Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

What's the best class to just faceroll my way to the level cap? I love the class storylines but with a Juggernaut at 26 and a Sniper at 41 (and that Sniper has been at 41 since not long after launch) I am really, really, really bad at reaching level cap in MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Assassin tanks with a DPS companion can solo everything including Heroic 2s with ease. Great survivability and several self heals on very short cooldowns or just as combat procs. Great DPS compared to the other tank classes too, and going biochem for reusable medpacks will only enhance all of that. I really enjoyed the space rear end in a top hat Indiana Jones story too.

I'm sure other people will have similar stories for most classes.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 16, 2013

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

What's the best class to just faceroll my way to the level cap? I love the class storylines but with a Juggernaut at 26 and a Sniper at 41 (and that Sniper has been at 41 since not long after launch) I am really, really, really bad at reaching level cap in MMOs.

Mercenary / Commando, DPS (middle tree). You get your healer companion very early, you wear heavy armor, and you can wail on stuff at range. Good mix of AOE and single-target damage, pretty simple rotation. A few heals if poo poo goes haywire. It's not the most powerful class overall but it's definitely the smoothest leveling experience.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Trooper / Bounty Hunter is pretty foolproof and filled with maximum explosions. Very few buttons to press (Especially as DPS Commando / Merc), also can make a pull evaporate every minute with Mortar Volley / Death from Above.

Healing / Tanking as a Trooper / Bounty Hunter requires a lot more attention and is quite rewarding, but that's not the faceroll you're looking for.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Rasmussen posted:

Assassin tanks with a DPS companion can solo everything including Heroic 2s with ease.

I'm sure other people will have similar stories for most classes.

Yeah, non-healer with healer companion is also a very powerful combination capable of soloing Heroic 2s with any class. Unless you're burned out on it, I'd suggest sticking with the sniper. Marksmanship snipers do great damage, are about as easy to play as Mercenary/Commando dps and, in your case, have the huge advantage of starting at level 41, dozens of hours of playtime ahead of a fresh character.

There are a few other things that make the grind go faster. Joining a guild gives a 5% experience boost now, and there are a number of leveling guilds that will help you out or leave you in peace as you prefer. Major experience boosts are cheap on most servers. Finally, the space combat dailies consist of playing a very easy rail shooter and have an excellent experience/time ratio.

HundredBears fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 16, 2013

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

I think what you're experiencing is mostly psychological - you probably hate the planets you're currently on and can't get into the planetary storyline. Soloing can get a bit repetitive at times too.

You should be able to faceroll with any class in this game, but then again, the two classes archetypes that you played are the ones that I haven't leveled up to max.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Which is the best Sorc DPS spec, Lightning or Madness? I'm currently rolling with Lightning but I'm only at level 12 so no biggie at the moment.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Lightning is cast time big nukes and madness is instants and dots with channels. I preferred madness because I loved the talent that removed the cooldown on the lightning channel and all the instants meant nice mobility.

I think they're both very competitive in their roles. I'd go with what you find more fun.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Tezzeract posted:

I think what you're experiencing is mostly psychological - you probably hate the planets you're currently on and can't get into the planetary storyline. Soloing can get a bit repetitive at times too.

I wasn't a big fan of Tatooine, but I loved Hoth, even though they're both wide open deserts...just one was all sand, and one was ice and THE GRAVEYARD OF SPACESHIPS!!!!

If you can find someone to level with, it's great, especially with an alt. I'm enjoying my Sorcerer, don't get me wrong, but my friend and I are leveling a pair of alts together - him an Assassin, me a Juggernaut. Not only do you RIP through quests together, but there's a sense of comraderie as well that makes it fun.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

CobiWann posted:

I wasn't a big fan of Tatooine, but I loved Hoth, even though they're both wide open deserts...just one was all sand, and one was ice and THE GRAVEYARD OF SPACESHIPS!!!!

If you can find someone to level with, it's great, especially with an alt. I'm enjoying my Sorcerer, don't get me wrong, but my friend and I are leveling a pair of alts together - him an Assassin, me a Juggernaut. Not only do you RIP through quests together, but there's a sense of comraderie as well that makes it fun.

