Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Speaking of horses, have they ever explained why they never went with a skill-based mount speed system (like WoW does) instead of per-horse speed? There's so many pretty horses that I will never bother to get because they're all stuck at 62%. I never ride the 62% ones I currently have. Bums me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Remember the bad old days in Moria? Well, the moria revamps are awesome. If you hated moria before, be prepared to change your mind. I am actually sad to be leaving on my minstrel.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Plastic Pal posted:

Speaking of horses, have they ever explained why they never went with a skill-based mount speed system (like WoW does) instead of per-horse speed? There's so many pretty horses that I will never bother to get because they're all stuck at 62%. I never ride the 62% ones I currently have. Bums me out.

This is why I haven't spent festival tokens on the yule fest mounts again this year, they're all 62%. I always default to using a 68% mount even though I have a lot better looking 62% mounts. This is one of the flaws the game still has.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

ruffz posted:

This is why I haven't spent festival tokens on the yule fest mounts again this year, they're all 62%. I always default to using a 68% mount even though I have a lot better looking 62% mounts. This is one of the flaws the game still has.

Once you get a combat mount, 68% becomes kind of irrelevant...

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Since this game was mentioned more than a few times in the SWTOR's chat as an example of well done f2p, I figured to give it a play around since from what I was reading in the old thread, this was something much more casual. So far I've been enjoying it, taking my time alternating between a hunter and a lore-master with plans to make a rune keeper once I splurge on Moria.

What I've not found anything concrete for info on was has anyone had a problem with buying the expansions through something like Steam when they downloaded the game from elsewhere? I know with some games there is a problem since Steam does it's own things with installs at times, so I wasn't sure if it was the same here too.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
The Steam purchase provides you with a code you apply to your Turbine account. The expansions for LoTRO aren't treated like DLC like you get in some other steam-i-fied games with extra content.

You can buy the expansions from anywhere and apply them to your account. All Steam really does with respect to LoTRO is give you an initial download and the patcher, with the benefit of Steam overlay and friendslist and all that crap.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 30, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I was highly impressed with this game and Steam's version recently. I formatted a week ago and downloaded LotRO again through Steam. The thing that got me was that I didn't have to sit at the launcher waiting for it to patch. It just went right into the game and was all set. It seems like Steam's kept fairly up to date, or that U9 was big enough to warrant updating what Steam has on its servers.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Captain Backslap posted:

The Steam purchase provides you with a code you apply to your Turbine account. The expansions for LoTRO aren't treated like DLC like you get in some other steam-i-fied games with extra content.

You can buy the expansions from anywhere and apply them to your account. All Steam really does with respect to LoTRO is give you an initial download and the patcher, with the benefit of Steam overlay and friendslist and all that crap.

Okay. From what I can see on Steam, there's a Steely Dawn starter pack that from what it says on the listing needs LoTRO on Steam. I got my copy of LoTRO through Turbine's downloader, so I'm wondering if I'm just out of luck on this pack or have to jump through a couple hoops for it.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Yeah, it looks like all of the steam stuff is flagged as DLC in the store so it'll make you download the game, I guess. You have to be able to right-click the game in your library to get the activation codes you'd apply to your Turbine account.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
So if I want to take advantage of the cheap Rohan edition on Steam I would need to first download LOTRO from Steam? I currently just play through the same old launcher I've used forever.

Actually, now that I've looked it's no different than buying it from the Turbine store in terms of price.

ukrainius maximus fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 30, 2012

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Since it's F2P you can just add it to your library, cancel the download, and still be considered as "owning" the game as far as Steam is concerned, too. Although in cases that there's no price difference, might as well give money directly to Turbine.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
All of the Steam expansions just give you a code you apply at myaccount.turbine.com.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Yes, but the hurdle is that Steam won't let you buy the codes via them unless it thinks you own the game, which is what we're discussing.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ok does this game really not have fullscreen windowed? :(

Edit: It said revamped starter zones, but this is the same dwarf zone I played when the game came out, is there changes I'm missing?

queeb fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 31, 2012

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
I played a long time ago in Moria and I believe I got a warden to 60 but never did quite get a gold legendary spear or my legendary traits.

