Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

raditts posted:

Color me skeptical too, using as-yet-unnamed mobile CPUs in console hardware sounds like a level of retarded reserved only for the Ouya.

I dunno, I think similar things were said when Sony unveiled that the PS3 would be based on Cell processors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Klyith posted:

I thought the ouya was a crock of poo poo for anything beyond a cheap XMBC device for the less technical. But after seeing the leaked / planned specs for both of the new xbox & PS consoles... Well, I still think Ouya is a crock of poo poo, but the console based on tablet hardware isn't completely crazy.

The next real consoles are going to be based around a chip that's designed for laptops, ultraportables, and little mini-box PCs. That type of chip will be showing up in tablets before 2015. The choice to use something off the shelf* for their consoles is (I think) an indication that neither are sure the console will even exist as an independent device after this generation.

Hey dude I don't want to poo poo on your parade or anything, but the absolute worst CPU configuration I've seen bandied about for the next Xbox and Playstation is a 6 core laptop AMD CPU. While that isn't exactly the best let me tell you:

1) It would still easily beat the OUYA's Tegra 3 SoC. Like totally run loving circles around it. You really don't seem to understand how much more powerful x86-64 is compared to ARM designs.
2) It would show up in "tablets" in 2015 as in those full laptop PCs where you can remove the keyboard. It is nothing comparable to what you'd see in an average tablet - for one thing the power usage would be pretty high for a regular tablet design.
3) Off the shelf parts have been relatively common in consoles.

And again that's all if the next gen consoles are using the worst proposed CPU design. They're likely to be using a more powerful setup.

The Ouya hardware is at least a year outdated in terms of tablets and isn't even that good for a year ago too. My current phone can do a lot better.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Shalinor posted:

Funny story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqhpDnMmfTs

... that isn't an OUYA launch title, and was made in a few weeks as a gag for #1GAM (there's a chicken piledriver at 0:33).

I'm pretty sure you could list that in with the other OUYA videos, and no one would be the wiser.

The chicken noises are literally pulled from minecraft...

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

angerbot posted:

Is it like OOOH YEAH or Oooo Yeah or what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rTzJIxBHKc

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Klyith posted:

And it's been proven that even if you throw a ton of money at the best engineering you can get, your hardware is going to be antiquated after 5-6 years.
This is entirely a non-statement. No poo poo your hardware gets antiquated after five or six years. Just about everything hardware based does. This doesn't make multibillion dollar companies go "welp, screw it. Guys, this internal R&D poo poo is for the birds. Let's just go down to Fry's and grab some parts off the shelf."

Rudager posted:

I dunno, I think similar things were said when Sony unveiled that the PS3 would be based on Cell processors.
:golfclap:

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

ChaoticKitten posted:

I have an OUYA Dev kit, and it's pretty nice in it's current state.

Do you still have to remove the entire top faceplate to replace the batteries in the controller?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
A big problem that I've seen with the Ouya is that's HDMI only, which kind of flies in the face of the intentions behind it.

You want a console everyone can afford, better hope you have an HDTV!

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

BenRGamer posted:

A big problem that I've seen with the Ouya is that's HDMI only, which kind of flies in the face of the intentions behind it.

You want a console everyone can afford, better hope you have an HDTV!

It's not about affordability man. It's about sticking it to the big three. I can't wait to see this industry burn.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Install Gentoo posted:

Hey dude I don't want to poo poo on your parade or anything, but the absolute worst CPU configuration I've seen bandied about for the next Xbox and Playstation is a 6 core laptop AMD CPU. While that isn't exactly the best let me tell you:

The Ouya hardware is at least a year outdated in terms of tablets and isn't even that good for a year ago too. My current phone can do a lot better.
"Ouya is still a crock of poo poo." Nowhere did I say that the Ouya, or the Ouya 2 next year, or any future Ouya would be a competitor. But it's made me think about some interesting possible futures in consumer gaming. There's a larger market out there that consoles have never tapped, and tablet-like devices have some promise in that area. 250 million people play games on facebook, how many will play games once everyone has a smartphone or tablet? (My mom bought a videogame for the first time when she got an ipad. She's over 60, and had never played a computer game besides solitaire AFAIK.)

Yes, the chips for the consoles aren't exact laptop CPU chips; they have wider GPUs than will ship with with laptops and extra features (like the PS4's edram graphics cache etc). But they're not going to significantly outperform a decent 2014 laptop, and the desktop PCs many of us play games on right now are better.

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

This is entirely a non-statement. No poo poo your hardware gets antiquated after five or six years. Just about everything hardware based does.
Well, take a time machine back to 2004 and charge MS and Sony a big consulting fee to tell them that. Between the 360 RROD losses and the PS3's general cost to Sony, they could have saved close to 2 billion dollars between them by using off the shelf hardware the last cycle.

Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho
Clearly the Ouya is designed with the next :black101: console war :black101: in mind. Those other consoles will make terrible slingshot ammunition,

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Divine Disclaimer posted:

Clearly the Ouya is designed with the next :black101: console war :black101: in mind. Those other consoles will make terrible slingshot ammunition,

Will OUYA get any press at E3? I would love to see their response to the next gen announcements/tech demos.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Klyith posted:

"Ouya is still a crock of poo poo." Nowhere did I say that the Ouya, or the Ouya 2 next year, or any future Ouya would be a competitor. But it's made me think about some interesting possible futures in consumer gaming. There's a larger market out there that consoles have never tapped, and tablet-like devices have some promise in that area. 250 million people play games on facebook, how many will play games once everyone has a smartphone or tablet? (My mom bought a videogame for the first time when she got an ipad. She's over 60, and had never played a computer game besides solitaire AFAIK.)

Are you like not aware that there's 192 million smartphones in use in the USA alone? Also it's not really a larger market, the amount of people who have never played a video game is absurdly small because people like your grandma who just played one now at 60 are a very small number.

Honestly the whole problem is whatever future you're talking about seems to be more like a few years ago or now. It's not an actual change.

Klyith posted:

Yes, the chips for the consoles aren't exact laptop CPU chips; they have wider GPUs than will ship with with laptops and extra features (like the PS4's edram graphics cache etc). But they're not going to significantly outperform a decent 2014 laptop, and the desktop PCs many of us play games on right now are better.

You need to go back and read the articles you posted again if you think the graphics hardware being used won't outperform average laptops next year. Whether it outperforms super gam0r laptops that weigh 10 pounds and get 10 minute battery doesn't really matter.

Consoles rarely outperform high end gamer PCs from the time they are built in the first place. But the people buying them generally do not have a fancy computer.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 10, 2013

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Klyith posted:

So instead of making their consoles last as long as possible before they're absolute dinosaurs Sony and MS have decided to go with already outdated tech? Sounds like a formula for success.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
It kind of makes sense to take a step back in terms of hardware so that growing developers can focus on making compelling gameplay and not needing to spend hundreds of man hours on super high-resolution textures (which is what has been destroying most of the medium-sized studios lately). The way they're handling it is just so clumsy though, and they're deliberately choosing to ignore the major problems that plague mobile development; hardware fragmentation and lack of quality control.

Can you imagine if, for the NES, Nintendo decided to just forget how previous gaming consoles were drowned in oceans of shovelware, and let people release whatever junk they wanted? I don't think the industry would be as big as it is now if that were the case.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Funny story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqhpDnMmfTs

... that isn't an OUYA launch title, and was made in a few weeks as a gag for #1GAM (there's a chicken piledriver at 0:33).

I'm pretty sure you could list that in with the other OUYA videos, and no one would be the wiser.

I would play that, and I dare anyone to seriously say they wouldn't for at least 5 minutes. :colbert:

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

raditts posted:

Well, it's offensive all right, you can't call 'em a liar on that one.

I was in the beta for that. It's unity so I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually running on a PC.

That's actually the most flattering presentation I've seen of it. Gentle reminder that it's the game that has a honest-to-god teabagging mechanic and equip slot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRK8ELrZe5o

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

bucketmouse posted:

I was in the beta for that. It's unity so I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually running on a PC.

That's actually the most flattering presentation I've seen of it. Gentle reminder that it's the game that has a honest-to-god teabagging mechanic and equip slot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRK8ELrZe5o

You sure this isn't ouya footage? It sure sounds like it is.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

miscellaneous14 posted:

It kind of makes sense to take a step back in terms of hardware so that growing developers can focus on making compelling gameplay and not needing to spend hundreds of man hours on super high-resolution textures (which is what has been destroying most of the medium-sized studios lately).

That doesn't really make sense though, you can already just not have the best graphics and focus on gameplay instead.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
4 pages and no xboxpants....guys I'm worried I think he might be dead.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

That doesn't really make sense though, you can already just not have the best graphics and focus on gameplay instead.
Yeah, if you want reviewers to say things like "the graphics remind me of an Xbox 1 game," or "the next gen is here, so why doesn't this game LOOK next gen". :smug:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

This is entirely a non-statement. No poo poo your hardware gets antiquated after five or six years. Just about everything hardware based does. This doesn't make multibillion dollar companies go "welp, screw it. Guys, this internal R&D poo poo is for the birds. Let's just go down to Fry's and grab some parts off the shelf."
:golfclap:

No, they just call IBM/Intel/AMD/Nvidia and go "Hey we need a CPU/GPU for our device. What can you do for us?"

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

The_Franz posted:

No, they just call IBM/Intel/AMD/Nvidia and go "Hey we need a CPU/GPU for our device. What can you do for us?"
Right, but dollars to doughnuts they don't decide to commission ASICs already outperformed by current desktop PCs for their console which is still almost a year away from release.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Right, but dollars to doughnuts they don't decide to commission ASICs already outperformed by current desktop PCs for their console which is still almost a year away from release.

Why not?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yeah, if you want reviewers to say things like "the graphics remind me of an Xbox 1 game," or "the next gen is here, so why doesn't this game LOOK next gen". :smug:

That's what happens when you build them for a console with crap graphics too!

