Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Really loving this arc. Automonously Thinking Fixed Artillery is best transfer student.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Why don't they just vaporize him with a laser? Even if he can travel at Mach 20, he can't exceed the speed of light!

I like that she looks either like Watson, the Jeopardy playing computer, or a black iPod. I also hope that she remains an AI and doesn't turn all cute and :blush: after a short arc devoted just to her. Also, how will she fare in PE?? What will the Sports Festival be like?!

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Why don't they just vaporize him with a laser? Even if he can travel at Mach 20, he can't exceed the speed of light!

I like that she looks either like Watson, the Jeopardy playing computer, or a black iPod. I also hope that she remains an AI and doesn't turn all cute and :blush: after a short arc devoted just to her. Also, how will she fare in PE?? What will the Sports Festival be like?!

She'll probably get upgraded to a humanoid form to go along with it. I'm hoping it doesn't happen, just because the image of a giant black obelisk sitting at a desk in the middle of the classroom is hilarious to me.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm surprised they haven't tried something like a gas forum of those BBs. I assume he's create a tornado or something and blow it away but it's worth a shot.

The funny thing is that they still use those BB guns. Koro-sensei could just hold up a piece of cardboard or something to block it. They need to start sticking them in real bullets or something.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I assume real guns are banned storyline-wise because it'd be dangerous for children, regardless how well trained, to use them. They're probably banned reality-wise because this is a jump manga and even the normally tolerant Japanese public isn't dumb enough to overlook a comic about kids being real knives and guns to school to try and kill their teacher.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
This comic runs in Shonen Jump. They cannot show middle-schoolers shooting at their teacher with real guns. Parents would go apeshit.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Oh I get why they do it, it still comes off as silly though. Since Koro-sensei has shown that he's happy to let people shoot him with normal bullets, it seems logical to use some sort of hollow ammo filled with special sauce that appears to be a harmless normal bullet.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DrSunshine posted:

The laser might travel at light speed but the person pointing it doesn't. Koro-sensei isn't the easiest person in the world to sneak attack, especially if you're lugging around a huge rear end laser, which it would presumably have to be if it's going to be powerful enough to vaporize him instantly. As to the bullets, maybe the special sauce is incompatible with normal metals or gunpowder in some form.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
They could always put the laser on the moon.

...Oh wait.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Umpteenthing that haha gently caress you I'm not writing out that whole name is awesome.

Also gently caress I just hunted down a smiley and now I can't remember why for the life of me :(

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Didn't the Red Eyes use regular bullets modified to be covered in anti-Korosensei pellets? They even made a point about how fast the shot was and how insane it was that Korosensei grabbed one out of mid-air with some kind of soft and spongey Japanese foodstuff.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Popehoist posted:

I assume real guns are banned storyline-wise because it'd be dangerous for children, regardless how well trained, to use them. They're probably banned reality-wise because this is a jump manga and even the normally tolerant Japanese public isn't dumb enough to overlook a comic about kids being real knives and guns to school to try and kill their teacher.
It wasn't Jump but back in 1970 Go Nagai wrote a series for a shonen magazine called Guerrilla High. It was about how the Japanese teacher's association militarized to deal with unruly students but ultimately lead to corruption and cruelty. The series followed two students who would infiltrate a school and help the students revolt, murder all the teachers then move on. Of course being Go Nagai characters one of them was just doing it because he really liked violence.

Manga used to be so much more fun.

Assassination Classroom is still pretty awesome though.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm getting real Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer vibes from this manga.

Also, I am enjoying it. It's great how the author is bringing these low-achievement kids along beside thier awesome teacher.

I'm bothered that this guy can travel at Mach 20 without any ill effects. The heat from such traveling should be tremendous. We don't see him becoming a mass of smoking cotton/melted rayon when he goes to China for lunch.