Imperial Tatooine is actually one of my favourite planets, particularly because the planet quest is the best one in the game, in my opinion. Almost all the other planets follow the formula of meeting a head honcho questgiver dealing with a war/uprising, who gives you a quest and then sends you to three other outposts to do quests for his underlings which involve stopping the oposing force fighting the empire, with occasional holocalls back to base. It feels very formulaic. The Tatooine quest keeps the same two people as your quest givers doing something very different to the other planets' quests. And the questgivers themselves are unusual, the reclaimation service has a very diffent atmosphere from the endless parade of Scary siths and stiff-collared military men on other planets.

Really, the Tatooine planet story feels like it was written by someone completely different from the people who wrote the rest of the game. I'd play a game which starred the Reclaimation Service or Darth Silthar. I guess the rest of Tatooine's quests aren't spectacular, but I don't think they're any worse than the sidequests on the other planets.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

hobbesmaster posted:

Surprisingly I can't find anything on YouTube but there's a lot of great conversation options to be a completely self centered child.

One line is literally "It was all me! Me me me me me!"

I think that's when you come across the investigators that Darth Thanaton sent to investigate Darth Skotia's murder and they ask you who did it. You can respond that you did it with that line.

Reveilled posted:

Imperial Tatooine is actually one of my favourite planets, particularly because the planet quest is the best one in the game, in my opinion. Almost all the other planets follow the formula of meeting a head honcho questgiver dealing with a war/uprising, who gives you a quest and then sends you to three other outposts to do quests for his underlings which involve stopping the oposing force fighting the empire, with occasional holocalls back to base. It feels very formulaic. The Tatooine quest keeps the same two people as your quest givers doing something very different to the other planets' quests. And the questgivers themselves are unusual, the reclaimation service has a very diffent atmosphere from the endless parade of Scary siths and stiff-collared military men on other planets.

Really, the Tatooine planet story feels like it was written by someone completely different from the people who wrote the rest of the game. I'd play a game which starred the Reclaimation Service or Darth Silthar. I guess the rest of Tatooine's quests aren't spectacular, but I don't think they're any worse than the sidequests on the other planets.

Darth Silthar and the Reclamation service team are great, its just too bad the planet is sooo boring. But, the way their quests are laid out allows you to be more efficient than usual.

I just started a Jedi Sentinel and is there a build that's like a Smash Marauder? I just basically want to murder most efficiently.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

wtftastic posted:

I think that's when you come across the investigators that Darth Thanaton sent to investigate Darth Skotia's murder and they ask you who did it. You can respond that you did it with that line.

Darth Silthar and the Reclamation service team are great, its just too bad the planet is sooo boring. But, the way their quests are laid out allows you to be more efficient than usual.

I just started a Jedi Sentinel and is there a build that's like a Smash Marauder? I just basically want to murder most efficiently.

Yep, Sentinel and Marauder are the same thing. Force Sweep instead of Smash, far right tree.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Reveilled posted:

Different strokes. Tatooine wasn't a BAD planet, I just wasn't a fan of it, maybe because, in any type of "Star Wars" game, you end up on Tatooine...

I loved Hoth for the same reason I liked Malachor V in "KOTOR 2" - derelict fleets and crashed spaceships scattered across the landscape, and since I did it as an Inquisitor, I got a REALLY goofy quest giver who turns out to be kind of awesome.

(ice planets, derelict fleets...guess I know now why I also enjoyed "Dead Space 3."

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Medullah posted:

Yep, Sentinel and Marauder are the same thing. Force Sweep instead of Smash, far right tree.

Baller, thanks. Looking forward to dstroying in PvP and producing the sweet sweet DPS.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Rookersh posted:

Consular - Did you play KotOR2? Remember Kreia? Remember all the poo poo Kreia did? Consular is basically "be Kreia the game" down to spouting off long indepth thoughts of why/how the Force is.
What? When does that happen? I can't remember anything from the Consular story that even made me think of Kreia.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
I've been playing a little bit off and on with a friend of mine and on a whim I bought one of those random packs. There was a purple title in it "Regulator". I looked on the trade network and the only other one was listed at 8 million credits. Is this thing actually worth that much, and if it is is there a goon on the Jedi Covenant server that would like to have it for significantly less than that?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

CobiWann posted:

Different strokes. Tatooine wasn't a BAD planet, I just wasn't a fan of it, maybe because, in any type of "Star Wars" game, you end up on Tatooine...

