Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
For anyone wanting to visit an Orthodox church, this link makes good reading: 12 Things I Wished I'd Known by Frederica Mathewes-Green, an Orthodox convert & author who is a "Khouria" (Arab title for a priest's wife).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Nudd
Jul 24, 2007

Gee whiz doc!

Moscow Mule posted:

For anyone wanting to visit an Orthodox church, this link makes good reading: 12 Things I Wished I'd Known

"Come, let us complete our prayer to the Lord": the closest thing to comedy in the Divine Liturgy.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Before I visited the Greek church last winter, I honestly had trouble figuring out what the heck is going on in the liturgy. You can read the Divine Liturgy online or even watch videos, but still have trouble following it if all you've ever known is a Catholic or Episcopal liturgy. It only clicked for me when I actually saw one in person.

And yes, you don't really need to do much. You don't even have to sing along with the choir. That was one thing that took some getting used to, considering how big a role the hymnal plays in Anglican liturgy. The other thing was how so much of what the priest did was out of sight and out of earshot, including much of the Eucharistic prayer.

They did, however, insist that I take the antidoron at the end.

They also gave me that Mathewes-Green article as a brochure. I think it's still in my trunk, mainly because I never clean it.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
When in doubt, find a little old lady, preferably one who has her head covered, stand behind her, and ape what she does, minus taking Communion. Always worked anytime I've had to go to a service, except the one time I was in the front pew and couldn't see a little old lady to mimic.

edit: I am agnostic, never brought up in a church, extended family is Roman Catholic, I just like hearing about other people's traditions and rituals. I like to be culturally literate.

Hoover Dam fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 13, 2013

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Neat thread. Put me down as a type-1 Roman Catholic. I was pulled into ushering at my parish several years ago, and when the usher captain at my service got too infirm to keep going, I got the job through the simple expedient of being the able-bodied guy who showed up every week. Bad news for the Saturday night service, although the church hasn't burned down on my watch yet.

My parish seems to be a little more obsessed with the precise scripting of the Mass than some others of my experience. Our masters-of-ceremonies are active participants in each weekend service and run a tight ship. I'm a nerd with a lot of education, and I appreciate the entire order of the Mass, both from the perspective of history and tradition, where all of this comes from and why things happen on a spiritual level, and also from the purely practical perspective of making sure 400+ people get the hour-long experience they expect without anything going wrong.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

IMJack posted:

I was pulled into ushering at my parish several years ago, and when the usher captain at my service got too infirm to keep going, I got the job [...] Our masters-of-ceremonies are active participants in each weekend service and run a tight ship.

This sounds scarier than any hellfire or brimstone I've ever heard of :pwn:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 14, 2013

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

So what's the rules about being in the OP? Do I not get in until I've been Baptized?

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

NewtGoongrich posted:

My mom's side of the family is/was Lutheran. I remember being told "Lutherans are Catholics" (or something along those lines) a few times throughout my childhood. Could anyone shed light on this?

It may also stem from the idea that both Lutherans and Catholics (and some other denominations) are considered "high church" I think due to the more elaborate rituals and pageantry we have in our services.

Wife's answer: If you're talking about "catholic" in the sense of the nicene creed and the apostles creed where it talks about one holy apostolic catholic church which is part of the Lutheran confessional, it's talking about the universal church in the sense that all Christians are in Christ, therefore all Christians make up the body of the universal church. But if you're using it to talk about the Catholic denomination as in Rome and the Pope, although we have Catholic heritage through Martin Luther we are not Catholic.

So Lutherans are catholics, but not Catholics.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

So what's the rules about being in the OP? Do I not get in until I've been Baptized?

You don't get in until you ask. A lot of other people who just say "I'm X" don't get in because they don't ask and I don't know whether or not they're OK with it. I don't want to pressure people. I'll add you if you want. :)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yeah sure, let me in.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Why do (some of?) the LCMS Divine Service liturgies eliminate the Eucharistic Prayer? Do other Lutherans do this too? Having gone to enough Episcopal services now, it feels a bit jarring to go straight from the Sanctus to the Words of Institution.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

If you receive Communion in the wrong state of mind or with sins on your soul, the belief is that it could hurt you or make you sick.
Before I was formally baptized and received into the Episcopal church, I was told that I could do whatever sat best with my conscience. The first time I tried receiving communion, my infant had a massive diarrhea attack. I took it as a hint, and held off until the next Easter Vigil.