It appears modern science has created "gun" that can shoot faster than Mach 20, but it might not be practicle:
Fastest Gun On Earth. Stil, with current technology trends, I would not be surprised to see someone attempting to build a hight-hypersonic weapon to give these kids. That would be my first order of business.

I'd like to see more "creative redirection" on the part of the assassins. I mean, we know that the Korosensei will do something related to how they're trying to kill him in the partial-seconds available to him. For example, when the boy threw the death-baseball at the Korosensei, he ran into the sports equipment storage shed and grabbed a glove to catch the baseball with (since he couldn't touch the ball with his flesh).

Why not redirect? Throw the ball but have the shed wired to explode when the target enters to get the glove? Things like that. Nets? Wires? Traps? Enclose an entire room in a cage? Seems to me there are a lot of ways to trap this guy that have yet to be explored.

Also, I don't think the moon would retain that shape if something happened to it to make it like that. It would collapse due to gravitational forces from the earth, etc. Large chunks would fall into the earth also. Sure, I can suspend my belief on these things (moon and high-hypersonic speed without heat), but these are the things I think about....

The talking-giant-iPod-assassin is pretty cool, too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dan7el posted:

I'm bothered that this guy can travel at Mach 20 without any ill effects. The heat from such traveling should be tremendous. We don't see him becoming a mass of smoking cotton/melted rayon when he goes to China for lunch.

It's mentioned on one of the cover pages that the mucus on his tentacles vastly reduces air friction, so he's able to fly with no ill effects.

As for the rest, let's all sing the MST3K song

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The Assassination Classroom twitter account has been posting some pictures.

I really want one.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I want to see a crossover between Assassination Classroom and Squid Girl.

I think Korosensei and Squidgirl would be good friends. :3:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

gnome7 posted:

The Assassination Classroom twitter account has been posting some pictures.

I really want one.

:argh: Now I want one.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

DrSunshine posted:

I want to see a crossover between Assassination Classroom and Squid Girl.

I think Korosensei and Squidgirl would be good friends. :3:

Man, now that I think of it, Koro-sensei is almost exactly who Squid Girl is always trying to be, isn't he.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Chapter

Oh Koro Sensei :allears:

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I can't make any sort of predictions, or have any way of knowing what will happen next in this series.

But I know I will definitely enjoy it. I mean, who expected a Mastercard commercial joke?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

:unsmith: Koro-sensei is a great teacher.

Breadmaster posted:

But I know I will definitely enjoy it. I mean, who expected a Mastercard commercial joke?
I missed it, where is it in the chapter?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Autumncomet posted:

:unsmith: Koro-sensei is a great teacher.

I missed it, where is it in the chapter?

Is in the last pages where Koro Sensei is talking about how much he spend on "upgrade" the Ipod :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is in the last pages where Koro Sensei is talking about how much he spend on "upgrade" the Ipod :v:

Mastercard commercials didn't invent the concept of spending money on something priceless.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I think I preferred ATFA-chan's gloomy look. Her happy expression at the end there was... really out of place. Giving her a full body and a "cooperation" upgrade is pretty awesome, though - Koro-sensei really is the greatest teacher.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Evolved in a strange direction indeed.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I knew this would happen. I was hoping it wouldn't, but it did! I feel a bit let-down.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Serious Frolicking posted:

Mastercard commercials didn't invent the concept of spending money on something priceless.

They did however popularize the concept of making a joke by first listing prices, then finishing with something being priceless and worth spending all the previously described money on.

DrSunshine posted:

I knew this would happen. I was hoping it wouldn't, but it did! I feel a bit let-down.

