Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Whaaaaaaaaat?

No no I mean, I REALLY don't understand why a smaller, less capable PSP with a smaller screen would cost more than a PSP 3000.

edit: they're both 16,800 yen in Japan.
I would argue it's more capable due to how drat portable it is. If I know I'll be alone on public transit for a while I just stash it in a random pocket and no one is the wiser. Boohoo no Lumines; I have hundreds of hours of other outstanding games to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

teethgrinder posted:

I would argue it's more capable due to how drat portable it is. If I know I'll be alone on public transit for a while I just stash it in a random pocket and no one is the wiser. Boohoo no Lumines; I have hundreds of hours of other outstanding games to play.
Yeah, I am seriously leaning towards the Go now. Looking through the Japanese PSP store, they have most of the older games that I wanted to try for relatively cheap.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

Policenaut posted:

\
I like it, but then again I only actually paid $130 or so on it because of gift cards so I can't really complain as much as someone who dropped $250 when the only loving pack-in was that lovely Rock Band Unplugged demo.

I actually did and was fine with doing that. My only problem was apparently in some groups that tagged me as some sort of heathen.

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see

SixOhSix posted:

I actually did and was fine with doing that. My only problem was apparently in some groups that tagged me as some sort of heathen.

I found people who did that the loudest were umd fanboys. Though 250 was steep and what caused most of the ruckus. Look at it this way, the umd train on psp2 is looking pretty grim and I am about 85 percent sure dd will work. Your whole library should work, umd I doubt will.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ganash posted:

I found people who did that the loudest were umd fanboys. Though 250 was steep and what caused most of the ruckus. Look at it this way, the umd train on psp2 is looking pretty grim and I am about 85 percent sure dd will work. Your whole library should work, umd I doubt will.
Yeah, that's a good reason to favor the Go too.

There's a few more things thing that I want to know that I dunno if anyone can tell me, how well does it handle having import and same-region games all loaded at the same time? Is it like the PS3 where it doesn't really care?

Also if you already have a PSN account, you just log in with that when you first take the PSP out of the box, right?

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
At the moment in the UK the Go seems to be abut £140 with a free 10 PSN games offer (which runs out end of Jan) and the 3000 is more like £170 with a couple of UMD games, so not really sure which would be seen as better value.

I think i prefer the form and size of the Go and if all the games were out on the PSN it would be awesome, it's a shame there's a discrepancy with what's available in US and EU, Crash Bandicoot 2 doesn't seem to be on the EU one for instance :(

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's a few more things thing that I want to know that I dunno if anyone can tell me, how well does it handle having import and same-region games all loaded at the same time? Is it like the PS3 where it doesn't really care?

Also if you already have a PSN account, you just log in with that when you first take the PSP out of the box, right?

Your PSN account will work right off the bat. There should not be trouble with regions on your downloads as long as content you download stays with the account tied to that region, but switching accounts is nowhere near as easy as it is with the PS3, though that is going to be with any PSP. You have to manually log out and log in to each account to play the games tied to that account, thus there isn't as big of a sharing scene on the PSP.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
No one ever seems to mention the one actual good feature they added to the Go. You can suspend a game to the hard drive at any moment and play another game, or just turn it off. You can resume the game at any time that you suspended, even after playing 50 other games in the meantime. It just copies the RAM to a file on the hard drive. You can only suspend one game at a time though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mug posted:

No one ever seems to mention the one actual good feature they added to the Go. You can suspend a game to the hard drive at any moment and play another game, or just turn it off. You can resume the game at any time that you suspended, even after playing 50 other games in the meantime. It just copies the RAM to a file on the hard drive. You can only suspend one game at a time though.

Holy poo poo, built-in save states? Why doesn't every console, portable or not, do this?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Holy poo poo, built-in save states? Why doesn't every console, portable or not, do this?

