Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Feindfeuer posted:

Just add blocks to get more lenght out of your ship, the longer a space ship, the sleeker it looks. Don't be afraid to add stuff that does nothing, though you have some nice ideas going (engine nacelles are always great) you seem to have a hard time commiting to just adding blocks for the sake of look and instead keep to just build around the central working parts of your ship.

tl;dr - make it longer, add more blox

Hrm, I don't want to add too much mass though. I also like the idea of keeping engines sticking out to a minimum. Ah well, time for more experiments. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

"Wow that picture is amazing" said the fat controller.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

This game has more potential than any other small-time game that I've played this year.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Omnicarus posted:

This game has more potential than any other small-time game that I've played this year.
Especially once we start getting some useable tools/weapons, the ability to make ship blueprints/shipyards, and a stable goon server of giant floating spacedicks with asteroids for balls and a constant stream of white-painted torpedos launching blindly into space.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Well, I'm getting better, at least I think I am.

I present to you fine people:

THE ARROW SHIP!

So yeah, I was trying for a wing design. I think it backfired, but it's an interesting design shape at least. :v:

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
Get some more forward thrust on that sucker and go click on some space ships. Right click right into the loving bridge.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

E-Tank posted:

Well, I'm getting better, at least I think I am.

I present to you fine people:

THE ARROW SHIP!

So yeah, I was trying for a wing design. I think it backfired, but it's an interesting design shape at least. :v:

Make a giant cookie to fly into :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there any real info on what the actual gameplay of this is going to be when it's done?

I mean, the technology part of it is excellent from what I can see, looks cool, has cool technical features, but what're they going to make out of it?

A simulation aspect where you have to build a solid and functioning spacecraft/station would be nice, as would a combat-heavy approach, exploration would be cool as would plenty of AI units to fight against/defend from, exploring spooky derelicts in space would be neat, playing space hulk to recover new building piece schematics and such, as well as obviously some multiplayer combat though I'm not sure I'd play much of that given the problems with minecraft-style games and multiplayer.

Basically I'd love to get the game but there's no info on what actual game it's going to be.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
So far they've announced plans (and, to unclear degrees, complete but unreleased functionality) for a resource gathering and crafting oriented survival mode that sounds pretty reminiscent of minecraft, though that would need some kind of external threat to complete the gameplay, which there's been no hint of. They've also declared intent for mod support, so I expect we'll see things like adventure maps and various PvP gamemodes whether or not they're officially implemented.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 28, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm a man of simple space-tastes. If you give me a spaceship builder, I will make Homeworld stuff. (That I am never happy with.)

I'll also make engine rooms that take the concept a little too literally.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kushan fighters might work better with the style of the blocks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ralith posted:

So far they've announced plans (and, to unclear degrees, complete but unreleased functionality) for a resource gathering and crafting oriented survival mode that sounds pretty reminiscent of minecraft, though that would need some kind of external threat to complete the gameplay, which there's been no hint of. They've also declared intent for mod support, so I expect we'll see things like adventure maps and various PvP gamemodes whether or not they're officially implemented.

Yeah literal minecraft in space wouldn't work because minecraft is about building pretty stuff and keeping the monsters out while going up the tech tree to get access to prettier building stuff, also not starving.

You'd need some equivalent of monsters and depleting resources at least, and if the point is to build a ship, something to use the ship on would also be useful.

Just you alone in space building everything would be a bit weird.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Kushan fighters might work better with the style of the blocks.

Yeah, I'll get to that whenever I get around to making more poo poo. For sure the ion frigates will be perfectly do-able.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Orv posted:

I'm a man of simple space-tastes. If you give me a spaceship builder, I will make Homeworld stuff. (That I am never happy with.)

I'll also make engine rooms that take the concept a little too literally.

I have the same problem with space engines. I made a massive 3 engine x 3 engine x 3 engine modified cube matrix with interspersed engines in the spaces, sealed it off inside a 2 block thick cube of armor, and it can be accessed for repairs by a pair of catwalks that are built directly through the spaces. Then I stayed up last night until 1am building a giant hangar that can fit and park at least 3 of the large starter ships, with catwalks and stairs along either side and reflector lights beaming down recesses in the ceiling.

