Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

This is really stupid but it tickled my tummy to bits, because I have far to much time on my hands I've been watching The Voice UK and The Voice Australia. On the US and UK version the chairs turn counter clockwise but on the Australia version they turn clockwise. I don't know if they did that on purpose or not but I giggle a little every time a chair turns.

Also, since Keith abandoned The Voice Australia they replaced him with Ricky Martin. Needless to say drat near every girl he turns for picks him, much to the irritation of the other judges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Here we go Top 6, here we go *clap* *clap*

Remember what a bummer last week was? Well just in case you didn't, here's an extended look behind the scenes about how torn up everybody was about it! Unless you watched Fox comedies after the results show, where they kept peppering in these segments live, which I guess means people were all standing around trying to make Burnell feel better for a full hour after the show ended. Worth it! Miss you already, kid.

I'm predicting that tonight's going to be a full-scale Lazaro meltdown of forgotten lyrics and missed notes, and the judges will be vaguely positive at him. I predict that everyone else is going to rock some serious fire. Seacrest confirms that, in fact, there will be fire. Lazaro's the only one not smiling as they introduce the Top 6. We're getting Bacharach/David (B/D from here on out) and Songs You Wish You Wrote (WIW), so we're getting 12 performances tonight. Woof.

Angie thinks Trivium (I think?) is hardcore. That's adorable. Or was it Killswitch Engage? Oh who cares, this is the singing thread.

Angie B/D: 9.5/10 Welp, Angie's back! Definitely her best performance of the live rounds so far, and second only to her original number from Hollywood week. Keith's advice was completely inexplicable. And now everyone else is agreeing with him! She sang the poo poo out of it, I definitely thought I heard a connection to the lyrics anyway... then again, the audience is very muted. No boos, just mild applause. Maybe I overrated this one. Whatever, it was great. I'm going to assume the song bored them or something.

I'm gonna just go ahead and not say anything about that Nicki commercial for AT&T. Nor about Amber's gross-rear end eating habits.

Amber B/D: 10+/10 She had no choice but to absolutely destroy this song, as it's basically tailor-made for her voice. And of course she annihilated it. I don't know why you'd wear a pantsuit when you have legs like hers, but I digress. My wife assures me that pantsuits are coming back so I need to get over it. Nicki is apparently shipping the contestants now. Okay! The judges are in rare form tonight, even for them. Time to start drinking, y'all, because it's time for...

Shithead in a Horrible Suit B/D: 0/10 Of course it's pitched to The Lazaro Key, a magical place just outside of his range where he will miss every note, but just barely, and he will fail to find the beat, but just a little, and mushmouth the lyrics utterly. Oh wait, he changed things up on the second verse and completely went off-key. This is one of the worst Idol vocals ever. Ever. Randy savages him and the crowd is stone silent. Mariah actually criticizes a contestant for the first time this season, it takes like 3 hours, and the crowd supports her with applause. Nicki and Randy lose their poo poo completely multiple times. Keith blathers on and Nicki completely abstains from giving feedback and calls for Seacrest and the crowd goes wild! This show is amazing. (edit: Mariah talked for literally 2 minutes, 8 seconds. Unbelievable.)

Things are completely derailed as we come back from commercials and the audience are visibly bored out of their collective mind.

Kree B/D: 10+/10 What the show, needs now - is Kree. Sweet Kree. Just plain perfect. So refreshing and delightful and the audience explodes with relief. This is yet another gem in Kree's season-long cakewalk. Somebody please tranq Mariah because she is ruining the show with her inane babbling. Nicki tries to save things and succeeds. Randy's gone off script and is now completely burying Lazaro. I can't wait until Laz sings again.

Janelle B/D: 6/10 She struggled with the opening bars' cadence and her pitch was far from perfect. This song is a very poor fit for her but she's having fun playing to the crowd. I have a feeling that she's reeling from being in the bottom 2 last week and her confidence looks entirely put-on like the pageant smile she closes the number with, though in strong voice finally. The judges are basically spot-on with their gentle drubbing. Janelle isn't hiding her crestfallen spirit very well.

Candice B/D: 10+++/10 Wow. Wow wow wow. Round one goes to Candice with loving authority. Perhaps her best performance to date, and that's really saying something. Everything was ideal. I just... wow. The judges fall all over themselves to heap the much-deserved praise. Absolutely phenomenal. I pity the little girl who has to follow that grown-rear end-woman masterclass.

