Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Yechezkel posted:

I don't follow that too closely because it usually happens when I'm asleep, but I want to say between 12pm to 2pm GMT.

Cheers, if it's during the day the exact time isn't too important as I can't really do anything till after work, but it gives me something to look forward to in the evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Downloading DMC. It is 6669 MB. I firmly believe they padded it with empty data to make it exactly that number.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

ImpAtom posted:

Is it any good?

It was free on PS+ a while back. Only played a bit of it, seemed kind of clunky and odd to me but I didn't get far enough into it to fairly judge. Definitely didn't feel like a full price game in any way. There were some fans in the Vita thread though, and for $3 it's certainly a low risk buy.

Edit: If you are downloading your free DmC Devil May Cry today, then there is a free bit of DLC in the store. It's "Bloody Palace Mode", which looks like some kind of survival arena thing, the description says 101 waves of baddies to fight. It's 229 MB, can be downloaded through the in-game menu.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 8, 2014

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
NA store update

Link to all new releases in webstore
Link to PS Blog post with full details

New PlayStation Plus Offers

quote:

Free
PS4 game Don't Starve: Console Edition 332 MB
PS3 game DmC Devil May Cry 6.5 GB

PS+ Discount
PSP game Streetkix: Freestyle $11.79 $10.79

PS+ offers going away next week
Free - PS3 game Galaga Legions DX 134 MB
Discount - Eufloria HD Vita version $9.99 $7.99
Discounts - Atomic Ninjas $2.99 $2.09, no cross-buy: PS3 version | Vita version
Discounts - Foosball 2012 $2.99 $2.09, no cross-buy: PS3 version | Vita version
Discounts - a bunch of Grip Digital minis $0.99 each $0.74 each: 5-in-1 Arcade Hits, Blimp: The Flying Adventure, The Impossible Game, MiniSquadron, One Epic Game

New Games, Bundle, and Demos

quote:

PS4 Game
Don't Starve: Console Edition $14.99 / ✚Free

PS3 Games
Tiny Brains $19.99 / free if you own PS4 version, 1.2 GB (cross-buy PS3|PS4)
Twisted Lands: Shadow Town $11.99 476 MB

Vita Game
Furmins Full Game + Bonus World $6.49 37 MB

PSP Game
Streetkix: Freestyle $11.79 / ✚$10.79 119 MB (playable on Vita)

PS3 Demos
Tiny Brains 1.2 GB
Twisted Lands: Shadow Town 476 MB

Price Changes and Sales

quote:

Price Changes
PS3 Games:
Armored Core: Verdict Day $49.99 $29.99
Dirt Showdown $49.99 $24.99
F1 2012 $59.99 $29.99
Lego The Lord of the Rings $39.99 $19.99
Need for Speed: Most Wanted $29.99 $19.99
Saints Row IV $59.99 $39.99
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 $59.99 $39.99
The Walking Dead: Season 2: Season Pass $14.99 $19.99 (not in price change section)

Vita Games:
Dokuro $13.99 $2.99
F1 2011 $39.99 $14.99
Lego The Lord of the Rings $29.99 $19.99

PS3 Add-On:
Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss $14.99 $9.99

Sales both new and on-going
PS3 Games:
Atomic Ninjas $2.99 ✚$2.09 (no cross-buy anymore)
Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut $24.99
Foosball 2012 $2.99 ✚$2.09 (no cross-buy anymore)
Time and Eternity $19.99

Vita Games:
Atomic Ninjas $2.99 ✚$2.09 (no cross-buy anymore)
Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable $14.99
Eufloria HD $9.99 ✚$7.99
Foosball 2012 $2.99 ✚$2.09 (no cross-buy anymore)

PSP Games:
DJMax Portable 3 $19.99
Strikers 1945 Plus $2.99

minis:
5-in-1 Arcade Hits $0.99 ✚$0.74
Blimp: The Flying Adventures $0.99 ✚$0.74
The Impossible Game $0.99 ✚$0.74
MiniSquadron $0.99 ✚$0.74
One Epic Game $0.99 ✚$0.74

PS3 Add-Ons:
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception:
- Ancient Parts Pack $0.99
- Animal Parts Bundle $0.99
- Cover Your Feet Pack $0.49
- Cover Your Hands Pack $0.49
- Events Shirts Pack $0.49
- Naughty Taunts Pack $0.99
- Oddball Parts Bundle $0.99

