Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

NinjaSteve posted:

This is one of the most bizarre crests I've seen. Why is there a lovely clipart BMW on it?

They were originally the football team for employees of a body shop (parrillas = grilles)

They got into the second division by buying the spot from now defunct Palestino FC

And they lost their first second division final against the also defunct Honduras Salzburg

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Drogadon posted:

They were originally the football team for employees of a body shop (parrillas = grilles)

They got into the second division by buying the spot from now defunct Palestino FC

And they lost their first second division final against the also defunct Honduras Salzburg

Oh. My. God.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Play this video in another tab while you look at the following crests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqXy_CAOROo

All Boys
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Newell's Old Boys
Rosario, Argentina

Sport Boys Warnes
Warnes, Bolivia

Sport Boys
Callao, Peru

BSC Old Boys
Basel, Switzerland

BSC Young Boys
Bern, Switzerland

Plus bonus FC Santa Claus from Finland because why not?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I figured since I'm never going to do a Polish Ekstraklasa thread (effort + really now, zero interest), the least I can do is share the crests. Posting them in the order they're in the table before this weekend's games:

1. Legia Warsaw

2. Gornik Zabrze

3. Wisla Krakow

4. Lech Poznan

5. Ruch Chorzow

6. Pogon Szczecin

7. Cracovia Krakow

8. Jagiellonia Bialystok

9. Zawisza Bydgoszcz

10. Lechia Gdansk

11. Piast Gliwice

12. Korona Kielce

13. Slask Wroclaw

14. Podbeskidzie Bielsko-Biala

15. Zaglebie Lubin

16. Widzew Lodz

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Vagabundo posted:

The Corinthians crest made me look at a few Brazilian club crests and there were a few good ones.

Bahia

I'm just sad the flag is not repeated ad infinitum.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Play this video in another tab while you look at the following crests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqXy_CAOROo

Music really adds to this, great post

mackintosh posted:

I figured since I'm never going to do a Polish Ekstraklasa thread (effort + really now, zero interest), the least I can do is share the crests. Posting them in the order they're in the table before this weekend's games:

6. Pogon Szczecin

8. Jagiellonia Bialystok

12. Korona Kielce

13. Slask Wroclaw

I really like these ones

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I actually think Legia have the best crest in the Extralaksa

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Here are some Russian logos:
(Some are hard to find in higher resolutions, sorry)

Torpedo Moscow:

Spartak Moscow:

(C makes an S sound in Cyrillic)

FC Rostov

FC Alania Vladikavkaz

FC Rotor Volgograd

Rubin Kazan

Saturn Ramenskoye

FC Moscow (now dissolved due to lack of money)

Shinnik Yaroslavl

Anzhi Makhachkala

Tom Tomsk (yes, there is a club called Tom Tomsk)

Zhemchuzhina Sochi (Olympics city)

FC Elista (only existed for one year in 2005-06)

FC Luch-Energia Vladivostok

FC Fakel Voronezh

Sibir Novosibirsk

FC Krasnodar

FC Tyumen

FC Okean Nakhodka

FC Khimki

FC Sokol Saratov

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

vyelkin posted:

FC Sokol Saratov

Big fans of the old us postal service?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

NinjaSteve posted:

I actually think Legia have the best crest in the Extralaksa

drat right. I'm a bit biased though.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

mackintosh posted:

I'll steal this idea as there will never be a Finnish football thread (as nobody follows Finnish football), but I'll share the crests of the Finnish Veikkausliiga teams for the upcoming season anyway. It will be an exciting season as nobody knows by how many points HJK will win the league this time. Might be by 30 points, or perhaps just 5, but HJK will be the champions. :sigh:

For me, the main point of interest will be my home city's plastic but sexy upstart merger club SJK, which gained promotion to Veikkausliiga for the first time during it's brief history, arousing lots of envy and hatred on the way. We might end up getting relegated back to Ykkönen, but I'm confident our sugar daddies will do their best to keep us in. :homebrew:

In the order the clubs finished last year + the promoted team:

1. HJK (Helsingin Jalkapalloklubi)

2. FC Honka

3. VPS (Vaasan Palloseura)

4. IFK Mariehamn (Idrottsföreningen Kamraterna Mariehamn)

5. FC Lahti

6. MYPA (Myllykosken Pallo -47)

7. KuPS (Kuopion Palloseura)

8. TPS (Turun Palloseura)

9. FC Inter (Football Club International Turku)

10. FF Jaro (Fotbollsföreningen Jaro)

11. RoPS (Rovaniemen Palloseura)

12. SJK (Seinäjoen Jalkapallokerho)

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I like the RoPS logo, and that FC Honka is a stupid name and says ES Poo under the crest.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
FC Lahti is pretty great, more teams should have mermaids and lions on their crests.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

NinjaSteve posted:

I like the RoPS logo, and that FC Honka is a stupid name and says ES Poo under the crest.

