Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Haystack posted:

Might as well do an art dump

Gloranthan "Globe"

Link for huge version

Arachne Solara and the Great Compromise

Prax

The five seasons of Glorantha (From here):

Esrola in Sea Season

Raibanth (Lunar Empire) in Fire Season

Tarsh in Earth Season

Shadows Dance in Dark Season

Boldhome (Sartar) in Storm Season

These are really great! The "globe" cube especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

fez_machine posted:

Eh, because I don't have anything better to do and nowhere else to post this, here is the seven members of the Community Study Group as the seven Light Bringers, which I thought up after reading how heavily Dan Harmon is into the monomyth.

Jeff - Orlanth
Pierce - Eurmal
Abed - Lhankor Mhy
Shirley - Chalana Arroy
Troy - Elmal (Flesh Man?)
Annie - Issaries
Britta - Ginna Jar?

Swap Britta with Shirley and I'll tentatively agree.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So can anyone identify all the figures on that Gloranthan world map?

The Wondersaurus
Jun 28, 2005
The Wondersaurus is probably extinct, like most dinosaurs
Some, but I'm missing a few.

In the east you have Theya, Goddess of the Dawn and in the west is Rausa, the daughter of Yelm. I don't recognize the northern and southern deities, as that is certainly not Valind up north

The underworld figures are generally much more recognizable: the throned figure at the nadir of the sun's path is Bijiif, the lowest part of Yelm that fell into hell when Orlanth slew him (or when Rebellus Terminus murdered Emperor Murharzarm, Yelm's son, and at last Yelm understood the Other and could not bare the realization and shattered into pieces). The skeleton and the medusa are, respectively, Deshlotralas and Annara Gor, the rulers of the Third Underworld. The skeleton holding the whip is Deshkorgos, the Monster Man, keeper of the Fourth Underworld. The red and black demon woman carrying a bell is clearly Natha, ruler of the Second Underworld and current incarnation of the Red Moon. Finally the troll matron is Kyger Litor, mother of all trolls.

The underworld deities can all be traced back to their Gods Wall descriptions, but I'm not sure what the best source for the directional deities is.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair
The directional beings all remind me more the ancient Burtae that dwell in those lands. The Luatha to the West, the Agi to the South, and the Altinae to the North. The eastern figure might be the Vithelan demigods that conquered Vithela from the antigods, or it might be Vith themself.

The Wondersaurus
Jun 28, 2005
That sounds right. I remember that there are art direction notes for it, I just have no idea where to find them.

And in my defense, Rausa is queen of the Luatha, at least according to the Heortlings.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Could someone explain what antigods are?

The Wondersaurus
Jun 28, 2005
The Antigods are a theological concept from Vithela and Kralorela. They are the enemies of the good gods. rebels against the perfect cosmic order and seek the ruination of the world. Kralorelan myth holds, for instance, that the Fire Minister was forced into hiding when the antigod Sekever attacked Kralorela with an army of demons and walking corpses, chasing the sun from the world. An Orlanthi equivalent term could include everyone from Valind, the evil god of winter to Wakboth the Devil.

Rhetorically, it can be used to refer to any god that the Vithelans and Kralorelans don't like, but it strictly only refers to evil local deities.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

The Wondersaurus posted:

The red and black demon woman carrying a bell is clearly Natha, ruler of the Second Underworld and current incarnation of the Red Moon.
What's the story behind that? Why is the current incarnation of the Red Moon in the Underword?

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

She's the Keeper of the Second Hell. The Dara Happans, and therefore the Lunars, have a lot of Hells, and those Hells need a lot of guardians. Natha (the Sacrificer, the Nemesis, the Mother of Murder, the Mistress of the Balance) dwells there, but also dwells on the Moon within her Fortress, which has seventeen gates. Which gate you enter determines what aspect of Natha you encounter within. Presumably, if you step through the right(?) gate, you'll meet the Natha from Second Hell. Natha is also an aspect of Sedenya, the Ultimate Knowable Moon, and the face she shows in the Modern Age. This is in comparison to Taraltara, the Ultimate Unknowable Moon. The metaphor used is that Sedenya is the footstool of the Goddess, where we (in this metaphor, a prostrate worshiper) can gaze and see. Taraltara is the Goddess herself, who is impossible to view without achieving the mystical absolute. The Moon that we can see is Sedenya, but the Red Goddess is much, much larger than that.

