Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It's weird looking but apparently it's :science: involving fractals. Anything will be a step up from UCP at any rate. I'm hoping multicam wins out with dedicated desert and woodland variants. Make the standard uniform and OCIE in traditional multicam while issuing the desert/woodland as necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I agree. Multicam seems to be the best pattern, and it doesn't seem too hard to make a woodland variant.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

DrCuntmuffins posted:

I might be wrong but I feel like I see 8 carriers on there, counting the one that's getting resurfaced.

Depends what you're calling "carrier." There are 5 CVNs in the picture. From the bottom: CVN-69 Eisenhower, CVN-77 George Bush, CVN-65 Enterprise, CVN-72 Lincoln, CVN-75 Truman. The smaller ones are LHDs, which carry helos and harriers. LHD-5 there is the USS Bataan. The others I can't see the number.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Ron Jeremy posted:

Depends what you're calling "carrier." There are 5 CVNs in the picture. From the bottom: CVN-69 Eisenhower, CVN-77 George Bush, CVN-65 Enterprise, CVN-72 Lincoln, CVN-75 Truman. The smaller ones are LHDs, which carry helos and harriers. LHD-5 there is the USS Bataan. The others I can't see the number.

LHD/LHAs can operate as a lovely version of a carrier. The Navy tested the concept in the 70s but that's about the extent of it. The 'Sea Control Ship concept' is one of the extremely tertiary arguments for SVTOL F-35s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Control_Ship#Ships_with_secondary_SCS_mission

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Veins McGee posted:

LHD/LHAs can operate as a lovely version of a carrier. The Navy tested the concept in the 70s but that's about the extent of it. The 'Sea Control Ship concept' is one of the extremely tertiary arguments for SVTOL F-35s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Control_Ship#Ships_with_secondary_SCS_mission
It's all relative; what we consider an amphibious assault ship and don't consider to be "real" carriers is equal or better in capability to the "aircraft carrier" of most other nations. In the 'Sea Control' role, LHDs carry 20 Harriers and 6 helicopters. We don't generally use them very often in that role, but can, depending on mission.

This is a bit dated, but still a good visual comparison:

This is USS Theodore Roosevelt operating with France's Charles de Gaulle, the next most capable aircraft carrier in the world after US CVNs, and the only other nuclear carrier. It's actually smaller than LHA/LHD, less than half the displacement of a US CVN, but as it's designed to be a dedicated aircraft carrier vs gator freighter, can operate more fixed wing aircraft than an LHA/LHD, though still far less than a CVN. It's got some other serious issues that limit effectiveness in the power projection role that I don't think were ever entirely corrected.

LHD between two CVNs:

grover fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 30, 2012

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

grover posted:

This is USS Theodore Roosevelt operating with France's Charles de Gaulle, the next most capable aircraft carrier in the world after US CVNs, and the only other nuclear carrier.

Russia and China both have nuclear carriers :ssh:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Russia and China both have nuclear carriers :ssh:
The Kuznetsov and Varyag/Liaoning are conventional. :eng101: USSR had a number of nuclear cruisers, but never built a nuclear carrier. The Ulyanovsk was going to be their first, but it was scrapped before they finished construction.

grover fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 30, 2012

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Whew, for a second there I thought someone would let a simple answer slide. :baby:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

Whew, for a second there I thought someone would let a simple answer slide. :baby:

What is that and where did it come from?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

What is that and where did it come from?

Its the baby from the hit show "dinosaurs" dummy

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

Its the baby from the hit show "dinosaurs" dummy

you know what I was asking about moker :(

Squirrel Knight
Nov 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

grover posted:

The Kuznetsov and Varyag/Liaoning are conventional. :eng101: USSR had a number of nuclear cruisers, but never built a nuclear carrier. The Ulyanovsk was going to be their first, but it was scrapped before they finished construction.

I guess it was because they ran out of money or had some design bureau squabbling that could not be resolved. Or it could have been that they are now out of budget for it and previously having them was very outside their doctrine of warfare/colonialism. However, they did make nuke icebreakers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear-powered_icebreaker

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

you know what I was asking about moker :(

Its a los angeles class submarine at periscope depth ;)

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
:eng101: It's the USS Chicago (SSN 721).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I remember an LA-class sub doing a sprint between CASEX areas during a NATO exercise in the North Sea in 2005, fucker was so fast we couldn't get a track on him on the sonar set, only on audio.

Granted this was on an Oslo-class frigate, and the sonar set was from the late 1980s :v:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkt1vAX0MRM&feature=youtu.be

I know this has had to be in GiP before, but it's just so amazingly stupid that it deserves a place in every youtube thread

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Booblord Zagats posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkt1vAX0MRM&feature=youtu.be

I know this has had to be in GiP before, but it's just so amazingly stupid that it deserves a place in every youtube thread

I'm so proud of my country right now. :denmark:

To compensate, have a video of one of our pilots practicing some aerobatics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvgaL4WHCws

Edit: Another one, this time with some RDAF low-level flying over Norway - it's real purty :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRYK6zyYkGs (Our pilots have to go abroad to find things to dodge, as the highest point in Denmark is 183 metres ASL (206 metres if you count the tower on the hill)).

