Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Douwe posted:

Isn't there a source flag for 'custom' instead of 'rbn' or 'rb lego', i saw someones tracklist on youtube with 'custom' as a header.

Myself, I just sort by playcount and play the songs I haven't played yet.

...I must test this. Given the song sources have codey names like "rb1_dlc" and "ugc_plus" (RBN 2.0), I figured the source list was hard-set and you couldn't write your own. Maybe if you just set the source field to "Customs" it'll appear that way and be a selectable source?
Maybe if that happens too then you might get offered a "Random Customs Setlist" in the modular road challenge mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd
Dec 25, 2011

Orange Harrison posted:

...I must test this. Given the song sources have codey names like "rb1_dlc" and "ugc_plus" (RBN 2.0), I figured the source list was hard-set and you couldn't write your own. Maybe if you just set the source field to "Customs" it'll appear that way and be a selectable source?
Maybe if that happens too then you might get offered a "Random Customs Setlist" in the modular road challenge mode.

I believe it used to be possible in one of the earlier updates, but was eventually patched out.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Dr Zaius posted:

There's some kind of limit on how many files can be in the same folder on USB keys as far as I can tell. I ran into the same problem everytime I reached around 250 songs. Once you reach the limit the only thing you can do is delete the folder, create a new one with a different name and then rename it to 00000001. If I were you I'd move everything to your harddrive through the dash, copy the title update/songcache back to the usb key and in Party Buffalo create a new folder alongside 00000001, put the songcache there, delete the old 00000001 which should be empty and rename the new folder to 00000001. Then you should be able to add files again. If that doesn't make sense, move everything to your harddrive and format the usb key again.

I wish I knew why there's a limit, but I've run into it twice now and just keep track of how many customs I have on the drive at any given time. There's no problem moving customs to your harddrive anyway.

Hmmm. I haven't tested it in the console yet, but that did appear to work! How odd... Any reason why this does work? And/or what causes it? How annoying...

Also, the reason I wouldn't want to leave my customs on the hard drive is because if I ever want to play without customs, with Title Update 5 if they were there they'd still be on the song list, just unplayable. This would probably also mess up Road Challenges if one were to get in...

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Is it possible that the file limit it a bug/limitation of Party Buffalo? I use USBXTAFGUI for my file shunting needs because I heard on Scorehero that there's some deep file issue with Party Buffalo.

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

Orange Harrison posted:

Yes, RB3maker will extract the songs.dta when it creates the CON. You use notepad to read and edit the songs.dta, and then you need Le Fluffie to inject your modified dta into the Con.
E2: I should adjust my wording before you corrupt everything. By "Inject" I don't mean literally inject. Navigate in the CON to the original songs.dta, right click it and select "replace" and replace it with your modified dta. Then you also have to click some "recompile" button somewhere in the program. If you don't do this your entire thing will become corrupt.
If you switch RB3Maker's option from "Convert RBA" to "Full Song", it will cheerfully repackage all the component files (mid, mogg, songs.dta, etc) from the folder and rebuild the rb3con. So, you can tweak the songs.dat, make 12 minute MIDs, etc., etc.

RB3Maker currently recreates the png_xbox from the bmp when Full Song is selected, which is a little overzealous, but it still beats the incessant mouse clicks required in LeFluffie. I don't mean to disparage LeFluffie - RB3Maker never would have been possible without DJ SkunkieButt's awesome work.

Nyxyxylyth fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 14, 2013

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

The T posted:

Hmmm. I haven't tested it in the console yet, but that did appear to work! How odd... Any reason why this does work? And/or what causes it? How annoying...

Also, the reason I wouldn't want to leave my customs on the hard drive is because if I ever want to play without customs, with Title Update 5 if they were there they'd still be on the song list, just unplayable. This would probably also mess up Road Challenges if one were to get in...

Right, but when you play online the other people are probably, almost definitely, not going to have your same customs so they wouldn't be selectable anyway. I haven't done road challenges since completing them two+ years ago. Personally, I like playing online with my customs song cache because I can hover over my gently caress the Police custom and others see that which amuses me greatly.

As for the weird file limit thing, I use a version of Modio for injecting files that lets me drag and drop files and it runs into the same problem as party buffalo eventually.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Have just over 300 customs on my stick now and Party Buffalo is still playing nice with everything. Been checking newly-added songs in the actual game to make sure they show up each time. I'll cross my fingers I guess.

Which program is it that actually opens a con file to view the metadata and stuff? Is it that Fluffy thing? And then I use RB3maker to put it all back together?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Minidust posted:

Which program is it that actually opens a con file to view the metadata and stuff? Is it that Fluffy thing?

