Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho
Just got finished watching this week's episode. I think we need some kind of twist on who the real villain this season is. Marcel is too weak to be the number #1 against Klaus. This girl witch is going to go nuclear sooner or later.

Thank god Elijah is back, hes the only reason I still watch :smug:

hope and vaseline posted:

Some voodoo that could permanently kill Klaus was used on the original Dad instead, I vaguely recall. Some double cross?

White Oak Stake killed the Daddy Original. Mommy Original made it so it won't burn up after use, using Alaric's daylight ring to coat it.

As for TVD, I hope we get some new information on the link between the professor and Daddy 'Gil. The Silas thing is already getting boring; Quetseya is the real villian now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Paul Wesley is having so much fun this season.

Oh hi Jeremy

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Goddammit, this episode is like a perfect storm of everything I hate about TVD. Love triangle, everything about Bonnie, and the impermanence of death and it's ultimate near meaninglessness in this show.

Oh hi Tyler

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Everything about the episode was bad excluding Caroline. I can only take the Bonnie stuff as the showrunner trolling me at this point. You kill her and still somehow make her take up even more of the story and be just as annoyingly selfish as a ghost? Ughhh.

Also how many drat traditions can one town have?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I wish they would just move on from Mystic Falls - another way that last season missed the mark was not using the Council as a way to force our characters on the run.

Murazor
Mar 9, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

I wish they would just move on from Mystic Falls - another way that last season missed the mark was not using the Council as a way to force our characters on the run.

But where else in America has enough celebrations/traditions for every episode?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Grudgingly liking The Originals more by the episode. Despite being relatively light on plot and high on exposition, it did a good job weaving the themes of family throughout the various factions, whether the bonds are strained by betrayal and sacrifice or strengthened by centuries-long devotion. Bringing Davina to the center of it all's a lot more entertaining than the power plays that initially drove the first few episodes.

Goddamn can Elijah wear a suit.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
This episode seems like it was plot clean up time, and it was appreciated. Smoothed out a lot of the unclear edges setup by the pilot and established the driving story going forward.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

This was the best episode of the season, finally answering all the questions we needed to know.

I agree it's heavy on exposition but I think that's where the show is strongest. The choices the characters make and the twists are where it's the worst, but when they actually stop to talk about poo poo some of the good acting can sell you on stuff that is either flimsy or sometimes even mind numbingly dumb.

I don't think it's going to but I'm really hoping it avoids the TVD sickness that is 'must top the previous threat with something even older and more powerful!'. They've already introduced the super power witch, next season we're due up for a witch vampire, then a vampire witch werewolf hybrid. You just know that poo poo is coming.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Midnight City posted:

This was the best episode of the season, finally answering all the questions we needed to know.

I agree it's heavy on exposition but I think that's where the show is strongest. The choices the characters make and the twists are where it's the worst, but when they actually stop to talk about poo poo some of the good acting can sell you on stuff that is either flimsy or sometimes even mind numbingly dumb.

I don't think it's going to but I'm really hoping it avoids the TVD sickness that is 'must top the previous threat with something even older and more powerful!'. They've already introduced the super power witch, next season we're due up for a witch vampire, then a vampire witch werewolf hybrid. You just know that poo poo is coming.

Vampire Diaries is the most unlikely of successors to DBZ.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Grudgingly liking The Originals more by the episode. Despite being relatively light on plot and high on exposition

They really need to tone down the exposition. They don't need to recap every single drat episode through dialog every time something is mentioned. It's really getting silly.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Isn't Tyler the most powerful person on TVD now that Bonnie is dead and Silas doesn't have mind control? They've almost managed to pull a Caroline with him and make him start liking him.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Midnight City posted:

Isn't Tyler the most powerful person on TVD now that Bonnie is dead and Silas doesn't have mind control? They've almost managed to pull a Caroline with him and make him start liking him.

I literally groaned out loud when he returned on last week's episode. Like, an actual involuntary groan. I thought he was gone for good, along with Klaus. Why the hell bring him back?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Why the hell does he keep disappearing anyway? He's there and then gone for long stretches of time. Is there something up with the actor?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Didn't these goddamn diaries burn down with her house aaaaagh

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Katherine's journey is the most interesting thing that they're doing this season so far. Everything else is just a circular retread of plots we've seen before, but the way they're evolving her is genuinely compelling.

edit: I would have been really loving upset if they actually went through with killing Katherine.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 1, 2013

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:bravo: show. Excellent ending.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

Pinwiz11 posted:

:bravo: show. Excellent ending.

