Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I thought Code of Princess was pretty ridiculous, too. But it was smaller, it came and went, and I forgot it existed.

The dilemma for me is that the art in this game is clearly problematic, but it's also so drat stylish I don't want to care.

I have the opposite problem. Not only is it problematic, the Dwarf and Warrior are just cluttered messes that are disgusting to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Chachi posted:

The main thing keeping me away from this game is the fact that it's a vanillaware title. I could just about tolerate the bizarrely creepy art if I knew the game would play as well as they're promising, but I don't know if I've ever played a VW game that didn't immediately start chugging as soon as anything remotely resembling a lot of action happened onscreen. An action game in this vein has to be smooth, and in my experience VW titles (especially Odin Sphere, good lord) just don't deliver that consistently. Until I see real, honest-to-goodness gameplay that isn't a carefully contrived character or monster showcase, my response is "why bother?"

My main worry about Dragon's Crown is if there'll be any bullshit difficulty in it. I remember Odin's Sphere having an area with little slime enemies that had super-high defense, and you could either
A. Chip them to death with every attack doing 1 damage
or
B. Grind to make a whole bunch Napalm items you didn't really know you needed beforehand unless you read a guide
I also remember there being wizards that could randomly turn you into frogs and one-shot you, such a frustrating time in my childhood.

I only played a little bit of Muramasa but I remember the gameplay being repetitive as hell.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I pre-orded the special edition of the muramasa rerelease for vita because I wanted the stickers. Yuuup.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So this is kind of related to Dragon's Crown: the upcoming Japanese PS3 retail version of Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara is different from the version we got today in the West on PSN/XBLA. It's actually being made by Capcom and helmed by people who worked on the original arcade releases, rather than simply ported by Iron Galaxy. It also includes the ability to have multiple versions of the same character in game, editing the colors on their sprites, and other neat stuff.

The downside? It's $42, comes out in 2 months, and will probably not have English text (but English voice acting is confirmed). No idea if Iron Galaxy will include this kinda stuff in their version, but I'm probably gonna pick this thing up alongside Dragon's Crown itself. Still cheaper than buying a copy of the Saturn version off eBay!

Chachi posted:

The main thing keeping me away from this game is the fact that it's a vanillaware title. I could just about tolerate the bizarrely creepy art if I knew the game would play as well as they're promising, but I don't know if I've ever played a VW game that didn't immediately start chugging as soon as anything remotely resembling a lot of action happened onscreen. An action game in this vein has to be smooth, and in my experience VW titles (especially Odin Sphere, good lord) just don't deliver that consistently. Until I see real, honest-to-goodness gameplay that isn't a carefully contrived character or monster showcase, my response is "why bother?"

At the very least the PS2 Classic re-release of Odin Sphere used the European version that had like no slowdown. If you own a PS3 you might want to look into it, people tell me a lot that it's way better than the US release.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Odin Sphere still has a lot of problems, unfortunately. It's a very pretty game but so so many problems.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Odin Sphere still has a lot of problems, unfortunately. It's a very pretty game but so so many problems.

This is the same for all of Vanillaware, really. There's always some non-intuitive mechanic that you need to focus on or you're screwed. Odin Sphere was the worst for this, with the stupid restauraunt and the planting seeds and what have you. Really pulls away from the core experience.

Dragon's Crown appears to be much more gameplay focused though. I don't see much in the way of fluff. If they can keep away form making the game into a loot grind, we're going to have a good time, I think.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Better for the game if they focused on the gameplay, but I sure will miss the surprising level of detail regarding food Vanillaware had in Odin Sphere and Muramasa. It always felt like Civpedia entries or the historical descriptions of nations and stuff you could find in the Age of Empires series: not really necessary but charming and fascinating.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Every time I see the Amazon sprite all I can think of is

butt abs

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Amazon reminds me a lot of Bayonetta in that she's built so over-the-top that it crosses the "gross" line into "yeah this is kinda great". Like the uncanny valley, sort of thing. Sadly the Sorc didn't make it, but eh.

Though mainly I like her because her speed and focus in melee appeals to my love for DMC/Bayonetta. A dude earlier was worried about VW not getting the game running and the characters responding fast enough for a good action game; I just got the old Mystara games on Steam and well, I have to admit that despite them being real good, the tight and somewhat ponderous 2.5D movement definitely needs getting used to in how similar it is to fighting games. Odin Sphere and Muramasa had the opposite problem for me in how loose it was, but I'd prefer VW's style over the old D&D games if only because the latter is less painful when it comes to moving around.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

ImpAtom posted:

As a lover of Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma, I felt like Odin Sphere was actively trying to keep me from figuring out how to loving play it. I would have been more willing to stick with it more if I could pick my playable character in non-chronological order but ~*~story~*~ took precedence.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Sarkozymandias posted:

As a lover of Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma, I felt like Odin Sphere was actively trying to keep me from figuring out how to loving play it. I would have been more willing to stick with it more if I could pick my playable character in non-chronological order but ~*~story~*~ took precedence.