Angie WIW: 8.5/10 Of course getting tethered to the piano brings out her best side. I thought her pitch lacked a little definition on the glory notes but this was still very, very good. I didn't really love the song but who cares? She nailed it. The judges love it too, making up for underrating her earlier. Keith also thinks corny slow-mo doves en masse is somehow amazing. Someone get this guy some John Woo movies.

Oh my god Idol please stop trying to embarrass Amber. This isn't middle school.

Amber WIW: 7/10 This wasn't perfect but she clearly had a lot of fun with it. All the shouting did cost her voice a little bit but Beysus is a high bar to clear, to be fair. I think the judges overpraised her a little, but I don't care because she's fantastic and they need to ramp up to demolishing Laz by comparison.

Fuckboob McSingsbad WIW: 2/10 Not one note on pitch. At least this time Lazaro has one friend! Nicki again abstains from judging and everyone else just talks about how good the girls are. This is delicious. I don't even feel bad for him. He stinks on ice and should have been gone a long, long time ago. My wife loves how done with him the judges are. She's right, it's fuckin great.

Kree WIW: 10+/10 Are we 100% sure that Kree didn't write this song? My word. Her storytelling is absolutely divine and the vocal was flawless. Mariah even puts her over her own performance of the song. I'm speechless.

Janelle WIW: 8/10 Janelle goes back to her comfort zone with predictable but fantastic results. Her mic control is still lacking, but I'm probably the only one who cares too much. She did get pretty shaky on her final note, but this was otherwise pretty drat great. At least the crowd woke up to boo Randy for a hot second.

Sorry that my notes are getting shorter. I'm sort of bored silly at this point, as are you all I'm sure. I'm just hoping beyond hope that Candice doesn't do the 311 version of Lovesong and it's filling me with dread.

We're back from commercial and... wait, what?

Keith, what in the world are you doing?!

:tviv: IT'S THE ADELE VERSION :tviv:

Candice WIW: 100+++++/10 Never goddamn mind because it's the goddamn Candice Glover version. That audio hiccup was a little disturbing but it was the only thing about this that wasn't absolutely the best performance on Idol of all time. AND THEN MARIAH loving CAREY WALKED UP TO HER ON STAGE TO SHOWER HER IN MOTHERFUCKING GLITTER. I can't stop laughing and clapping and there isn't a dry eye in this house. Candice just won season 12 y'all. Pack it in. The crowd can't calm down. Post-rundown the judges can't find enough hyperbole to even do it justice.

It's a drat shame that nobody's watching anymore because they missed that. Here's a link so you don't have to.

BEST OF THE NIGHT: Welcome back, Candice!
TOMORROW'S BOTTOM 3: Lazaro, Janelle, and uhhh... Amber? I have no idea.
LAZARO SHOULD GO HOME: Eeeehyup.
WILL GO HOME: Lazaro. I'll go so far as to say they won't even bother letting him sing for the save, a la Paige Miles in season 9. This is particularly hilarious because it's the last week they can use it.

The highs and lows were in strong play tonight, and this is the most fun I've had with an episode in many seasons. See you tomorrow for either the best or worst results show ever!

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 11, 2013

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
My prediction for tonight (since it is Thursday now) is that Lazaro will be okay due to a mix of VTFW (if enough of them still watch it, which I doubt) and the high number of pity votes after the lashing the judges gave him, and one of the girls (probably Janelle) will be in the bottom and the judges will use their save since this is the last week they have it (unless I'm mistaken). I do hope I'm wrong since the Lazaro train stopped a long rear end time ago, but you really never know with this show and their sometimes weird results.

But after this week, if Candice keeps doing as good as she did, I wouldn't be surprised if she and either Kree or Angie (assuming Kree doesn't gently caress up big time and her fanbase keeps her going) are the final two.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 11, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Obeast posted:

My prediction for tonight (since it is Thursday now) is that Lazaro will be okay due to a mix of VTFW (if enough of them still watch it, which I doubt) and the high number of pity votes after the lashing the judges gave him.

The last 3 weeks I would have agreed but at this point he's so clearly outclassed that I expect him to quit if he isn't legitimately eliminated. Honestly.

Obeast posted:

But after this week, if Candice keeps doing as good as she did, I wouldn't be surprised if she and either Kree or Angie (assuming Kree doesn't gently caress up big time and her fanbase keeps her going) are the final two.

