Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Also 5 seconds of Internet sleuthing suggests that's not an actual poster for the game - presumably it's the work of a fan (maybe Greg Brown himself). Pretty cool looking though.

edit: or it's made with a stock photo but still real. I don't know what to believe. gently caress Greg Brown.

edit #2: Yeah, it's official. Sweet!

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Stock composite or no, that cover art is loving beautiful.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

That is so cool!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
The current graphics, (Which i adore, homeworld :swoon: ) are they mostly placeholder? I've got a few friends who love the concept but hate the art.

I mean, their lack of taste aside :colbert:, i am curious as to if its still early assets or if this is the intended art direction.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
It's one dude so I think this is pretty much what's going to happen, which I do not mind in the slightest because it is gorgeous. Screw your friends.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Benagain posted:

Screw your friends.

This, a million times this, zoom out to a tactical planning view, make a few course corrections, then zoom back into your cockpit and still more of this.

If the graphics are really going to introduce a divide, and the developer actually cares about such folk (which he shouldn't if the gameplay stands on its own and still looks great), he could leave it open to modding. That way, those dudes can have their giant Hubble telescope nebular skyboxes and leprously begreebled starships that show up in every other video game set in space.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Personally, I think the game is loving beautiful. I don't really care for hyper-realism though, I mean it's alright and all, but I prefer art that's not ashamed of being art instead of pretending to be something it's not. Each to their own though, I know a lot of people just can't go there for some reason.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I would be pretty happy if this game did have modding abilities, even though I like the designs of the ships so far.

I mean, just imagine if you could replace everything with Homeworld 1/2 models. :allears:

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
The cover art is amazing and reminds me of those old 70s, 80s sci-fi book covers.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

I want this poster loving yesterday.

e: this is much too great for mere timg tags.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Shadowmorn posted:

The current graphics, (Which i adore, homeworld :swoon: ) are they mostly placeholder? I've got a few friends who love the concept but hate the art.

I mean, their lack of taste aside :colbert:, i am curious as to if its still early assets or if this is the intended art direction.
The creator has talked about potentially doing a Kickstarter to hire an artist but there has been no news on that front and given that he's started texturing some stuff you might think that he'll end up doing the art himself. We'll have to see.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
My day just got a thousand times better now that I realized this game exists :3:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
It blows my mind that one person could be this talented, I hope everything turns out as well as it looks.

Also Nthing the desire to throw money at this.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Man I remember when this thread appeared and how nonplussed I was. Now? :stare:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

:aaaaa::gizz: Welp, this just confirmed how much I love this guy's art direction. :aaaaa::gizz:

I love that old-school 80s sci-fi art, and that tag-line is amazing.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The graphics are not amazing but work very well. I look forward to playing this when he is done with it. There has been a giant lack of first person space shooters for a long time now.

JoaoLangston
Jul 24, 2006
That poster. :stare: Who the hell designed it? I want to commission that artist. Does anyone have ideas who the artist was for that poster?

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

JoaoLangston posted:

That poster. :stare: Who the hell designed it? I want to commission that artist. Does anyone have ideas who the artist was for that poster?

twitter posted:

It was painted by the amazing @janeemeadows.

Here's her site.
http://janeemeadows.com/

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I'm sad this isn't out yet. I also love the graphics the way they are.

F hole
May 13, 2008

I'm assuming the fighting is going to take place without an atmosphere which is kind of a bummer to me. As somebody who used to play a lot of combat flight simulators I think adding stuff like drag and gravity make it more interesting in terms of tactics and maneuvers.

In a way though it removes advantages and levels the playing field for everybody. You won't have some guy with a huge altitude advantage dive you repeatedly without being able to do anything about it. Either way I'm definitely going to be playing this when it comes out.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

God, when? When can I play this

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Have they said anything about multiplayer? I mean I'm totally fine if they don't have it but if there was a co-op campaign option I'd be "buy multiple copies and force my friends to play it"-level fine

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
We haven't heard anything. The game would have to change a bit to accommodate it: right now you outfit every ship and plan every attack, which is tough in multiplayer, and it looks like you can pause any time and pull out to the tactical view, which also wouldn't work with other players. It also has permadeath for your ships and your pilot so the dynamic would be a little different in multiplayer where presumably dying in a ship wouldn't knock you out of the game.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I can't decide if I like the simplistic art style from the earlier updates or the more detailed ones more, I really can't decide. I'm really hoping that there is some kind of toggle to switch between the two graphics modes when it is finally released.

Is that really easy to implement? Please tell me that he could do it in 20 seconds before the game launches.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Don Gato posted:

I can't decide if I like the simplistic art style from the earlier updates or the more detailed ones more, I really can't decide. I'm really hoping that there is some kind of toggle to switch between the two graphics modes when it is finally released.

Is that really easy to implement? Please tell me that he could do it in 20 seconds before the game launches.

I believe all he has changed in the current batch of gifs are the skybox. Of which there will be quite a few.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ambient lighting is darker to match the skybox as well.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

tehsid posted:

I believe all he has changed in the current batch of gifs are the skybox. Of which there will be quite a few.
The carrier with the texture is, I think, the direction the whole game is moving in - I took it Don Gato was talking about leaving everything as flat shaded shapes.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

We haven't heard anything. The game would have to change a bit to accommodate it: right now you outfit every ship and plan every attack, which is tough in multiplayer, and it looks like you can pause any time and pull out to the tactical view, which also wouldn't work with other players. It also has permadeath for your ships and your pilot so the dynamic would be a little different in multiplayer where presumably dying in a ship wouldn't knock you out of the game.