It's not as easy as a save state because it boots you out of the game when you do it. But it's good either way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm right on the edge here. The only thing that remains is speculation about whether the price for PSP Gos will drop soon.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I never play my Go, I think it's poo poo. It's got a 16gb hard drive and 16gb memory stick in it, but there's just NOTHING on the Australian PSN store worth buying.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm right on the edge here. The only thing that remains is speculation about whether the price for PSP Gos will drop soon.

I haven't seen any price leaks for it, I'd be safe to say if no one cuts the price at the end of January it'll probably still be that price for a while.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mug posted:

I never play my Go, I think it's poo poo. It's got a 16gb hard drive and 16gb memory stick in it, but there's just NOTHING on the Australian PSN store worth buying.
Isn't that more of a knock against Australia than the PSP?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mug posted:

Thankfully the Go was just hacked, so that pretty much completely opens it up.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Isn't that more of a knock against Australia than the PSP?

Yeah, well, against Sony and the publishers for just not giving a gently caress. Still, there's entire publishers who don't put games on the PSN in any region. I don't think SE have put a thinking sing up and they don't plan to.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Thankfully the Go was just hacked, so that pretty much completely opens it up.

I've never used CFW on any of my PSPs (I have all of them) but I've got 32gb sitting here just waiting to fill with Project Diva and DJ Max games as soon as it's possible

Mug fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 6, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You could always just make foreign PSN accounts, get some PSN cards for those regions, and buy Hatsune Miku or something for your PSP(s). Switching the active account on a PSP doesn't take long and if you have multiples you could even just dedicate a PSP just for a region if luxury abides.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Policenaut posted:

You could always just make foreign PSN accounts, get some PSN cards for those regions, and buy Hatsune Miku or something for your PSP(s). Switching the active account on a PSP doesn't take long and if you have multiples you could even just dedicate a PSP just for a region if luxury abides.

Eh, I've already got all the games I want on UMD. You can't buy any of the DJ Max games on the PSN, and I'm playing The 3rd Birthday at the moment and that will never hit the PSN based on SE's comments.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mug posted:

Eh, I've already got all the games I want on UMD. You can't buy any of the DJ Max games on the PSN, and I'm playing The 3rd Birthday at the moment and that will never hit the PSN based on SE's comments.

3rd Birthday's on Japan's PSN right now but I don't think SE's said anything about North America or Europe yet. DJ Max Portable 3 is also a PSN game in the States as well.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Policenaut posted:

3rd Birthday's on Japan's PSN right now but I don't think SE's said anything about North America or Europe yet. DJ Max Portable 3 is also a PSN game in the States as well.

Oh nice, I forgot Portable 3 was on the US PSN, but now that you say it, it seems stupid that I forgot. It was pretty much the main way to get it.

Portable 3 is loving awful, though.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Is it possible / how much of a pain in the nuts is it to play games on a PSP from a PSN account not your main? I'd like to share some of my games with other friends with PSPs (the PSN account by itself supports up to five PS3s *and* five PSPs) but I don't want to bother if it'll be a giant ballache for them.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think anyone really addressed this.

Technically you can have import and local-region games on the PSP at the same time, but you can only play the ones that you have the PSN account for logged-in. So basically you have to have access to wi-fi to change your PSN account if you want to change access to your "sets" of games.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
So can you run imported games on a PSP? My brother just found out about some new Robot Wars game coming out on it and he really wants a PSP but I need to know if I need anything special to get a Japanese game running?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

So can you run imported games on a PSP?

Yes. Only movies are region-locked on the PSP. (At least on the PSP-2000 i have access to)

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008

HenryEx posted:

Yes. Only movies are region-locked on the PSP. (At least on the PSP-2000 i have access to)

Awesome thanks for the answer!

I am thinking about getting one of the bundles.

I am liking the Metal Gear Peace walker one.

EDIT: Actually going off aesthetics alone I'd have to say the God of War one would be his favorite I'm sure. Red and black like Mazinger.