I'd say Amber instead of Angie, but otherwise I agree. Kree v. Candice would be the greatest finale in the show's history by a wide loving margin.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Assuming Lazaro gets eliminated (which he should because holy poo poo), has there EVER been this many contestants left that were all one gender?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
This season of AI is incredible in just how enormous a disparity there is between the male and female contestants, and barring something hilarious (and terrible) happening, it'll be kind of weird to see the top 5 be all-female after five straight seasons of a guy handily winning the whole shebang.

Christopher Irvine posted:

The last 3 weeks I would have agreed but at this point he's so clearly outclassed that I expect him to quit if he isn't legitimately eliminated. Honestly.

So he's basically the John Stevens of this season? Will he cry if he's not the lowest vote-getter?!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

xeria posted:

This season of AI is incredible in just how enormous a disparity there is between the male and female contestants, and barring something hilarious (and terrible) happening, it'll be kind of weird to see the top 5 be all-female after five straight seasons of a guy handily winning the whole shebang.

It really is amazing. I feel like it was bound to happen eventually but yeesh.

This might blasphemy, but as amazing as Candice's performance was (and it was) there were times I was thinking "just sing the loving melody instead of riffing on one note for seven seconds."

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 11, 2013

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Welp, I was wrong and Lazaro is indeed gone. You can even tell that he knew his time is up by the way he was acting all giggly and poo poo.

Christopher Irvine posted:

I'd say Amber instead of Angie, but otherwise I agree. Kree v. Candice would be the greatest finale in the show's history by a wide loving margin.
Maybe... I only said Angie because she was one of the early favorites and seems to still has a good amount of momentum going in her favor (especially in the weeks when she's on the piano)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Consider me amazed that the top 5 this season is all girls.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Assuming Lazaro gets eliminated (which he should because holy poo poo), has there EVER been this many contestants left that were all one gender?

The gender disparity is not unprecedented, as S8 was 5:1 guys with Alison Iraheta being the lone girl up to the top 4. It should have been top 3 but Danny Gokey is a horrible monster in league with evil forces beyond our comprehension. Incidentally S1, S3, and last season were 4:2 girls, and S4, S9 and S10 were 4:2 guys.

xeria posted:

So he's basically the John Stevens of this season? Will he cry if he's not the lowest vote-getter?!

Goddamn I hope so.

Results show!!

Lazaro isn't even trying tonight so neither will I. If he had any dignity he would simply walk off-stage and not return. I like the prospect of a Candice/Amber finale after their shared number.

3 groups of 2, huh? Aight then.

Jimmy you so funny.

I like their tacit admission that basically nobody knows what's going on with the Idols maybe a year after their seasons are done. Scotty McCreery now has a grown-up body which is a little strange since his head is still exactly the same.

We've got our pairings in the top, middle, and bottom 2. I've never wanted Amber to be in the bottom 2 more in my life. I'm starting to get a bad feeling about all of this.

Dunkleman acknowledgment! And here comes Kelly. I'll admit that I'm not really buying the lyrical conceit that KC's rocking these days, and the the blacklight-reactive thing seems pretty tired. Once the lights are up it's pretty clear she's going for an optical illusion with her top and it's bumming me out. You don't need that poo poo, just be you! At least Drunk Mariah's here to derail poo poo.

Here we go. I feel sick. Oh look, it's another finale I'd love to see! Kree and Candice are safe of course. THANK loving GOD Lazaro's in the bottom 2 and Amber can get the save.

Idol puts itself live, picture in picture to make sure we all watch all of the commercials. The image is miniature and there's no audio, so nothing is gained from watching. We fast-forwarded.

34 million votes last night (up from 25m last week), and America gets it right. Lazaro must sing poorly for the save. And he actually does a decent job, for him anyway. And of course the save goes unused, and Lazaro's smiles for miles. Like I predicted, he's all too ready to go home.

And just like that, a girl is your winner of a season of American Idol for the first time since Jordin Sparks all the way back in 2007's season 6. It's also the strongest top 5 since the peak of the show in season 5, and you could definitely argue that since we don't have a Paris Bennett or Taylor Hicks in this group, they're pretty clearly better. Every elimination from here on out is going to hurt, but at least we got one last pure and fair vote before things get really tough. Onward to The Voice Battle Rounds!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

xeria posted:

Consider me amazed that the top 5 this season is all girls.

I'm guessing the producers did all they could to ensure a female winner.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

gret posted:

I'm guessing the producers did all they could to ensure a female winner.

