Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ReindeerF posted:

They're going to need considerably longer knives this time around.

And more time for the stabbing. Hell, it may take all night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Doesn't speak a lot to the "scandals", but this is an interesting look at the dynamics of Christie's administration and how it ran. (The title is bizarrely misleading, ignore that)
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/29/nyregion/for-christie-politics-team-kept-a-focus-on-two-bids.html

edit: they literally changed the title as I posted this (from "bids" to "races")

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I was just coming to see if that was posted. Man, they really drive a stake through the already flimsy concept that he was just caught unawares.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I just find it hilarious that even people from this area (NY/NJ) think that there's even a scintilla of truth behind governor Jek Porkins not knowing what was going on.

It's even more farcical that people around here actually believe that the Port Authority would just wake up on a lark and say "Hay lets have a traffic study!"..or do anything instantaneously. It's the loving Port Authority. It'd be like if the TBTA just decided to close down 2 lanes of the Whitestone at 3:15 PM some random Wednesday 'just because.'

These Authorities telescope their traffic pattern intentions for literally MONTHS if not YEARS beforehand depending on the size of the project being undertaken.

Somebody made a phone call to make this happen and that somebody was Chris loving Christie.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I just find it hilarious that even people from this area (NY/NJ) think that there's even a scintilla of truth behind governor Jek Porkins not knowing what was going on.

It's even more farcical that people around here actually believe that the Port Authority would just wake up on a lark and say "Hay lets have a traffic study!"..or do anything instantaneously. It's the loving Port Authority. It'd be like if the TBTA just decided to close down 2 lanes of the Whitestone at 3:15 PM some random Wednesday 'just because.'

These Authorities telescope their traffic pattern intentions for literally MONTHS if not YEARS beforehand depending on the size of the project being undertaken.

Somebody made a phone call to make this happen and that somebody was Chris loving Christie.

Basically this is what everyone suspects to be the case but doesn't want to step up in public and take the first real stab at accusing without hard evidence. The fact that people in the NJGOP felt the commuter-heavy city of Fort Lee somehow didn't deserve those four ramp lanes really just adds weight to it.

The NJ Supreme Court story really seems plausible given the dates and the "oh you want to roadblock my appointees? NOW IT IS YOU WITH THE TRAFFIC JAM AH-AH-AH" which is just the kind of shitbag thing a douchecannon like Christie would do for revenge.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

The Entire Universe posted:

The NJ Supreme Court story really seems plausible given the dates and the "oh you want to roadblock my appointees? NOW IT IS YOU WITH THE TRAFFIC JAM AH-AH-AH" which is just the kind of shitbag thing a douchecannon like Christie would do for revenge.

It's like some sort of third rate supervillian.

"You dare cross me? Prepare to be inconvenienced!"

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Christie Knew About Lane Closings, Ex-Port Authority Official Says

The Governor could not be reached for comment, though a male voice was heard in the background screaming "Cocksucking motherfuckers!" when reporters contacted his office.

(Wildstein flipped on him.)

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The Warszawa posted:

The Governor could not be reached for comment, though a male voice was heard in the background screaming "Cocksucking motherfuckers!" when reporters contacted his office.

Ah, and was just coming to post this. Good, I'm enjoying seeing his Hubris destroy him. It's like reading those Greek tragedies in high school, with some Jersey sprinkles on top

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Looking forward to this coming out on the news tonight and this weekend. I wonder how long Christie will try and hang on if this is true.

Edit: Wildstein's lawyer says he has direct evidence linking Christie wow, can't believe Christie bothered to try covering this up.

ascii genitals fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 31, 2014

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

It's pretty much over for him now, isn't it?

How long until they start up the impeachment proceedings? Days? Hours?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
So what was Christie thinking when he gave that press conference where he slammed his own aids / appointees and denied all knowledge? Was his calculation really just "Wildstein, Kelly and co are just going to quietly let me throw them under the bus"? Was he just flailing wildly in a desperate bid to preserve his presidential ambitions or was there some reason at the time to think that the people he was sacrificing would stay quiet on his involvement?

