Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

BoonyPC posted:

Plain old tap water is the best. Bottled water if I have too or need some new bottles to fill from the tap!

Truth. This and coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
Tea. Specifically this kind,

1 teaspoon sugar and loads of milk, please!

(also not the gross American version of this, IT IS NOT SAME :argh:)

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

In the Winter, hot chocolate. Most kinds/flavours are acceptable, but honestly, I could just drink it all day long, if only to keep me warm.

The rest of the time, either Pepsi Max or Rockstar Xdurance. It's supposedly blueberry flavoured, but I swear to god, it tastes more like purple grape. Since purple grape fizzy drinks have never really taken off in the UK, and I love the stuff almost as much as I love caffeine, it strikes an excellent balance for me.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex
I love mineral water. At some point I tried it instead of soda and it stuck. Sometimes I put vanilla extract in it and give the bottle a little shake.
If I want something sweet, I usually go with this stuff:

Except for if I'm at the deli around the corner from my office, because it's the only place in the city I've found that carries Sprecher sodas.

Their cream soda tastes like honey. It's amazing.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
The first is Coca Cola, unless I'm in a country where they use HFCS rather than sugar. Then I can't stand the stuff.

My other one is a somewhat obscure one that I found out about whilst helping with a catering job, namely Mangajo Acai Berry and Green Tea. The stuff is beyond delicious.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Another Reed's product that's pretty good is China Cola. Uses lots of real herbs.

tehspiekguy
Aug 13, 2002
Press X to flip tehspiekguy

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Blenheim's with the red cap. Super-spicy ginger ale. I'm afraid now that I've moved countries I'll never see it again. :(
gold cap (for wusses) and the real stuff:

:911:

WHERE THE HELL DO YOU FIND THIS. TELL ME YOUR SECRETS.

Seriously, I need this stuff to make Pimm's cups. No other ginger ale will do, it doesn't have the right spice. A Pimm's cup made with this stuff is just perfect, a bit of spice like a bloody mary but still sweet and refreshing. I got one at a bar and had to get the name of the ginger ale and it's that stuff. Can't find it at ANY specialty shops here in Raleigh, NC.

Also, for content, horchata is pretty awesome and I have to get some any time I get Mexican food.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
This stuff right here.

gently caress you Coke. Seriously. gently caress. You. :(

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Mexican aguas frescas in general are some of the best things you can drink. Horchata's already been mentioned but my two favorites are probably tamarindo and chia. Incidentally tamarindo is also the flavor of my favorite soda, this stuff:

Aside from that I recently tried Prometheus Springs Pomegranate Black Pepper just because it looked interesting while I was browsing at a local whole foods type place. That was pretty good, in addition to the pomegranate and black pepper flavor it has capsaicin extract in it so it's got a nice bite to it, seems like it would make a good mixer.

SNOOP CATTE
Oct 14, 2012

Take that, you stupid cat!
Gotta be YooHoo. So rich!

Horchata is a close second but I gotta give props to my chocolate drank.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Joe Der Maus posted:

Except for if I'm at the deli around the corner from my office, because it's the only place in the city I've found that carries Sprecher sodas.

Their cream soda tastes like honey. It's amazing.

Sprecher in general doesn't gently caress around. As a kid, I used to do keg stands with their rootbeer. It was a family tradition. Their Ginger Ale is also wonderfully ginger-y. Not as hardcore as some Jamaican ones but it is still pretty intense.

Violating the spirit of the thread, their black bavarian is also quite good.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
No love for the good old Ribena? I used to work at a British import shop, and man those things go down smooth.

Course, you can't find them anywhere outside of import shops.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

Jacks_Colon posted:

I don't know how many people will agree with me, but I wish so very much that this could have been a permanently distributed flavor.

Me too :( Lime and Anise work so well together.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

When I was in California, I found Bawls root beer in a similar bottle. Good stuff!

Vernor's ginger ale. Makes non regular drinkers
Sneeze or choke, at least with the older stuff.

Birch beer, lots like root beer, but not the same.