It's worth noting at this point that they cut Candice Glover in Hollywood last season, and here we are. Anybody still remember Zoanette? Good times, man.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I'm so relieved Lazaro is gone. Not because I hate Lazaro or anything, but I think it just would have been plain cruel to him to leave him in the competition. I know all the little girls had their crush, but they weren't doing him any favors voting for him. They were essentially just setting him up to be mentally and emotionally eviscerated every week. When he made it over Burnell last week and walked over to the group not one person congratulated him or even acknowledged him, they were all in tears over losing Burnell. He just kind of shuffled over and awkwardly stood there alone off to the side. The last few weeks I think the person most upset to see Lazaro go through was Lazaro.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 12, 2013

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I haven't watched AI regularly since Jordin Sparks won, but in light of recent developments, I'm probably going to be hooked for the rest of this season. From here on out it is surely going to be the most jaw-droppingly amazing the series has ever been.

As a gay man, I most certainly squee'd when I saw the song list for next week:

Candice Glover: "I Have Nothing", "Wind Beneath My Wings"
Kree Harrison: "All By Myself", "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You"
Angie Miller: "Hero", "I'll Stand By You"
Janelle Arthur: "Saving All My Love for You", "If You Don't Know Me By Now"
Amber Holcomb: "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going", "The Power of Love"

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

Kree Harrison: "All By Myself",

If you were to ask me what song I hated more than any other in the universe, to the point I will run screaming from the room so I don't have to hear it, it would be this one. I don't care what golden throated canary sings it, I'll want to cut their vocal cords. I don't know why this song hits my irritation zone so directly but it does.

gandlethorpe posted:

Amber Holcomb: "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going",

Amber is good but I'd rather hear Candice sing this. She'd tear it to shreds and we'd all be going J-Hud, who?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

gandlethorpe posted:

As a gay man, I most certainly squee'd when I saw the song list for next week:

Candice Glover: "I Have Nothing", "Wind Beneath My Wings"
Kree Harrison: "All By Myself", "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You"
Angie Miller: "Hero", "I'll Stand By You"
Janelle Arthur: "Saving All My Love for You", "If You Don't Know Me By Now"
Amber Holcomb: "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going", "The Power of Love"

Hot drat this is going to be fun. Except for Angie singing "Hero". Where'd you find that list?

(PS: updated the OP)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
It was on Wikipedia, but now it's gone. So it might've just been hearsay. :( I hope it's at least partially true.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

No The Voice Battle Rounds posts?

I'm beginning to think that Usher is terrible. I'm only about a third through watching it on DVR delay on the West coast, but he just seems baffled when people don't pick him as a coach (the attempted steal early on). Also, Shakira looks completely different with her hair straightened.

I do like Garrett, I hope he's going through (watching right now).

Edit: winner! :woop:

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 16, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

hollylolly posted:

No The Voice Battle Rounds posts?

I know this is my thread and all but I watch everything time-shifted :negative: Plus my DVR list is so stuffed that I miss the first half hour of The Voice as a rule.

hollylolly posted:

I'm beginning to think that Usher is terrible. I'm only about a third through watching it on DVR delay on the West coast, but he just seems baffled when people don't pick him as a coach (the attempted steal early on).

Well I missed that part, but for me part of the job of a mentor is to be an audience surrogate and I think Ursh does a great job at that, as opposed to Xtina and Cee-Lo who seemed more interested in their own personal reactions.

Judith/Karina holy loving poo poo :stare: Adam made the smarter, more cynical pick but Shakira just got herself a strong contestant, now with a great underdog storyline.

Overall the winners made more sense this season than any other so far, which is a relief to me.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

The Judith/Karina battle was awesome. And I understand how Usher is a good mentor and coach (his "sing me over from across the room" thing was weird though, and then encouraging the poor 16 yr old to touch his face while singing to him was uncomfortable), but I feel personally his ego is pretty inflated. And not in a fun way like Blake pulling out his awards, because Blake always cracks jokes at his own expense.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Adam's country opener could not have been less engaging. I'd have sent them both home to save a space for someone more deserving. Ditto Team Roxanne and their embarrassing patois.

After tonight I totally get what you're saying about Usher's self-seriousness, hollylolly. And yeah, it's off-putting.