Actually the characters' various levels jump around the chronology haphazardly anyway, I think the one you start as finishes last even.

Odin Sphere was kind of dumb.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, if this game has been translated into English then why doesn't it get an EU release?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, if this game has been translated into English then why doesn't it get an EU release?

The simplest answer is that Europe has always preferred the PC to consoles, because they've always been short-shrifted or outright ignored when it even comes to console games. It's been like that since the 80s.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not a monster it'sonlyamask.
How are people with both Vita and PS3 deciding which version to buy? Ten dollars less on Vita is nice but it looks like it could get cluttered on the small screen, plus possible performance issues.

Kind of a bummer that it supports cross-save but not cross-buy or cross-play. Who do they think is spending 90 dollars on a beat em up?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Schach posted:

How are people with both Vita and PS3 deciding which version to buy? Ten dollars less on Vita is nice but it looks like it could get cluttered on the small screen, plus possible performance issues.

Kind of a bummer that it supports cross-save but not cross-buy or cross-play. Who do they think is spending 90 dollars on a beat em up?

Japanese users definitely would, but as for us I don't think a lot of people will. I wish there were more details on that lack of cross-play, I don't see why it's not possible. I don't know much about the game or how it actually syncs up, but Dust 514 is PS3 while EVE is on PC and both sync up and allow for cross-playing.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 19, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sylphosaurus posted:

Because Atlus are a special kind of company. They've been in the games publishing business for decades (since 1990), but don't have a European wing yet. They don't even have an EU distribution partner - occasionally Koei and Ghostlight step up to publish stuff when Atlus gently caress up, but not always.

Atlus is pretty much the reason why I fear region-locking. If I couldn't import, I'd be deprived of a ton of games due to their ineptitude.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Schach posted:

The no cross play decision is one that really confuses me. Also, the whole EU thing. This is a type of game that is by far more fun and successful when you can play with friends. Single player, they run out of steam. With no cross play, this forces people to pick one or the other. It's drat expensive for it's type of game on top of that, which further pushes it into 'Only people who REALLY like this type of game' will get it. THEN the EU gets locked out for who knows how long(really, one can never say, it can be a week, a month, or months...), which even FURTHER pushes the player pool down.

The art style will, no doubt, shove a few folks off as well, though I suspect this won't be a huge bulk(fans of beat em ups might be able to overlook them. Personally I don't think the price is worth it for release but would consider it for a 20 or so-I kinda like the fighter but that's about it-the style doesn't offend me as much as I just do not like it. I feel it might have been better if they did EVERYTHING in that style-as in the wizard as some gangly goofy looking dude and the enemies also over the top, rather than kinda 'normal' looking enemies, two normal characters and then four freaks, the amazon being the equivalent of humanoid non Elucidian geometery. That being said, somehow I felt if everything looked extraordinarily freakish it would have gelled together more.)

Essentially they seem to be trying to screw themselves with the success of this game. Polarizing art aside as again I don't think that'll be a huge sale/no sale factor either way, locking out people playing together to make them choose, having a near full AAA price on a very niche type, and leaving out a continent and thus more multiplayer people are not shaping it up to be a huge mark on beatemups.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Azaael posted:

Essentially they seem to be trying to screw themselves with the success of this game. Polarizing art aside as again I don't think that'll be a huge sale/no sale factor either way, locking out people playing together to make them choose, having a near full AAA price on a very niche type, and leaving out a continent and thus more multiplayer people are not shaping it up to be a huge mark on beatemups.

I can't remember at what price Odin Sphere and Muramasa released at, but both of them managed to sell enough to keep Atlus happy and Vanillaware afloat without even going into half-million figures. Of course, that was a long while ago in terms of the industry so who knows if it'll be enough this time around, but I think Dragon's Crown has a fair chance of being a moderate success.

The lack of a European version is still going to hold it back pretty bad though.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
I think another bad habit I have with European games is that having lived in both countries(I live in the EU these days but still visit the US once a year) is that my brain keep converting prices from Euro to Dollar and then it freaks out. We end up with pretty expensive games(the VAT-some new PS3 games go up to 70e in Finland). If this ever DOES get an EU release, 50e is the equivalent of 67 US dollars. And if it's 50 US dollars, it will likely be 50e here as well due to said VAT.

As for sales v. success, I suppose it boils down to how much the game cost to actually make.

dontaht
Aug 4, 2007

Azaael posted:

I feel it might have been better if they did EVERYTHING in that style-as in the wizard as some gangly goofy looking dude and the enemies also over the top, rather than kinda 'normal' looking enemies, two normal characters and then four freaks, the amazon being the equivalent of humanoid non Elucidian geometery. That being said, somehow I felt if everything looked extraordinarily freakish it would have gelled together more.)

