Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

bubblegumbo0 posted:

In the future Japanese MMOs mechanics are still behind in concepts, except by decades literally this time, last hits determine the loot reciever? Well at least you can have funny griefing stories to tell with that kind of retarded mechanic.
The first virtual reality MMO will be designed by a ToadyOne-level :spergin: who spends all his development time on details like frying brains or how digital food tastes, and none of it on enjoyable or progressive game mechanics.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
You don't need to make your game fun when you have a captive audience. Literally!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Xythar posted:

You don't need to make your game fun when you have a captive audience. Literally!

They needed to make it fun for the beta testers, at least.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

The only thing missing from this series is SAO having been designed with a reality tv aspect.

Unwitting modern day gladiators and a horrified Japanese populace.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 16, 2012

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Jackard posted:

The only thing missing from this series is SAO having been designed with a reality tv aspect.

Unwitting modern day gladiators and a horrified Japanese populace.
To be honest I think that the premise of the series would have worked significantly better if it were designed in the vein of The Running Man; i.e. being set in a future dystopia where people fight to the death for the amusement of the general population. (It would avoid the issues how such a system was built without anyone in the company making it noticing it was a deathtrap and nobody managing to find a way to disable the helmets despite having months do so so, etc.)

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

Aureon posted:

If my source (4ch) is correct, bluehair guy noticed that potions do not work in the zone - That's supposedly in the LN.
Source isn't accurate as i'd like to, but still.

The potion thing was just added for dramatic effect. In the novel, Diabel gets slashed and dies pretty much immediately.

filthychimp fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 16, 2012

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Edit: Nevermind...

Storgar fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 16, 2012

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

filthychimp posted:

The potion thing was just added for dramatic effect. In the novel, Diabel gets slashed and dies pretty much immediately.

Well, in the novel, Kirito did actually make it over to Diabel before he died all of five seconds later.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

How about this: Name one MMO where you can force another player to use a potion.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

AnacondaHL posted:

How about this: Name one MMO where you can force another player to use a potion.

Hmm. In Anarchy Online you could use the potion equivalents on other people.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

Guild Wars 2 Engineer can. :v:

(Also you can do this for real on some Neverwinter Nights PWs, they are smaller scale than an MMO but are the same kind of idea.)

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

AnacondaHL posted:

Ragnarok Online had the Alchemist class whose whole point was throwing potions at other people.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

This isn't an MMO, but in Neverwinter Nights, you could drag a potion over a henchman to make them drink it. I think if you did that with a poison, they added poison to their weapons.

Might also have been custom scripts, there were a lot of really crazy cool stuff in that game. Like support for up to 96 players at once on a server.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Jackard posted:

The first virtual reality MMO will be designed by a ToadyOne-level :spergin: who spends all his development time on details like frying brains or how digital food tastes, and none of it on enjoyable or progressive game mechanics.
He also seems to have included code to allow people to gently caress. "Two years worth of semen made a glopping noise as it flowed endlessly into Asuna." (Apparently the author of the novels posted that extra chapter on his website and a translation is available on Baka-Tsuki.)

That certainly is an innovation compared to say World of Warcraft. Hillary Clinton would probably be displeased though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

This isn't an MMO, but in Neverwinter Nights, you could drag a potion over a henchman to make them drink it. I think if you did that with a poison, they added poison to their weapons.
Yea on some of the multiplayer servers you could force other players to drink potions.

Factor_VIII posted:

He also seems to have included code to allow people to gently caress.
So, Ressentiment​?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 17, 2012

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Factor_VIII posted:

He also seems to have included code to allow people to gently caress. "Two years worth of semen made a glopping noise as it flowed endlessly into Asuna." (Apparently the author of the novels posted that extra chapter on his website and a translation is available on Baka-Tsuki.)

That certainly is an innovation compared to say World of Warcraft. Hillary Clinton would probably be displeased though.

Why japan why. Seriously you make something that's actually kinda good and then you go and ruin it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dexo posted:

Why japan why. Seriously you make something that's actually kinda good and then you go and ruin it.

Every work of fiction with a sex scene in it is automatically awful, grrr and stuff.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I thought the protagonist was gay

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I thought the protagonist was gay

I definitely got that impression about either Kirito or Klein, but I can't remember which.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I thought the ED made it pretty glaringly obvious that Asuna was the female lead and main love interest for the guy.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 17, 2012

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I definitely got that impression about either Kirito or Klein, but I can't remember which.
I thought Klein was but then later on he goes all bashful over Asuna.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Oh god damnit, I barely started watching the show and there's already fan fiction of people loving being posted. Great.

Fake Edit: Wait, what? That's canon...? What the gently caress. :negative:

Real Edit: Okay, so I was thinking about this for some reason. Wouldn't the ability to have sex with people just make the situation worse?

...ADTRW > Sword Art Online - Rape as a Game Mechanic

Goooooons! :argh:

Storgar fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 17, 2012

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Blhue posted:

Every work of fiction with a sex scene in it is automatically awful, grrr and stuff.

To be fair, that is a really terribly written sex scene. And Asuna looks like 12.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MadRhetoric posted:

To be fair, that is a really terribly written sex scene. And Asuna looks like 12.