It's pretty obvious that someone's going to try to steal their own contestant after a battle. I doubt they allow it, though it'd be a lot of fun.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

The "oh here are some other battles" fast-forward bit in the middle was weird, but I like Blake's "bluntry" chick so I'm glad she stayed. And Danielle blew my mind, I just love her to death. :3: I'm glad Adam got the steal on the other girl. YES, I am rooting against Usher. Shakira is cool, she can replace Xtina but I miss CeeLo. :colbert:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

hollylolly posted:

I miss CeeLo. :colbert:

Same.

Probable Idol song spoilers follow:

VFTW or whatever posted:

Divas
Candice Glover – “”When You Believe” by Mariah Carey & Whitney Houston
Amber Holcomb – “Without You” by Badfinger/Mariah Carey
Angela Miller – “Halo” by Beyoncé
Kree Harrison – Will sing a Celine Dion song
Janelle Arthur – “Dumb Blonde” by Dolly Parton

Birth Year
Kree Harrison – “She Talks to Angels” by Black Crowes (1990)
Candice Gover - “Straight Up” by Paula Abdul (1989)
Amber Holcomb – “What Are You Doing The Rest of Your Life” by Michael Dees/Barbara Streisand (1994)
Janelle Arthur – “When I Call Your Name” by Vince Gill (1989)
Angela Miller – “I’ll Stand By You” by The Prentenders (1994)

So this is uhm going to be a thing that I well and if you CANDICE WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU SINGING THOSE SONGS

KREE I JUST well okay Black Crowes suits you but CANDICE :psyboom:

Angie's coming out of this the frontrunner based on song selection alone with Janelle a close second. Dammit gandlethorpe your unsubstantiated song list was so much more ideal. Also Amber's probably gone after this week. What a shame.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I'm really hoping your list is the wrong one. Or that Candice worked some magic and flipped those songs to be completely different because I'm as baffled as you. Straight Up? Really?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I have faith in Candice anyway :colbert:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Blake's team is awful.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I think Blake is going straight country this year (in his battles he's been picking the country artists). Last season his team was pretty diverse. I don't know if this strategy is going to work well for him.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Top 5 night. Unprecedented gender disparity abounds! America has made the right call for the entire run of voting rounds! The ratings are ticking UP?! Yo. Something's in the air dawg! I'm both excited and fearful, because if the song spoilers I posted earlier are any indication, this could be a bit underwhelming. But if things do the way I hope they do, this will be an electric night.

Our twin themes are the purposefully imprecise Songs From the Year You Were Born (SYB) and the gleefully amorphous Divas (D). The latter has probably been gathering dust in the Idol idea book since the Season 3 finale.

Obviously Candice is going first after last week's masterclass.

Candice (SYB): 8/10 Somebody botched the live cue something fierce. Good thing Candice is less of an Idol contestant and more of a force of nature because even the world's worst hand-camming isn't about to derail Ms Glover when school's in session. Let's not tiptoe: "Straight Up" is a pretty terrible song. She did the most fun thing she could have possibly done and executed it without any tuning issues and didn't overdo it. But it couldn't transcend the source material, for me. Still - very impressive.

Unless the judges do something interesting or funny I'm going to mostly ignore them tonight. There are only so many ways to express that Mariah can gently caress off up a tall tree, and I think I just used the last one just now.

Oh poo poo, Jimmy the Dick's giving live feedback! Smart move, producers. He proves he's not all bullshit as he's spot on about Candice's poor song choice.

Janelle (SYB): 9/10 She picks Vince Gill's "When I Call Your Name" because duh. She's back in her wheelhouse and delivers my favorite vocal of hers this season. There weren't any dropped phrases and being anchored resolved her mic control. This is probably just confirmation bias from how thrilled I am about this top 5 but goddamn is this performance show coming strong out the gate tonight. Keith gives a carefully considered (and yet incorrect) critique and the crowd and Mariah poo poo all over him. It's great.

We fastfowarded past most of Jimmy's feedback and I didn't bother to rewind but I'll say based on the last 5 seconds that he was wrong.

Kree (SYB): 6/10 She crossover-countrified a song that needed absolutely zero retooling for her to cover successfully, even excellently. It felt completely neutered and blasé, and even a little calculated (aw crap Mariah agrees with me). I keep scratching my head as to why no one's telling her to forget about the country thing and just embrace her inner Joplin because if she just put some stank on it she'd be unstoppable. Bit of a bump in the road for Kree.