I loved Hoth for the same reason I liked Malachor V in "KOTOR 2" - derelict fleets and crashed spaceships scattered across the landscape, and since I did it as an Inquisitor, I got a REALLY goofy quest giver who turns out to be kind of awesome.

(ice planets, derelict fleets...guess I know now why I also enjoyed "Dead Space 3."

I liked Hoth on my Inquisitor for the same reason as Tatooine, the reclaimation service is awesome and so Talos Drellik is great. On my other two imperials, not so much. Ship graveyards aren't really a thing for me.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I bought this game at release and was super disappointed; so much so that I got my game refunded. Now that it's free and seems better, I think I may try it again. Do lots of people still play? Will the leveling up areas be barren wastelands? Can I reasonably level through pvp? Can I kill ewoks?

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

vandalism posted:

I bought this game at release and was super disappointed; so much so that I got my game refunded. Now that it's free and seems better, I think I may try it again. Do lots of people still play? Will the leveling up areas be barren wastelands? Can I reasonably level through pvp? Can I kill ewoks?

I just started playing again recently myself and now that there are only a handful of servers all the starting areas, heroic quests, and early flash points are well populated. I don't know about your other questions but hey, it's free.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

vandalism posted:

1) Yes, especially since the release of Makeb.

2) No they won't, there is usually a healthy amount of people re-rolling.

3) Of course.

Fake edit: oh wait they may have been sand people you mindlessly slaughter. I know ewoks are at least in the game.

Real edit: it will be frustrating to not be a subscriber for you if that's what you remember and you don't have at least one character at 50. Credits will be a pain and exp drags on way slower.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

The game is very alive and there are plenty people on all the leveling planets. You can't kill ewoks, but there are plenty jawa to kill.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah, basically, to anyone looking at coming back, things are well populated, you can now play space dress up, and there's now way more endgame content (Scum and Villainy is intense). I have to say I think its gotten better since I started playing about uhhh a year ago?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rasmussen posted:

The game is very alive and there are plenty people on all the leveling planets. You can't kill ewoks, but there are plenty jawa to kill.

Maybe that was my problem with Tatooine. I didn't kill enough Jawas.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Maybe that was my problem with Tatooine. I didn't kill enough Jawas.

Make sure to get all jawa killing achievements!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The only planet I've been on while levelling my Warrior that was a ghost town was Corellia, where late night there'd be only 10 or so people online. European server though, so may be quieter than the US.

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

Reveilled posted:

The only planet I've been on while levelling my Warrior that was a ghost town was Corellia, where late night there'd be only 10 or so people online. European server though, so may be quieter than the US.

No one likes Corellia. If anyone goes to Corellia, it's for Black Hole which is a separate instance.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ThreeSixXero posted:

No one likes Corellia. If anyone goes to Corellia, it's for Black Hole which is a separate instance.

Yep, I did Corellia once with my Imperial characters, and that was it (other than story, of course). I kinda dug the story but I HATE the planet.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Medullah posted:

Yep, I did Corellia once with my Imperial characters, and that was it (other than story, of course). I kinda dug the story but I HATE the planet.

If I could have a golden ticket to skip one planet it would be Corellia. To be honest I can put up with just about anything but man my hatred for Corellia runs deep.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

hobbesmaster posted:

Make sure to get all jawa killing achievements!

I sure am glad achievements are account wide, because gently caress if I am going to kill 500 of this mob and 250 of this slightly different mob and then 100 super rare gold mobs for achievement points. If I get that poo poo on my 3rd or 5th character that's fine.

Basically, gently caress kill cheevos. The datacron and codex ones are useful on your first character, though, if only to track what you need to find.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff
The biggest problem with Correlia is it suffers from Fallout 3 City Design syndrom. You gotta really know your routes around the map or you waste a lot of time.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Team THEOLOGY posted:

If I could have a golden ticket to skip one planet it would be Corellia. To be honest I can put up with just about anything but man my hatred for Corellia runs deep.

