Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

FrozenVent posted:

What the gently caress is it with sea going dryers? I don’t think I’ve practiced anything so much in my life as putting out a fire in a loving laundry rooms.

I’ve seen fires in trash cans, various parts of engine rooms, unloading tunnels, cargo holds, but never a laundry room.

Sailors are loving slobs and can't follow written instructions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We had a fire in the 400hz converters in two different switching rooms at the same time - during a damage control drill - it took us a second to realise that the smoke smelled differently than the poo poo the smoke machines put out :haw:

That led to having to take a blood gas test, and for those who don't know, THEY HURT LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER.

gently caress The Navy :argh:

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

FrozenVent posted:

What the gently caress is it with sea going dryers? I don’t think I’ve practiced anything so much in my life as putting out a fire in a loving laundry rooms.

I’ve seen fires in trash cans, various parts of engine rooms, unloading tunnels, cargo holds, but never a laundry room.

Every dryer "fire" I've ever responded to was an overreaction to the smell of some synthetic fabric getting too hot and melty, but you have to overreact to smells like that on a ship for the 1% chance that it becomes an actual problem.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
It's really easy to drill especially on a merchant ship where your fire teams may never have seen the engine room or even know where it is (we had a chief cook who didn't even seem to be aware that there was anything further down there outside the control room, which disturbed him greatly to finally see when he stepped outside looking for the first).

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Flyinglemur posted:

Yes. And yes, I am learning a lot as I go. For instance, as I designed it on the program, I didn't make instructions. So the dome/VL section was just a poo poo ton of black bricks. So I turned all of them white on the program and then as I built, changed each brick I used to black to keep track of what I did and where I was. I'm not happy with the dome, but gently caress me that was hard to design. I must have tried a dozen or so different methods and just went with what I have here. Hopefully the rest of the model will take your eyes off of the dome.

They do, for sure. I ordered all the parts for the minifigs for the forward section this week. THAT is where they get you. But I am making it to minifig scale, so there is room for them in the three levels. I'm seriously considering making the laundry area with the dryer on fire. For accuracy

Seriously I’ll volunteer some yellow tone sad/happy faces towards this effort. I’m currently going though my collection for sale and it’s pretty immense. Most was purchased during 2008-2018. A lot of city minifigs.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Crab Dad posted:

Seriously I’ll volunteer some yellow tone sad/happy faces towards this effort. I’m currently going though my collection for sale and it’s pretty immense. Most was purchased during 2008-2018. A lot of city minifigs.

Pm sent

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
why would a chief gently caress with you and be upset you wanted to be the DAPA?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

maffew buildings posted:

why would a chief gently caress with you and be upset you wanted to be the DAPA?

What I didn't know is that a week before I checked on board another first class checked on board that was supposed to be in the same division and immediately told the senior chief that he wanted to go work in QA. I guess that guy had some friends in high places because he got yanked out to go work in QA immediately. So then I show up and say that I've had experience being command DAPA at sub school and my plan after I left the tender was to go be a drug and alcohol counselor at a SARP facility, and it was just bad timing for me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Flyinglemur posted:

What I didn't know is that a week before I checked on board another first class checked on board that was supposed to be in the same division and immediately told the senior chief that he wanted to go work in QA. I guess that guy had some friends in high places because he got yanked out to go work in QA immediately. So then I show up and say that I've had experience being command DAPA at sub school and my plan after I left the tender was to go be a drug and alcohol counselor at a SARP facility, and it was just bad timing for me.

Ggggrrrr I loving hate it when sailors try to take on more work than the bare minimum.

Am I understanding this right?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

FrozenVent posted:

my second cob burned his clothes in the dryer. he walked around with a few slightly burned poopie suits during that underway.

of course it was all blamed on the cooks not cleaning the lint filter after the last use of it. nevermind the fact that per written instructions on the dryer you're supposed to check that and the temp settings before using it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The dryers are also lovely sheet metal pieces of poo poo with a huge rack of exposed 440V heaters.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Ggggrrrr I loving hate it when sailors try to take on more work than the bare minimum.

Am I understanding this right?

