Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

Mathuviel's expression turns into one of half resigned acceptance and half quiet bemusement. Was Friedrich joking? Sadly, not likely. He hadn't shown the wit for it. The elven thief shakes her head to herself. Now that she can see what she has to work with it seems less and less worth the effort to try and head off inevitable catastrophe... still, she at least has to make one more go. Hopefully without getting any more round-ears prissy at her.

"Just a tip, Fridrieh, but a good disguise needs..." she pauses, rooting around for a simpler word than the one she had intended to use, "a pretend role to which you are suited. Looking like what, or who, you want to be is important. As is knowing how to act like it, or fake doing so. Best to pick something simple for starters. You can always move on to the more ambitious stuff later on."

When I'm far away from you, she quietly adds to herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Friedrich

Friedrich thinks for a moment, then taps his nose with his index finger and points at Mathuviel. "I get what you're saying. I shall be a squire."

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Having reached a decision about the direction of travel, everyone loads up on the various bits of detritus salvaged from the wrecked ship and sets off. As the group traverses a series of apparently indistinguishable hills, Friedrich finds the vegetation to be quite curious. It consists mostly of grape vines, but normally grapes would not fare well in such a harsh climate. After another few minutes of walking he realizes that their progress is significantly easier in one particular direction -- despite what is likely at least a few seasons of untended growth, the vines seem to have originally been arranged in widely-separated rows. And now, from the hill on which he stands, he can in fact discern that the rows of vines carefully follow the contours of the undulating terrain. He spies the remains of terraces and irrigation ditches here and there as well.

It is just then that the howling wind abates briefly, allowing Ilsa to hear a faint rhythmic noise, like the pounding of a drum.

Out of all of you, the clueless farmer did, in fact, get the best result on the Perception tests that I just rolled behind my GM screen. And Ilsa's result was not far behind.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Friedrich

Friedrich finds the vegetation to be most curious. They were grape vines... but Averland was not a coastal province. This must be whole new breed of grapes, and to satisfy his curiosity (and hunger) Friedrich grabs a handful of grapes and stuffs them in his mouth.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

Still carrying the lockbox she'd found, Mathuviel plods onwards through the wind and the rain, somehow remaining oblivious to Friedrich's newest find by dint of staying a few feet ahead in the informal marching order.

"Anyone see any sign of shelter yet?" she asks wearily.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Ilsa

Huh, that's odd. "Anyone else hear drumming?"

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Once Ilsa gives voice to her observations, the others stop to listen carefully. They do indeed hear drumming, coming from somewhere up ahead.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

Mathuviel blinks, looking to the Shallyan, then putting a hand up to her pointy ears to better pick out the noises on the wind.

"I hear them!" she exclaims. Then her brow furrows with worry. "But whether these drummers are inclined to be friendly or not is an open question. I'll go ahead to get a better idea of who's there. Hold on to this, somebody, while I'm gone," she quips, setting down the fancy lockbox, and moves ahead through the rain, trying to go unseen and unheard towards the source of the noise. Drums might mean more round-ears, but the elven thief knew that sometimes such primitive music could herald far worse... and if it did, she did not want to blunder into that kind of trouble.

It's no wonder, then, that she swiftly disappears from sight among the rows of vines.

Silent Move 37, 1, 3 DoS

Holy poo poo, Orokos.

Also, note that just because Matti has gone ahead to scout, that doesn't mean you can't be foolhardy follow...

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kragg Gehanborson

"I patted Ilsa heartily on the back. "Never did I think a human would hear drums before me. Good ears."

"Good idea Thylenin. Quiet, I am not. I'll follow a few minutes behind, at least until it sounds like I'm getting close." I squated in the grape vine rows and counted time by how many handfuls of grapes I ate as the elf slinked away.