I was annoyed by Mariah and so was Nicki, who dismisses her with a "SIMMER DOWN, SIR!" that woke the audience right up. They've been teasing the conflict between the two women judges since summer, and now I guess we're baying for blood.

Angie (SYB): 7/10 Another live production issue. Angie came thisclose to completely dropping a lyric at one point. I'm not sure why they pitched up "I'll Stand By You" so high, but she was able to sing it, clearly. So let's talk about the important stuff, shall we? I appreciate her wanting to dedicate the song to her hometown given recent events. But whomever was responsible for the doors opening up and the fog stairs to heaven being front-and-center is a cynical rear end in a top hat. Angie's better than that and doesn't need that kind of help.

Amber's baby stankface totally brings me out of my funk. And her dress is stunning.

Amber (SYB): 3/10 Oof. Her phrasing was questionable at best, and I don't love "Without You" in the first place. I'm guessing her nerves got the better of her, what with trying to do a Mariah copycat performance with her being right there, but... and I hate to say this because I love Amber, but this was just plain bad. Her pitch was off by a mile especially on her big notes. This also exposed her lower register as being nearly nonexistent. Given that she hasn't had a lot of support from the Idol voters, this does not bode well for her chances tomorrow night.

Oh my GOD Keith's publicist's head just exploded when he cried out "WE'VE GOT AN AMBER ALERT!!" Expect a sincere apology tomorrow. Meanwhile, Jimmy's gone deaf as he calls Amber the second-best of round one. I give it to Janelle, unexpectedly.

Candice (D): 10/10 Goddamn this song is poo poo. But as usual, Candice acquits herself of the choice marvelously and blows the roof off the Idoldome on "When You Believe". She's just the best. I'm going to have a hard time watching the finale if she isn't there, and I'm going to be disappointed if she doesn't win. Then again, I said the same thing about Melinda Doolittle back in season 6 and look how that turned out.

Janelle (D): 2/10 The live camerawork was laughable, but then again so was Janelle's primarily shout-sung vocal. Maybe this was really faithful to the original, which is a song I have never heard, but really that just speaks to how lovely of a song choice "Dumb Blonde" was. The pyro was completely uncalled-for and distractingly loud. Looks like VFTW picked the right pony after all. The judges are too kind, probably since she had such a strong first round. Nicki does a spot-on Idol-judge-Mariah-Carey impression to put the cherry on top.

I found the Parton original on YouTube at this point and I can now confirm that no, Janelle's version was not a clear and faithful cover. It was just horrible.

Kree (D): 8/10 I didn't know that Kree could do such a good Celine Dion impression! Unfortunately what that skill creates is merely elevated karaoke. Milktoast love songs aren't going to showcase her storytelling, which is her strongest suit. She sang the poo poo out of it, don't get me wrong, but it was ultimately unremarkable. There was nothing country about this at all, insofar as there really wasn't much of anything about it. Nicki finally says what I've been going on about for weeks and I beam in the validation.

We haven't seen Jimmy the Dick this round, which is just as well since they were letting the crowd boos be louder than him anyway.

Angie (D): 9.5/10 Surprising no one, Angie can't really do the diva thing since she's a humble little teenager. It's sort of endearing though. The vocal was absolutely on point. Also her dress was amazing. I thought she overshot a little with her song choice but she took care of business. In a season with Candice present there's no shame in a silver medal, really.

We're running short on time, but not short enough to stop Amber from running down all the awards Babs has won.

Amber (D): 10+++/10 I'm guessing several people on the camera and live production staff are going to be looking for work after tonight's debacle. I don't really need a shot of the orchestra when Amber's trying to emote, thanks. Oh right, Amber! I should probably lead with the fact that with "What Are You Doing For the Rest of Your Life" she just had the best vocal of the night by far, and maybe her best of the season. This was a genius way to make us forget how bad she was during round 1. Plus, she closed the show! If this doesn't keep her out of the bottom 2, I don't know what will.

This was a bizarre night. Kree had easily her weakest showing of the season. Amber had the second-worst vocal of the night but closed with the clear best and Janelle had the opposite trajectory, winning round 1 and making GBS threads the bed for round 2. Angie was at least consistent, and Candice continued her season-long showcase. One thing that stuck out to me was that Candice does seem unbeatable at this point given the inconsistencies from the other 4 girls. It's hard to call, but here I go.