Ok, its around that time where I sit and watch the evening of episodes I have recorded. I will now watch tonight's TVD and hope its not a pile of poo poo like everything else that aired this week.

Fun Tip: I like to watch them all sober to truthfully appreciate the production; unless its Sons of Anarchy, which needs to be watched drunk as gently caress to even stomach this season.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Goddamn can Elijah wear a suit.

He's married to Rachel Leigh Cook.

Can you imagine how ridiculously attractive a couple they make at premieres and poo poo?

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho
Not a bad episode. Kinda bummed I'm gonna have to deal with Tyler now on The Originals trying to kill Haley and the baby.

Anyone got any ideas why Katherine didn't die? Did her daughter turn her back into a vampire? :speculate:

Aaron being Dr. Douchebag's first subject fits into this plot, how?

Oh and, yea, I'm gay for Elijah too.

:flashfap: :evil:

kill your idols fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 1, 2013

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I laughed pretty drat hard at takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I really don't want to be overly negative considering we're on season 5 and I've known it the entire time, but somebody needs to take away the god drat reset button on deaths. I'd seriously pay $10 to somebody going back and just counting up how many times someone's been dead to not dead. There's no way it's under 25 bare minimum.

At this rate there's absolutely nothing that can happen on this show that I feel one way or another about. Did somebody die? Who cares they'll come right back. If not they'll annoy the poo poo out of us as a ghost. Or the xeroxed copy will show up. Characters that should be gone aren't (Bonnie), and characters who shouldn't be gone are (Rick / Tyler).

I am Jack's raging apathy.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I'm guessing her daughter (nice twist) gave her some blood just in case something happened to her so now she's in transition.

I'll forgive them all the dead/not deads as long as they leave Elena a vampire. I'm glad Damon came clean about his plan to work with Silas to bring Bonnie back to Elena and it didn't turn into this multi-episode deception thing. But blah...I don't give a crap about Bonnie Bennett. Bring back Alaric.

Also, on The Originals...was there some sparks between Haley and Elijah?

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I loved Katherine's reaction to her daughter. Tyler can stay the hell gone, his disappearing act got really boring and he's always making Caroline cry.

KilGrey posted:

Also, on The Originals...was there some sparks between Haley and Elijah?

Sure seemed like it. I loved that his face just lit up when he walked in and saw Rebekah and then Hayley. They emphasize his family first attitude all of the time, but it's usually brought up to justify how far he'd go to protect them. So it was really nice to see him get that little jolt of happiness just from having them all together.

Klaus doesn't seem to have any serious romantic interest in Hayley, but he's so territorial and competitive that it could be fun to see what happens if she gets together with his brother.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Midnight City posted:

I really don't want to be overly negative considering we're on season 5 and I've known it the entire time, but somebody needs to take away the god drat reset button on deaths. I'd seriously pay $10 to somebody going back and just counting up how many times someone's been dead to not dead. There's no way it's under 25 bare minimum.

At this rate there's absolutely nothing that can happen on this show that I feel one way or another about. Did somebody die? Who cares they'll come right back. If not they'll annoy the poo poo out of us as a ghost. Or the xeroxed copy will show up. Characters that should be gone aren't (Bonnie), and characters who shouldn't be gone are (Rick / Tyler).

I am Jack's raging apathy.

Nothing ever had much weight in this show, either for the deceased or the killer. You just gotta roll with it, I guess. Also, you don't want Tyler gone?

Regarding Alaric, I like him as much as everyone here, but he wouldn't work now that Damon's hugging people left and right and trying to resurrect Elena's loved ones instead of killing them.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, I can't be mad at it since the show has always done it, you'd just think by now one of the writers would have gotten bored and gone "you know, we've done this same exact thing at least 25 times by now, maybe we should try something different".

I don't know how Alaric would fit in still being around, they could have just left him crazy. Crazy Alaric was the best Alaric. I actually like Tyler unlike everybody else seems to, I don't think he's going to try to kill the baby but definitely Klaus.

I'm pinning all my hopes on Originals now, to me it's getting better by the episode while TVD gets worse by the episode.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 2, 2013

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I like Tyler when he's around, but he seems to keep getting written out for extended periods and at this point it's just weird when he's back and causing non-existent relationship drama. Maybe he'll have something more to do on the Originals.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Tyler can't kill Klaus as he'd be killing himself and pretty much most of the cast on TVD by doing that. He said he wants to make Klaus' miserable or something so in my mind that means Hayley and the baby are his best option right now.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(

kill your idols posted:

Not a bad episode. Kinda bummed I'm gonna have to deal with Tyler now on The Originals trying to kill Haley and the baby.