Loganberry drink. A hybrid blackberry non-carbonated beverage.

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

tehspiekguy posted:

Seriously, I need this stuff to make Pimm's cups. No other ginger ale will do, it doesn't have the right spice. A Pimm's cup made with this stuff is just perfect, a bit of spice like a bloody mary but still sweet and refreshing. I got one at a bar and had to get the name of the ginger ale and it's that stuff. Can't find it at ANY specialty shops here in Raleigh, NC.

Blenheim is available at South of the Border, the tacky yet awesome tourist trap on the way to Myrtle Beach. Apparently South of the Border owns the company, so it might even be exclusive to there. I don't think I've seen it elsewhere, anyway.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

tehspiekguy posted:

The Blenheim's website claims you can buy it at Cole’s Produce Patch- here's their number to double check. 919.828.6898
I'm afraid in Canada I'll never see it again. :sigh:

Starblind posted:

Blenheim is available at South of the Border, the tacky yet awesome tourist trap on the way to Myrtle Beach. Apparently South of the Border owns the company, so it might even be exclusive to there. I don't think I've seen it elsewhere, anyway.

The Blenheim's company and South of the Border are indeed owned by the same people, but it's not exclusive to there (even though I picked up half a dozen bottles last time I passed through). My dad works with a lot of restaurant distributors and it was always awesome to come home to a case of this stuff once or twice a year. Here's a list of retailers from the website, primarily in NC and SC, but spanning the country. http://www.blenheimgingerale.com/store-locator/

uranium grass has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Jan 30, 2013

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

I'm interested in trying Horchata, but the two people I know who've tried it (suburban Georgia, really open minded folks) said it tastes like sweetened ball sweat. But everything I read about it makes it sound like the nectar of the gods. What does horchata taste like to you guys? I understand it can have a ton of variety from place to place though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The stuff I'm familiar with (SW USA and California) tastes a bit like watery soy milk with cinnamon in it, and it's very slightly gritty. I like it.

I understand that it does indeed vary a lot depending on who's making it, but I've never understood why people think it tastes bad. Odd maybe, if you're only used to soda pop and kool-aid, but certainly not bad. The family guy episode where they make a joke about horchata being vacuumed-up street vomit made no sense to me.

Ballin Stalin
Dec 29, 2009

by Lowtax

Starbucks' Chai Tea Latte, yeah yeah!

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

I'm interested in trying Horchata, but the two people I know who've tried it (suburban Georgia, really open minded folks) said it tastes like sweetened ball sweat. But everything I read about it makes it sound like the nectar of the gods. What does horchata taste like to you guys? I understand it can have a ton of variety from place to place though.

Those people must've had fake horchata sold at gas stations from the soda fountain (not that those are bad, either, to be honest).

Yes, it truly is like the nectar of the gods. It's very sweet, creamy, and cinnamon-y, sometimes with almonds and/or vanilla. Real Mexican horchata will take overnight to make due to soaking the rice. Drink it and never stop. Above all, I find it very refreshing!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

There are two different kinds of horchata*: real and fake. The fake stuff is a powder that you buy at the store and reconstitute in water (or whatever you want). It does a pretty good job at capturing the idea of horchata but, you know, you sorta have to like it to want to drink it. The other stuff is made from scratch and awesome!

Unless nobody buys it and it starts to ferment. Which may happen in Georgia.

*There are more but in the US, the vast majority will fall into one of these two camps.**

**I really like hearing myself talk. You probably shouldn't listen to me.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

stereobreadsticks posted:

Mexican aguas frescas in general are some of the best things you can drink. Horchata's already been mentioned but my two favorites are probably tamarindo and chia.