Despite her importance, Natha isn't as commonly followed as you might think. As the Mistress of the Balance, she occupies a dangerous position. Use her worshipers as your assassins, and they might decide that their morality dictates your death for how many lives you've ordered extinguished. As I envision her, she's the concept of creating Harmony via the use of Disorder. She creates havoc and disrupts the natural order of things, in order for a greater harmony to be achieved.

The Wondersaurus
Jun 28, 2005
Well, Natha is very commonly followed - in her manifestation as the war god and one of the Seven Mothers, Yanafal Tarnils.

As for why she's in the underworld, we have to look at the earliest myths where Natha shows up. She is not a terribly important figure in Dara Happan religion, but she's much more important in the neighboring Pelandan religion (the source book for that is The Entekosiad, by the by). In there, she is presented as the counterbalance against kings and emperors. For example, she created suicide as a form of individual rebellion against the emperor and first came to speak for the ancient goddesses whose sacrifices had been outlawed.

My personal interpretation is that when she was incorporated into the Dara Happan religion, as part of incorporating Pelanda into the empire, she is regarded as a deity of the underworld, along with all the other rebels.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Say, does anyone have any real world examples of gods having aspects, or a place I can read more about those? Searching for aspects (like with Vinga and Orlanth) just brings up Homestuck stuff.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Aspects? You mean like how someone is say, God of the Sun or Wine or Poetry?

The Greek and Roman Pantheons were full of that stuff, as were the Egyptians, really most antiquity religions.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Some of the easiest possible examples, from the Roman religion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epithets_of_Jupiter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juno_(mythology)#Roles_and_epithets
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_(mythology)#Name_and_epithets

Look for epithets and roles, more than aspects, and you'll probably find a lot of examples.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
OK, this is going to take multiple posts and I'm working on the material as I post, so it may be a while before part 2. Note that my own experience with heroquesting is based almost entirely on the alpha rules for the RQ3 system, so some of this may need tweaking to be brought into line with developments since then.

Fate Core Heroquesting rules part 1

Preparation Stage: After deciding upon what quest will be attempted and what the questers hope to achieve, determine how much support the quest has received and determine which characters will act in which roles. (Characters with unassigned roles may participate directly by entering the hero plane as they are, or may provide ritual support as explained below.)

Any quester with a specific role receives the following benefits:
Gain a temporary additional aspect associated with the role. (Either set these up as part of the quest design or determine them at this time.) This is treated as a Hero-level aspect in all respects. If the quester has at least one Rune-level or Hero-level aspect normally, the new temporary aspect comes with one Hero point for free. (If you want easier heroquesting, allow initiates to get the free Hero point as well.)
For every aspect the quester has which can be associated with the role, the quester may temporarily replace any or all of these aspects with temporary Hero-level aspects associated with the role. For every aspect replaced in this way, the quester receives a free Hero point. Worshipers of a deity who perform a heroquest in the role of that deity receive an extra Hero point.

Questers with unassigned roles instead receive one Hero-level aspect, "Supporter of (X)," and must select a quester with a specific role to be (X). If the quester has at least one Rune-level or Hero-level aspect normally, he or she receives a Hero point for free as well. Unassigned questers may refuse this aspect if they choose.

The GM then decides upon the level of ritual support and assigns the quest a number of additional Fate points based upon it. (An unsupported quest receives none; a well-supported quest launched from a major temple on the appropriate holy day might offer as many three Fate points per stage/scene in the quest.) These form a pool of Fate points usable by anyone on the quest for invokes or compels; they cannot be used to buy off a compel, however. At each stage of the quest, the ritual support adds additional points to the pool unless it is disrupted.

Characters acting as ritual supporters may add a single temporary aspect to a quester using the normal rules (often, "ritually supported," but there may be other logical options) during each stage, but no more than one at a time. They may also contribute one of their own Fate, Rune or Hero points to the support pool at the beginning of each stage.