People who have played Vanillaware games before can tell you that they do indeed do EVERYTHING in that style. A lot of the humanoid enemies are built like the warrior. Huge head and upper body and tiny little ankles and wrists. Women range from fair/flat to balloon levels. Muramasa which comes out this month for Vita has some really good examples. Ogre monks with heads bigger than their bodies and a female boss with an rear end the size of half the screen. If walls of muscle and big breasts on playable characters bothers you that much then the rest of the game isn't going to help.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

dontaht posted:

People who have played Vanillaware games before can tell you that they do indeed do EVERYTHING in that style. A lot of the humanoid enemies are built like the warrior. Huge head and upper body and tiny little ankles and wrists. Women range from fair/flat to balloon levels. Muramasa which comes out this month for Vita has some really good examples. Ogre monks with heads bigger than their bodies and a female boss with an rear end the size of half the screen. If walls of muscle and big breasts on playable characters bothers you that much then the rest of the game isn't going to help.

Well, that's not strictly true, and I say that as a big fan of both Muramasa and OS. For example, the five protagonists of OS are all normally proportioned as well as the Valkyries and various assorted characters. Nearly everyone else that isn't is either an enemy like the Ragnanival Berserkers, non-human like Unicorn Knights, and/or characters of note like Odin and Odette.

If anything, I'd say Dragon's Crown is more consistent with how weirdly proportioned its characters are since what's ostensibly the most normal of the characters we know, the Elf and the Wizard, are actually still strangely proportioned since the former has a petite body contrasted with long legs and the latter has normal proportions for a human except he's huge.

EDIT: rewrote

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 19, 2013

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Why is this game's release so troubled anyway? It feels like it's been in development forever and at the end of all this it feels lacking on expected features coupled with a lovely price tag.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Sarkozymandias posted:

Why is this game's release so troubled anyway? It feels like it's been in development forever and at the end of all this it feels lacking on expected features coupled with a lovely price tag.

Wiki says the first publisher was overestimating the game's potential, and Atlus dialed a lot back as well exercising tighter control when they took over last year. The original plan was to have this retail for 30$ in NA, so who knows if Atlus was being realistic with expectations or they're intentionally price gouging above the norm since this will probably be a niche game?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This game seems cool, and the Amazon's fighting style seems to be what I'd prefer most, but I just can't get over her shelf-butt and running animation. :smith:

Ah well, at least I have Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Policenaut posted:

Considering that the director for this game has a long history with D&D and a love of Western fantasy, I always took Dragon's Crown's art direction as an attempt to pay homage to :nws: Frank Frazetta's work. :nws: I think a lot of Crown's art looks a lot like what would happen if you asked a modern day Japanese anime artist to draw something in his style.

Exactly!

Frazetta's style is awesome, really :nws:carnal and morbid:nws: at the same time. And he grabs :nws:stereotypes:nws: and runs with them.

Conan is the poo poo and I, for one, am completely psyched that Paul Verhoven is trying to direct Legend of Conan.

Also very excited for this game.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I love the art direction of this game because it's loving DIFFERENT. Having said that, the one thing that always drives me nuts with VanillaWare (or at least in this game + Odin Sphere) is how all the hammers are incredibly tiny. It's the weirdest thing and I can't not notice it.

Hazmat Sam
Dec 25, 2010

The dead do not "get high"

WendigoJohnson posted:

Also I'm curious why people didn't get as outraged about Code of Princess when that was released for the 3DS. Same type of game same type of art direction right down to pants being optional.

Because the character and world design were both done by Kinu Nishimura. Having a woman being the designer of scantily-clad characters makes people feel like puritans for complaining. It's why Bayonetta, of all things, had a civil internet debate and this game does not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hazmat Sam posted:

Because the character and world design were both done by Kinu Nishimura. Having a woman being the designer of scantily-clad characters makes people feel like puritans for complaining. It's why Bayonetta, of all things, had a civil internet debate and this game does not.

Also people did complain. Atlus did the same hilarious "censor the character design without saying they're censoring" thing for CoP as they're doing for Dragon's Crown. It basically amounted to them going "yeah, this design's pretty bad but what can you do?" You also didn't have anyone from the studio talking back or making stupid comments like you do with DC.

To be honest, I find the Frank Frazetta comparisons a little disingenuous. Frank Frazetta had a very very distinct art style, in terms of posing, anatomy and general atmosphere and Dragon's Crown (at least as far as character designs go) doesn't really capture it, for good or ill. It is its own thing and pointing out Frazetta isn't really to its benefit. Especially as characters like the Elf, Wizard or Sorceress really don't really evoke it even in that funhouse mirror way. They're way more styalized-anime than brutal barbarian. The Amazon and Dwarf you can kinda argue but largely in the "heavily muscled and wearing little" area. (And even then it's still very much in a funhouse mirror kind of way.)