Mzuri fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 2, 2013

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mzuri posted:

I'm so proud of my country right now. :denmark:
That's not from Denmark, it's another lovely Dutch creation. Inventors of most terrible reality show trends, like this despicable poo poo

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Casimir Radon posted:

That's not from Denmark, it's another lovely Dutch creation. Inventors of most terrible reality show trends, like this despicable poo poo

US Reality Shows are worse (slightly :NSFW: )

vas edit: not about military topics. This is not a chat thread.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 3, 2013

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Casimir Radon posted:

Pretty loving weird they are speaking Danish and Norwegian then.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Given the maneuvers they pull and how far the seat is canted back in the I would hate to see how common neck injuries are among F-16 pilots.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

FWD:FWD:FWD:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Rade Koncar, formerly a Yugoslav missile boat. German engines, Russian missiles, Swedish guns.

"They're for sale, if you want them." [/obiwan]

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Beards are cool.

A soldier from 1st Battalion The Royal Anglian Regiment (The Vikings) stands to attention as his regiment receives their Afghanistan Operational Service Medal at Picton Barracks in Bulford, England, on November 1, 2012. The parade was the first in a series of events marking the end of their successful six-month deployment to Afghanistan as part of Task Force Helmand. The parade comes during the same week that two more British soldiers were shot dead at a checkpoint in Afghanistan by a man wearing a local police uniform. (Matt Cardy/Getty Images)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The USN's bath-salts-are-bad-for-you PSA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhlaHwnErBI

Warning: Dubstep.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Thanks USN for telling me how to get bath salts and how to use them.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

brb ordering bath salts :catdrugs:

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I'm waiting for some confused dude to go hog wild in Bath & Body Works and try to smoke actual bath salts.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

hey the park in that bath salts video is in bethesda. next to my ex gf's house

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch

DRONES CURE HAJI posted:

hey the park in that bath salts video is in bethesda. next to my ex gf's house

forget it kid, shes bathsalts now

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
^^ They have probably being in the Army about a week, the cap badges are the the lovely phase 1 non infantry badges you get before you earn your regimental cap badge.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Phanatic posted:

The USN's bath-salts-are-bad-for-you PSA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhlaHwnErBI

Warning: Dubstep.

this video owns unironically

and I'd gently caress that chick he gave the business to for her lip

seriously I'd gently caress her stupid

Kinda wanna do bathsalts now

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Ditto on the girl. Not to be too misogynistic but her titties are really fat and I'd like to put my penis between them. I hope that's not too graphic for the lurkers :ohdear:

Has is house an apartment or barracks? Because if that's what Navy Barracks look like now, holy poo poo. I've never been one to be all "back in my day!" But back in my day :corsair:

Have a picture of the USS Blueridge taken from a PLAN Jiangwei. Got a very, and oddly thorough tour of it. It was spotless and an elisted dude we talked to said they cleaned and painted for a month straight in preparation. Despite the immaculate appearance you could tell it was a sub-par ship. There was linoleum everywhere on the bridge and CIC. And there was startlingly few fire hoses and the ones we saw were no longer than eight feet. There were also not as many QAWTDs as you would think for a combat ship.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 4, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

front wing flexing posted:

Have a picture of the USS Blueridge taken from a PLAN Jiangwei. Got a very, and oddly thorough tour of it. It was spotless and an elisted dude we talked to said they cleaned and painted for a month straight in preparation. Despite the immaculate appearance you could tell it was a sub-par ship. There was linoleum everywhere on the bridge and CIC. And there was startlingly few fire hoses and the ones we saw were no longer than eight feet. There were also not as many QAWTDs as you would think for a combat ship.

A friend of mine who toured a PLAN ship about 15 years ago said he was appalled with the lack of any sort of concern for smoke or damage control. Nevermind halogens in cable insulation, he said things similar to you- linoleum, carpet and wood everywhere and virtually no indication of any serious damage control like fireproofing, power casualty risers, EEBDs or the like. Did you notice a lot else like that?

How did it appear technology-wise? Lots of computers like on US warship? Do you have any more pictures? Hard to find interior photos of Chinese ships online :(

grover fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 4, 2013

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
:lol:

D&D owns

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

front wing flexing posted:

Has is house an apartment or barracks? Because if that's what Navy Barracks look like now, holy poo poo. I've never been one to be all "back in my day!" But back in my day :corsair:

That's what I was thinking, man gently caress bath salts navy barracks are siiiick. When I first got to Alaska I lived in barracks known as the crack house and rumor was the building was legit condemned. I believed it.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
I Want To Be Called Hajji Killer Now.

ha it gets better whoever wrote that doesn't know a haji is a real term for someone on hajj

Mr. Samuel Shitley fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 4, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

ha it gets better whoever wrote that doesn't know a haji is a real term for someone on hajj

Yeah, but in common parlance, Haji isn't used as a term of respect for people who have completed the Hajj.

Somewhere on Rt Mobile or Michigan in 2008, probably near Korean Village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

grover posted:

A friend of mine who toured a PLAN ship about 15 years ago said he was appalled with the lack of any sort of concern for smoke or damage control. Nevermind halogens in cable insulation, he said things similar to you- linoleum, carpet and wood everywhere and virtually no indication of any serious damage control like fireproofing, power casualty risers, EEBDs or the like. Did you notice a lot else like that?

How did it appear technology-wise? Lots of computers like on US warship? Do you have any more pictures? Hard to find interior photos of Chinese ships online :(

I'll get some more pictures up, just have to black out some faces. But it was exactly like your friend described. Technology wise it seemed pretty primitive. Didn't see a computer or LCD screen anywhere, navigation seemed to be analog. When we wrote up our inputs for the report we acknowledged that they may have sanitized for our arrival but it din't look like there was anywhere for electronics to go.

• Locked thread