Jarofmoldymayo fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 7, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I honestly feel like you can't go wrong with a PSP. There's something for everyone, and most of the recommended games on the first page have at least 20-30 hours of gameplay (can't vouch for the God of Wars). There are a LOT of A-list titles. By my taste, more than the DS. I'm pretty Nintendo'd out after all these years though.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

teethgrinder posted:

By my taste, more than the DS.
I once ran stats to compare this via data from metacritic and the main differences are these:

There's much less shovelware. This makes it seem as if there are more quality titles. However numerically there are less of those too, since there are less titles overall.

Additionally there are more "western" and more "mature" titles, while the DS feels much more japanese and aimed at younger demographics.

In other words, you have a smaller choice and thus an easier choice, especially being an adult from a western industrial country.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Mug posted:

Portable 3 is loving awful, though.

I still have Fever loaded on one of my sticks and waiting to play. Is it as grindtastic as I've heard about Portable 3?

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

iastudent posted:

I still have Fever loaded on one of my sticks and waiting to play. Is it as grindtastic as I've heard about Portable 3?

It's a Korean game so there is HELLA leveling to unlock stuff, that said I haven't played 3 yet so I don't know if it's more or less. I do really enjoy Fever, and it's always amusing when I'm playing it in a public location, all the rapid tapping to rhythms draws a crowd.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Mithaldu posted:

I once ran stats to compare this via data from metacritic and the main differences are these:

There's much less shovelware. This makes it seem as if there are more quality titles. However numerically there are less of those too, since there are less titles overall.

Additionally there are more "western" and more "mature" titles, while the DS feels much more japanese and aimed at younger demographics.

In other words, you have a smaller choice and thus an easier choice, especially being an adult from a western industrial country.
I know what you mean but ... the appeal of the DS to me has mostly been Picross. I liked the New Super Mario Bros. The Castlevanias were good in my opinion but I never even bothered beating the third one. I just didn't care for all the sequels of age-old franchises I guess. Totally apathetic toward Zelda and the Metroid game.

I still need to check out 3D Picross at some point.

edit: looking at my collection, I just remembered, I loved Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword, even if the first run-through was on the easy side. I thought that was an amazing DS game graphically, for its programming cleverness, and fantastic controls.

edit2: on the PSP side, I've played the crap out of..

Wipeout Pure & Pulse
Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe
Killzone: Liberation
BlazBlue (great port, and helped me practice moves for the console version)
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (stupid amounts of time have been sunk into the remake and SOTN)
Gran Turismo PSP
Hot Shots Tennis
Field Commander (Advance Wars clone, but good enough)
LittleBigPlanet
Ultimate Ghosts & Goblins
Age of Zombies (stupid Mini but I keep going after my scores)
Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman! (even though I still don't 'get it')
Patapon 2
Suikoden & FF IX(PSX)
Jeanne D'Arc
Archer Maclean's Mercury (not a GREAT game, but compelling enough)
Lumines 1 & 2
The Warriors
Gradius Collection
Locoroco 1 & 2
...and probably a bunch of more games I don't remember as I traded in all my UMDs when I got the Go.

They should have made a 3D F-Zero game for DS.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 7, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

I know what you mean but ... the appeal of the DS to me has mostly been Picross. I liked the New Super Mario Bros. The Castlevanias were good in my opinion but I never even bothered beating the third one. I just didn't care for all the sequels of age-old franchises I guess. Totally apathetic toward Zelda and the Metroid game.

edit: looking at my collection, I just remembered, I loved Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword, even if the first run-through was on the easy side. I thought that was an amazing DS game graphically, for its programming tricks, and fantastic controls.

And I thought exactly the same thing about the PSP 6 months ago. Then I actually did some research, played some of the games, and changed my mind about it. There's a lot of franchises on the DS, true, but it also gets some great original stuff as well. Ghost Trick comes out next week and that game looks awesome. Then again I'm a consumer whore who eats up sequels to good games so I like stuff like Dragon Quest 9.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Look up for my ridiculous PSP game list.

