Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Looking back at Lord Business now is so amazing considering the reveal at the end.

Also, his cape is a tie. And the way he TOWERS over everything. To a kid...yeah. That's dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I loved this. Saw it in a mostly empty theater with some kids and parents who all seemed to be having an amazing time. I have to give them major credit for wrangling such a big, suspenseful, and moving story out of Legos and making so much out of such a goofy concept. All the 2D cutaways had me in stitches. I don't even know if I have anything bad to say about it - it looks fanastic, it's hilarious, and it's pleasantly self-deprecating without being cynical or crass.

SPACESHIP

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Saw it again for a second time. My favorite gag is definitely when Bad Cop returns to tell Lord Business that the only thing left was the bunk couch, and Lord Business begins to describe all the logistical issues with it throughout the scene transition.

Also, when Batman first plays his song WyldStyle sings along with it.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Looking back at Lord Business now is so amazing considering the reveal at the end.

Also, his cape is a tie. And the way he TOWERS over everything. To a kid...yeah. That's dad.

I was pausing that youtube clip posted earlier to read the Big Brother-ish Lord Business banners. In retrospect, they're perfect.

"DON'T STAY UP ALL NIGHT" "DON'T TOUCH MY STUFF" "BECAUSE I SAID SO" "WHAT PART OF NO DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?"

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I am trying to figure out if I want to go see it in 2D or 3D in a non-IMAX theater. What do you guys recommend? Last "3D" movie I saw at a regular screen was Harry Potter, and everything was so blurry I started getting nauseous. Does it depend more on the theater?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Phobic Nest posted:

I was pausing that youtube clip posted earlier to read the Big Brother-ish Lord Business banners. In retrospect, they're perfect.

"DON'T STAY UP ALL NIGHT" "DON'T TOUCH MY STUFF" "BECAUSE I SAID SO" "WHAT PART OF NO DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?"

loving LAYERS.

Now, not to detract from the main theme, because it rules and is now my morning alarm, but I would kill to be at the meeting where they teamed Tegan & Sara with TLI.

"OK, we've got those two, but it needs some punching up."

"I know, get those guys who sing about premature ejaculation! They'll be perfect for this family feature!"

Also, fess up: Who else is using Everything is Awesome! as a ringtone/alarm? I cannot be the only one.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Bioshuffle posted:

I am trying to figure out if I want to go see it in 2D or 3D in a non-IMAX theater. What do you guys recommend? Last "3D" movie I saw at a regular screen was Harry Potter, and everything was so blurry I started getting nauseous. Does it depend more on the theater?

I saw it in 3D because that's what was available at the time and I honestly didn't notice much actual use of the third dimension.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ensign_Ricky posted:

"I know, get those guys who sing about premature ejaculation! They'll be perfect for this family feature!"

I think it was probably more like, "Hey, we know Andy Samberg from that time we made Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and its sequel, let's give him a call and see if he and his buddies wanna record a track for the soundtrack for out new movie!"

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

I can't explain why, but these were the funniest/cutest things I've ever seen and I laughed for a long time at them.

I flippin' loved this movie
For me I think it's just the sheer ridiculousness of it (it just doesn't make sense!), like the Abe Lincoln rocket chair or this:

Febreeze posted:

The horse cops going off the cliff, I expected them to do the warner brothers tumble into the abyss with a small poof, but after like a second of falling they just EXPLODE in a massive fireball
And there's just so many of those random crazy sight gags like/because it's just a regular part of the world, it's amazing :allears:

radlum
May 13, 2013

Ensign_Ricky posted:

loving LAYERS.

Now, not to detract from the main theme, because it rules and is now my morning alarm, but I would kill to be at the meeting where they teamed Tegan & Sara with TLI.

"OK, we've got those two, but it needs some punching up."

Also, fess up: Who else is using Everything is Awesome! as a ringtone/alarm? I cannot be the only one.

"Let's call these cool indie lesbian twin canadian musicians and pair them with the guys that rap about dicks in boxes, sex with moms and threeways for this family film" and yet it was one of the many great decisions made for this film. I'm surprised Fox News hasn't caught up with this and started complaining of Lego's "liberal agenda".