Well pre-mission could be handled by giving the host sole control there, but yeah I hadn't considered mid mission pausing, that could get tedious. Also I had pictured the permadeath as for the pilot+ship the player was "possessing" at the time (even in singleplayer) , so, yeah, less feasible than I was originally thinking

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I really hope they offer prints or hi-res versions of that poster because that needs to be on my wall yesterday.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

RentACop posted:

Well pre-mission could be handled by giving the host sole control there, but yeah I hadn't considered mid mission pausing, that could get tedious. Also I had pictured the permadeath as for the pilot+ship the player was "possessing" at the time (even in singleplayer) , so, yeah, less feasible than I was originally thinking
My dream is that if this doesn't have multiplayer (which is the likely outcome based on my wild guessing), the game does well enough to merit a multiplayer sequel or addon or something. Coop in the campaign would be sweet, PvP fleet battles would be pretty sweet too. I don't think there has ever really been a game where I could order my wing of bombers to take out my opponent's carrier while I lead my fighter wing in an attack run on their frigate. Or something. Oh man, I shouldn't make myself too excited. Just keeping my excitement in check with respect to what already exists is hard.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
The developer posts on these very forums... But I have no idea of how account name. I may hit him up on twitter to see if he can dive in here and give us some insite.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

adamantium|wang posted:

I want this poster loving yesterday.

e: this is much too great for mere timg tags.

That is beautiful in ways I cannot describe. All the right old sci-fi buttons were hit.

I guess that is what I get for ignoring this game for so long.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

My dream is that if this doesn't have multiplayer (which is the likely outcome based on my wild guessing), the game does well enough to merit a multiplayer sequel or addon or something. Coop in the campaign would be sweet, PvP fleet battles would be pretty sweet too. I don't think there has ever really been a game where I could order my wing of bombers to take out my opponent's carrier while I lead my fighter wing in an attack run on their frigate. Or something. Oh man, I shouldn't make myself too excited. Just keeping my excitement in check with respect to what already exists is hard.

You can do this in FreeSpace 2 Open, along with a bunch of other crazy stuff (a few players as a co-op team, another player as a 'GM' with an RTS view and the ability to spawn enemies) but unfortunately nobody plays FreeSpace 2 multiplayer.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

General Battuta posted:

You can do this in FreeSpace 2 Open, along with a bunch of other crazy stuff (a few players as a co-op team, another player as a 'GM' with an RTS view and the ability to spawn enemies) but unfortunately nobody plays FreeSpace 2 multiplayer.
I didn't know that! I played a couple FSO missions in coop with one of my friends but I didn't know it had versus. I should've guessed that FSO would have whatever space sim thing I desired though.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Speaking of Freespace Open, I would suggest this mod for it that has some tactical gameplay in its own right: http://www.moddb.com/mods/windmills

It's the first thing I thought of when I saw this project, actually.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

If only 13-year-old me could see this. gently caress this looks amazing.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Hey guys, HaydenP said I should stop lurking and post so here I am!

Thanks for checking out the game. I take everyone's feedback (good and especially bad) pretty seriously, so thanks for telling me what you think. To answer a couple questions:

• No multiplayer (at least for 1.0). I wish. I soooo wish. I do some pretty heinous stuff to the Unity engine to get these large distances to work well with floating point error. I know it's been solved in other places like X-Wing vs. TIE, Allegiance, and even FS2 but it's just me and I'm not even a very good programmer.
  • Yes, graphics are simple and often suck but I'm still working on core gameplay. It does me no good to spend a huge amount of time on a ship only to change its hard points or realize that, "yeah I really want a hangar on this ship." I won't make any more excuses for them as it's not like I'm a great artist either. :) But I want the game to be generally colorful with strong contrasting forms to make gameplay easy to read (not to mention stand out among all the other awesome space games coming out soon). The game is sort of part RTS/RTT so readability is even more important than normal.

There will be historic/simulator missions which will evolve from my test missions, and they will probably be finished first. They are just one-off scenarios where I give you control of a fighter group and one or two capital ships (if any), and see how well you can do. Then once I get everything in those up to an acceptable level of polish, I'll shift back to the campaign.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Well, now I'm even more excited.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kairo posted:

[*]Yes, graphics are simple and often suck but I'm still working on core gameplay. It does me no good to spend a huge amount of time on a ship only to change its hard points or realize that, "yeah I really want a hangar on this ship." I won't make any more excuses for them as it's not like I'm a great artist either. :) But I want the game to be generally colorful with strong contrasting forms to make gameplay easy to read (not to mention stand out among all the other awesome space games coming out soon). The game is sort of part RTS/RTT so readability is even more important than normal.

This is definitely a good thing- all the screenshots have been showing that it's totally a game where less is more. If you haven't played Homeworld 1, watch some videos and you'll see how the simple designs help it look good (it aged way better than the space games that pile on detail) and make recognizing which ship is which quick very easy.

I seriously cannot wait to play this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is definitely a good thing- all the screenshots have been showing that it's totally a game where less is more. If you haven't played Homeworld 1, watch some videos and you'll see how the simple designs help it look good (it aged way better than the space games that pile on detail) and make recognizing which ship is which quick very easy.

I seriously cannot wait to play this.

I love the Homeworld games! I think I skipped a week of class in college just to play the drat game when it came out (drat I'm old). My copy of Spacecraft, 2000-2100 A.D.: Terran Trade Authority Handbook should be arriving any day now. This book, along with Chris Foss's, evidently inspired a lot of their designs.

I think their beautiful art style was dictated quite heavily by function which I really respect. Things like mostly-convex and simple ship shapes prevent things like z-fighting from happening. It's funny because I always wondered why the capital ships didn't have the trails, but as I am making my game I start to see why. It's because if you have a ship turn to broadside another or strafe, the trails look really weird.

But those artists are gods and I hope Hardware makes them all rich.

• Locked thread