Listen (perception) test - how far away are the drums?: 1d100u15 25 1 DoF?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Given how much the wind is shifting in both direction and intensity, Kragg cannot discern any more details about the drumming -- in fact, sometimes he cannot hear it at all. But as Mathuviel skulks forward, she hears the drums more and more clearly, until soon chanting voices are added, and finally the sounds of violent struggle join the mix. Just then she reaches the top of a steep ravine cutting across the fields. It is devoid of vines, and from her hiding place amongst a group of large boulders topping the jagged ridgeline, she can see clearly down into the gorge below, where a fierce skirmish is raging between two groups of greenskins!

On the right, eight squat but extremely muscular Orcs battle among the scattered bodies of their fellows, wielding what appear to be crude wooden weapons. They are dressed in very little given the cold weather -- primarily the pelts of some white furred creatures. Apart from the furs, nearly every inch of their exposed bodies is streaked with bright red and yellow paint. Behind the six orcs in the front line, another orc beats furiously on a drum, while a second orc next to him -- better equipped with a metal breastplate, a metal mace, and a helm made entirely of what appear to be bones -- leads the orcs in a loud chant, repeating the same syllables over and over: "Ka-RA! Ka-RA!"

Facing off against the orcs is a band of small, spindly-limbed goblins. They outnumber the orcs nearly two to one, though their dead significantly outnumber the orcish dead as well. Most of the goblins are dressed in hooded cloaks covering mismatched bits of padded armor, and they primarily wield shortswords or (in the second rank) spears. Three goblins armed with bows (and a fourth wearing a brace of throwing knives) have clambered partway up the ravine to rain missile fire down upon their enemies. In contrast to the orcs' constant, unified chant, the goblins mostly jabber and shriek incoherently as they fight. Occasionally, one or a few goblins will emit a high-pitched cry of "Reavaz!" when one of their opponents falls.

Give me another Perception roll, please.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

Mathuviel pauses, stunned, as her eyes take in the sights of orcs and goblins in mutual melee. Despite her vagabond life the last decades, this is the closest she's ever been to either kind. A minute passes as she studies the melee, wondering which way the tide of battle will turn, amazed at the savage ferocity displayed by the orcs and rabid lack of self-preservation shown by some of the goblins.

The realization does not take long to sink in; whichever faction survives the battle, these violent creatures are currently the closest neighbours the group will have... and there could easily be more around in these hills. Swearing floridly under her breath at having the bad luck to share space with greenskins, she makes her way back along the abandoned farmland towards where she'd left her group, wondering just how bad for her group's survivability the green savages would be.

It is a sullen Mathuviel who returns to the others, gesturing at them to slow their pace and cease their fruit-munching spree.

"Bad news, we've got orcs and goblins fighting one another up ahead, which would be good news, except it means we've got orcs and goblins up ahead and potentially all over," she says and begins detailing what she saw of the bloody melee to the others. She includes the detail that she saw some strange-looking pale fellow among the orcs, perhaps having been brought down by the goblins. Why a round-ear, if that's what it was, would be working with orcs is beyond her ken.

"So... what are we to do? I figure we can try and wait things out and check if we can loot the battlefield for anything useful once they're done, or skirt the battle and head onwards, or just move in another direction altogether. Certainly we should not be messing with bands of well-armed greenskins."

Perception 42+20, 43, fatigue fail 1 DoS

And we're back to our usual sloppy droopy-eyed elf shenanigans.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 29, 2014

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Actually, the Perception check in this instance was Easy/+20%, with higher degrees of success yielding additional information. In this case, one additional degree of success is enough for Mathuviel to discover that there is also one paler-skinned creature (perhaps a human?) on the orc's side. However, he(?) is down on the ground behind the orcish lines now, perhaps having been felled by the goblins prior to Mathuviel's arrival on the scene. While he is clearly incapacitated in some fashion, he is not dead, as his limbs occasionally jerk spasmodically.