Then again I really cannot fathom why he would have tried to pull off a scheme like this in the first place. This is seriously right up there with Nixon bugging the Watergate hotel to help him win an election that he was almost certainly going to win anyway. Its a remarkable example of somebody's ridiculously machiavellian personality leading them to commit a massive self inflicted wound.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rygar201 posted:

It's like reading those Greek tragedies in high school, with some Jersey sprinkles on top

I think they call them jimmies there.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I check Drudge once or twice daily. I just checked it and saw Christie's mug with "HE KNEW" underneath.

I haven't cracked a smile that wide in a LOOOOOONG time.

Burn baby burn and clear the way for my mythical perfect GOP candidate that of course will never materialize.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Helsing posted:

So what was Christie thinking when he gave that press conference where he slammed his own aids / appointees and denied all knowledge? Was his calculation really just "Wildstein, Kelly and co are just going to quietly let me throw them under the bus"? Was he just flailing wildly in a desperate bid to preserve his presidential ambitions or was there some reason at the time to think that the people he was sacrificing would stay quiet on his involvement?

Then again I really cannot fathom why he would have tried to pull off a scheme like this in the first place. This is seriously right up there with Nixon bugging the Watergate hotel to help him win an election that he was almost certainly going to win anyway. Its a remarkable example of somebody's ridiculously machiavellian personality leading them to commit a massive self inflicted wound.

Well, I figured that his aides must have gotten some kind of secret golden handshake. You know, "Do this for me, make sure I'm untouched, and I will pay you back tenfold from the White House." Maybe they didn't think his chances were great, or perhaps the offer he made wasn't good enough.

I would find it hard to believe he was so dumb as to make no offer at all.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Chris Christie posted:

I check Drudge once or twice daily. I just checked it and saw Christie's mug with "HE KNEW" underneath.

Burn baby burn and clear the way for my mythical perfect GOP candidate that of course will never materialize.

Zombie Teddy Roosevelt 2016.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

What choice did he have? If he hadn't tossed his cronies overboard he would have sunk right then and there. His only hope was to heap the blame on some underlings, fire them, and hope they could be persuaded to keep their mouths shut. It was a slim hope, and it doesn't seem to have worked.

Of course, the claim is coming from this guy's defense attorney so perhaps there's nothing to really back it up. But if he's got something that shows Christie knew in real-time, then it's the final nail in his piano crate.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
This is the problem when people are loyal to you out of fear instead of love. They'll roll over like nobody's business the minute things get lovely.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Insect Court posted:

What choice did he have?

Tell the truth???

Hell, he could have even not told the truth, and just been vague and took responsibility. "I'm the governor this is my fault the buck stops here." No throwing people under the bus, no "its the underlings fault."

Hahahahaha who am I kidding.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I for one am looking forward to watching Rand Paul and Scott Walker tearing into each other like two starved dogs fighting over a bone.

TheBalor posted:

Well, I figured that his aides must have gotten some kind of secret golden handshake. You know, "Do this for me, make sure I'm untouched, and I will pay you back tenfold from the White House." Maybe they didn't think his chances were great, or perhaps the offer he made wasn't good enough.

I would find it hard to believe he was so dumb as to make no offer at all.

Yeah this is what I initially assumed as well, because it really seemed like if he didn't have some reason to believe that his aids were gonna take the wrap for him then the entire house of cards he was erecting was inevitably gonna tumble down. Then again given how ridiculous this entire scandal his maybe he really was just scrambling blindly to save himself. I mean the entire scheme seems to have been founded on some incredibly ill conceived political instincts on Christie's part so who knows.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Helsing posted:

Hubris, same reason politicians often get nailed this way. He's used to being able to change reality and ran into a brick wall when it didn't move.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Chris Christie posted:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So what's the over/under on actual charges/impeachment being brought up against Christie now if there is (while probably not bullet-proof) evidence of him being knowledgeable and complacent (if not a willing participant) in some fairly large scale abuses of office?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I really thought Wildstein had some weird thing he was trying to pull while protecting Christie with the whole "Well maybe if you gave me immunity..." thing but apparently not.