I love aguas frescas! Horchata, pineapple or pina colada, and jamaica (hibiscus, like a flowery fruit punch flavor) are my stand-bys at little divey Mexican restaurants. However, on a recent trip to San Jose, California, I had the best agua fresca ever at a restaurant called La Victoria. ( http://www.lavicsj.com/LaVictoria.html ) It was strawberry-pineapple, and it was full of real chunks of both fruits. It was one of the tastiest and most refreshing drinks I've ever had, with some of the best Mexican food I've ever had.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Odds are most of the drinks mentioned here can be found at Jungle Jim's International Market in Fairfield, Ohio.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Odds are most of the drinks mentioned here can be found at Jungle Jim's International Market in Fairfield, Ohio.

I'll see your market aisle and raise you an entire soda store:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbh6Ru7VVM

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

TerminalSaint posted:

I fold.

Sassafras root beer, that's a sign of a dang good selection! :cool:

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Coffee. It's my favorite drug ever, and I've done a lot of drugs.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I drink an insane amount of mineral water (grapefruit-flavored La Croix by preference, or this really punitive Romanian brand called Borsec that tastes like rocks).

Also watermelon loving agua fresca. The real kind where they blend the seeds in with the fruit and you drink the whole shebang.

Also HORCHATA!

(Latin America has sick beverage game.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

spite house posted:

or this really punitive Romanian brand called Borsec that tastes like rocks).

:hfive: apa minerala, multumesc

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Take one pint glass, fill halfway with ice. Add the juice of one and a half fresh squeezed limes. Stir in one spoonful of instant coffee. Fill glass with mineral water of choice or club soda. Enjoy.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Chiba City Blues posted:

Moxie. It used to be a New England thing, then it whittled itself down to just Maine. My family is in Florida now and a chain of Maine-based supermarkets (Sweetbay) has started to spring up around town, and some of them carry it.
It has a bitter aftertaste. The whole soda itself is an acquired taste. I've given it to a few people down here and they say it tastes like fizzy coffee or fizzy cough syrup.

I don't get the Moxie hate, or even why it's considered such an acquired taste. It's not even weird—it tastes like spice drops and vanilla. Really pleasant and not too sweet.

NonTimetisMessor posted:

I submit to you, the greatest drink on this spinning ball of mud. Gifted by the gods themselves to the great people of Scotland, and made from girders...

This, though, I think I only sort of like because I have an infatuation with all things Scottish. Its taste is somewhere in between bubble gum and orange Gatorade, but also really bitter. I can find this in the midwestern US, but I can't find any loving Moxie.

The best nonalcoholic drink though—hot coffee, French roast. Sweet, unsweetened, with cream, without—it's all good.
Or maybe chai brewed by someone who understands why calling it "chai tea" is funny.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 13:25 on Jan 30, 2013

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp

Love Ting but it is a bitch to get if you live in the countryside. It became integral in my favorite cocktail, Gin N' Ting.

God bless you Ting

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

TerminalSaint posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbh6Ru7VVM

Always heard good stuff about that place. Gotta go there one day and pick up all, if not most of the sodas mentioned in this thread.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rollersnake posted:

This, though, I think I only sort of like because I have an infatuation with all things Scottish. Its taste is somewhere in between bubble gum and orange Gatorade, but also really bitter. I can find this in the midwestern US, but I can't find any loving Moxie.

Irn-bru, bitter? I would have said it was the other way, and it's really loving SWEET, not bitter.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Pre-assembled drink? Hands down, Mexican Fanta. :allears: I'd like to think I can tell the difference between the Cane Sugar Coke and the HFCS Coke, but, I'll admit it is pretty close in flavour, to me at least. However, the Fanta isn't even close. I submit that there is no soda out there that changes in flavour so dramatically as any Orange soda when it comes to which sweetener is used. Our Fanta to Mexican Fanta is like two drastically different Orange sodas.

As for non-alcoholic cocktails, OJ-Seven. A 50/50 of 7-Up and Orange juice. Loved it as a kid, and it is still the most refreshing thing as an adult.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

I'm not sure how they do it in Mexico, but the one from Valencia, where the stuff is originally from, is made from tiger nuts and tastes a bit like almond milk.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

B.H. Facials posted:

This stuff right here.