Scribbleykins, you can edit your post as you see fit based on this new information.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Friedrich

"Might as well enjoy the show." Friedrich says as he sits down and keeps eating grapes as he watches the skirmish. These were not the first greenskins he had seen in his life, but he had never seen quite so many at once, this must be a truly great battle.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Kragg Gehanborson

"Hrmmm. Hrmmm. Boulders near the edge of the ravine you say? Ha! Stupid greenskins never learn. Friends, this is a golden opportunity. Most of us have no weapons, but the earth provides. All we have to do is get to the edge of the ravine, and drop rocks on the orcs and goblins. Then we can take their weapons and be well enough armed to stop anyone who tries to make us slaves again. And protect ourselves from any other greenskins wandering about.

Ha! Only greenskins would be dumb enough to set up beneath such a perfect ambush site. I know they outnumber us, but when rocks start crashing into them from above, that will soon change. Besides, we're likely that poor sod Thylenin saw on the ground's only chance. Could be the greenskins are fighting over who gets to eat him."

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

Mathuviel seems utterly perplexed for a moment, then sighs and lifts a hand to her brow, swiping away loose locks of wet, gold-tinted hair and tucking them behind her pointed ears. She appears far from happy, but does nod at Kragg.

"I see your points. If you go, I'll come with you, Kragg. Hopefully the battle will thin their ranks further before we are seen. Any other brave takers, or arguments, for that matter?" she asks, looking wearily at the other survivors. This venture likely needed at least a few more of the round-ears' backing if it was to stand a chance, even if the orcs and goblins did wind up mostly killing one another.

So, who's for risking death being heroes?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Erik

Kneeling by the dwarf and elf, Erik narrows his eyes at the melee below. After a moment of consideration, he shakes his head slowly, speaking in a low voice. "No. We are not armed well enough, only a sword and a club between us all; we would need to claim the weapons of the fallen, and quickly, to even things up, and we would pray that the goblins keep fighting the orcs while we strike the greenskins from behind. If they were to simply run.."

The norseman's voice trails off as he looks up towards the woods. If the goblins fled, it would leave them against the orcs, and the goblins would know they were here and leave them open to an ambush should they survive. Erik drums his fingers on the hilt of his sword and scoots away from the ledge. "It is too risky. If we want to fight them, we will let them fight on until we have an advantage to press."

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Kragg Gehanborson

"We will never be armed well enough if we fight only when we must. Any fight we are forced into we will be at a disadvantage, otherwise we wouldn't be forced into it. We were lucky this time, to hear the battle before stumbling into it. Doubly lucky to have nature provide weapons as well. We will surely not be so lucky next time."

"Anyone else? It seems I am the only one to see the opportunity here, and I do not relish facing these odds with allies uncertain of their course beside me."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Erik

Erik claps the dwarf on the shoulder. "I do not fear for myself in a fight, dwarf, but for the others. If we fight, we do not risk the ones who cannot, because we cannot save them without risking ourselves. Do you understand what I mean?" The norseman knew that, if he were to try to constantly save the others who were unarmed and unable to defend themselves, or not truly able to fight, that he would be exposing himself, and the dwarf would be doing the same. And if the two of them fell, well..

He glances back at Friedrich. He doubted the simple man would know which way to hold a sword, let alone how to evade his foe's blows. And Erik didn't want to see anyone hurt just because they were made to go along with some crazed plan.

"But I will stand with you. And we can use Growt, as well, but no one who cannot or will not fight."

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

"I think all he's saying is we should wait with the ambush until the fight begins to wind down before we see whether we should try to do so or not, Kragg," offers Mathuviel far more diplomatically than she really feels at the moment. She turns to Erik.

"Does this mean you want me up there, keeping an eye on the battle? By the time I get back here to tell you all who's winning, they might leave the prime ambush spot or finish off the pale guy. Or we can just all move up there now and observe, but that risks us being seen. Not that I think the greenskins are paying too much attention right now, but you never know."

Hah. Kragg doesn't even count Elf support as actual support.