Goodnight you sick gently caress, I know you don't actually care about anything else so here's hoping Bruce Springsteen shits on you again and makes you cry.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

It also occurs to me that this entire scheme seems particularly unhinged in light of the fact that the Democrats control the state legislature. I know that Christie had some fairly strong alliances with part of the Democratic party of NJ but it still seems incredibly dangerous to be pulling these kinds of stunts when the opposition has full power to launch investigations or subpoena witnesses.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Helsing posted:

It also occurs to me that this entire scheme seems particularly unhinged in light of the fact that the Democrats control the state legislature. I know that Christie had some fairly strong alliances with part of the Democratic party of NJ but it still seems incredibly dangerous to be pulling these kinds of stunts when the opposition has full power to launch investigations or subpoena witnesses.

Christie was better friends with the Democrats than with the Republicans.

It's a weird situation over here.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Insect Court posted:

What choice did he have?

Not doing something so petty and lovely in the first place comes to mind.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Helsing posted:

So what was Christie thinking when he gave that press conference where he slammed his own aids / appointees and denied all knowledge?

"It worked for Reagan"

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

It seems logical that he would think he could get away with it. He had a solid national reputation and the beltway adored him. He'd been doing poo poo like this prior to the bridge closure and gotten away with it. He just got too comfortable with the idea of being untouchable.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Helsing posted:

I for one am looking forward to watching Rand Paul and Scott Walker tearing into each other like two starved dogs fighting over a bone.

I'm looking forward to Steve Schirripa's Golden Globe-winning performance in the inevitable HBO biopic.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Someone should prank call Scott Walker and pretend to be Reince Priebus like immeidately.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

hobbesmaster posted:

"It worked for Reagan"

Yeah well Reagan managed to come off as folksy, personable, and sincerein the eyes of gullible schmuckswhen he did his not-really mea culpas, which counts for a lot. Governor Loudmouth, not so much.

In other words, pretty much what evilweasel said

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Someone should prank call Scott Walker and pretend to be Reince Priebus like immeidately.

I'm too sober at the moment.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Assuming he's ousted from office, who's likely to replace him?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

“evidence exists as well tying Mr. Christie to having knowledge of the lane closures, during the period when the lanes were closed, contrary to what the governor stated publicly in a two-hour press conference” three weeks ago.

Interesting phrase, would indicate that there's no evidence he ordered it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Abel Wingnut posted:

Assuming he's ousted from office, who's likely to replace him?

Lt. Governor is first up, then Senate President, followed by Legislature Speaker.

(If the Lt. Governor goes, then we get a McGreevey situation again, where the Senate President is head a legislative chamber and chief executive.)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 31, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Xandu posted:

Interesting phrase, would indicate that there's no evidence he ordered it.

But would that make any substantive difference after that press conference? I guess for his legal battles from here on out.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

But would that make any substantive difference after that press conference? I guess for his legal battles from here on out.

Nope. Christie brought it so hard that anything contradicting any part of his salvo will be treated just as if it contradicted the entire thing. And maybe it should be, if he was gonna get so indignant and start crushing his aides, he probably deserves to take some extra blame even if it is invalid.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

ayn rand hand job posted:

Lt. Governor is first up, then Senate President, followed by Legislature Speaker.

(If the Lt. Governor goes, then we get a McGreevey situation again, where the Senate President is head a legislative chamber and chief executive.)

Gods, why does your state allow this?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Did we ever figure out who said "Is it wrong that I'm smiling"? If it wasn't somebody else, it could fit Christie as far as knowing about it while it was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

As somebody who lives in a Parliamentary democracy I find it bizarre that the head of the legislature isn't also the de facto executive.

• Locked thread