That one works, but "Horizon", "Modio", and "wxPirs" will do it just fine as well. We have a sticky for those tools on our new forum on The Site That Must Not Be Linked.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Here's a tip for people modifying individual tracks: Delete the song via Rock Band 3's song select menu and RB3 will remove its entry from the cache. That way you don't have to manually delete and rebuild your entire cache every time you need RB3 to read a new iteration of the song.

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

Orange Harrison posted:

Here's a tip for people modifying individual tracks: Delete the song via Rock Band 3's song select menu and RB3 will remove its entry from the cache. That way you don't have to manually delete and rebuild your entire cache every time you need RB3 to read a new iteration of the song.
That is so pro that I'll henceforth humor your vocal_tonic_note business.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

While you're at it, :siren: do NOT set your song's source to rb3_dlc :siren:. I found out that real RB3 DLC uses a different method to store venue animation, and tagging your customs with it will break your venue.

Update: I tried pretty much all the HMX tags; they break venue animation because they author it differently than RBN. This means your songs have to stay sorted with RBN for them to work correctly, and it's impossible to have customs with trainer sections (technically it's possible, but enabling it will disable animation).
At least now I know why all my own customs were losing their venues one by one. :(

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 15, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

Dr Zaius posted:

There's some kind of limit on how many files can be in the same folder on USB keys as far as I can tell. I ran into the same problem everytime I reached around 250 songs. Once you reach the limit the only thing you can do is delete the folder, create a new one with a different name and then rename it to 00000001. If I were you I'd move everything to your harddrive through the dash, copy the title update/songcache back to the usb key and in Party Buffalo create a new folder alongside 00000001, put the songcache there, delete the old 00000001 which should be empty and rename the new folder to 00000001. Then you should be able to add files again. If that doesn't make sense, move everything to your harddrive and format the usb key again.

I wish I knew why there's a limit, but I've run into it twice now and just keep track of how many customs I have on the drive at any given time. There's no problem moving customs to your harddrive anyway.

So I lied! And also figured out a solution of sorts.

First; from what I can tell there is a limit of 256 files in a given folder in the USB programs that I've tried. This limit does not exist on the console itself. This method of renaming the folders doesn't really change that; the reason I thought it did was because I missed a bunch of files adding my second time through.

So my solution is to leave the big USB stick on the 360 at all times, and have a smaller one to load up with new stuff, then copy it over on the 360. Dumb, but it works!

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Pksage I sent you an email with regards to this Friday/next Tuesday.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Is there any way for me to set something like a spreadsheet dump of all my songs? I can get sort of a song list from Rock Band World on facebook, but it doesn't include stuff like artist.

At this point it'd be way easier to just browse a printout of all my songs, karaoke-bar-style, than browse for songs in-game.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I've been keeping track of my purchases on myrockbandsongs.com (only reason I say "have been" is because of all of those quality RBN purchases I've been making lately :v:). Dumping that into a spreadsheet is simple enough (or you could just donate to have the site automagically make karaoke books for you).

The T
May 29, 2010

Yep. DLCQuickplay can do the same thing as well, and has some good export options.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

For those of you still skeptical about my stemming process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWizXn4pjcE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAGqRF_ciG8

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

omg Sleep Walk :3:

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
That is some really impressive work there.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Been waiting for This Boy for a while, glad it got a release

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Did you ever know that you're my hero, Orange Harrison?

Quality work.

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

The football is in my path.
In 12 seconds' time she pulls
it away. I'm already lying there, 12 seconds into the future.

:drat:
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. No skepticism here!

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
So I heard Black Sabbath's new song today, and literally my first thought was, "Man, this would be so fun to play in Rock Band," before realizing, oh wait... :smith:

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Huge week for CCC today. See the blog post for the official copy, but we've got the following:

Led Zeppelin 6-pack
  • Led Zeppelin - "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"
  • Led Zeppelin - "Black Dog"
  • Led Zeppelin - "Communication Breakdown"
  • Led Zeppelin - "Good Times Bad Times"
  • Led Zeppelin - "Immigrant Song"
  • Led Zeppelin - "Kashmir"
New Singles
  • Alkaline Trio - "Mercy Me"
  • The Bravery - "An Honest Mistake"
  • Radiohead - "High and Dry"
  • Run-D.M.C. - "It's Tricky"
New GHtoRB3 Conversions
  • The Eagles - "Life in the Fast Lane"
  • Smashing Pumpkins - "Bullet with Butterfly Wings"
  • Street Sweeper Social Club - "100 Little Curses"
"From the Vault" Single (previously released, now an official CCC release)
  • Led Zeppelin - "Stairway to Heaven"

And we've released every single GHtoRB3 back catalog song, which is a total of 185 more songs. For the full list, check the blog post.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

pksage posted:

[*]Run-D.M.C. - "It's Tricky"[/list]

Awesome.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

pksage posted:

And we've released every single GHtoRB3 back catalog song, which is a total of 185 more songs.
GHtoRB3 tracks haven't been changed in any way, correct? So if I had downloaded them from a central GHtoRB3 document over the past few weeks, I should have the same files that are now being linked via C3? I know there a few tracks that are still considered unofficial over there, so I'm wondering if any of those have been "updgraded" as part of this release.