I would imagine Command Dapa for a sub tender (nominal crew of 1300 before conversion) would be a full time duty as opposed to a collateral duty, so their Chief may be down a sailor. I don't know how billeting is effected when you lose a sailor to a command level duty, but the Chief would probably been down 1 more person for some time. I mean, the Chief's behavior was poo poo, and he should not have been upset.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would imagine Command Dapa for a sub tender (nominal crew of 1300 before conversion) would be a full time duty as opposed to a collateral duty, so their Chief may be down a sailor. I don't know how billeting is effected when you lose a sailor to a command level duty, but the Chief would probably been down 1 more person for some time. I mean, the Chief's behavior was poo poo, and he should not have been upset.

This was it exactly. It was a full-time gig so he was already down one sailor from the week before and now I was also trying to get out of his division. There was some time elapsed between when I showed up and said I wanted to be DAPA and when I got the counseling for a painting the Chief's office that I was directed to paint.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I never realized there were so many people on a sub tender but also I barely understand what they are except a place civmars get sent sometimes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

slurm posted:

I never realized there were so many people on a sub tender but also I barely understand what they are except a place civmars get sent sometimes.

They tend to subs needs. Basically Dommy Mommy.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

slurm posted:

There are not that many people on them anymore. The nominal crew of 1300 or so was for when they were doing actual repairs and work and whatnot. With the MSC conversion the ships company/engineering component shrunk considerably. The repair division also shrunk considerably as now it is sometimes easier to just have parts shipped instead of fabricated. It was kind of wild walking through the repair bay area of the sub tenders. There was a ton of really specific, high end machine shop stuff. Tons and tons of awesome tools and machines. Most of them had a thick blue canvas bag/tarp placed over them and were never to be used again. Pretty much the sub tenders now just take RAM from subs and print off phenolic labels for them, or order parts and deliver them. Very little fabrication still occurs, at least when I was involved with AS-39 in, uh, I think 2009-2011.

They had a lot more utility in the cold war era where we had a more aggressive posture in the Atlantic area, and the sub tenders could keep the subs on station/deployment longer and support them without them needing to go to a continental home port. A lot of this had to do with storage of RAM, the storage of which is something host countries of our bases tend to dislike having. There used to be a bunch of them, but now we are down to just 2. The AS-39 was in Sardinia area for quite some time, but then went to get some refit work done before being homeported in Diego Garcia with most of the staffing done by rotational crews and most of the command being on short 1 year billets because it was an unaccompanied homeport. AS-39, as I just learned, home ported in Guam in 2015. The AS-40 is historically well known in the Navy because of their steam valve rupture that killed an entire engine room's worth of sailors. They have been homeported in Guam for quite some time, but never had to do rotational staffing because Guam is an accompanied tour. To my knowledge they may have done more fabrication related work. But at the end of the day, we pretty much just took RAM from subs and hooked them up with pure water. Occasionally one of the ships will toodle over to the PI or DGAR to pick up RAM or do something for a sub that doesn't want to go too far off mission. But they are mostly just useless hunks of junk that waste a Nukes shore duty billet.

Edit to add: When I left the AS-39 the total complinent, CIVMARS included, was about 450. The AS-39 is the only place I have ever seen the radioactive material washing machines, and that was a hell of trip. They, like most equipment in the radcon space, were retired in place and no longer used. But really cool to see a washer and dryer set for contaminated anti-c gear.

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 4, 2023

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
That's kind of cool but also seems like they're 90% of the way to a really useful capability for modern war and just... stopped doing it in the most expensive way possible and replaced it with a brittle and unreliable centralized contracted system.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Crew was around 12 or 1300 when I was there 04-07. All military.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

M_Gargantua posted:

The dryers are also lovely sheet metal pieces of poo poo with a huge rack of exposed 440V heaters.

When we got women officers on 774, their socks kept slipping through the gap between the drum and the housing and landing directly on said rack of heaters.

Flyinglemur posted:

Yes. And yes, I am learning a lot as I go. For instance, as I designed it on the program, I didn't make instructions. So the dome/VL section was just a poo poo ton of black bricks. So I turned all of them white on the program and then as I built, changed each brick I used to black to keep track of what I did and where I was. I'm not happy with the dome, but gently caress me that was hard to design. I must have tried a dozen or so different methods and just went with what I have here. Hopefully the rest of the model will take your eyes off of the dome.