Is there a simple guide to getting my poo poo re-sorted for the new expac?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

queeb posted:

Ok does this game really not have fullscreen windowed? :(

Edit: It said revamped starter zones, but this is the same dwarf zone I played when the game came out, is there changes I'm missing?

http://archive.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/915-developer-diary-the-new-newbie-experience-ered-luin

Basically, you aren't remembering correctly. The changes weren't a complete redesign or re-write, but they should be significant enough to recognize.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 31, 2012

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Well The Hobbit just came out, and I got the Lord of the Rings extended trilogy for Christmas, I think it's time I stopped putting off trying this game.

After some preliminary research I'm kind of disappointed that Captains are only available to the race of man, I think a dwarf captain would be pretty cool, but on the other hand I like the sound of what they've done with burglers, have they avoided the usual MMO rogue stigma?

Also I notice on steam there's something reduced by 50% called the Steely Dawn Starter Pack, is this at all worth the $10 they're currently asking?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
In my opinion the pack is crappy. You'd be better off just subbing for a month instead.

Can't really speak much of burglars, I only played mine to 35. Quite enjoyed it though, and you can do cool things if you're good at managing your debuffs and crowd control skills.

Smoking Gun
Mar 7, 2003
Image leeching is BAD
Are there any opinions on plugins, specifically for wardens and the gathering vocations?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Sheep posted:

In my opinion the pack is crappy. You'd be better off just subbing for a month instead.

Can't really speak much of burglars, I only played mine to 35. Quite enjoyed it though, and you can do cool things if you're good at managing your debuffs and crowd control skills.

After researching that pack further, yeah all it looks like is just a pretty looking armour set and some turbine points. Not quite worth it for $10 in my eyes so I ended up with this: http://store.turbine.com/store/turbine/en_US/pd/ThemeID.28979900/productID.258048600

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Oxphocker posted:

Once you get a combat mount, 68% becomes kind of irrelevant...

That's kind of missing the point. I guess when I get a combat mount, that's all I'll be riding too.

C'mon Turbine, just make all the horses scale to the speed of the player's fastest mount already. :arghfist::(

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

Also a great thing to get for just about anyone is the Universal Toolkit. 150TP for one item that is only just slightly below the highest tier crafted tool and it works for everything.

I love it.

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness

SeaTard posted:

Humans have an innate +5% extra incoming healing, in addition to a racial trait that gives +1% each to block/parry/evade. They have a skill on a 1 hour cooldown that gives a ~2.5k morale heal. Awesome heal when you're level 45, almost pointless when you're level 75.

That heal has saved my rear end more often than I can count, both PvE and PvP.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

UnholyCow posted:

Also a great thing to get for just about anyone is the Universal Toolkit. 150TP for one item that is only just slightly below the highest tier crafted tool and it works for everything.

I love it.

This is truly the best purchase ever.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

UnholyCow posted:

Okay, I'm purchasing this before the price goes up. Holy crap that's useful.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just lost my 24 hr starter horse. What the christ am I supposed to do now? This game is unplayable without something to ride around.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

sassassin posted:

Just lost my 24 hr starter horse. What the christ am I supposed to do now? This game is unplayable without something to ride around.

Go do the quests in Winterhome and get the permanent festival mount. The mounts from last year cost only 20 tokens, and every quest gives you 4. One of the quests is literally "Take this keg and go over to that dwarf" -- taking all of 10 seconds. The others take a few minutes. Basically you can get a mount within 10-15 minutes if you go there.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

sassassin posted:

Whaa whaa... the fellowship didn't always have horses to ride. In the earlier times of LOTRO there was NO way to get a horse before lvl 35. Won't kill you..

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Oxphocker posted:

Whaa whaa... the fellowship didn't always have horses to ride. In the earlier times of LOTRO there was NO way to get a horse before lvl 35. Won't kill you..

And it took them months to get anywhere. 'Won't kill me' isn't what I want from my time tbh.

I'm in Bree now anyway and have found where to buy one, but it's like 500 coins for anything and I spent all my money on auction house heavy armour.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

sassassin posted:

And it took them months to get anywhere. 'Won't kill me' isn't what I want from my time tbh.

I'm in Bree now anyway and have found where to buy one, but it's like 500 coins for anything and I spent all my money on auction house heavy armour.

A couple posts up offered the best solution: Go to Winterhome and do the quests. It takes like 15 minutes and some of them are kind of fun. You earn enough tokens through the first cycle of quests to buy a mount straight away.