I thought it was a parody of terribly written sex scenes.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Dexo posted:

I read a lot of western Fantasy/Sci-Fi this registers pretty average for the books that do put in sex scenes.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 17, 2012

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
It's a semi-canonical sort of thing, in the author's side-story section, which also includes a poke at the whole Harem thing, the Accel World Crossover, and a bunch of other things. (Then again, the episode we just watched was also in that collection :( )

Really, I try to ignore that thing's existence. As it has literally no impact on the story, it's not hard to do that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Storgar posted:

Real Edit: Okay, so I was thinking about this for some reason. Wouldn't the ability to have sex with people just make the situation worse?

...ADTRW > Sword Art Online - Rape as a Game Mechanic

Goooooons! :argh:

You have to select a specific option to enable sex, though.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Right. Forgot about that. Maybe the creator was just trying to collect data on the human condition? :v:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Factor_VIII posted:

:ughh:

I thought that wasn't a thing that happened. Can I just pretend that never happened?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I read a lot of western Fantasy/Sci-Fi this registers pretty average for the books that do put in sex scenes.

Materant posted:

:ughh:

I thought that wasn't a thing that happened. Can I just pretend that never happened?

I would prefer to ignore it (like I do in non-Japanese fiction) instead of reading about it every time I open this thread. Can we ignore it instead of acting allergic to it, please?

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I would prefer to ignore it (like I do in non-Japanese fiction) instead of reading about it every time I open this thread. Can we ignore it instead of acting allergic to it, please?

no kidding. The author made a sex scene happen, big deal? It's not just Japan that does it so why is this getting special treatment? Even more, it's not like anyone is forced to read it and chances are it won't even be referenced in the anime.

Back on topic though, I really like the atmosphere for the game. Right down to the fact there are angry people who won't listen to reason, they really capture how it actually is your run of the mill online game.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

When I asked about forcing another player to use a potion in an MMO that's not what I meant

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That sex scene is written so badly that in a way it's scarily impressive.

I guess since those novels were written years ago they are too late to qualify for the Bad Sex in Fiction Award which is a shame because goddamn that would be miles ahead of any competition.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Alectai posted:

Really, I try to ignore that thing's existence. As it has literally no impact on the story, it's not hard to do that.

Isn't that how sex works in all VNs/LNs/LMNOPs?

Other than School Days which, uh, heh, well

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Personally I'm not one to watch them but there's full next episode previews on the official site.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Going back to some game mechanics. I don't think there are any MMO's where you can force another player to use a potion in their inventory, but I think there might be some games (perhaps not MMO's directly, but games like Neverwinter Nights, etc.) where you can use one of your potions on another player.

In my opinion, Kirito was attempting to use one of his own health potions on Diabel. I have no clue why Diabel would refuse it because it meant he died both in-game and in real life. Makes no sense.

Wait, I just read somewhere above that apparently healing potions did not work in that zone? Is that correct? Wasn't clear to me in the anime at that time.

Also, I also just read that the game is "classless"? No healers? No crowd control? No rogues/thieves? Interesting and not really what you'd expect. I know there have been some real life MMO's where like a ton of just warriors went after a boss and killed it, but it's usually extremely difficult and inefficient. I can't imagine that for an entire game.

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
I just finished episode 2 and I was wondering, is anime usually this cliché? ( I don't watch much anime). Diabel's death being a good example, along with the brooding and mysterious new supporting character.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Dan7el posted:

Wait, I just read somewhere above that apparently healing potions did not work in that zone? Is that correct? Wasn't clear to me in the anime at that time.

Also, I also just read that the game is "classless"? No healers? No crowd control? No rogues/thieves? Interesting and not really what you'd expect. I know there have been some real life MMO's where like a ton of just warriors went after a boss and killed it, but it's usually extremely difficult and inefficient. I can't imagine that for an entire game.

1) They don't. Him pulling it out was largely just for dramatic effect and it wasn't even there in the novels.

2) The skills are all built into your sword/weapon type. So technically there are the different offensive roles in said weapons (crowd control and the like), anything is magical is out of the picture.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

JoeCool posted:

I just finished episode 2 and I was wondering, is anime usually this cliché? ( I don't watch much anime). Diabel's death being a good example, along with the brooding and mysterious new supporting character.
Like any other media it depends on what you watch. Some do and some don't, some have them but use them in compelling ways. Some are fantastic, most are mediocre, some are confusing/pandering garbage. This show probably falls somewhere in the second column. There's a wiki you can check for stuff the forum likes, and ADTRW as a whole have pretty good taste compared to like 95% of anime forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Srice posted:

That sex scene is written so badly that in a way it's scarily impressive.
I found that the fact that even in the sex scene the author can't stop infodumping or that the girl has an orgasm simply by the guy violently chewing on one of her nipples made the whole thing rather funny. Perhaps the latter was one of the game's features.

Dan7el posted:

Yes, that game does sound pretty terrible. Even ignoring the absence of magic users, we haven't seen any ranged attackers either. That developer must have been not just insane but also really lazy.

My guess is that the author of the novels wanted an excuse as to why people engage in melee combat when their lives are on the line instead of just kiting every monster they meet. Of course having only melee combat has the disadvantage that it unnecessarily limits the battles in the anime to just melee.

• Locked thread