I'm not trying to argue "this is bad" or anything, but it seems like a fairly hollow defense of the game's art because the things that people seem to find the most problematic are not really the aspects that are Frazetta-inspired. (Aside from maybe the Amazon, again, and the complaints there appear to be more "the anatomy" than "she's wearing two pieces of string as armor.") The monsters, from what I've seen, are much more in-line. (And look really loving cool.)

I should also add that "not Frank Frazetta" doesn't mean "bad."

Take this screenshot. This looks loving amazing. It helps that the Wizard is basically the most normal looking member of the cast aside from maybe the Elf, but in general it looks great. The character looks powerful and cool, the colors are bright and pop like nothing else, and this is the kind of game people would get excited for without question.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 21, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
What's that colored circle around the Wizard? Player identifier or hitbox?

There's one really frustrating thing in the old D&D games: not knowing whether you're in melee distance of an enemy across the y-dimension until you confirm the hit (good) or get hit (bad). Of course the latter is fine, except when you're fighting bosses since they tend to grapple when too close or abuse their computer reflexes to hit you before you can even react. That Displacer Beast, and especially the Ogre brothers in Shadow over Mystara were such a pain in the rear end because of that poo poo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kaedric posted:

I love the art direction of this game because it's loving DIFFERENT. Having said that, the one thing that always drives me nuts with VanillaWare (or at least in this game + Odin Sphere) is how all the hammers are incredibly tiny. It's the weirdest thing and I can't not notice it.

I'm not sure how it's different, but how does different always mean good? :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

What's that colored circle around the Wizard? Player identifier or hitbox?

There's one really frustrating thing in the old D&D games: not knowing whether you're in melee distance of an enemy across the y-dimension until you confirm the hit (good) or get hit (bad). Of course the latter is fine, except when you're fighting bosses since they tend to grapple when too close or abuse their computer reflexes to hit you before you can even react. That Displacer Beast, and especially the Ogre brothers in Shadow over Mystara were such a pain in the rear end because of that poo poo.

I think it's something to do with magic? I only seem to see it in shots where someone is casting a spell

Here's a similar shot of the Sorceress.

(Also a nice kind of example of the difference in design between the Wizard and Sorceress, but mostly because it's the clearest picture I saw upon a quick look.)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I'm not sure how it's different, but how does different always mean good? :v:

He didn't say that dude, come on.

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's something to do with magic? I only seem to see it in shots where someone is casting a spell

Here's a similar shot of the Sorceress.

(Also a nice kind of example of the difference in design between the Wizard and Sorceress, but mostly because it's the clearest picture I saw upon a quick look.)

Odd. Now that I think about it, it definitely can't be a player identifier because how would you see such a thin line in a graphically-intense game like this?

And yeah, that's the sucky thing about the Sorc. It's like seeing the female Barbarian in D3 right beside the Demon Huntress and her stiletto heels and default corset/bra combination.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I will defend to the death the Sorceress' hilarious run animation, though. Can't seem to find the gif for it, though.

She can't even see!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

gannyGrabber posted:

I will defend to the death the Sorceress' hilarious run animation, though. Can't seem to find the gif for it, though.

She can't even see!

Is that the one where she's holding onto her hat? I laughed when I saw it, it's the perfect " oh god I gotta get out of here" cartoon run.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Ughh...I wanted to get this on Vita but my friends are getting it on PS3 (even though they also have Vitas). Stop taking away games from my Vita's potential library jerks; it's small enough already :mad:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Overbite posted:

Is that the one where she's holding onto her hat? I laughed when I saw it, it's the perfect " oh god I gotta get out of here" cartoon run.

Also her juggs are literally up in front of her face, which is hilarious. Really the sorceress is the joke character, and nobody should take her design seriously.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
Any talk of additional characters/levels being added to the main game, either unlockable or through nickel-and-diming? Even if the game isn't coming out over here (EU), I'd be hard-pressed to pay 50 bones for a copy as is.

StevenM fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 21, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

BEAST RIDIN'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsGRsMdwCKc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojoSnFROQhc

It works just like Golden Axe.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Guess the Sorc's boobs aren't the only things that are way too huge about her :rimshot:

When you say mounts work just like in Golden Axe, what do you mean? Are they arcade-style powerups that last until you die/the level ends, or are they semi-permanent pets that you can summon with equippables/abilities?

vvv: Ah, alright. I was hoping for a bit more but I guess that's a whole new level of gameplay to tweak they probably don't have the resources for. Maybe next time; thanks for the info.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

toasterwarrior posted:

When you say mounts work just like in Golden Axe, what do you mean? Are they arcade-style powerups

yes but they have their own hp

• Locked thread