I just saw the movie and it was indeed the best movie of the year so far. Went to the Lego Store to buy some minifigs (got Abe Lincoln and a Panda furry, I wanted Wild West Wyldstyle =/); I want to buy a set, I hope Benny comes with a cracked helmet.

radlum fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 12, 2014

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Andy Samberg is married to Joanna Newsom. :colbert:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

radlum posted:

I'm surprised Fox News hasn't caught up with this and started complaining of Lego's "liberal agenda".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rprB_VNm3L8

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fox is seriously just loving with people at this point, right?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Oh my god when they bring up Potter from it's A Wonderful Life it's just the best thing ever

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

tofes posted:

Oh my god when they bring up Potter from it's A Wonderful Life it's just the best thing ever

Yeah, at that point you realize they don't know how to turn it off.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

:aaaaa:

Jesus Christ, every time I think :foxnews: has run out of ways to loving horrify me, they come up with something even more wretched.

D-did these fucknuggets even watch the whole movie?? I mean...wow
...and then to say that President Business looks like Mitt Romney....Oh god, I have never been so glad to be Canadian in my life.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ensign_Ricky posted:

:aaaaa:

Jesus Christ, every time I think :foxnews: has run out of ways to loving horrify me, they come up with something even more wretched.

D-did these fucknuggets even watch the whole movie?? I mean...wow
...and then to say that President Business looks like Mitt Romney....Oh god, I have never been so glad to be Canadian in my life.
From the date I'm guessing they didn't see it at all and was just going off PR blurbs and trailers.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

japtor posted:

From the date I'm guessing they didn't see it at all and was just going off PR blurbs and trailers.

Yeah, but that one stupid twat's attempted defense of Old Man Potter bloke soneting im by braen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Old Man Potter, the man who literally steals and pockets $8000.00 in cash so that he can have someone jailed because they called him frustrated ten years ago. The man who coined "you're worth more dead than alive." :aaaaa:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 12, 2014

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Old Man Potter, the man who literally steals and pockets $8000.00 in cash so that he can have someone jailed because they called him frustrated ten years ago. The man who coined "you're worth more dead than alive." :aaaaa:

STFU he's a JOB CREATOR!

Eugh. Anyway! My rewatch yielded some new appreciation for certain designs. Emmett's construction mech in particular. I cannot wait for that set to get released.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I loved this movie. I really loving loved this movie. After the movie was over I called my mom to thank her for buying me so many Lego sets when she could barely afford to feed me. The only thing that sort of irked me was when Emmett moved on his own in the real world. They could have just as easily had him struggle to move then had the kid pick him up, making Emmett's struggle the kid's struggle to disobey his dad. The whole story kind of loses its punch when you mix in that unnecessary "real magic" scene.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

radlum posted:

I want to buy a set, I hope Benny comes with a cracked helmet.

Benny's helmet is cracked and his 80's spaceman logo is faded. He isn't out yet, but comes with both sets that come out next month.

He comes with Metalbeard's pirate ship and his own set; "Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!" :D

I'm buying that spaceship. I don't care what the cost is.

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012

Gangringo posted:

I loved this movie. I really loving loved this movie. After the movie was over I called my mom to thank her for buying me so many Lego sets when she could barely afford to feed me. The only thing that sort of irked me was when Emmett moved on his own in the real world. They could have just as easily had him struggle to move then had the kid pick him up, making Emmett's struggle the kid's struggle to disobey his dad. The whole story kind of loses its punch when you mix in that unnecessary "real magic" scene.

I think the "real magic" was absolutely necessary to show that the stakes in the Lego world were real; having the adventure up to that point be "a stinkin' metaphor" would negate Emmet's entire character

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm probably going to wind up buying like four of Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! because man oh man do I have a weakness for classic space.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love that it's not only the biggest spaceship they've ever done (except for a couple of NASA shuttles), it's the biggest Space set period.

Lego designers are Benny.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I have a feeling that when writing Benny, the writer had just been playing Portal 2.

animal math
Oct 2, 2012

Gangringo posted:

The only thing that sort of irked me was when Emmett moved on his own in the real world. They could have just as easily had him struggle to move then had the kid pick him up, making Emmett's struggle the kid's struggle to disobey his dad. The whole story kind of loses its punch when you mix in that unnecessary "real magic" scene.
You could also interpret that scene as also playing out in the kid's imagination. In other words, the kid imagining Emmet actually moving on his own when in reality he just sits there on the desk like a piece of plastic. Everything that happens outside the bounds of reality can be seen as happening inside the kid's head.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phy posted:

I love that it's not only the biggest spaceship they've ever done (except for a couple of NASA shuttles), it's the biggest Space set period.

Lego designers are Benny.