Free Stuff:
Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness: Rasperyl 1.2 MB
Payday 2: Sweet Tooth Mask! 6.6 MB
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014: Stadium Pack
WWE 2K14: Virgil 3.5 MB
As of now, the New Year Fireworks costumes for the LittleBigPlanet games are not free. I think we missed them. :sweatdrop:

Notes:

For now on, I'm assuming that the PS2 Classics Raiden III will forever be $5.99, Fatal Frame $3.99, Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly $3.99, PS3 games inFamous: Festival of Blood for $4.99, and Siren: Blood Curse Episodes 1-12 for $19.99.
I'll give Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut another month before I stop listing it if it stays at $24.99

Hopefully this is a typo, but Don't Starve claims it needs a minimum of 500 MB for its save file. :stare: Anyone with this game want to confirm/deny this?

Next week, the PS3 game Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD will come out for $19.99. This is the last week to pre-order it and get an Assassin Voodoo Pack (Pirate Sword, Voodoo Dagger, Gun Powder Pouch, Poison Dart Pouch) and a theme. There is no discount if you own the Vita download version.

One of the What's New ads on PS3 says that this is the "last chance" to get Doki-Doki Universe Limited Edition. It's a bundle of the game and all or most of the add-ons for $24.99.

A video for the newly revealed PS4 game Alien: Isolation was put up in the store.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Yechezkel posted:

Hopefully this is a typo, but Don't Starve claims it needs a minimum of 500 MB for its save file. :stare: Anyone with this game want to confirm/deny this?

My save is at 27 MB atm. Still seems a tad big.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
Dark Souls DLC dropped to $9.99 just in time for this ten buck cred I received for the PayPal promotion. This will be the third platform I have played the game on haha.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
PlayStation Mobile update. I've only played the free stuff.

The latest 2 PS Mobile games to be made free for 1 week are Bike Rider DX at 86 MB and Rock Boshers DX at 65 MB.

In Bike Rider DX, you move a bike rider to the end of the stage, collecting 3 coins and avoiding pits and walls along the way. It's a simple game.
Rock Boshers DX is a Gauntlet clone, but in the style of a Commodore 64 game. The playing screen is a bit small. So far, it's kind of dull. I'll see if it gets any better.

New stuff:
Sola Note $0.99 4 MB (description says it's SolarNote :shrug:)
A note-taking app.

Sola Weather $0.49 7 MB
An app to check the weather all over the world.

Fleet connection Free to download, $2.99 to unlock full version, 24 MB
This looks like a third version of a turn-based space shooter, now with anime characters.

Tiki Rush: Escape from Lava Island $2.79 91 MB
An endless runner based in the jungle, running away from a lava wave.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is that a permanent price drop on the dark souls dlc?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yes it is.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I don't know if this is the Asian region only, buy Sony have had some game multipacks on sale here. Twin-packs of stuff like Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs, LBP2 and Uncharted 3 etc.

A new thing I saw today was this:

A five-pack of all the last-gen Assassin's Creed games. The one thing of note is that there's some small print on the back saying only Heritage Collection DLC will work with this, other Assassin's Creed DLC won't. Which is... I dunno, odd. Still, for the price of one regular new game it's a good way to catch up on the series.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Parkingtigers posted:

I don't know if this is the Asian region only, buy Sony have had some game multipacks on sale here. Twin-packs of stuff like Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs, LBP2 and Uncharted 3 etc.

A new thing I saw today was this:

A five-pack of all the last-gen Assassin's Creed games. The one thing of note is that there's some small print on the back saying only Heritage Collection DLC will work with this, other Assassin's Creed DLC won't. Which is... I dunno, odd. Still, for the price of one regular new game it's a good way to catch up on the series.

Is it stupid and has some of the games as download codes? I remember they did this with the Ezio Trilogy collection they did in NA.

User Friendly
Jul 19, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Is it stupid and has some of the games as download codes? I remember they did this with the Ezio Trilogy collection they did in NA.