The other thing is that I LOVE the digital distribution. Sony actually improved dramatically and started dropping prices everywhere. I can't be arsed to keep up with DS releases, and I'm not willing to pay full price. By the time the game is old enough for the price to drop, they're rare.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

edit: looking at my collection, I just remembered, I loved Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword, even if the first run-through was on the easy side. I thought that was an amazing DS game graphically, for its programming cleverness, and fantastic controls.

Sounds like you're only going for big brands, which does not necessarily imply being a good game. There are a lot of great DS games that are easily missed due to not triggering any brand recognition reflexes.

For me the main appeal of the PSP however is that it has a better coverage of NIS games (specifically, i want to play Phantom Brave when it comes out) and is more comfortable for playing while on the move because it's suspend modus doesn't drain the battery at all, while the DS drains it at roughly half the normal rate.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

SixOhSix posted:

It's a Korean game so there is HELLA leveling to unlock stuff, that said I haven't played 3 yet so I don't know if it's more or less. I do really enjoy Fever, and it's always amusing when I'm playing it in a public location, all the rapid tapping to rhythms draws a crowd.

I hate Fever compared to Black Square and Clazziquai. Portable 3 is WAY grindier than Fever. It's unbearable.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Mithaldu posted:

Sounds like you're only going for big brands, which does not necessarily imply being a good game. There are a lot of great DS games that are easily missed due to not triggering any brand recognition reflexes.

For me the main appeal of the PSP however is that it has a better coverage of NIS games (specifically, i want to play Phantom Brave when it comes out) and is more comfortable for playing while on the move because it's suspend modus doesn't drain the battery at all, while the DS drains it at roughly half the normal rate.
I'm an old lazy gamer heh. I already have way too much crap to play, I don't NEED to seek out more stuff. I mean the main reason I played so much drat PSP was that I spent over a year commuting 2-3 hours a day on transit. I just started a new job close by this week so my PSP will probably end up completely neglected in favour of my ridiculous Steam backlog.

You're right though, I'm tired of the big Nintendo brands ... but it's just easier for me to find stuff I still like from Sony rather than seek out awesome niche stuff on the DS.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

I find Test Drive Unlimited to be a bit underrated as far as PSP games go. Sure it looks like crap, and it's repetitive, but a thousand miles of roads and over 60 cars cannot be too bad, right?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Look up for my ridiculous PSP game list.
I think that's the main difference in perception. For you that list is big. For me it's positively tiny. Here's my DS backlog, meaning i played those games for 30 minutes at least and plan to spend more time with them in the future: http://pastie.org/1435743 That's almost 200 games and is ~5% of the DS catalog (5000+). The PSP has 800 games released in total.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

There are more games I'd be happy to play, i.e. God of Wars and probably the GTAs, those are just the ones I've spent significant time on and really like. I don't think I'm "done" a single one of them though.

I couldn't even imagine queuing 200 games on a single platform.

edit: there's also a question of affordability. There are so many better things I could spend money on than 200 DS games. I just live without a lot of games these days. All my PSP games were bought at a significant discount, with the exception of Wipeout Pure which was my first UMD.

I'm still waiting for the Wipeouts to drop a bit on PSN.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 7, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I ended up buying a Go, they are only $100 used. Now to download the six thousand PSP demos that are on the Japanese store, and buy a PSN yen card from one of the ebay places mentioned in the import game thread...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I ended up buying a Go, they are only $100 used. Now to download the six thousand PSP demos that are on the Japanese store, and buy a PSN yen card from one of the ebay places mentioned in the import game thread...

Welcome to the Go club brotha! :hfive: That thing continues to get more use than my PSP1000 did back in the day (and before it met a violent accidental death).

• Locked thread