Haha I bet people living in the city of Espoo are sick of English speakers making poo jokes about them. Honka means pine (the type of tree) and despite doing well last season people are eagerly awaiting their eventual implosion thanks to corruption and monetary problems. Earlier this month their (ex-)manager sued the team for unpaid salaries, after which they immediately fired him for being "corrupted". :downs:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Trips posted:

My personal favorite comes from the bowels of the English Non-League pyramid, Cheddar FC.

I know this is the first post but I have to point out this cheese has holes in, while Cheddar, particularly the cave aged stuff they sell in the gorge, does not!

Unbelievable that they hosed up their crest in this manner.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Looks a bit like a sponge too

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess it is my duty to post some cool ones from Dutch professional football:

ADO Den Haag (The Hague)

Ajax Amsterdam

Feyenoord Rotterdam

SC Heerenveen

NAC Breda

FC Twente

Vitesse

Almere City FC

SC Cambuur

FC Den Bosch

FC Dordrecht

Fortuna Sittard

Go Ahead Eagles

MVV Maastricht

FC Oss

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
That's the wrong Ajax badge yo

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

oliwan posted:

Ajax Amsterdam

I've always liked the fact that the guy here is made up of 11 lines, symbolising the players.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mickolution posted:

I've always liked the fact that the guy here is made up of 11 lines, symbolising the players.

I never knew that. Mind blown!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It would be cool if people actually put interesting tidbits about the badges in their posts instead of just image dumping a bunch of poo poo.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

sebzilla posted:

Yeah that's really cool.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

sebzilla posted:

I just remember the tour guide saying it on a tour of the Amsterdam ArenA years ago. For some reason it stuck with me.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Mickolution posted:

I just remember the tour guide saying it on a tour of the Amsterdam ArenA years ago. For some reason it stuck with me.

Completely off topic but how was the tour, is it worth going to?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

euroboy posted:

If you like horrible clubs and horrible football grounds, yes by all means do the official Amsterdam ArenA tour.

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

oliwan posted:

If you like horrible clubs and horrible football grounds, yes by all means do the official Amsterdam ArenA tour.

well I'm going to be in Amsterdam for a few days and Ajax isnt playing so idk what else to do thats football related

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

NinjaSteve posted:

Come on, you can't post those and not post literally the only good A-League crest.

Also I can't believe how hilariously boring the NZ Knights crest is.

Gloriously stolen from a 3rd division football team:

who happen to also wear some pretty familiar kits:

"Community made" indeed.

Speaking of rip offs:
Non-League Forrest Green

FC Barcelona

Bohemians FC (Prague)

quote:

Bohemians' mascot is a kangaroo, the legacy of a 1927 tour of Australia. Following the tour, the club was awarded two live kangaroos, which they donated to the Prague Zoo.

Came across this today as they made the group stage of the Asian Champions League Qatari team: Lekhwiya Sports Club:

Pretty bad arse. Madjid Bougherra and Vladimir Weiss play for them

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

euroboy posted:

well I'm going to be in Amsterdam for a few days and Ajax isnt playing so idk what else to do thats football related

You could always take the train to Rotterdam and visit Holland's best and most famous football ground, the Feyenoord stadium aka 'De Kuip'! Or even better, attend a match.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Kuip

http://stadiumdb.com/stadiums/ned/de_kuip

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

euroboy posted:

It was a long time ago (2004, I think), so I don't remember it too well. Was enjoyable enough though and the museum had some cool stuff in it.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

euroboy posted:

There's enough to do in Amsterdam that this isn't really an issue. I've been a few times and only once have I walked around the stadium properly.

Go to the Van Gogh museum :allears:

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.
Not sure if this is the right thread.

