and play tend to evolve over a series, the bo5 format is a lot more interesting and integral to how teams match up against one another in league than in dota. there's been plenty of cases throughout seasons 2, 3, 4 in league where bo3 yielded completely unsatisfying serieses, and while yes you'd possibly get another chance in double-elim (not usually true in said old serieses) i feel like the nature of innovation in league kinda forces you into bo5s, idk.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Chris de Sperg posted:

the big thing that makes me think you don't want a double-elim ti-style format for worlds, and for major league tournaments in general (i know iems kinda do it), is that because of the way league works with how picks interact with one each (at the most general level, call it soft counters rather than hard counters i guess) and how drafts and play tend to evolve over a series, the bo5 format is a lot more interesting and integral to how teams match up against one another in league than in dota. there's been plenty of cases throughout seasons 2, 3, 4 in league where bo3 yielded completely unsatisfying serieses, and while yes you'd possibly get another chance in double-elim (not usually true in said old serieses) i feel like the nature of innovation in league kinda forces you into bo5s, idk.

I think in regards to this specific bracket bo5's should probably start at the very least at the winners and losers semifinals (maybe even start them at third round lb, maaaaaaaybe second round lb but that might be a little heavy on games). I think you're definitely right in terms of bo5 vs bo3 but with the way this group stage played out at TI is you got all of the absolutely garbage poo poo teams that had no chance of getting anywhere even with a cheese lineup. Then you have the second round bo3's where it relies on your initial draft and knowledge of both the other team's playstyle as well as your own knowledge of the meta, and then you can move into bo5's for the rest of the tourney where teams have sort of "earned" the right to a bo5 by either playing two bo3's or surviving a bo1 and a bo3.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Sexpansion posted:

That tournament sounds loving awesome but I think compressing it all into one weekend is waaaaay too overwhelming both for viewers and teams.

TI 2016, Group Stage was 3 days, and Bracket Stage was 5 days.

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
How long do I get to spam my TSM emote during this hypothetical double elimination tournament?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

YancyQ posted:

How long do I get to spam my TSM emote during this hypothetical double elimination tournament?

All the way till the end regardless of who is playing.

I think some of the teams really missed an opportunity to set their emote spam to TSM even if they weren't TSM just to troll the crowd.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Chris de Sperg posted:

Really? I find League drafts to be boring as poo poo, with most games seeing the same 7-8 every game, with only a few variations. ROX/SKT was cool because you had support MF out of nowhere. Otherwise it would have likely been Zyra vs. Karma for 5 games.

Libertine posted:

TI 2016, Group Stage was 3 days, and Bracket Stage was 5 days.

Also note the group stage was played from a hotel conference room, with 4 games (and 4 streams) at a time.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Libertine posted:

I think some of the teams really missed an opportunity to set their emote spam to TSM even if they weren't TSM just to troll the crowd.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a rule against that

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Luna Was Here posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a rule against that

It's tournament realm, I imagine there's not a rule against it so much as they just lock each team's icons to be their team icon and they can't change them.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

do the team icon recalls go away after worlds? i need to decide which of the icons to spend my dumb jewels on and if i cant recall spam i am just gonna upgrade the dumb worlds one since i think the team icons look like poo poo with the gold background

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Taciturn Tactician posted:

It's tournament realm, I imagine there's not a rule against it so much as they just lock each team's icons to be their team icon and they can't change them.

No they can definitely change them, in the poo poo TSM says videos TSM puts out they joke about switching icons to have extra team synergy

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I think someone mentioned last year that there was a rule against it but dunno about this year.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I've always wondered, is allchat enabled for pro games? If someone gets totally outplayed can they go "fck u hax" to the person who killed them?

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
On the topic of TSM I'm excited about Samsung 3-0'ing SKT and in the process proving TSM the second best team in the world.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Schiavona posted:

I've always wondered, is allchat enabled for pro games? If someone gets totally outplayed can they go "fck u hax" to the person who killed them?

it is but it's not used much iirc. also in the past m5/gambit were fined for flaming people in lcs or iem or something over the team chat, haha

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

it's what led to them releasing that apology video that looked like a hostage reading a list of demands

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC18DJNGX1s

we demand that the western imperialists relinquish their stockpiles of doran's blades. comrade genja has need for them

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

henkman posted:

it's what led to them releasing that apology video that looked like a hostage reading a list of demands
rumble has 0 deaths this is clearly fake

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

I forgot how ugly the champion portraits used to be :psypop:

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Oh man I forgot the apology video that looked like they were in a loving underground dungeon and guns pointed at them from behind the camera

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

“I’ve heard a lot that FORG1VEN is a very strong laner but in my opinion it turned out to be not as true,” BUNG says. “It was a bit easier for me than I thought.”

YEA BUNG GET EM

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
They were cowardly and banned his caitlyn

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

CoreJJ: "I remember FORG1VEN saying that we should play the game in a 2-v-2, but I think we played against a 2-v-3 and it wasn’t that tough."

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i thought h2ks bot played p sick esp considering they had bad matchups every game. ryu tho....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Ryu + giving SSG really good drafts is what caused them to lose, bot lane had nothing to do with it (^:

• Locked thread