Apparently all except AC3 :/

edit: Correction it seems to be one disc from which you can directly run AC3 or install any of the other games to your HDD

User Friendly fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 8, 2014

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

User Friendly posted:

Apparently all except AC3 :/

edit: Correction it seems to be one disc from which you can directly run AC3 or install any of the other games to your HDD

That's not as bad then. I sold off most of my Xbox games (including the AC games), migrating everything over to PS3. I might pick this up one day (The Heritage edition exists in Europe too) once it's cheap, just so I can get it on the PS3 too.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Ineffiable posted:

That's not as bad then. I sold off most of my Xbox games (including the AC games), migrating everything over to PS3. I might pick this up one day (The Heritage edition exists in Europe too) once it's cheap, just so I can get it on the PS3 too.

Yup, 4 games that install to the HDD, still requires the disc in the tray. Those four are referred to on the disc as the legacy collection. Yes, a legacy collection as part of the overall heritage collection. It's collection-ception here.

rear end Creed 1 never got a trophy patch incidentally. Still surprises me that a bunch of older games don't have such things. The first two games are compatible with the DS4, but Brotherhood isn't. It is good to have the collection consolidated on PS3 though, because I do begrudge even finishing the games on Xbox and giving Microsoft my gaming hours. gently caress those guys.

This doesn't count as breaking my pledge to not buy any games this year, as I don't count migrating my backlog. It's not about the money, just about playing what I have.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
So one of the main reasons I bought a Vita was to play PSOne classics. How often do new classics get added to the PSN? I'm guessing "Not Very Often" :(

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pegnose Pete posted:

So one of the main reasons I bought a Vita was to play PSOne classics. How often do new classics get added to the PSN? I'm guessing "Not Very Often" :(

They still happen but very very slowly, like a few a year kind of thing. I think the last one was Persona 2 or something like that (there was Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions released more recently on the store but it was available earlier to Legacy Collection owners).

SoA has some serious catching up to do to match SoJ's PSN library of nearly 700 PS1 games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

It's pretty slow these days unfortunately. Most of the big-name titles are already on the PSN in some form or another although there are some really noticably absent ones. (Give us loving Valkyrie Profile, Square-Enix. I own two copies but I will buy it again.)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Still hoping for Suikoden 2 to come out on the PSN.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

Still hoping for Suikoden 2 to come out on the PSN.

Me too, although I think there was a problem because the original release hosed up and forgot to translate some of the extra content and Sony has a strict policy about that sort of thing with digital releases. :negative:

It's the only PS1 game that costs more than $40 off eBay, right?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I want Star Ocean 2 the most.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

univbee posted:

It's the only PS1 game that costs more than $40 off eBay, right?

Hahah, no.

Doesn't that Tron Bonne game cost something like $200?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not even the only PS1 Suikoden game that regularly costs over $40, unless 1 being on PSN brought it down.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Phantasium posted:

Hahah, no.

Yeah, between that and MML2 averaging more than $100 there's definitely some expensive PS1 games. Not that this would be a problem if they'd just do some digital releases :argh:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phantasium posted:

Hahah, no.

Didn't know about this game, admittedly.

Aphrodite posted:

It's not even the only PS1 Suikoden game that regularly costs over $40, unless 1 being on PSN brought it down.

BIN for less than $33: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Suikoden-COMPLETE-PS1-Playstation-1-/151201041480?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item233448cc48&_uhb=1

I filled in a few gaps in my collection earlier and there was a bunch of stuff in the $40 range (especially if you didn't care about missing case/manuals) but Suikoden 2 remains absent from my collection due to its obscene price. :argh:

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I own a hard copy of Suikoden 1, terrible NA box art and all. :D

But yeah I have plenty of classics to keep me busy for a long, long while, but I still would kill for Suikoden 2 (which I never got to play as a kid), Thousand Arms, Star Ocean 2, the Lunar games (also never played), Fear Effect, and others I can't remember at the moment.
Edit: Skullmonkeys, Heart of Darkness...

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 8, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I really hope the streaming games service doesn't lead to not bothering to add more PS1 Classics.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

elf help book posted:

I really hope the streaming games service doesn't lead to not bothering to add more PS1 Classics.

Yeah that would suck. With the way bandwidth restrictions are going (in Canada at least) streaming games is really not a viable option, especially when people in the same house use Netflix.

E:

Is there a list of PSP/PSone Classics that require a PS3 transfer in order to get them working on Vita? I won't have access to a PS3 anymore after a few months so it would be handy to pick up some of that stuff ahead of time.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 8, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

elf help book posted:

I think the main hurdle is just getting the license to distribute the game digitally, rather than the emulation. Hopefully all of the current PSOne classics will be available to stream, and the American and European divisions of Sony will have an incentive to acquire the license to more games to pad out the release schedule.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Pegnose Pete posted:

Yeah that would suck. With the way bandwidth restrictions are going (in Canada at least) streaming games is really not a viable option, especially when people in the same house use Netflix.