I think you mean Ilum. Or Taris. Or Tatooine. Or Alderaan.

If I could give a gold ticket to skip most of this game and just play the space shooter between instances and quest dialog... I would do that thing I said.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
If I had to pick one planet to skip it'd be Voss. There's one good bit, which is the vision quest, and the rest of it is "Kill Gormaks". Over and over again in every area.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

vandalism posted:

Can I reasonably level through pvp?

With PvP being separated into 3-tiers, bolster by item (instead of lvl), and being able to exchange WZ comms for planetary comms lvling through PvP is easier and more enjoyable than ever.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I think you mean Ilum. Or Taris. Or Tatooine. Or Alderaan.

If I could give a gold ticket to skip most of this game and just play the space shooter between instances and quest dialog... I would do that thing I said.

Um, might as well put down all the planets then? The ones you listed above are pretty easy to traverse.

The only ones that are truly obnoxious are Belsavis (before the awesomesauce ancient prison) and Corellia. Quesh is borderline as well, but there are enough good parts.

Reveilled posted:

If I had to pick one planet to skip it'd be Voss. There's one good bit, which is the vision quest, and the rest of it is "Kill Gormaks". Over and over again in every area.

The Voss bonus series is fun too. Actually, almost all of the bonus series that I've played were more fun than the original planets :v:

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

I played for a month after launch and then quit. I've just resubbed and started again and I have to say this game is so much better ten months on. I'm pretty happily surprised by how much they have improved it. I'm having a blast! I'm on Tomb of Freedon Nadd in a pretty chill pubbie guild. If anyone wants to join shoot me a PM or mail in game. Same username as here!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Tezzeract posted:

Um, might as well put down all the planets then? The ones you listed above are pretty easy to traverse.

The only ones that are truly obnoxious are Belsavis (before the awesomesauce ancient prison) and Corellia. Quesh is borderline as well, but there are enough good parts.

It also depends on what you're doing when you're there and when you get there. Now, you get a mount early enough it's not so bad anymore, but if you're f2p, it's still a huge deal to go to some of these places and have to walk everywhere. It's also obnoxious when the quest lines on the planet double back on themselves and wander out in the middle of nowhere to do a single task.

I haven't played wow for a while, but the last time I did was after they redesigned traffic flow through the entire leveling curve. It was amazing. You never had to back track. Everything you did made sense and went together. They used nearly all their areas. Optional sections fairly well marked and off on their own.

TOR *should* be convenient. Everybody gets a spaceship and you can go anywhere. But they hamstring it with giant boring open areas, twisting passages, and slow travel speed, even when 'mounted'.

So yeah. I'd say dump the whole game and just make it an instanced thing where you go aboard your ship, and cutscene bars show you flying to exactly where you need to go. Like STO does. The difference in aggravation is huge. I don't like STO's ground combat but I've had more fun completing its missions because the space ship part is so cool and you go straight from it into something that matters, rather than walking around in deserts, swamps, and giant space cities that look like Quake 2 levels with more neon getting waylaid by random asshat monsters.

Katina
May 3, 2009

Jacada posted:

I played for a month after launch and then quit. I've just resubbed and started again and I have to say this game is so much better ten months on. I'm pretty happily surprised by how much they have improved it. I'm having a blast! I'm on Tomb of Freedon Nadd in a pretty chill pubbie guild. If anyone wants to join shoot me a PM or mail in game. Same username as here!

Finally, someone else on Freedon Nadd! I'll be joining you in late June.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
I just wanted to say I've been playing for a month now, I'm a level 24 Scoundrel, and I loving love this game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So apparently EA will let me subscribe to their game, and buy the Hutt expansion, but using the same card to buy coins returns an error. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lukewarm Gazpacho
Aug 8, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Rand Ecliptic posted:

I just wanted to say I've been playing for a month now, I'm a level 24 Scoundrel, and I loving love this game.

I got pulled kicking and screaming into this game by a friend. Now I can't stand to be away from it.

• Locked thread