Questing: Each stage in the quest constitutes a distinct scene. Depending upon the quest, time may be considered to have passed between scenes, so for some quests, characters may be able to heal injuries or recover from hunger stress or similar kinds of stress. While questing, characters do not recover Fate points, Rune points or Hero points except by being compelled. (They may, however, receive magical objects with their own aspects and associated Hero points.)

Many tasks are significantly more difficult on the Hero Plane, especially if one tries to depart from the expected course of action. GMs should employ frequent compels to make walking a different path costly and to make success easier for those who play their parts properly.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So, the kickstarter had its december update a few days ago.

To sum up: some unforeseen complications (Rick's day job is sending him to china for a few weeks, among other things) have pushed the guide back by maybe half a month. They're expecting to finish the atlas and the first volume of the guide by the end of the year, and the second book sometime soon after the new year. Hopefully they'll put out the PDfs as they finish things up.

Anyway, enjoy some huge spreads:

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
I bought the Sartar book a few days ago and this setting is really rad!

What are some other systems people have used to run Glorantha?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I have a feeling various iterations of FATE are going to pop up a lot in the answers. Me, I think Marvel Heroic Roleplaying could accommodate this setting really well.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

I started doing a Storytelling conversion, mainly because that's the one I'm most familiar with. There's a Hero splat that works well for the setting, and I was planning on riffing off of Mage's spellcasting to stat out rune magic.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Down With People posted:

I bought the Sartar book a few days ago and this setting is really rad!

What are some other systems people have used to run Glorantha?

My choice, off the cuff, would be DITV or AW. DITV i could probably hack together in an hour or so, AW would probably be better but i'd expect it to take me some time and i'll probably do it after i get my hands on the guide.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You probably couldn't run Glorantha in Apoc World.

You could make Glorantha World pretty easily, though. Sartar World. World of Dragon Pass.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

^ Other World, duh.

I'm pretty happy with Heroquest, personally.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mr. Maltose posted:

You could make Glorantha World pretty easily, though. Sartar World. World of Dragon Pass.

Well yea, of course. I feel like i'd need to know a lot more, but the first thing that occurs to me is that there's 5 AW stats, there's 5 condition runes, condition runes seem to govern things the way that AW are intended (they make you 'good' at dramatic categories of options), so there's that. Things like heroquesting and what not seem like they'd be harder.

DITV would be loving easy though, just make runes traits and make it mandatory to spend some minimum amount on rune traits.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

kill puppies for orlanth

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
kill puppies for chaos would be the best game. Just poo poo tier cultists in a clan, trying to sloooowly gain power by talkin to Malia or hanging with Broos.

cabman567
Aug 15, 2010
Where do old women fit in when it comes to Ernalda worship? Since it sounds like Ernalda worship is heavily reliant on fertility, what happens to women as they age?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

cabman567 posted:

Where do old women fit in when it comes to Ernalda worship? Since it sounds like Ernalda worship is heavily reliant on fertility, what happens to women as they age?

They could move to Ernalda's mother - Asrelia. She is the goddess of grandmothers, luck, treasure and prosperity. Or they can still worship Ernalda in a different aspect. She is a Great Goddess, so she has a lot of ways to approach her.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mr. Maltose posted:

kill puppies for chaos would be the best game. Just poo poo tier cultists in a clan, trying to sloooowly gain power by talkin to Malia or hanging with Broos.

Excuse me, are you suggesting that people keep dogs as pets!?

File this hate mail under "puppies"

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

cabman567 posted:

Like Jenx says, Asrelia is one option. Ty Kora Tek is another, for those women who find themselves growing more inclined towards Death than Life in their old age. There are no doubt hundreds of other regional and local cults that fill the same or similar roles. One of the oldest and most powerful priestesses of Ernalda (at least, in Sartar), Entarios, is a devotee of Enferalda the Supporter, an aspect of Ernalda who strengthens her husband and family by her presence (and occasionally has to carry Orlanth's beaten and battered body off of the battlefield). In modern times, with the threat of the Lunar Empire all around and many Orlanthi in subjugation, many women of all ages have also performed the ritual that allows them to draw on the magic of the vengeful Red Woman, even if they wouldn't ordinarily be Vingans. That's not an ordinary event, though.