I have a question re Orthodox worship. I'm disabled, but I look perfectly healthy. In practice, I can't stand for twenty minutes, let alone an hour. If I bring my folding cane and sit on it, will people be offended?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

No, there are usually benches for disabled or sick people at Orthodox churches.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Also, people usually mind their own business during church. Like, I've seen plenty of people pray seemingly undisturbed while a child bumbles about on the floor among their legs, or the person next to them decides to kneel before Communion, or someone leaves and then comes back.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Why aren't Ecumenical Councils called more often in the Orthodox Church? Like, why can't we all decide that yes, shellfish are animals, so you can't eat them during a fast? I tried looking online for a reason, but everything seems so...Byzantine.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 15, 2013

semihippie
Jul 28, 2004
The Wanderer
I'm a soon to be seminarian in Unitarian Universalism, and one of the few things I'm jealous of Christian traditions/ and their ministers are the vestments. All we get is pretty pretty stoles and (usually black, but sometimes white) robes.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
A liturgy mega-thread...this is making me positively quiver with glee.

I am an atheist but I was raised in a South Indian (Kerala) Pentecostal denomination in the U.S. (Church of God). Despite the fundamentalist bent of my parents, historically my family has belonged to other denominations. I count Catholics, Oriental Orthodox and Anglicans among my relatives, and love liturgy. I seriously can't stand the tepid, slim-jeans and latte holding aesthetic of modern evangelical services. Modern worship music makes me grieve.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.
Question for the Orthodox in the thread: what's the view/tends to be the view of your respective churches on Vatican II and the changes to the Catholic Church since (if they have any views, that is)? I know Orthodoxy places a premium on continuity and timelessness; the traditionalist* Catholic qualms with Vatican II have been over what some perceive as a modernization and liberalization of the Church, revisions to the liturgy, changes to the calendar, changes to devotional practices etc.

*Those of us in good standing with the Holy See, not the SSPX crowd and the Sedevacantists.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

Why aren't Ecumenical Councils called more often in the Orthodox Church? Like, why can't we all decide that yes, shellfish are animals, so you can't eat them during a fast? I tries looking online for a reason, but everything seems so...Byzantine.
Change is bad. Why would you need to change if what you have works for you? Besides, lobster's delicious.

Roark posted:

Question for the Orthodox in the thread: what's the view/tends to be the view of your respective churches on Vatican II and the changes to the Catholic Church since (if they have any views, that is)? I know Orthodoxy places a premium on continuity and timelessness; the traditionalist* Catholic qualms with Vatican II have been over what some perceive as a modernization and liberalization of the Church, revisions to the liturgy, changes to the calendar, changes to devotional practices etc.

*Those of us in good standing with the Holy See, not the SSPX crowd and the Sedevacantists.
Change, as I said, is bad. The change in attitudes toward authority, the relationship of the hierarchy to the laity, and the relationship of Catholicism to other religions is good, but then they hosed up the liturgy, so...bad. I do know that Vatican 2 decided that the Roman Catholics should stop trying to Romanize the Catholics who practice other rites, so that met with a very favorable reception, especially where it involved Slavic peoples.

I also think I remember reading somewhere a number of Orthodox hoping that Vatican 2 would lead to the Catholics becoming Orthodox. It didn't work out that way, but the 70s were a time in which Catholic interest in Eastern Christianity increased.

My answer is shaded by the fact that I used to be a Tridentine Rite Catholic and am now Orthodox, and on top of that that I'm unusually liberal for my denomination, and probably for my society.

Radio Talmudist posted:

A liturgy mega-thread...this is making me positively quiver with glee.

I am an atheist but I was raised in a South Indian (Kerala) Pentecostal denomination in the U.S. (Church of God). Despite the fundamentalist bent of my parents, historically my family has belonged to other denominations. I count Catholics, Oriental Orthodox and Anglicans among my relatives, and love liturgy. I seriously can't stand the tepid, slim-jeans and latte holding aesthetic of modern evangelical services. Modern worship music makes me grieve.
:neckbeard: Do you have any photos from Indian Orthodox ceremonies?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 15, 2013

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Why do (some of?) the LCMS Divine Service liturgies eliminate the Eucharistic Prayer? Do other Lutherans do this too? Having gone to enough Episcopal services now, it feels a bit jarring to go straight from the Sanctus to the Words of Institution.