I've decided I'm basically going to build a functional star destroyer class ship, with space and dimensions determined by room placement. I'll leave a bunch of maintenance crawl spaces of course, and probably a one to two block empty space between rooms and the ship's armored exterior. This is already shaping up to be a massive ship.

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 28, 2013

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
'Maintenance crawlspaces' are pretty loving big to SE large ship scale. I keep needing to remind myself that. The only super large areas I build are to accommodate large reactors and/or cargo.

Love the ladder block though put ladders everywhere :buddy:

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I also discovered you can make gravity guns by placing a bunch of gravity generators facing the same direction in a tube, and placing a hanging object and then deleting the connecting part to shoot it out at high speeds. The more gravity generators you place in an area, the stronger the force. I know there has to be someway this can be used as an elevator.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CountingWizard posted:

I also discovered you can make gravity guns by placing a bunch of gravity generators facing the same direction in a tube, and placing a hanging object and then deleting the connecting part to shoot it out at high speeds. The more gravity generators you place in an area, the stronger the force. I know there has to be someway this can be used as an elevator.

Huh, how'd you do that exactly? I can't get any of the buildable objects to actually adhere to gravity, they're all just sitting there immovably in space. It's still pretty funny to slingshot my dude over ridiculous distances.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Huh, how'd you do that exactly? I can't get any of the buildable objects to actually adhere to gravity, they're all just sitting there immovably in space. It's still pretty funny to slingshot my dude over ridiculous distances.

Primitives adhere to gravity or lack thereof once they're no longer connected to a piece of a ship. So build a huge piece of whatever with a single block connecting it to an actual ship and then delete the single block.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Orv posted:

Primitives adhere to gravity or lack thereof once they're no longer connected to a piece of a ship. So build a huge piece of whatever with a single block connecting it to an actual ship and then delete the single block.

I tried just that, once as a part of the ship carrying the generators, once as a part of another ship entirely. Every time it'll just sit there, and if I give it a nudge it'll float around but completely ignore the gravity. I even tried standing on it with my jetpack out while being affected by the gravity. Did I accidentally break the game's physics or is that a setting I need to enable first or something?

edit: I also tried the same principle with a wholly new world on the prebuild ship and station. Still no dice.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 28, 2013

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So this is a thing I'm going to try and shoe-horn into all my ships/stations from now on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqbqewilLvE

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ijyt posted:

So this is a thing I'm going to try and shoe-horn into all my ships/stations from now on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqbqewilLvE

I was thinking with gravity generators and ramps it should be possible to make something like that.

Gravity plating would be a great addition, like, blocks which pull you to them but only if you're about two or so meters above the block.

Lawlcat
Oct 24, 2013
I could never figure out how to do that. If I make a huge ring and put gravity generators on all 4 sides, I just get no gravity. If I remove one, I fall towards the average of the others. Never seems to just switch based on closest

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
The two opposing generators are cancelling each other out (both are trying to pull you in and are of equal strength) and thus you are left with zero gravity. The cool 90 degree hallway trick is using the 150m limit of one generator and having it meet the next.

In other words, you're on the right track, but your generators are too close together!

CountingWizard posted:

You magnificent bastard. :swoon:

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I can't wait until we get to the explosion testing alpha phase. Gonna blow up ships/stations/asteroids/planets with my Deathstar 24/7.

I hope they implement shielding similar to the early footage of Nexus 2. It looked like layers of aerogel when impacted.

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 28, 2013

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Goddamnit you jerks. Not a single dickship? Really?

You have let me down. You could even have a video of a giant majestic dickship crashing into a buttship. But no, you make actual realistic sorta looking spaceships.
I'm tempted to fill this void even though I'm tight on cash because you are all missing the true purpose of the game.

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.

Orv posted:

I'll tell you one thing, I'm not going to be happy until I see a Hiigaran Shipyard. :colbert:

Blue for the hangar sections mandatory.

yulia tymotebow
Jan 8, 2011

by Lowtax

Tornado Lazers posted:

You have let me down. You could even have a video of a giant majestic dickship crashing into a buttship. But no, you make actual realistic sorta looking spaceships.
I'm tempted to fill this void even though I'm tight on cash because you are all missing the true purpose of the game.