They do, for sure. I ordered all the parts for the minifigs for the forward section this week. THAT is where they get you. But I am making it to minifig scale, so there is room for them in the three levels. I'm seriously considering making the laundry area with the dryer on fire. For accuracy

That model is awesome, do the hatches work? And do you yell "COMMENCE BATTLE READINESS TESTING!" and then open and shut them?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The AS-40 is historically well known in the Navy because of their steam valve rupture that killed an entire engine room's worth of sailors.

This has been kinda weirdly memory holed, I only know about it because one of my Chiefs was part of the rescue efforts. He was extremely focused on quality, especially when it came to steam systems. You'd think we'd learn about it alongside the Iwo Jima's steam explosion in A-school, but no for some reason.

If you didn't know, the Navy is purchasing two new sub tenders to replace the Cable and Land.

My favorite Sub Tender fiasco was when they pulled them into the yards to scrap them, shredded every procedure and system drawing for the two ships, then went "oh poo poo, we still need those!" And returned 'em to service.

Their galley has really good food, when we moored alongside in Guam, working on getting shorepower on, my EDMC came running down the gang plank called us losers for eating on the boat, told us the AS-39s galley had "vegetables and poo poo" then pulled like 10 ice cream bars out of his pockets and started throwing them at people.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
You're supposed to clean the secondary lint filter from dryers every 8 loads or roughly twice to three times a day, which I don't think is tracked by the maintenance system, but I did see in a safety note once.

No, I don't actually know how to do that.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Elviscat posted:

When we got women officers on 774, their socks kept slipping through the gap between the drum and the housing and landing directly on said rack of heaters.

That model is awesome, do the hatches work? And do you yell "COMMENCE BATTLE READINESS TESTING!" and then open and shut them?

This has been kinda weirdly memory holed, I only know about it because one of my Chiefs was part of the rescue efforts. He was extremely focused on quality, especially when it came to steam systems. You'd think we'd learn about it alongside the Iwo Jima's steam explosion in A-school, but no for some reason.

If you didn't know, the Navy is purchasing two new sub tenders to replace the Cable and Land.

My favorite Sub Tender fiasco was when they pulled them into the yards to scrap them, shredded every procedure and system drawing for the two ships, then went "oh poo poo, we still need those!" And returned 'em to service.

Their galley has really good food, when we moored alongside in Guam, working on getting shorepower on, my EDMC came running down the gang plank called us losers for eating on the boat, told us the AS-39s galley had "vegetables and poo poo" then pulled like 10 ice cream bars out of his pockets and started throwing them at people.

When I was in, from 2002-2012, they always brought up the Frank Cable steam valve rupture in pretty much every QA/QC training I did. I was on surface ships though, so maybe that was more of a surface ship story.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Is there a publicly available report on this?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

slurm posted:

Is there a publicly available report on this?

https://www.stripes.com/news/report-calls-for-review-of-uss-frank-cable-officers-actions-1.63926

I was wrong in my initial statement, it did not kill the entire engine room, just 2 people and injured 6 others. They used the wrong type of material when they fixed a valve, a material that deforms easily at high temperature, and when they brought the steam system online it ruptured and caused a steam leak. This led to a renewed Navy-wide effort to enhance QA/QC, especially in the nuclear field.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Flyinglemur posted:

The other day I threatened to cross post a thing I'm working on from the Lego thread so here it is, for your consideration. I started doing car kits last year and found that it really helps out my mental health. There is a free program you can download to design your own poo poo, then you upload the parts to a linked website that has vendors buying and selling parts, so you can order the parts and actually build poo poo. So I decided to give it a go. Started with something small....

The parts for the first step

Some progress

finished:

you gotta click it for the gif to work

The plan is to have cutouts throughout the model, with lighting. The VL tube is hard to see there because the light isn't on, but it is definitely there.

This week I got most of the parts for the next step:

With both sections I have learned that I'm underengineering parts of it, so I have to order more parts and wait for them to get here. Not pictured are the two other Mk48s and the Tomahawk canister.

