Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who live in small towns that have much more localized interests than more populated areas are no less americans than the rest of us. In fact, I'd prefer that kind of lifestyle where community actually matters instead of the big cities where everyone is cutting each other's throat to climb the ladder. It'd at least be less stressful, even if it wasn't nearly as lucrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that has little to do with living in a city and also small towns aren't really like that either. if anything, small towns are even more prone to brigading and secular thinking. i watched a small business fail in my home town just because two soccer moms got into an argument at a board of ed meeting and one of them decided to tell everyone to boycott the other's store.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

that has little to do with living in a city and also small towns aren't really like that either. if anything, small towns are even more prone to brigading and secular thinking. i watched a small business fail in my home town just because two soccer moms got into an argument at a board of ed meeting and one of them decided to tell everyone to boycott the other's store.

I never said it was a utopia, there is obviously still competition, but i'd take the petty politics of trying to run a business in a 1000 person town over trying to survive on wall street or similar.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ABBA is good, and so is the new Mamma Mia movie

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People who live in small towns that have much more localized interests than more populated areas are no less americans than the rest of us. In fact, I'd prefer that kind of lifestyle where community actually matters instead of the big cities where everyone is cutting each other's throat to climb the ladder. It'd at least be less stressful, even if it wasn't nearly as lucrative.

Is it really an unpopular opinion when the media has been pushing this trope since forever? Although to be fair I guess their spin is that people who live in small towns are more American than people who live in big cities.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is this what happens when your only knowledge of 'things' comes from movies? you can just get a job not on 'wall street'

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

is this what happens when your only knowledge of 'things' comes from movies? you can just get a job not on 'wall street'

I said "or similar" for a reason. There are plenty of other cities where the top jobs are similar in nature. NYC/wallstreet is just what they all model themselves after.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i guess i'm just not understanding why the options are 'wall street in new york' or 'own a small business in a small town'. you could also, you know, own a small business in nyc, for example. the person who is working on wall street wouldn't own a deli in a small town, they'd commute to a nearby metro area and do finance there.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The distinction I'm trying to draw is one where a community actually supports each other (albeit with some petty politics involved) vs the big city mindset where everyone's out for themselves and the city is more of a battleground than a community.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The distinction I'm trying to draw is one where a community actually supports each other (albeit with some petty politics involved) vs the big city mindset where everyone's out for themselves and the city is more of a battleground than a community.

lots of communities in big cities do support each other but they are erased by stereotyping and ignorance

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think you can find aspects of both mindsets in both settings, and that the stereotypes aren’t necessarily true.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Parochialism is so human that you if you don't think it's happening to you and where you live, it's super happening to you and where you live.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Crossfit and fancy drunk brunches are pretty popular in big cities. Are those communities? I guess they replace Sunday church.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the best reason of why small towns are better than big towns is that you have less of a chance of hearing "on fleek" or "drat daniel"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I live in a city and haven't heard those in years.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You'll stop hearing them when you've graduated from high school

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I live in a very rural place and I hear those things all the time. Then again, I have two teenagers. :(

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

You seem to be thinking of this in the term of jobs, income, etc. That is not the best thing about cities. You ever wanna just randomly go somewhere in a small town? You can't, because the only place to go is that same lovely bar you got into fights with the regulars already. You wanna look for new and exciting assess to eat? Well, better hope someone from the big city moves there or something. I could keep going but the point has been made.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

You seem to be thinking of this in the term of jobs, income, etc. That is not the best thing about cities. You ever wanna just randomly go somewhere in a small town? You can't, because the only place to go is that same lovely bar you got into fights with the regulars already. You wanna look for new and exciting assess to eat? Well, better hope someone from the big city moves there or something. I could keep going but the point has been made.

I guess I'm just boring because I was happiest in a one bar town. You know what you're going to get, you know who's going to be there. If you wanted to have some rear end variety you could just drive 45 minutes to the city.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I have about 10 bars within a half mile radius. I've lived both and city living is best.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
big city vs. small town living are neither better or worse than each other, they're just different. Find a living situation that fits your lifestyle, values, and current stage in life.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Higgy posted:

big city vs. small town living are neither better or worse than each other, they're just different. Find a living situation that fits your lifestyle, values, and current stage in life.

gently caress this middle of the road bullshit!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The way I live is the best way to live, until I change the way I live, and then that way will become the best way to live.

Note that even if you live the exact same way I am living, my way is better.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

gently caress this middle of the road bullshit!

counter-point: don't gently caress the thing

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

I guess I'm just boring because I was happiest in a one bar town. You know what you're going to get, you know who's going to be there. If you wanted to have some rear end variety you could just drive 45 minutes to the city.