Tulip posted:

Excuse me, are you suggesting that people keep dogs as pets!?

File this hate mail under "puppies"

Yeah, the game is clearly kill puppies for yinkin.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Some of the early fluff suggested that redheads got a lot of poo poo because of the Lunars. I'm just picturing Lunar missionaries trying to recruit Vingans as part of a ginger solidarity campaign. This probably ended poorly.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

So, at the back of Esrolia: Land of 10,000 Goddesses there is this thing:

Does this book even exist, and is it worth hunting it down? It seems like it might have some pretty useful/sweet information in it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jenx posted:

So, at the back of Esrolia: Land of 10,000 Goddesses there is this thing:

Does this book even exist, and is it worth hunting it down? It seems like it might have some pretty useful/sweet information in it.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/50031/Stafford-Library---Arcane-Lore check it out for yourself. But I'm guessing like most Stafford library stuff it's a sketch more than anything super fulfilling.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib
So my personal confession is that when I was a kid I used to see ads for Glorantha stuff in Dragon all the time, but I never got around to getting any. I thought that the stuff looked really cool, but my LGS was basically all about D&D, model trains, and manga to the exclusion of all else. I picked up some Mongoose RQ stuff a few years ago but that was really it. Flash forward to now, when RQ6 and HQ2 are a thing. I've managed to do a little bit of poking around in the setting, to the point where I've learned that Glorantha's particular take on worldbuilding is right up my alley. But of course I don't have any of the books. I've shelled out for all of Moon Design's in-print books (I found out about the Guide to Glorantha kickstarter too late; I am sort of impatient for them to TAKE MY loving MONEY ALREADY).

To get to the actual question part, what are the most core pieces of published fluff to get one's hands on?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Wait for the Guide. I think it's been pushed back to next month because of some things, but it's going to be the one-stop shop that everything after is going to build off of. I know, it's painful as Hell to wait for it.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Jeff Richard has said that at least the .pdf of Volume 1 of the Guide should be out before the end of December, and they'll release Volume 2 along with the physical books in January. Then again, who knows what else might pop up to slow things down.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

What resources are there for running a King of Dragon Pass type campaign? I have Sarter: KoH and the Sartar Companion; they're useful, but a lot of it is focused on the Hero Wars runup. In particular it would be nice to know where particular clans end up settling.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib
I'd like to wish everyone a merry Day 225 of the Orlanthi calendar!

(Feel free to check my math. There are only 294 days in a Gloranthan year, and it has been 279.9 days since the last vernal equinox on Earth, so if 294/365 = x/279.9 then x=225.454).

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Haystack posted:

What resources are there for running a King of Dragon Pass type campaign? I have Sarter: KoH and the Sartar Companion; they're useful, but a lot of it is focused on the Hero Wars runup. In particular it would be nice to know where particular clans end up settling.

The current philosophy is not to detail the exact locations of clans or even some tribes, I think?, so that GMs and Players can feel free to slot in a clan and tribe of their own creation wherever they like. Which is understandable as creating your own tribe from scratch is a big part of the whole Heroquest experience.

I think they ultra-detail the colmyr to give you and sense of how things should be and then basically leave it up to you to poke your finger down on the map and go "HERE! This is where our clan is."

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 25, 2013

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'd rather DIE than be creative :argh:

...but really, that's a fair point. I ended up finding the Heroquest 1e Dragon Pass Gazetteer, which has more detailed information about the lay of the land. Plus my wife decided to settled her clan right next to the coylmar, so that's like half of my work done for me :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

oops, quote != edit. Oh well.

some loving LIAR posted:

I'd like to wish everyone a merry Day 225 of the Orlanthi calendar!

(Feel free to check my math. There are only 294 days in a Gloranthan year, and it has been 279.9 days since the last vernal equinox on Earth, so if 294/365 = x/279.9 then x=225.454).

From what I've heard, the cannon is that that gloranthan days are the same length as ours. They just have a shorter year.

Personally I prefer keeping the years at earth length and making the days longer. Makes wrapping your head around the timescale easier.

• Locked thread