It kind of had to. The entire point of the manga is about Korosensei improving his students. He can hardly be said to improve his student if she stays as a giant black box with a fixed expression who shits all over the other students and has no interest in interacting with them. Frankly you should be glad she didn't get an actual humanish body that can walk around and then start showing off "skin" and flirting with other students, which is what most people were predicting last week. She's still fixed in place now, she's just more conscious of the other students and willing to consider them in her plans, both for avoiding and co-operation. Mind you, there could be more upgrades on the way though considering that she hasn't actually stopped trying to kill Korosensei yet, just adapted her methods.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 1, 2012

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Breadmaster posted:

I think the translation/pacing/whatever kind of killed it unfortunately. :shobon:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Eh, turning from IPod-girl to IPad was kind of sweet in my opinion, and it shows how far Korosensei is willing to go to improve his students, even if he ends up spending all his cash. :shobon:

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

DrSunshine posted:

There are actually times Koro actually is going faster than the speed of light, Chapter 4 for example. Anyway there isn't really much point in thinking about the situation realistically. If the series had any semblance of realism the series would have ended in the first few pages as Koro would have accidentally killed the class by causing the building to collapse due to the shockwaves going Mach 20 would have caused. Chances are even if they could kill him it's doubtful that Class E would actually do so, the rest of the world are a bunch of dicks why the hell would they kill someone awesome for it? Might as well just sit down and enjoy the premise.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

mikemil828 posted:

There are actually times Koro actually is going faster than the speed of light, Chapter 4 for example.

Faster than the human-eye processing speed != speed of light.

The speed the human eye processes movement is actually pretty low compared to other animals.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Is putting the "dumbest" kids all in one class so everyone can make fun of them and work better so they don't end up in said class actually a thing japanese schools do, or is it just the manga taking it's black humor to the extreme?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

goldjas posted:

Is putting the "dumbest" kids all in one class so everyone can make fun of them and work better so they don't end up in said class actually a thing japanese schools do, or is it just the manga taking it's black humor to the extreme?

Probably not so overtly, but treating students with poor performance or refuse to conform badly isn't unique to Japan.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

goldjas posted:

Mostly the latter. It's black humor, a system like this doesn't actually exist. That said, the Japanese school system is highly competitive and values cutting down your fellow students in favor of excelling yourself. There is a lot of pressure placed on students to do well, which is a big part of why a lot of kids drop out of/before high school for gangs or jobs - they didn't make the cut. The Japanese school system is really harsh - the system shown here is just that system turned up to 11.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

goldjas posted:

gnome7 posted:

Mostly the latter. It's black humor, a system like this doesn't actually exist. That said, the Japanese school system is highly competitive and values cutting down your fellow students in favor of excelling yourself. There is a lot of pressure placed on students to do well, which is a big part of why a lot of kids drop out of/before high school for gangs or jobs - they didn't make the cut. The Japanese school system is really harsh - the system shown here is just that system turned up to 11.

Yeah, it's definitely black comedy, but I think it's mostly a satire of how cut-throat competitive Japanese high-schools can get, taking real social trends to absurd and horrifying extremes. I'd guess it's probably a big part of why AssClass is suddenly so inexplicably popular in Japan! The kids who read Jump get what it's trying to say in that regard.

edit: I somehow thought I posted it in here already, but here's an interesting tumblr post about what might be deduced about Bitch-sensei's background

person from tumblr posted:

This panel is pretty interesting to me, because it basically makes canon the fact that Irina comes from a former Yugoslavian country*, and most likely spent her childhood in the middle of the Yugoslav wars**. Which is, y’know, a gently caress of a way to grow up. It certainly makes her backstory a lot more interesting, at any rate - I hope we get to see more of it.

*Probably Croatia, given her surname.
*If the series takes place in 2012, then she was born in 1992

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 3, 2012

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
That seems to be making a bit of a jump. Do we even know the time this thing is set in? They do have advanced AI fighting robots.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Dr_Amazing posted:

That seems to be making a bit of a jump. Do we even know the time this thing is set in? They do have advanced AI fighting robots.

I am fairly sure that every manga has advanced AI fighting robots, regardless of the time period.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Chapter 22!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Takebayashi, best character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Takebayashi is the goon. Classroom is complete.

Ritsu. :unsmith:

• Locked thread