45mins from the city is not isolated, that's why you think it's fine

try living an hour from the next small shithole, 2+ from the next medium shithole then come back to talk about how great it is

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

the best reason of why small towns are better than big towns is that you have less of a chance of hearing "drat daniel"

Why on earth wouldn't you want to discuss "some of the most important queer performance art of our time"

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pastry of the Year posted:

Why on earth wouldn't you want to discuss "some of the most important queer performance art of our time"

you mean a kid yelling "back at it again with the white vans" at his friend

loving classic, take it to broadway boys

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1023730153854128128

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The torture scene in Zero Dark Thirty was really tame and I don't understand the hubbub over it. Watch literally any episode of 24 and you'll see Jack Bauer commit way bigger war crimes. The people bitching about ZDT have to be the most sheltered people ever.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I used to think I was rural because it takes 20 minutes to get a McDonalds

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

The torture scene in Zero Dark Thirty was really tame and I don't understand the hubbub over it. Watch literally any episode of 24 and you'll see Jack Bauer commit way bigger war crimes. The people bitching about ZDT have to be the most sheltered people ever.

Most people who had problems with Zero Dark Thirty presenting torture as tougher on the torturer than the victim but in the end worth it because it directly led to the capture of Osama weren't crazy about 24 either, dude.

People weren't unhappy with ZDT because it showed torture, but because it showed torture as a heroic sacrifice made by our noble and respectably sexy CIA agents. ZDT presented a timeline where the tough CIA lady bravely withstood someone else being tortured, and then we found Osama. Which is bullshit

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CrRoMa posted:

I used to think I was rural because it takes 20 minutes to get a McDonalds

I have this and I live in Chicago.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Guy Goodbody posted:

Most people who had problems with Zero Dark Thirty presenting torture as tougher on the torturer than the victim but in the end worth it because it directly led to the capture of Osama weren't crazy about 24 either, dude.

People weren't unhappy with ZDT because it showed torture, but because it showed torture as a heroic sacrifice made by our noble and respectably sexy CIA agents. ZDT presented a timeline where the tough CIA lady bravely withstood someone else being tortured, and then we found Osama. Which is bullshit

In the movie they say the torture was pointless. The reaction I'm talking about is people saying the depiction of torture was horrific and made them throw up, etc.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Solice Kirsk posted:

I have this and I live in Chicago.

Haha laughed out loud at this for some reason.

The town i live in is kinda small (10k or so) and by any measure would be called rural. Its only since new employment forced me to travel into the city that I've really started to comprehend how little truth there is there. 20 minutes for a mcdonalds, 25 to go to the cinema and a 30 minute commute for work. Its just the scale of Scotland is a lot more managable than some parts of America.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I am less than ten minutes away from at least three McDonaldses

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I live in Chicago and can walk to McDonald’s but I really wish we had more (or any?) Arby’s.

But the most important part of big city life is that you are never far from a Popeye’s.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I wouldn't call where I live the big city, just ....Texas

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Unfortunately the specifics of American fast food chains are totally lost on me but when the small town I live in got a Subway a few years ago it was a pretty big deal.

Its a shame because id love to try all the American eateries that i see argued about on these forums, we did get a Five Guys butv the prices put me off somewhat.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CrRoMa posted:

Unfortunately the specifics of American fast food chains are totally lost on me but when the small town I live in got a Subway a few years ago it was a pretty big deal.

Its a shame because id love to try all the American eateries that i see argued about on these forums, we did get a Five Guys butv the prices put me off somewhat.

Five guys is expensive for sure, but it's usually worth it

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

Five guys is expensive for sure, but it's usually worth it

From a value perspective maybe (you really do get an incredible amount of fries) I guess, but I'll always pick a fuddruckers over them. It's more fun to say and I like the wedge fries and the buns better.

starkebn posted:

45mins from the city is not isolated, that's why you think it's fine

try living an hour from the next small shithole, 2+ from the next medium shithole then come back to talk about how great it is

A fair point In my specific example I was talking about Santa Fe NM as "the city", which I mean it is one but is probably a lot smaller than most peoples' conception of what "the city" means. Albuquerque would be the nearest "medium"ish city 2 hours away but there was almost no reason to go there over Santa Fe unless you were going to the airport. e: I guess a key distinction is whether you work in the small town or have to commute 2 hours+ for work. If it was that situation I would obviously not be so enthused on the smaller town unless I was forced to for financial reasons.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Jul 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

I live in Chicago and can walk to McDonald’s but I really wish we had more (or any?) Arby’s.

But the most important part of big city life is that you are never far from a Popeye’s.

Popeye's delivers on Grubhub for me now. I hear about how terrible the world is all the time, but I can have Popeye's delivered to me and I don't even have to stop watching old episodes of Wings or put on shoes.

To be honest I haven't ordered from them. Both Harold's and Gus' deliver to me as well and their both vastly superior fried chickens.