E:

Is there a list of PSP/PSone Classics that require a PS3 transfer in order to get them working on Vita? I won't have access to a PS3 anymore after a few months so it would be handy to pick up some of that stuff ahead of time.

I found this list but I can't speak to its accuracy (though it appears to still be receiving updates) http://www.ign.com/wikis/ps-vita/PSOne_Classics_List

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Awesome! posted:

I found this list but I can't speak to its accuracy (though it appears to still be receiving updates) http://www.ign.com/wikis/ps-vita/PSOne_Classics_List

That list is definitely out of date but I think mostly in a good way (as in most of that list is directly on the Vita now). Do a search from your Vita for every game you might buy from that list. Suikoden is the main one you want to make sure you transfer. Legend of Dragoon as well, I think, I think everything else worthwhile is directly on Vita or straight-incompatible but maybe your tastes will differ.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was like 8 when the PS1 came out and the only games I remember playing are Metal Gear Solid Parappa Tony hawk and NBA Live; are there any must play games I should try out?

I actually wish the original Tony Hawks were available :( Were the PSP ones any good?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Abu Dave posted:

I was like 8 when the PS1 came out and the only games I remember playing are Metal Gear Solid Parappa Tony hawk and NBA Live; are there any must play games I should try out?

Grab FFVII, hope that you can get past the crude character models.

Also these:

- Castlevania: Symphony of The Night
- Chrono Cross
- Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
- Parasite Eve
- Tomba
- Vagrant Story
- Xenogears

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Klonoa 2 was a rad game, not srue why I never tried the original, thanks for listing. Have any of the Hot Shots aged well?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Abu Dave posted:

I actually wish the original Tony Hawks were available :( Were the PSP ones any good?

Your mileage may vary with the classic JRPGs. Those of us who grew up in that era are more tolerant of loading screens, horrendous amounts of random battles, and occasionally obtuse menu and development systems. Also poor translation is a lot of cases.

Personally I still think a lot of them stand up really well despite my rose-tinted glasses.

Maybe Final Fantasy IX would be a good entry point since it is arguably the most polished of the PS1 Final Fantasies. Great translation, a story that won't make you cringe 100% of the time, and a streamlined enough battle system that it doesn't bog down the rest of the game too much.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Crash Bandicoot games are fantastic. The first one is a bit wonky and takes alot of getting used to but 2 and 3 are among the best platformers of the era. They're pretty much just pure fun.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Abu Dave posted:

Klonoa 2 was a rad game, not srue why I never tried the original, thanks for listing. Have any of the Hot Shots aged well?

In my opinion all the Hot Shots play pretty much the same (well) so why not go for a PSP version that suits the screen a bit better.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never liked the artstyle when they made it more anime-ish, if that makes sense.

Has Dino crisis 1 or 2 aged well at all?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Abu Dave posted:

I never liked the artstyle when they made it more anime-ish, if that makes sense.

Has Dino crisis 1 or 2 aged well at all?

I don't think Dino Crisis was particularly well regarded even in its time... it was just sort of something RE fans played while they waited for more RE.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Maybe Final Fantasy IX would be a good entry point since it is arguably the most polished of the PS1 Final Fantasies. Great translation, a story that won't make you cringe 100% of the time, and a streamlined enough battle system that it doesn't bog down the rest of the game too much.

As someone who was an adolescent during the PSX era and has recently been trying to play FFIX again, I'd have to disagree with this recommendation. The random battles in FFIX are possibly the worst of the PSX generation and there are annoying difficulty spikes (i.e. the battle with Beatrix if you don't know to grab Quina early) while FFVII is pretty much a walk in the park.

On the other hand I certainly agree with the classic RPGs not being for everyone bit... I feel like Chrono Cross is probably the best of the bunch.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I was also a kid during the ps1 era. The games I remember playing most are jet moto, crash, saga frontier, the final fantasies, oddworlds, tactics ogre, kartia, jade cocoon, dragonseeds, twisted metal, and motor toon grand prix. Some of these were probably actually poo poo and I was a kid so they were cool but there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

EDIT I misread, disregard.

• Locked thread