Is Tyler confirmed to be appearing on "The Originals"?

quote:

Anyone got any ideas why Katherine didn't die? Did her daughter turn her back into a vampire? :speculate:

If Katherine even had a drop of the cure remaining in her blood, it is also possible that she died, vamp blood turned her into a vampire again, and then the cure turned her back into a human. I think that's what they were getting at with the heart beat you could hear at the end of the episode.

The big reveal about Nadia being Katherine's daughter was one of those WTF!!! plot twist moments. I like it.

rainbow kittens fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 2, 2013

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

An Entertainment Weekly post in my Facebook newsfeed says a crossover is confirmed. No details yet on when he'll appear or for how long though.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I put off watching last night's until today and expected to come back to at least a few posts laughing at the ridiculous music in episode. When Rebekah/Marcel start having sex and the end montage were both :wtf: music selections.

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013

Katherine's journey is the most interesting thing that they're doing this season so far. Everything else is just a circular retread of plots we've seen before, but the way they're evolving her is genuinely compelling.

edit: I would have been really loving upset if they actually went through with killing Katherine.

Completely agree with you on this one, she's the most compelling character (no pun intended) by far. If they kill her, this show loses it's only interesting character now that Damon has been rendered mostly toothless. Not to mention that she has some of the sassiest lines, and is the only main female character to not be infected with the whole 'I need to be a good person' disease.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I loved the Katherine/Caroline bonding mission, and I loved even more that Katherine immediately undermined being proof of Elena's humanity by introducing herself. I'm also still really enjoying Tessa.

There are things that I'm still annoyed with, like how Ghost Bonnie is dull as hell, but at least the pacing seems to be improving.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Yeah, this is much better than last season. They seem to have gone the True Blood route of "let's not take this show seriously anymore" and it is definitely working out for them.

Also, Katherine was always the best thing about this show (aside from non-pushover Damon). The writers are excellent at creating scheming/dastardly/cunning archetype characters and I'd be interested to see what Julie Plec could come up with once this show is over.

That being said, I re-watched the first two seasons over on Netflix and I'll be damned if it isn't some excellent freaking television. It's a perfect blend of supernatural happenings, political intrigue, family drama, historical grudges and sarcastic/dark humor and the second season takes off like a fever pitch and never loses its steam- not once. Too bad they haven't really been able to recapture that feel since the end of S2.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 10, 2013

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Is Silas' knock knock joke too long to be the thread title? Because it was amazing

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

Is Silas' knock knock joke too long to be the thread title? Because it was amazing

I really want Silas to stick around. I know that Paul Wesley has always disliked having to play the "good" guy, but really, I think he's been killing it as both Silas and memory wiped Stefan. In the past when he's been playing ripper Stefan, the character was still dull because he was basically crazy violent mainly for shock value, to show how "different" he was to normal Stefan, and to show how damaged he is.

But Paul Wesley as Silas work great because, well, he's a hilariously sarcastic asshat. I didn't even like Silas last season when he didn't have an actor. It'll be a terrible shame if Stefan-Silas gets offed after only a handful of episodes when loving Klaus managed to stick around like a sore thumb for so long he got his own show.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I think Paul Wesley plays better bad guys than good, which makes me like him much better this way than when he was the good guy in the beginning of the series. I'd prefer to have him stay this way and leave Damon as a better good guy, since Ian Somerhalder plays a better good guy than bad.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I just want the series to tell a new story rather than the same reheated poo poo since season two.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

PriorMarcus posted:

I just want the series to tell a new story rather than the same reheated poo poo since season two.

Gotta keep that triangle rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'm just getting around to watching this week's Originals. That cold open was loving fantastic and it's great that this show is getting a little more leeway than the formulaic trap that TVD is stuck in. I still kind of zone out whenever Marcel is on-screen though.

Yep, I think I'm more invested in The Originals at this point! Weird to say that considering how much I've loathed the overuse of Klaus for so long. That little smile he gave when Elijah just ripped through everyone in that church.

I loooove Cammy's character and what they're doing with her. She exists as a counterbalance to compulsion's removal of agency (hello season 4 Elena) and is constantly making Klaus question himself. I hope she stays around and doesn't get killed in a future body count finale.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 11, 2013

• Locked thread