So, I'm in Paris for a few months and being American, I can't get a job or anything. I mostly just do my classes in America via the school's online stuff. ANYWAY, I got kind of bored being in the apartment all day and started calling soccer clubs in Africa to see if I could redo their logos for free... just because. Most clubs don't have a phone line that's operational, though I did get through to a club in Zimbabwe so I'll work on that one. But just for the hell of it I started looking at non-league teams in England and came across A.F.C. Fylde. I called and explained that I just wanted to try and redo their logo for no charge. The first image on the top left is the original, the rest are things I did. Would love to get some input from you fine folks.

I think I like the third one the most.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
Awesome idea.

With regards to the last one which I think is your favourite as it's the third image:

• Remove the grey lines which I think you've put in to show depth. You don't want artificial depth on logos really, especially not ones that are going to be printed or sewn onto physical things. The issue with faux depth, gradients etc is also that it tends to look dated really quickly.

• I'd want a bit more of a gap between the tops/bottoms of the letters and the edges of the ribbon so it's a bit cleare

• I'd remove whatever those extra lines are behind the rose at the top too coming out of the ribbon, again for clarity

• Maybe remove the drop shadow (even thought it subtle) from the text

• The last thing is that I'd be tempted to smooth out the bottom of the boat icon just because it'll look gash depending on the size of the logo and it doesn't really fit with the other three.

Very cool though and I hope some of the African clubs get back to you.

Also while you're in Paris go here: Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature it's brilliant.

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.

Eboracum posted:

• I'd remove whatever those extra lines are behind the rose at the top too coming out of the ribbon, again for clarity

Any idea what, if anything, I could put in the space around the rose? It looks strange up there without them.

Man, I couldn't have asked for a better response. I really appreciate it!

I'll definitely check that place in Paris out soon!

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

red_blip posted:

Any idea what, if anything, I could put in the space around the rose? It looks strange up there without them.

Man, I couldn't have asked for a better response. I really appreciate it!

I'll definitely check that place in Paris out soon!

I'm glad you didn't think I was being overly critical / a dick.

Maybe try increasing the height of both ribbons, decreasing the size of the text, then make the rose a tiny bit smaller and have it coming into the ribbon a bit rather than being by itself above the rest of the crest.

That should bring it in a bit and make it look less weird.

e - alternatively try and work something with the date they were formed with 19/18 on one side and then whatever on teh right.

not not luvd fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 21, 2014

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.

Eboracum posted:

e - alternatively try and work something with the date they were formed with 19/18 on one side and then whatever on teh right.

2008* haha. I wasn't sure if they were proud of their newer heritage. But uhh, I left it off anyway.

No, I'll take any criticism as I'm not very learned with the art of design. Just... trying.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

That's a really great idea and it's def inspiring me to get off my rear end and do something similar. I'd offer some constructive criticism too but I think luvd covered pretty much all of it. Keen to see any other stuff you come up with for sure, it's a drat sight better posting than a massive image dump

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.

NinjaSteve posted:

That's a really great idea and it's def inspiring me to get off my rear end and do something similar. I'd offer some constructive criticism too but I think luvd covered pretty much all of it. Keen to see any other stuff you come up with for sure, it's a drat sight better posting than a massive image dump

Yeah, I'm going a little off-topic here, but just as a hobby, there are infinite possibilities to redo logos for free or for dirt cheap. But with skype and everything, there really is this global network available to do this kind of thing. It's fun, really.

Also, as a fan from the states (see: Charlotte Eagles, blegh) I feel a lot for clubs who don't have much money and can't shell out for the little things. I can do this little thing, so I'd like to. Support a small club. Make some ardent supporters happy. It's a good deal, really - especially if I can get in touch with some of these African teams. They really, really, need a new logo haha.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

red_blip posted:

Yeah, I'm going a little off-topic here, but just as a hobby, there are infinite possibilities to redo logos for free or for dirt cheap. But with skype and everything, there really is this global network available to do this kind of thing. It's fun, really.

Also, as a fan from the states (see: Charlotte Eagles, blegh) I feel a lot for clubs who don't have much money and can't shell out for the little things. I can do this little thing, so I'd like to. Support a small club. Make some ardent supporters happy. It's a good deal, really - especially if I can get in touch with some of these African teams. They really, really, need a new logo haha.

Have you shown the logo to the club? Are they considering using it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.

Eboracum posted:

Have you shown the logo to the club? Are they considering using it?

Yeah, it's being shown to the President and Chairman today apparently. Hopefully I'll hear something before the day is up.

e: But again, if they don't use it, I won't be really disappointed. I just give it to them. The guy I've been in touch with there liked it - so they can just do with it what they want.

• Locked thread