Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General E
Aug 25, 2003

Nextgen is far and away my favorite GReader app on Windows Phone, and I've tried just about all the major (and some of the minor) ones. I'm a pretty heavy GReader user. I don't have my Surface yet, but Nextgen Reader will be my first purchase from the app store as soon as I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Do you guys know how I can turn off the birthdays in the calendar app? I am guessing it is pulling birthdays from facebook or something but I couldn't figure out how to turn it off.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

keyframe posted:

Do you guys know how I can turn off the birthdays in the calendar app? I am guessing it is pulling birthdays from facebook or something but I couldn't figure out how to turn it off.

I'm not sure how to hide them in the app, but you could log into live.com with your microsoft account and delete the "Birthdays" calendar. It autopopulates with birthdays from your linked facebook account.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

keyframe posted:

If you open up the settings charm, while in the Calendar app, there will be an option to hide birthdays.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

There's a third party Pocket client called Latermark that is out on the store. I've yet to give it a try, though it has pretty good reviews.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Startacus posted:

If you open up the settings charm, while in the Calendar app, there will be an option to hide birthdays.

Thanks!

I had no idea that you access the settings for the apps through the settings charm.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

keyframe posted:

Thanks!

I had no idea that you access the settings for the apps through the settings charm.

Just to clarify, the settings charm is contextual as you now know and will generally be different for every app (including the desktop) assuming the developer decided to do something with it. However while in an app to get to the options for lack of a better word, that's a swipe up from the bottom. Once again not all developers code something into that. An example would be your e-mail account information is messed with via the settings charm, but the email app options would be a swipe-up. The swipe-up menu essentially exists to not clutter up the screen with dozens of buttons. Just the most commonly used go on screen and the swipe up is for less common tasks.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Just think of swipe up (or down, same thing) as right clicking. Which is what brings up the same menu when using a mouse.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had any issues with the Hulu app? When I try to watch a show it tells me my graphics card drivers are out of date, despite them being the latest from nvidia which I downloaded yesterday. Why would those drivers even matter when it comes to watching hulu? Anyway, if I go to Chrome and watch from there it works fine.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Droid Washington posted:

Has anyone had any issues with the Hulu app? When I try to watch a show it tells me my graphics card drivers are out of date, despite them being the latest from nvidia which I downloaded yesterday. Why would those drivers even matter when it comes to watching hulu? Anyway, if I go to Chrome and watch from there it works fine.

Netflix had a similar request for me when I installed it last week, but it also specified that your drivers must be WHQL certified, not a beta or any other driver.

For NVidia cards, that would be driver release 306.97 at the moment. Can you confirm that's the one you download and installed? Also, you've rebooted since installing, right?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I doubt anybody was clamoring for this but

AOL Today (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/8071b732-c391-4dc0-bc00-5af24c252c92)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kapinga posted:

Netflix had a similar request for me when I installed it last week, but it also specified that your drivers must be WHQL certified, not a beta or any other driver.

For NVidia cards, that would be driver release 306.97 at the moment. Can you confirm that's the one you download and installed? Also, you've rebooted since installing, right?

There's a common Netflix error related to the PlayReady DRM. There's a directory you need to delete some files from,

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady

Delete or rename mspr.hds

There's a hidden cache folder you can delete as well, if that doesn't work.

I can't find the link for that at the moment, but from an administrator command prompt, there's just a cache folder inside the PlayReady folder you can delete.

Doing that worked for my HTPC that I brought from Win7 to Win8.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Anyone having a problem with Netflix? My playback is perfectly fine - not jittery, buffers in decent quality, but there's a lovely popping noise whenever audio hits a certain level, so I think it's a clipping issue, but the issue only happens on my Asus Vivo Tab and not my desktop nor laptop.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
I've published two effectively test Win 8 app and am looking for my next project. Is there any big need that you personally feel is unfulfilled on Win8 Metro right now?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Protocol7 posted:

Anyone having a problem with Netflix? My playback is perfectly fine - not jittery, buffers in decent quality, but there's a lovely popping noise whenever audio hits a certain level, so I think it's a clipping issue, but the issue only happens on my Asus Vivo Tab and not my desktop nor laptop.

Does it happen with headphones or external speakers? If not, congratulations! You have poo poo speakers.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Stick100 posted:

I've published two effectively test Win 8 app and am looking for my next project. Is there any big need that you personally feel is unfulfilled on Win8 Metro right now?
Instagram/Pinterest apps, perhaps. I have heard people recommending MetroTwit, but nothing about Instagram and Pinterest apps.

MetroTwit is a pretty bad app in general, but I love that I can pin it to the side and see it update real-time, so I don't have to spend time and attention checking it for new tweets.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ufarn posted:

Instagram/Pinterest

I assume they don't have public APIs so until the company themselves make the app there won't be one, so it could be weeks or never.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Actually, there is an instagram app for Windows. Instametrogram works pretty well for me.