The sections will be connected better than this, but I put them next to each other just to see.

My wife is really impressed (she is easily impressed) and said "wow, that's big. There's only one more section, right?"

lol

This owns so loving hard.

E: I got the Discovery and Saturn V Lego kits during the lockdown and that was a VERY prudent use of my time.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 4, 2023

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Tenders make a ton of sense from the perspective of creating the capability to pull a nuclear ship in to any friendly port in the world to do substantive repair/resupply/rearm work, and also from the perspective of distributing the capability to do those things across a much broader geographic area. Instead we got rid of the tenders and centralized all those capabilities, which saves a bunch of money and ensures that all of the experts that know how to repair submarines are working together in the same handful of shore-based facilities. It's the sort of thing that you do when none of the decisionmakers or budget writers really believe we'll ever go to war again with anyone that has the capability to fight back.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Regarding Lego for such a large scale/rounded object I've been down a rabbit hole on the modern building techniques and some of the ways stuff is done are just wild, like the interior of the Saturn V, or this globe https://rebrickable.com/blog/459/review-21332-1-the-globe/.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Someone showed me the base of the long neck and how I could incorporate those bricks to make it more round at the top and bottom but I don't know if I can make it work for what I'm doing

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SquirrelyPSU posted:

This owns so loving hard.

E: I got the Discovery and Saturn V Lego kits during the lockdown and that was a VERY prudent use of my time.

The Shuttle is a more laborious build and the decals in the cargo bay suck to put on correctly.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

When I was in, from 2002-2012, they always brought up the Frank Cable steam valve rupture in pretty much every QA/QC training I did. I was on surface ships though, so maybe that was more of a surface ship story.

Not that it matters, but you're thinking of the Iwo Jima, the Cable was a material failure in the economizer (boiler preheater in the exhaust stack) Iwo Jima was where they replaced the heavy steel hex nuts with black oxide coated brass ones they found in a random drawer, that let a guard valve go at full pressure.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Not that it matters, but you're thinking of the Iwo Jima, the Cable was a material failure in the economizer (boiler preheater in the exhaust stack) Iwo Jima was where they replaced the heavy steel hex nuts with black oxide coated brass ones they found in a random drawer, that let a guard valve go at full pressure.

You are correct, I just checked, to verify as well. But my QA/QC Chief on the Bush had those two stories mixed, and definitely mixed them together in the training. I remember the (incorrect) training explicitly, because he tried to scare us by saying it was nukes that got killed because it was the engine room of a sub tender, which nukes crew. I only remember this because it seemed very incorrect, and thinking about it when I was on the sub tender.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Nukes only die to suicide.

Never enlist. And never ever be an enlisted nuke.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Is there a practical reason the nuke stuff is so legendarily miserable or is it just institutionalized hazing at this point?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

There are not that many people on them anymore. The nominal crew of 1300 or so was for when they were doing actual repairs and work and whatnot. With the MSC conversion the ships company/engineering component shrunk considerably. The repair division also shrunk considerably as now it is sometimes easier to just have parts shipped instead of fabricated. It was kind of wild walking through the repair bay area of the sub tenders. There was a ton of really specific, high end machine shop stuff. Tons and tons of awesome tools and machines. Most of them had a thick blue canvas bag/tarp placed over them and were never to be used again. Pretty much the sub tenders now just take RAM from subs and print off phenolic labels for them, or order parts and deliver them. Very little fabrication still occurs, at least when I was involved with AS-39 in, uh, I think 2009-2011.

They had a lot more utility in the cold war era where we had a more aggressive posture in the Atlantic area, and the sub tenders could keep the subs on station/deployment longer and support them without them needing to go to a continental home port. A lot of this had to do with storage of RAM, the storage of which is something host countries of our bases tend to dislike having. There used to be a bunch of them, but now we are down to just 2. The AS-39 was in Sardinia area for quite some time, but then went to get some refit work done before being homeported in Diego Garcia with most of the staffing done by rotational crews and most of the command being on short 1 year billets because it was an unaccompanied homeport. AS-39, as I just learned, home ported in Guam in 2015. The AS-40 is historically well known in the Navy because of their steam valve rupture that killed an entire engine room's worth of sailors. They have been homeported in Guam for quite some time, but never had to do rotational staffing because Guam is an accompanied tour. To my knowledge they may have done more fabrication related work. But at the end of the day, we pretty much just took RAM from subs and hooked them up with pure water. Occasionally one of the ships will toodle over to the PI or DGAR to pick up RAM or do something for a sub that doesn't want to go too far off mission. But they are mostly just useless hunks of junk that waste a Nukes shore duty billet.