Also back in my day etc etc.. I played this game at launch before recently coming back and we were all too distracted by the pretty scenery and poo poo Dread mechanics to notice the lack of pony.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Isn't the real problem his lack of the riding skill?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Sticking some crap up in the auction house and praying it sells by the time I come back. If not will look into whatever Winterhome is (I've spent all my time in Ered Luin and a quick ride through the Shire so far).

When do I start getting armour that doesn't look like I'm walking around in long johns?

edit: I bought the riding skill with points (after playing for 8 hours I figured the game was worth £4.99)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

sassassin posted:

When do I start getting armour that doesn't look like I'm walking around in long johns?

What class are you playing? I started noticing that my Guardian was looking kinda cool about midway into my teens. Especially when you get second-tier crafted armor and the armorsmith has like 2 or 3 different cosmetic options when they craft it (normal, Elf-make, Dwarf-make, etc).

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

sassassin posted:

Sticking some crap up in the auction house and praying it sells by the time I come back. If not will look into whatever Winterhome is (I've spent all my time in Ered Luin and a quick ride through the Shire so far).

Winterhome is the holiday Festival area. I know in the Shire there's an NPC in Michel Delving by the Postmaster that ports you there.

quote:

I forgot what level you unlock Cosmetic slots, but once you do, start trying on armor with the ctrl+click option to see what looks best to wear over your epic pajamas from Barrow-downs. My level 40 Loremaster has been wearing the same level 3 gray plume hat forever because it looks dapper as gently caress with his long gray cloak.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
I know my level 15 rune keeper looks like a rainbow got drunk and threw up all over me! I'm probably just going to end up buying a armor set off of the LOTRO store and call it good. Being that I'm a rune keeper, would I be able to wear an outfit that looks like plate mail or am I stuck with cloth cosmetic outfits?

Also the only time I wished I had a horse was when I was completing the quest line in Thorin's Hall in which you find the gears and have to run back every time to turn them in. I now have the 20 token Yule horse so everything is good. It literally took 15 minutes of running around not knowing what to do to get it! I cleaned some plates, pick pocketed some villagers, moved a keg to a drunk dwarf, and woke up some sleeping yetis. It's tons easier than trying to get random items to sell on the auction house.

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004

Midrena posted:

Okay, I'm purchasing this before the price goes up. Holy crap that's useful.

I got one for my guys. Although I might get another one for my main as I am too lazy to hoof it to the shared storage. That and I have over 1000tp to use that I don't see using anytime soon.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
How do people see Wardens these days? They're one of the more fun MMO classes I've played but I don't know whether to focus on my Warden or Minstrel. Will I have issues getting parties with one at higher levels?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drone posted:

What class are you playing? I started noticing that my Guardian was looking kinda cool about midway into my teens. Especially when you get second-tier crafted armor and the armorsmith has like 2 or 3 different cosmetic options when they craft it (normal, Elf-make, Dwarf-make, etc).

I've got a lv 18 guardian and his equipment looks ridiculous

Been wearing a dress and a cape since the first outfitter I found, but that's okay cause I'm an elf.

Maybe I should have gone armoursmith instead of weapons.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

It helps to keep an eye on quest rewards too, the only aesthetically pleasing helmet I've encountered so far came from an intro quest (the flared metal helm). Also some things look less like war-pajamas when you dye them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

sassassin posted:

I've got a lv 18 guardian and his equipment looks ridiculous

Been wearing a dress and a cape since the first outfitter I found, but that's okay cause I'm an elf.

Maybe I should have gone armoursmith instead of weapons.

Yeah, mine's a 20 elf guardian and he looks pretty cool. I can't log in right now to check, but I think he's wearing like level 18-ish crafted armorsmith armor of the elven variety. Looks pretty cool, like someone from the movies would look. Except with dumb shoulder pads.

I kinda wish there were a way you could display your shield/weapon in the character select screen. I like my dude to look badass.

Remy Marathe posted:

It helps to keep an eye on quest rewards too, the only aesthetically pleasing helmet I've encountered so far came from an intro quest (the flared metal helm). Also some things look less like war-pajamas when you dye them.

Is that the one that looks kinda like one of the old British helmets from WW1 and 2? I have that on my level 10 captain, looks pretty sweet.

Was there ever a gallery of cool goon-made screenshots from Lotro? This game really is pretty as hell sometimes, and I like seeing character customization.

Drone fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 31, 2012

• Locked thread