In any case, this is awesome. Thanks!

This rules too! :rock:

EDIT VVVVVV ok great, thanks for confirming!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 19, 2013

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Minidust posted:

GHtoRB3 tracks haven't been changed in any way, correct? So if I had downloaded them from a central GHtoRB3 document over the past few weeks, I should have the same files that are now being linked via C3?

Correct. We're just hosting and promoting them as part of our project. You can continue to download files from their spreadsheet or use our database; all links lead to the same place.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Finally. Zeppelin. BADASS.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So since installing customs a whole buttload of my dlc has gone missing. All of the acdc pack. Still alive. Date with the night. And others I'm sure. They're still downloaded on the hard drive, but not showing up in game. What gives?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So since installing customs a whole buttload of my dlc has gone missing. All of the acdc pack. Still alive. Date with the night. And others I'm sure. They're still downloaded on the hard drive, but not showing up in game. What gives?

Are they saved in cloud storage, or tied to a profile in cloud storage? Do they show up if you boot your 360 without the customs drive plugged in and connect to Xbox LIVE?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Not on cloud storage, didn't even know that was a thing. They're on the official HDD, not the USB one. They don't show up with the external not plugged in. I haven't tried reinstalling title update 5 but then I don't want to lose customs. Could it be that they're not showing up on 4 but will show up on 5 for some reason? That doesn't make much sense to me because some of this dlc is really old, way before TU5.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

If the DLC isn't licenced to that console, it won't appear when you play offline (eg, play with customs).

I own a couple songs that I bought on another Xbox, they don't appear when I try to play offline. You need to licence transfer and redownload them.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So I need title update 5 to play them, to be connected to the rock band servers? Lame. Or download the licenses again I guess but I don't know how to do that.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

You used to have to call Microsoft support and all this drama to transfer your license, but now you can do it through your account options on the dashboard somewhere. After transferring your licence, redownload the problem songs and you'll be able to use them offline again.
Also, you can only license transfer once per year.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So I need title update 5 to play them, to be connected to the rock band servers? Lame. Or download the licenses again I guess but I don't know how to do that.
It's a 2-step process. Step 1 is really easy, just do the "license transfer" which is a single button press in the Xbox dashboard (poke around in the "Settings" tab and you'll find it). Basically this flags your current Xbox as the new "original" Xbox for all content under your profile.

Step 2 is to actually re-download a piece of content so that your current/primary Xbox realizes it's there. Unlike the license transfer, this step needs to be repeated for each piece of DLC that had been purchased on a different Xbox. It's a pain, but fortunately each download is really quick since it technically just re-downloads the license, which is tiny.

I did this recently. Step 2 wasn't so bad since I just went to Xbox.com on my laptop and queued things up with my download history (you can queue about 30 items at a time).

Minidust fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 21, 2013

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Hey folks got a question. Does anyone have an extra 1st gen RB3 disc they could get ahold of or know of a pretty airtight way to get one? Got a buddy that wants to get in on customs.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Hopefully I'm not crossing the :filez: line so please let me know if I need to remove this question:

Is there another piece of software that can do what Modio does? For some reason, no Modio release is working with my computer - 3 doesn't recognize my USB drive, 4 recognizes it but doesn't recognize any files on it, and 5 crashes instantly.

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

JoeRules posted:

For some reason, no Modio release is working with my computer - 3 doesn't recognize my USB drive, 4 recognizes it but doesn't recognize any files on it, and 5 crashes instantly.
Did you initialize the USB stick on the XBox?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, just did a sweep of all DLC songs ever released. Took about three hours to get from American Pie to Jukebox Hero. Probably would have been quicker cept I kept pausing to listen to random RBN songs, half of which I only downloaded the demos for.

I think the thing that's changed the most about my buying habits is that I'm thinking of other people now, so some songs I skipped over ages ago I'm now buying cause I can think of people who'd actually want to play them. That and I've grown considerably more fond of classic rock and more tolerent of live versions of songs, so I went from no KISS songs to nearly all of the KISS songs.

I haven't even played any of them yet. And I just bought a keyboard for cheap. I'm never gonna stop playing this drat game, am I? :gonk:

Nyxyxylyth posted:

Did you initialize the USB stick on the XBox?

Yeah, all your problems sound like you skipped this step. If you didn't, I'd suggest doing it again and seeing if that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Here's a hint for my next Beatles custom with stems. Guess-the-fill:

• Locked thread