That's not counting the Star Wars Star Destroyers I assume.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Forgot about those.

Ok, it's a really big spaceship as far as Lego goes, and certainly the largest of any non-licensed Space set.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

animal math posted:

You could also interpret that scene as also playing out in the kid's imagination. In other words, the kid imagining Emmet actually moving on his own when in reality he just sits there on the desk like a piece of plastic. Everything that happens outside the bounds of reality can be seen as happening inside the kid's head.

This is how I felt about it. It's not like he gets up and walks by himself, but even that could have been viewed as not happening. What's important is that the kid comes up with a way to get dad out of the area so he can reach Emmett.

Plus, the shot of Emmett spazzing out while Ferrell worked was hilarious

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

animal math posted:

Yeah, a big point, at least in my view, is that while everything is ostensibly happening in the head of an 8 year old kid, everything that is happening is REAL in the head of that 8 year old kid. Just like when we were going on imaginary adventures with Lego sets when we were kids, those adventures were real and important and personal. The reason the Lego Movie works as well as it does is because it taps into not the product of Lego, but the experiences we had playing with them.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 12, 2014

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Got to see it again yesterday, and it was just as good if not better. I loved the opportunity to find more background gags that I'd missed the first time around. (Also, for whoever was worried about being judged, the only other person in the theater we went to was an adult.) All the little things about the Lego world really being the dad's hobby area stand out a lot more on second viewing.

In no particular order--

- There are giant fingerprints on some people/things-- I noticed Emmet's torso and Lord Business's helmet in particular, toward the end.

- In the Where are my Pants? studio, there's a large rack of multicolored pants just off-stage.

- When Bad Cop bursts in just after, he's using a chair to fight the robots.

- The Think Tank can be seen in the live-action background as a wall where the dad displays all the 'special' minifigs (which is also why all the Master Builders seem to be licensed personalities or rare in some way).

All in all, this is pretty much my favorite animated movie of the past few years, and I'm not even that into Legos. If I'd known it was by the people who did Clone High, though, it would've been much higher on my list, because Clone High is amazing.

I was, however, very disappointed to find the Lego western line apparently hasn't been active since the early 2000s, because now how can I reenact the best parts? :colbert:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy crap. Count me in as another "went in not sure what to expect but ended up loving it". I was laughing my rear end off through most of it and it will probably be a day 1 Blu-Ray purchase for me so I can buy it and watch it and laugh at it all over again. Phil Lord and Chris Miller are unstoppable.

There were only like 5 other people besides me in the theater: a girl who was by herself, a guy who was by himself and an elderly group of friends. I didn't hear any of them laugh out loud once throughout the whole movie which was kind of weird, and I felt a bit awkward being the only one laughing, but I didn't care too much about it.

I also got a free movie pass because the projector in our theater malfunctioned like 10 minutes in and they had to restart it and it took a while to get going again. I may just use that pass to see this again! It was that good.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
I loved the quick nod to 21 Jump Street in the beginning. Emmett has a "TEEN COPS!" movie poster on the wall of his apartment. There are probably tons of tiny throwaway jokes in the background of every frame of this movie.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Personally I'm just waiting for the video release so I can see what the hell the other laws of the sea were.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Parasol Prophet posted:

I was, however, very disappointed to find the Lego western line apparently hasn't been active since the early 2000s, because now how can I reenact the best parts? :colbert:

Despite being based on the apotheosis of everything wrong with modern cinema, the Lone Ranger sets look pretty amazing.

Tripwyre posted:

I loved the quick nod to 21 Jump Street in the beginning. Emmett has a "TEEN COPS!" movie poster on the wall of his apartment. There are probably tons of tiny throwaway jokes in the background of every frame of this movie.

One of my favorite background gags is all the chaos happening behind Wyldstyle when she explains the prophecy to Emmett while everything is in slowmo.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 12, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just read that Fox has greenlit a comedy starring Will Forte for next midseason. Lord and Miller are on as executive producers.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I just read that Fox has greenlit a comedy starring Will Forte for next midseason. Lord and Miller are on as executive producers.

They're also producers on Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Those guys are doing pretty well for themselves right now.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Aphrodite posted:

Please be Clone High...:pray:

Somehow...:smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEye_2_2P7E

In related news, I just saw a promo for The Lego Movie on TV today, and the whole point was to tell people who had already seen it NOT to spoil the ending.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'd think it would be more important to not spoil "the kragle"

• Locked thread