If it makes you feel better my ship that got away from me that I mentioned previously in the thread was a giant dick-ship. :(

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Tornado Lazers posted:

I was starting to make a long smaller ship with a long shaft and a rounded engine at the tip, unfortunately one of the engines went haywire and exploded, forever scarring my dickship. :qq:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

yulia tymotebow posted:

If it makes you feel better my ship that got away from me that I mentioned previously in the thread was a giant dick-ship. :(

There's a Freudian joke in there somewhere.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

E-Tank posted:

I was starting to make a long smaller ship with a long shaft and a rounded engine at the tip, unfortunately one of the engines went haywire and exploded, forever scarring my dickship. :qq:

Man don't get hung up on it, that happens to a LOT of dickships.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

Man don't get hung up on it, that happens to a LOT of dickships.

Pre-mature detonation? I dunno man. It really hurt, watching that thing blow.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Oh my word, there is one map on the workshop called The Shipyard and has some wonderful creations on it.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=188987333&searchtext=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPvkQ2c7sm8&t=11s
There is this massive battleship that breaks apart in the most amazing ways. :buddy:

Also is there some way to disable everything but power and gravity generators? I want to walk inside derelict wrecks more reliably.

BillyJoeBob fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 29, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
I really hope one of these "minecraft in space" games eventually adds actual stars into the game world that can catch your ship in their gravitational pull (I think starmade may do this kind of, but I've flown through stars in that game with no issues so I really don't count it). Space Engineers I think would be pretty rad for this since I could see them easily using the stress system to show parts of your ship getting wrecked as you get dragged closer.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Enzer posted:

I really hope one of these "minecraft in space" games eventually adds actual stars into the game world that can catch your ship in their gravitational pull (I think starmade may do this kind of, but I've flown through stars in that game with no issues so I really don't count it). Space Engineers I think would be pretty rad for this since I could see them easily using the stress system to show parts of your ship getting wrecked as you get dragged closer.

This doesn't really make a whole lot of sense on the scale these games operate on. A star's gravity might affect your flight course, but only over many thousands of miles. Even actual modern computers could easily compensate for that. Assuming the ship is decently constructed, stress from gravity would only impact it when it was incredibly close. Which at that point you'd be melted as well.

edit: I have no idea what Starmade is like but Space Engineers seems to operate on a realistic scale.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 29, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I want to be able to incorporate asteroids into spaceships so I can build a big red trashcan around one

The Jupiter Mining Corporation ship Red Dwarf! And then fill it with Starbugs

It's cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere, I'm all alone, more or less...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pham Nuwen posted:

I want to be able to incorporate asteroids into spaceships so I can build a big red trashcan around one

The Jupiter Mining Corporation ship Red Dwarf! And then fill it with Starbugs

It's cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere, I'm all alone, more or less...

I like these ideas because I just happen to be watching this right now!

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
I can't wait for large multiplayer servers so we can all show up in a big goon pirate battleship, launching boarding pods into a crippled cruiser and take all the resources they mined and toiled for :black101:

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

I was experimenting with a giant saw design last night, I think i might have worked out how to make a ship which can reliably cut station sized ships in half. Needs more sciencing though. It will be pretty much destroyed itself in the process though, apart from the control bits.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
So once I got home, I tested my gravity gun. You guys were right, it doesn't work. I'm not sure why my catwalks fell when I accidentally disconnected their anchor point earlier, its not making sense.

I can however make gravity elevators that shoot you from one isolated platform to another, each one containing a flat space that catches you.

In other news, construction of the bridge is underway. I've situated it at the top back half of the ship so that it can look down on the rest of the ship. Its shaped like an open hallway five spaces wide with a roof overhead by about 3 spaces, almost like a sword's blade and ending in a rounded tip. The ship's hull will slant downwards from there so a nice 320 degree field of view can be achieved (excluding the rear). It makes me wish I could install giant glass windows or some transparent barrier to make it more realistic, but for now I've left it open aired.

I really think they need to add larger capital sized weaponry and turrets. The turrets currently available are tiny compared to the guns that are placed on modern sea faring vessels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I think this game would be immensely better if you could move faster in the jetpack; I'm so tired of slowly spinning around ring segments.

• Locked thread