Not sure about Pinterest, though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Kazy posted:

Does it happen with headphones or external speakers? If not, congratulations! You have poo poo speakers.

It only happens in Netflix. Regular audio playback is perfectly fine.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Stick100 posted:

I assume they don't have public APIs so until the company themselves make the app there won't be one, so it could be weeks or never.
http://instagram.com/developer/

Pinterest seems to depend on scraping, judging by the lack of API. Maybe they want to control the devices.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ufarn posted:

http://instagram.com/developer/

Pinterest seems to depend on scraping, judging by the lack of API. Maybe they want to control the devices.

Wow I could not be more wrong about instagram, that instagram api is absolutely amazing.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Friends Are Evil posted:

Actually, there is an instagram app for Windows. Instametrogram works pretty well for me.

Not sure about Pinterest, though.
No such app in this European store. There was another one which is decent for now.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Stick100 posted:

Another goon (ljw1004 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3416039&pagenumber=159&perpage=40#post408908001) is working on a music app but...

Sporadic posted:

[...] my perfect music app would have the ability to view my music collection by folder structure, give me the ability to set the entire thing to random (but make it easy for me if I want to pick a specific song while in random), be able to show off my high res album art (at least while it isn't in snap mode), Last.FM support.

Or an Amazon Prime/VOD app would be pretty awesome.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Visio viewer?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Stick100 posted:

What I would love is this: an app that grabs both Facebook and Twitter feeds, and either displays them in the same feed, OR, when docked to the 1/3 screen area, has a top/bottom split to display both feeds at once.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 2, 2012

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kapinga posted:

Ah yeah, that's it then. I'm working with the latest beta driver. Shame, I'll just stick to using Netflix and Hulu through Chrome. I'm still not sure why playing a video would require a certain driver. I can play Netflix and Hulu through my web browser with just the basic Windows video driver.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Aatrek posted:

What I would love is this: an app that grabs both Facebook and Twitter feeds, and either displays them in the same feed, OR, when docked to the 1/3 screen area, has a top/bottom split to display both feeds at once.

The People hub doesn't do this? It does on the phone, what gives?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Droid Washington posted:

Ah yeah, that's it then. I'm working with the latest beta driver. Shame, I'll just stick to using Netflix and Hulu through Chrome. I'm still not sure why playing a video would require a certain driver. I can play Netflix and Hulu through my web browser with just the basic Windows video driver.

My guess is either DRM bullshit, which isn't likely, or that they are only letting people use certain drivers so when someone's using a hacked driver and Netflix magically doesn't work, they don't call them up and be like "hey assholes fix it"

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jewmanji posted:

The People hub lists them all together but it's possible to filter them if you right click while on the what's new section.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Jewmanji posted:

If it does, I can't figure it out

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Aatrek posted:

If it does, I can't figure it out

Right click inside the people hub, click home, then click 'what's new'.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

4 Day Weekend posted:

Right click inside the people hub, click home, then click 'what's new'.

That puts both feeds inline. He appears to want them separated.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm getting bad reviews due to crashes, yet the drat WinDev dashboard shows nothing. Like what the hell.

I'm almost sure, it's because of lovely audio drivers. Like the SurfaceRT, which doesn't do 44KHz, nor does WASAPI do SRC.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

tk posted:

Sporadic posted:

The People hub lists them all together but it's possible to filter them if you right click while on the what's new section.

Not exactly what he wants but it's something.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm getting bad reviews due to crashes, yet the drat WinDev dashboard shows nothing. Like what the hell.

I'm almost sure, it's because of lovely audio drivers. Like the SurfaceRT, which doesn't do 44KHz, nor does WASAPI do SRC.

I think that WinDev dashboard takes a full day to update. What is your app?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

tk posted:

Well, inline is best, really. But you can't tweet or reply from that window, as far as I can tell, so it's kind of useless.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

General E posted:

Nextgen is far and away my favorite GReader app on Windows Phone, and I've tried just about all the major (and some of the minor) ones. I'm a pretty heavy GReader user. I don't have my Surface yet, but Nextgen Reader will be my first purchase from the app store as soon as I get it.

I am loving this app, but how do you get into the settings? I'd like to to stop nagging me every time I mark things as unread.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

-Dethstryk- posted:

I am loving this app, but how do you get into the settings? I'd like to to stop nagging me every time I mark things as unread.

Settings charm. Same for pretty much every app.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

tk posted:

Settings charm. Same for pretty much every app.

This needs to be in the OP and bolded with :siren:s to both side.

--

I downloaded this today and it is a very decent instragram app:

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-us/app/tlvstagram/e2c968cd-d0b8-4f78-8066-036ccd9325e6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Adding to the OP :v:

• Locked thread