I posted the most common liturgy of the church I belong to earlier. At least the Eucharistic Prayer exists there, although now that I google it in English, we seem to lack the exchange between the priest and the congregation. There's some inconsistency in naming the parts of the liturgy but I suppose that's my misunderstanding. The Wikipedia pages aren't the clearest possible.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

:neckbeard: Do you have any photos from Indian Orthodox ceremonies?

If you look up Syrian Orthodox, you'll find plenty of footage (The Orthodox Church in India is in communion with the Syrian Church, I believe).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG9_q8y5wRs

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
Please add me to the list of Catholics with the following designation:

I am a practicing Catholic who attends Mass every Sunday and on all other Holy Days of Obligation, does not accept the Eucharist unless I am in a state of grace, and goes to Confession at least once a month. I support all Catholic doctrines, and enjoy studying Catholic history and theology.

Question for some of you Eastern Orthodox folks: Why don't you accept the Gregorian calendar already? The Julian is obviously wrong. Eventually you guys will be celebrating Easter in Winter.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Kyrie eleison posted:

Please add me to the list of Catholics with the following designation:

I am a practicing Catholic who attends Mass every Sunday and on all other Holy Days of Obligation, does not accept the Eucharist unless I am in a state of grace, and goes to Confession at least once a month. I support all Catholic doctrines, and enjoy studying Catholic history and theology.

Question for some of you Eastern Orthodox folks: Why don't you accept the Gregorian calendar already? The Julian is obviously wrong. Eventually you guys will be celebrating Easter in Winter.

We basically have with the New Julian calendar. But the reason we don't go all the way (and the reason some churches have not gone to the New Julian, and even some others have broken communion with us) is because of an irrational fear of "ecumenism."

TBH I think it's pharasaical nonsense but there are plenty who would disagree with me.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Fallen Rib

Valiantman posted:

I posted the most common liturgy of the church I belong to earlier. At least the Eucharistic Prayer exists there, although now that I google it in English, we seem to lack the exchange between the priest and the congregation. There's some inconsistency in naming the parts of the liturgy but I suppose that's my misunderstanding. The Wikipedia pages aren't the clearest possible.

I'm pretty sure it's a Missouri Synod quirk, as the liturgy you posted does include it. I remember growing up that we would always finish singing the Sanctus and the pastor would immediately start blessing the elements with "Our Lord Jesus Christ, on the night in which he was betrayed..." without any prayer prefacing it. It seems one of the Divine Service settings in the new LCMS service book retains a Eucharistic prayer but the others don't. I have no idea what the other American synods do.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a Missouri Synod quirk, as the liturgy you posted does include it. I remember growing up that we would always finish singing the Sanctus and the pastor would immediately start blessing the elements with "Our Lord Jesus Christ, on the night in which he was betrayed..." without any prayer prefacing it. It seems one of the Divine Service settings in the new LCMS service book retains a Eucharistic prayer but the others don't. I have no idea what the other American synods do.

As someone who grew up in the ELCA*, when I read the service outline posted by the Finnish goon I basically just went "yup" because it's really similar. The only non-ELCA services I remember going to off the top of my head are LCMS, some conservative Free Lutheran church, and I performed for a service at the big cathedral on the hill in Reykjavik once. But they were all very similar.

I'm gonna do a big post on the ELCA and some related American Lutheran stuff, so I'll go more into some liturgy stuff then.

* The ELCA didn't exist when I was born, but that's another story, too.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 15, 2013

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
Ladies here, especially in the super traditional denominations: Do you wear a veil to services?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Hoover Dam posted:

Ladies here, especially in the super traditional denominations: Do you wear a veil to services?

I wear a scarf on my head, because I really don't like the feel of a chapel veil and anything that's held on just by pins will get pulled off and gnawed by my son. I started doing it when I started attending the Extraordinary Form (a.k.a. Tridentine Mass), and then since the Ordinary Form is no less the Mass than the Extraordinary Form, started doing it whenever I attended Mass.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Fallen Rib

Lutha Mahtin posted:

As someone who grew up in the ELCA*, when I read the service outline posted by the Finnish goon I basically just went "yup" because it's really similar. The only non-ELCA services I remember going to off the top of my head are LCMS, some conservative Free Lutheran church, and I performed for a service at the big cathedral on the hill in Reykjavik once. But they were all very similar.

I'm gonna do a big post on the ELCA and some related American Lutheran stuff, so I'll go more into some liturgy stuff then.

* The ELCA didn't exist when I was born, but that's another story, too.