BEST OF THE NIGHT: She may not have won either round outright but Candice had the best night overall.
TOMORROW'S BOTTOM 2: Amber and Kree
SHOULD GO HOME: Nobody. But if I have to choose, Janelle.
WILL GO HOME: Nobody. The save is still in play and will be used. They each deserve it.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

VOICECHAT

Usher is more interesting to watch as a coach because he is honestly trying to bring different things out of the artists instead of, "stand, sing, repeat"

His major failing is he clearly isn't drinking on stage like Adam and Blake are.

Also I think Blake is a moron for keeping that lovely duo instead of the guy that was a lot more engaging.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Schiavona posted:

VOICECHAT

Usher is more interesting to watch as a coach because he is honestly trying to bring different things out of the artists instead of, "stand, sing, repeat"

His major failing is he clearly isn't drinking on stage like Adam and Blake are.

Also I think Blake is a moron for keeping that lovely duo instead of the guy that was a lot more engaging.

Maybe keeping the duo was a bad decision, but I am pretty interested in seeing how a duo does in the knockout rounds! I thought maybe one would make it through Battles this year but I thought Blake would have his twins go through. Heck, he still might, they were pretty fantastic. I really like the other duo also - are they on Shakira's team? The folk ones. I thought they were great, and with the current commercial successes of acts like Mumford and Sons, etc, they could do really well in the knock out rounds I think.

I think it takes a little bit of gambling to put a duo through over a single voice. The concept hasn't been tested at the America Votes stage of the show and now it will be. Still, maybe Blake should cut back on the booze a little this year. ;)

Usher still rubs me the wrong way, and calling it self-seriousness is spot on. It isn't overt, but his demeanor is just a bit off compared to the other judges who are clearly having more fun than he is.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

hollylolly posted:

I think Blake is going straight country this year (in his battles he's been picking the country artists). Last season his team was pretty diverse. I don't know if this strategy is going to work well for him.
Yeah he's clearly going straight country and that's just so stupid. It's not gonna work. If they repeat last season's format then he won't even sniff the top 3. He got rid of the guy who lost to the duo (the duo was AWFUL. AWFUL.) and kept Danielle over the girl that wisely chose Adam over Usher because of a secretive "what I am trying to do this season". God, what awful choices.

Also, I enjoy the dynamic Usher brings to the table. I totally understand and agree with the criticism and I think spiritually Shakira is replacing Cee-Lo and Usher is replacing Christina. The difference is Christina was somewhat boring and probably bored herself, while Usher is actually trying to get more than just singing out of his contestants. He wants them to be superstars like Bieber. I don't know how well that's going to work out in the end, but it is very interesting to watch.

Though I bet that Roxanne battle made Usher regret pairing those two together. They both should've been eliminated.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Regarding Blake, I think his obvious "well, it's a tie to me so I'll go with the country singer" tactic this season is going to hurt him next season as well, because non-country singers will get gunshy and feel less secure picking him. We'll be back to Blake losing contestants to the other judges when he's trying to win singers in the Blinds.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Idol results time, sort of! Since it's pretty obvious they're going to use the save and make next week a double elimination, I'm thinking this will be a very short post.

Props to whomever in the audience got that "SIMMER DOWN SIR" glitter poster on live television.

Lip-synch medley with boy dancers is maybe a nod to the sagging ratings. "She Works Hard for the Money" is such a jaunty little ditty about prostitution, isn't it? Family television y'all.

Maybe I'm just too competitive but why bother following each other? Oh, there I go overthinking product placement again. At the reveal I said "Oh gently caress OFF Mr Schue" mostly because I couldn't remember his name.

Okay Paula showing up was a pretty cool moment. It's no Mariah Carey glitter shower, but it's neat. Plus she's apparently completely lucid, shockingly. And then it goes on too long, because it's an Idol Results Hour Shitacular.

Hi there Clay. No new material? That's cool!

A message from Dolly Parton for Janelle! After Paula's surprise appearance this is pretty underwhelming.

I'm sure she's happy about the exposure but I kinda felt bad for LaToya London being used as a transition to a live performance from Fantasia. She couldn't have been allowed a number? It's not like we don't have time. Fantasia of course did her Fantasia thing and it's all sort of impressive but then they showed Keith grooving to the song and it became real special. I wish I had a .gif something fierce.

Candice is the first one safe! I'm always endeared by her surprise at being safe, but only because it doesn't seem put-on at all. Angie's just happy. And Amber's safe!! Holy poo poo that's good news.