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Install Gentoo posted:

What this guy said. As an indie/fledgling developer, your options are kind of limited in terms of platforms where you can actually be successful since trying to go for retail is a pretty huge undertaking these days.

Steam is probably the easiest and most convenient one where you'll actually make money, though you're still dealing with a ton of other indie competition and the customer base isn't that big. Xbox Live Arcade has a much bigger potential customer base, but god help you if your game needs more than one patch. I'm fairly sure the Playstation Network is relatively the same as XBLA. And the Xbox Live Indie market has the same issue as mobile app stores where it's swamped with complete garbage.

Having a dedicated console where you can say "here's a good place to release your indie games as long as they're actually playable" that's also not very expensive for consumers could work well for the industry. But I'm convinced Ouya isn't that console.

Install Gentoo posted:

That's what happens when you build them for a console with crap graphics too!

I don't think anyone's actually expecting to be wowed by the graphics from games on this thing outside of ones with really nice styles, unless you're Julie Uhrman and expect this thing to somehow run games like Skyrim or Call of Duty.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
For curiousity's sake I went looking for actual this-is-running-on-ouya videos given that Offensive Combat one was uploaded in August.
This dude's captured a handful of stuff and from skimming over it there don't seem to be any horrible framerate issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKvKTVM9lUE

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

So instead of making their consoles last as long as possible before they're absolute dinosaurs Sony and MS have decided to go with already outdated tech? Sounds like a formula for success.

Game developers already stretched hardware for seven years with the current gen. The new consoles should have better tools for developers to use, easier to use hardware and less performance weakness based off feedback from previous generation.

GrumbleGrumble
Jul 11, 2004

Lets all be honest, the OUYA is going to be used mainly for emulated games, may as well see how they run.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

bucketmouse posted:

For curiousity's sake I went looking for actual this-is-running-on-ouya videos given that Offensive Combat one was uploaded in August.
This dude's captured a handful of stuff and from skimming over it there don't seem to be any horrible framerate issues.

From the description:

quote:

So far it doesn't have a menu button or function, so that's stupid.
The touchpad on the controller is okay. No multi-touch or the ability to drag and drop.
So what exactly is it that a button in tandem with a thumbstick couldn't do?

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq83J1NIqQ8 thrill at a Zombie Apocalypse with one gun and THREE WHOLE ENEMIES ON THE SCREEN AT ONE TIME!

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 10, 2013

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Zombies are frightening to children and the soft-minded. I congratulate Oula on keeping safety its highest priority.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
So what mobile carriers are signed up with the ouya? Can it do 4G?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

bucketmouse posted:

So the Android device plays Android games, huh.
That menu screen looks like a god damned mess.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Gumdrop Larry posted:

It's not about affordability man. It's about sticking it to the big three. I can't wait to see this industry burn.

bucketmouse posted:

Gotta go slow.

+ + + +
Guys, will the Dead Trigger dev start to cry over the fact that users will warez his 1$ game on Ouya too after rooting the device?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2012/jul/23/dead-trigger-android-free-piracy

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 10, 2013

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

limaCAT posted:

Guys, will the Dead Trigger dev start to cry over the fact that users will warez his 1$ game on Ouya too after rooting the device?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2012/jul/23/dead-trigger-android-free-piracy
If only there were copy protection on Android I'm sure this uninspired, slow paced, piece of poo poo top quality interactive experience would have made at least another ten bucks in sales!

I mean, who doesn't want to pay money for a game where a deadpan voice actor says ":geno: that was gross." every few headshots or so? Come on, you know you want to.

It's got zoooombiiiies. You know you love zombies.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Can you play Minecraft on the Ouya?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Divine Disclaimer posted:

In the original design documents the Ouya box itself was going to be shaped like a dodecahedron, with another doda for the controller.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

miscellaneous14 posted:

Can you imagine if, for the NES, Nintendo decided to just forget how previous gaming consoles were drowned in oceans of shovelware, and let people release whatever junk they wanted? I don't think the industry would be as big as it is now if that were the case.

Can't tell if you're being ironic, but the Nintendo Seal of Quality was more about extracting licensing fees than quality, there was just as much shovelware for the NES as there was for any previous console.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I actually pre-ordered the system, and I do have to admit after watching some of those videos... I'm pretty concerned I might have wasted my money.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Zip posted:

I actually pre-ordered the system, and I do have to admit after watching some of those videos... I'm pretty concerned I might have wasted my money.

Sorry man :( if you can hack in the normal Android environment, the Tegra3 will run it like a dream. I just have no idea how you would control it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ipaid10buxforthis
May 11, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

If only there were copy protection on Android I'm sure this uninspired, slow paced, piece of poo poo top quality interactive experience would have made at least another ten bucks in sales!

I mean, who doesn't want to pay money for a game where a deadpan voice actor says ":geno: that was gross." every few headshots or so? Come on, you know you want to.

It's got zoooombiiiies. You know you love zombies.

Zombie related media is still popular with the non-nerds, with that twilight with zombies movie hit 1st last weekend in the box office and everyone waiting around for The Walking Dead. It's a good market for games.

• Locked thread