Figures. As with most things Missouri, the answer is probably either "C.F.W. Walther did it that way" or "Martin Luther wrote an offhand statement complaining about eucharistic prayers and we ran with it."

American Lutheranism can definitely get a bit "Judean People's Front"-like.

I'm looking forward to reading your post. Despite having generally moved away from Lutheranism, some of the Lutheran traditions, beliefs, and practices still hold a certain appeal.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hoover Dam posted:

Yep.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Question for some of you Eastern Orthodox folks: Why don't you accept the Gregorian calendar already? The Julian is obviously wrong.
Also, we didn't want to break with the calendar that we had up until then been using because it would have meant not celebrating the feasts on the same days that our ancestors had, which is kind of unnerving, as well as using a different algorithm to calculate Easter, which would mean that Easter isn't "really" celebrated on the same day that it always had been.

quote:

Eventually you guys will be celebrating Easter in Winter.
A myth from the Medieval West said that the year when Easter and Christmas are celebrated on the same day will see the end of the world. I guess we'll find out! :v:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Also, the Gregorian Calendar was sponsored by Pope Gregory XIII, and we don't play ball with the Bishop of Rome anymore.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 15, 2013

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

Hoover Dam posted:

I wear a handkerchief on my head, exactly like this random character from the Simpsons does: http://i.imgur.com/QHwP7mc.gif
Only one other woman in our parish wears a head-covering during church. She's in her 70s and is a recent immigrant from Iraq whose family left because things are extremely dangerous for religious minorities there now. However the other women/girls in her family don't wear anything on their heads.

When I go to an Eastern Rite service, I try to wear something that covers more hair and looks like what most of the other women are wearing.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
When I was a kid, an Antiochian Orthodox parish sprouted up across the street from us (kinda ruralish area in southcentral Alaska) after the previous neighbours (it was a farm-ish sort of property) were evicted due to being drug dealers. Naturally, I ended up socializing a bit with the young'uns from there. One Sunday I snuck over to attend matins and liturgy (and a couple of vespers after that) just 'cause it was something I'd never experienced (the fact that I had a crush on one of the Orthodox girls totally didn't factor into this, honest). This must have been around 1998 or so. Anyway, I clearly remember the event as the whole thing was so moving. All my previous church experience had been some normal American Baptist stuff from years before. However, the Orthodox didn't just talk about God, they actually worshipped him. That was really something I'd never seen before.

I guess the whole experience is hard to describe unless you've been there. However, the difference between a Protestant service and an Orthodox service is like "blah blah blah Jesus, blah blah blah" and tearing up and prostrating out of sheer joy.

I'm sure we could analyze this from a psychological perspective and arrive at various explanations, but seriously, if you've never been to an Orthodox service, it's totally worth the visit, even if it's from a sceptical perspective. The whole thing is just plain neat (assuming you appreciate singing and ritual).

Bob Nudd
Jul 24, 2007

Gee whiz doc!

comaerror posted:

I'm sure we could analyze this from a psychological perspective and arrive at various explanations, but seriously, if you've never been to an Orthodox service, it's totally worth the visit, even if it's from a sceptical perspective. The whole thing is just plain neat (assuming you appreciate singing and ritual).

Frank Shaeffer expressed the experience nicely (here, I think) as being a bit of a Jurassic Park moment. You've been studying dinosaurs for years in the abstract, and there it, a big snorting dinosaur, before your very eyes. If you've been reading about the early church, the desert fathers, ancient worship, et. al., it's a rude shock to find the self-same Church, hiding in plain sight, performing the same ancient liturgy in some dinky little church behind a strip-mall in Boise, Idaho, where a fourth-century Christian could wander in and give the proper responses to every prayer.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Also, we didn't want to break with the calendar that we had up until then been using because it would have meant not celebrating the feasts on the same days that our ancestors had, which is kind of unnerving, as well as using a different algorithm to calculate Easter, which would mean that Easter isn't "really" celebrated on the same day that it always had been.

Since the Julian calendar is a solar calendar, and it's "wrong", doesn't this mean any Christians using it haven't "really" been celebrating things on the correct day ever? My reasoning here is that the Julian calendar was at least one day off before the Gospels were even written. And yes, this is a totally serious question and not just me being a goony goon :iamafag:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hoover Dam posted:

(liberal Episcopalian here) I have one, but feel too shy to wear it, and worry that I'd be doing it as a fashion note rather than a religious one. I certainly don't cover my head to pray at home.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This sounds scarier than any hellfire or brimstone I've ever heard of :pwn:

It's a special kind of Hell, but probably still the least of what I deserve.