Kree's safe, Amber's singing for survival. No mention is made of how long the save is active. The judges aren't talking too much either. Janelle's not sounding great but that's mostly the arrangement. I just realized a final 4 that had 2 people advancing to the finale and 2 going home is pretty exciting, but I really don't see them not using the save.

Oh poo poo my DVR cut off the results! Good thing we watch Glee for no good reason!

They don't save Janelle?! Huh. Maybe this is some sort of swipe at VFTW? I doubt it since they're not even vaguely relevant anymore.

Well that was anticlimactic, but also the right move I guess. There are still 4 weeks of shows scheduled, right? I know they're ending a week earlier than they planned, but that's been true since February. So, unless they want a 3-woman finale then we're getting a save next week no matter what happens. And we're not going to get a three-contestant finale. See you after The Voice!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I was actually a little surprised they brought back Paula tonight. It seems like they never (or rarely ever) mention or show any clips of the old judges.

In terms of the results, I'm not very surprised that Janelle got the boot. She was leagues better than the guys, but compared to the other four girls, she was definitely one of the weakest.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Okay I kinda stumbled over my words and logic a little bit, so let me explain again.

There are 4 weeks of Idol left on the schedule, and 4 contestants left. This creates a bit of a wrinkle since they can't fulfill their obligations without a save being used, and there being no double elimination the next week. That or they wrap things up a week early, which seems impossible since they've probably already booked the guest performers, the venue for the finale, etc. I also sincerely doubt we'll see reruns for 3 hours of Fox primetime to give the crew a week off before the finale. I can't think of any other possibilities beyond those.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that they do Idol Gives Back next week with no-one going home, and things get back to normal for the rest of the season. No matter what happens, it's pretty hilarious.

Obeast posted:

I was actually a little surprised they brought back Paula tonight. It seems like they never (or rarely ever) mention or show any clips of the old judges.

You aren't kidding. I barely remember that Kara Dioguardi and Ellen DeGeneres were ever judges, though I wish I didn't.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 19, 2013

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
X Factor News: Khloe Kardashian isn't coming back to host the X Factor, leaving Mario Lopez to go host the show solo. Given that nobody will likely watch the X Factor to begin with, this will likely affect nobody except the staff on the show.

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

This is amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW4lUbiK13A

Judith Hill and Karina Iglesias from The Voice (here in their hotel room), performing "It's a man's world" in Spanish and Japanese. Watch out for a surprise Midas Whale in the background.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Stellar Curiosity posted:

This is amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW4lUbiK13A

Judith Hill and Karina Iglesias from The Voice (here in their hotel room), performing "It's a man's world" in Spanish and Japanese. Watch out for a surprise Midas Whale in the background.

That is so cool!

I think I am in love with Midas Whale. :blush: They are awesome! I'm really shocked that two duos have made it through, though. I think those sisters are going to have to really screw up for Blake not to put them through, as well. It's the season of the Duo!

Usher Status: Likeable

Copacabana
Apr 6, 2010

There was blood and a single gunshot, but just who shot who?

hollylolly posted:

Usher Status: Likeable

I agree, I'm really fond of Usher. He's arrogant and sometimes a dick, but from what I've seen of him, he puts a lot of effort into trying to improve his contestants. It seems like tough love to me. Every other judge is like "hey you're cool and you're amazing and just go out there and be you, man" because they've already picked their favorites. They're nice and entertaining and fun to watch, but they don't want to put in the kind of effort that it requires to teach someone to be a star. They just don't want to hurt their feelings either.

Usher is like "no, gently caress that, and gently caress you. Everyone here is amazing, so if you don't move past that your success will be a crap shoot, you stand a good chance of getting voted off, and then you've got nothing but everyone's kind words. I need you to give me more, because what you're giving me is not enough to guarantee success. Here is exactly what I need from you, step it up." And he's absolutely right. He's taking it seriously, and it hurts feelings and it's not always what you want to hear, but it's what some of these contestants need to hear in order to be competitive. He does this even with the people that aren't expected to get very far, because he's trying to give that chance for success to those who take it seriously and work to earn it.

Usher is rough around the edges but he pushes his contestants to succeed, and the only reason he'd do that is if he actually cared. He was annoying during the blind auditions, but he's becoming my favorite pretty quickly. :swoon:

Copacabana fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Disappointed that they let the really cool sounding Memphis guy go while Usher saved that Perkins kid

Memphis guy was totally worth a save :(

bub spank fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 24, 2013

• Locked thread