The way people talk about this poo poo, I'm absolutely convinced there was some kind of cocaine trafficking scheme involved and a few palettes just hit the market. Christ, it's just a soda, but the cult of this drink is really really weird.

And yeah, toss me in with ice water, coffee, and cane sugar soda.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In Mexico, at the place I was staying they had a drink called a caribeña, which apparently is not a very common drink as I can only find one reference to it online, from a guy who wants to know what's in it. If I remember right, it had coconut cream, a bit of milk, some strawberry cream, and unflavoured yogurt all thrown into a blender for like 10 second. It tasted like those Yop yogurt drinks, but really, really good and frothy, and I got a ton of them while staying there.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Aramek posted:

Pre-assembled drink? Hands down, Mexican Fanta. :allears: I'd like to think I can tell the difference between the Cane Sugar Coke and the HFCS Coke, but, I'll admit it is pretty close in flavour, to me at least. However, the Fanta isn't even close. I submit that there is no soda out there that changes in flavour so dramatically as any Orange soda when it comes to which sweetener is used. Our Fanta to Mexican Fanta is like two drastically different Orange sodas.

I don't really taste a difference between Pepsi/Mountain Dew and their throwback incarnations, so I wonder how much of this is glass bottle vs can/plastic bottle instead of cane sugar vs hfcs. However, I had about the same reaction to Mexican Fanta, it's like night and day.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
Yorkshire tea. All you silly yanks have no idea what you are missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LJHalfbreed
Apr 3, 2009

B.H. Facials posted:

This stuff right here.

There's a Stuckey's (Gas Station/Restaurant usually seen on highways in the south of the US) somewhere in Georgia that had SURGE on fountain (or whatever you call those big machines where you jam your cup against a lever and the soda water mixes with the syrup right there all special like) as recently as 3 years ago. I found it while on some stupid travel with a stupid girl. We had driven for a while and had stopped to stretch our legs, hit the bathroom, and get a drink and snack.

I headed over to the fountain drink section and lo-and-behold... SURGE. I hadn't had this stuff since FOREVER! (Caps are important.)

Ecstatic, I grabbed a giant bladder-buster type travel mug, and filled it to the top, and slapped the lid on and got out of the area. It was obvious they needed to clean the machines, as I caught a hint of cloying soured soda syrup. I carried the giant mug with me, undrank, throughout the store as I looked for some sort of equally-nasty snack to eat with it. Somewhere around a large endcap of a horrible variety of 'Moon Pies', I smelled something... off. Foul. Like part BO, part 'dying diabetic'. I figured someone died in front of the Moon Pie rack, and they still needed to mop (it was a grubby Stuckey's).

Then, while perusing the crappy souvenir aisle with my then-girlfriend, I smelled it again. Thought nothing of it.

Finally, after looking through 40 different horrible t-shirts, teaspoons, shotglasses, and such, I decided I was thirsty and needed a drink. I pulled the paper sleeve off my straw, jammed my thumb into the scored-plastic of the mug's straw orifice, and was suddenly hit with a full face of sweetly sour rankness and almost vomited. I pulled the lid off to see if maybe there was funk or something on the lid... Nope. Just the foulest smelling nasty fizzy drink nastiness ever. I just plopped my mug down on a glass shelf thing next to those 'precious moments' figurines and said 'gently caress this. We're out.'

Google tells me SURGE syrup manufacturing was stopped in 2002. I'm not real smart on how coke does it, but I can see distributors dumping off their excess stock on the cheap to make a buck, maybe to secondary/tertiary distributors and middlemen. So, let's say that the SURGE syrup had a shelf life of two years, and the last box of syrup finally got sold to this Stuckey's in say... 2006. It was 2010. Even in some sort of mythical world where this would be possible... I can't help but think that it is entirely too possible for a Stuckey's to have SURGE soda that has been in their dispenser (dammit, what do you call those things anyway???) since 2002. Or earlier. :toxx:

In any event, some content:

This is still, by far, my favoritest drink ever. Anyone else ever try this? I don't think they make it anymore either :negative:

• Locked thread