Bob Nudd
Jul 24, 2007

Gee whiz doc!

Moscow Mule posted:

...and looks like what most of the other women are wearing.

I was at a Coptic liturgy once and all the ladies' head coverings had ornate pictures of saints and patriarchs on the back, so it looked like there was an entire beardy congregation facing the wrong way.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Since the Julian calendar is a solar calendar, and it's "wrong", doesn't this mean any Christians using it haven't "really" been celebrating things on the correct day ever? My reasoning here is that the Julian calendar was at least one day off before the Gospels were even written. And yes, this is a totally serious question and not just me being a goony goon :iamafag:
Correct here means "same." The Julian calendar has been a little hosed forever, but if we stay with it at least we'll be hosed in the same way that we were in the past.

Edit: I used to believe there was a mystical significance to the Julian calendar, which the people who made the Gregorian calendar had entirely ignored. After learning more about the history behind it, I realized that was bullshit, but it's not uncommon as an idea in the Orthodox churches..
http://ecumenizm.tripod.com/ECUMENIZM/id10.html
http://www.3saints.com/oldcalendar.html

Bob Nudd posted:

I was at a Coptic liturgy once and all the ladies' head coverings had ornate pictures of saints and patriarchs on the back, so it looked like there was an entire beardy congregation facing the wrong way.
Where do I buy one?

IMJack posted:

It's a special kind of Hell, but probably still the least of what I deserve.
My choir director says that we won't truly know the liturgy until we lead one as choir directors ourselves. Which is why sometime this summer, she'll make each one of us do that. :byodood:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 15, 2013

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Correct here means "same." The Julian calendar has been a little hosed forever, but if we stay with it at least we'll be hosed in the same way that we were in the past.

For Catholics, "correct" tends to mean "correct." But I will hold out hope that in a few dozen millennia when your Easter finally aligns with ours again you will see it as a convenient opportunity to switch up without disrupting things. I don't really mind if it is "New Julian" instead of "Gregorian," but let's be sensible.

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Change, as I said, is bad. The change in attitudes toward authority, the relationship of the hierarchy to the laity, and the relationship of Catholicism to other religions is good, but then they hosed up the liturgy, so...bad. I do know that Vatican 2 decided that the Roman Catholics should stop trying to Romanize the Catholics who practice other rites, so that met with a very favorable reception, especially where it involved Slavic peoples.

Though I consider myself somewhat strict and old-fashioned, I do admire the Council. I don't really see it as my place to seriously dispute the decisions of councils. As you said, there were many great elements of it in terms of ecumenism.

I am glad the Mass is in English. I am glad I get to sing. I am fortunate to attend a Cathedral, which has a rather ornate production, an excellent choir which sings in plenty of Latin as well; however I do feel it's a shame when I go to a church with a magnificent altar and the priests have to do their consecrations on a table before it. It's not enough for me to declare the seat is vacant (besides, I respect all the Holy Fathers since the Council), but I would rather the priest face the beautiful altar during the consecration in these sorts of churches.

I think it's good for liturgy to update and change with the times, but to retain the essence of the old ways. Ritual is there to help us along in our faith, so if it becomes a stumbling block then it is doing a disservice to the congregation. The ritual is not, itself, the point.

As for Eastern Orthodox services, I have never attended one, but I went to a Russian Orthodox cathedral nearby during off-hours and it was awe-inspiring inside. I have an affinity for the EO, as do most Catholics it seems, and a curiosity about their liturgy (although it sounds a bit difficult to endure). At some point I'll have to stand-in on one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kyrie eleison posted:

For Catholics, "correct" tends to mean "correct." But I will hold out hope that in a few dozen millennia when your Easter finally aligns with ours again you will see it as a convenient opportunity to switch up without disrupting things. I don't really mind if it is "New Julian" instead of "Gregorian," but let's be sensible.
Our opinions may differ, but let's remain respectful. People tend to take it amiss when others barge in on them and tell them that the way they've always lived is wrong and senseless, and if the poor dears only understood their own ideas properly they'd agree with me (I mean, I agree with myself!). Doubly so when the people doing the barging-in are a much bigger, more powerful group of people.

You "don't mind" what we call it, as long as we end up changing ourselves to be more like you? How generous.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 16, 2013

• Locked thread