Edit to add: When I left the AS-39 the total complinent, CIVMARS included, was about 450. The AS-39 is the only place I have ever seen the radioactive material washing machines, and that was a hell of trip. They, like most equipment in the radcon space, were retired in place and no longer used. But really cool to see a washer and dryer set for contaminated anti-c gear.

What does RAM mean in this context? Radar Absorbent Material like on a plane doesn't make much sense in context of submarines, unless I'm missing something.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Neither does rolling airframe missile lol

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

slurm posted:

Is there a practical reason the nuke stuff is so legendarily miserable or is it just institutionalized hazing at this point?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3283345

a short summary

yes 39 pages is short

ded fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 5, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

slurm posted:

Kinda, I'd have to effortpost on it to give it full, but here's some highlights:

-Rickover got Congress to buy off on highschoolers operating nuclear reactors all around the world with 0 non-Navy oversight by promising a world class training program, those requirements cannot be waved, so it's hard and expensive as gently caress to train new Nukes, and there's never enough. They're also resistant to changing the training model because of institutional inertia.

-There's never enough nukes, and our scope of responsibility is insane. There should be twice as many nukes on a submarine as there are just to operate and isolate systems for shipyard maintenance periods. We also receive basically 0 training on how to manage an overhaul.

-The shipyards suck complete and total rear end, they are wildly incompetent, and rely on SF nukes to stop them from loving literally everything up.

-The clearest and most obvious double standards exist for Nukes and non-nuclear rates, I've seen A-gang gently caress up hydros on subsafe systems, like doing them with no work procedures or QA of any kind, and get slapped on the wrist, then a nuke leaves a valve out of position and gets hosed on for months before their allowed to stand watch again, and threatened with NJP.

-Most nukes are kinda whiny by nature, there's far more privileged white people per capita, most of whom failed out of college due to lazy+drugs.

-Submarine and CVN life just loving sucks for everyone, the optempos are higher now then the height of the Cold War, and Nukes are the linchpin keeping these floating piles of rust and EB red going out to sea, our (nukes) life at sea isn't too bad, but when we come home we still have work to do, while insane amounts of pressure to fix whatever the gently caress broke this time is placed squarely on us.

-ORSE, the annual certification exam to allow the ship to keep operating its reactor, is loving stupid, and unnecessarily punitive if you do bad. You, as a junior enlisted sailor have absolutely 0 control over how you do, but bear the brunt of the consequences for failing (like everything else).

-Like Crab Dad's career vs. mine, YMMV, some dudes I know had a pretty chill time, good commands, and didn't mind it too much. Even I didn't hate my life for decent stretches of time, but it's no fun posting about all the times I'd have the whole division dip at 1100 on Friday and go have beers together and we all liked each other and did a good job all the time.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

bennyfactor posted:

What does RAM mean in this context? Radar Absorbent Material like on a plane doesn't make much sense in context of submarines, unless I'm missing something.

RadioActive Material

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

slurm posted:

Mid 60s white male engineer telling you he would like to increase diversity and hire more women and minorities but he has to maintain standards.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

Mid 60s white male engineer telling you he would like to increase diversity and hire more women and minorities but he has to maintain standards.

There are so many tangents this image sends my brain down but let's go with my classic gripe of "God the maritime academies are an old rich white boys club" as far as today's tangent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

The best fire story I had was in a Greek shipyard where some welders managed to set something on fire the other side of a bulkhead they were working on.

Manager got everyone on deck and started yelling and shouting about how we need to keep more watch on people doing this stuff, it's our responsibility yadda, yadda, yadda, when a dumpster full of wood and cardboard right behind him suddenly burst into flames.

Cue screaming and hard hats getting thrown.