Also, we are not watching the battle. If we want to move ahead to the cliff so we can all see what's going on we should do so and then Tycho can roll perception checks for the greenskins, if he does at all. They're kind of busy at the moment.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Growt is quite enthusiastic at the prospect of combat, and perhaps gaining greater freedom. "Just put a weapon in my hand and point me at them! I'm as happy to kill greenskins as any dwarf would be!" he declares as good-naturedly as he is able.

It sounds like the plan is for at least some of you to get close enough at least to see how the battle is progressing, then if/when conditions seem favorable, to engage the surviving greenskins? Next update will assume this unless I hear otherwise.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
As you creep up to the top of the ridge, it becomes obvious that the combatants have yet to discover you, focused as they are on their own life-or-death struggle. Below, you see that more than half of the goblins and nearly half of the orcs have fallen. But even now several arrow shafts sprout from the forehead of the orcish drummer, and he pitches forward over his drum. Disrupting the chant seems only to enrage the orcs further, however. Their leader shouts in his guttural language, "TA-PU KA-RA KA-RA!" and a sickly green bolt of energy streaks from his outstretched hand to strike the archer, sending him cartwheeling backwards. Impacting on one of the large boulders, he crumples to the ground, motionless.

The battle rages on as the shaman wades into the goblin line, his mace crushing limbs and skulls. One of the goblins engaged in the melee stabs his spear toward the belly of another orc, but the strike somehow turns aside, as if the warpaint streaked across his bare torso were as hard as the steel breastplate of a Bretonnian knight. Finally realizing they are outmatched, the few remaining goblins turn to flee, but one is cut down by the painted orc, while another green bolt slashes open the last archer's belly. Wailing piteously as he attempts to hold his entrails in, he is helpless to defend himself, and the shaman's great mace crashes down on him again and again.

Finally, the battle is over. The orc leader peers out from his beneath his helm -- made not of bones as Mathuviel first supposed, but of the tusks of what must have been several truly enormous boars -- and he gestures behind his remaining companion to the man that Mathuviel saw previously. All can see that he has been tied up with stout rope by the orcs, though escape might not have been possible for him anyway, as he is obviously quite old. His long and flithy grey beard blends almost perfectly with the ragged goatskins covering the rest of his body, and he gazes wild-eyed at the orcs. But then he looks past his captors, up the slope of the ravine, and his eyes narrow tellingly. His expression rapidly changes to one of desperation as the painted orc approaches him, and he calls out hoarsely in what Ilsa and Angran recognize as Classical, "For the love of the Goddess, help me! Save me!"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Erik

Taking a quick count of the orcs, Erik grimaces. The man has seen them and is yelling to them, so it was pretty well now or never. There were only four of them now, and two of them were apparently magic, so that made things a bit tougher. Erik nudges the dwarf. "It is time to do or die, dwarf."

Erik turns slightly and motions to the elf so he can keep his voice a whisper. "We will hurl rocks at them. Get down and get weapons from the dead goblins. The dwarf, Growt, and I will meet them and you will come from behind, and I pray we will win." He looks down to Growt. "Tell him to stay silent and bring him up here. Dwarf, do you want to stay up here and pitch rocks, or do you want the club to join me in a charge?"

Basic idea: Erik surprise charges down the hill with either Kragg or Growt, while the unarmed choice and maybe Friedrich hurls rocks at the orcs. The rest of the group goes down to where the goblins were getting slaughtered and gets spears, clubs, whatever so they're armed and they flank 'em, and then Friedrich and Growt/Kragg use the distraction to join the fight and grab a weapon.

While I wouldn't want Kragg running into a fight unarmed I am perfectly fine with Growt making do with picking up a weapon near the orcs. :v:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Friedrich

Friedrich stares at the savage shaman, mouth agape and filled with half-chewed grapes.

"I'll uh.. I'll stay here and throw rocks. Sharp ones if possible."

Friedrich has stealth skills so will stay behind. He also wont oppose if someone with actual fighting skills grabs the cudgel Friedrich is carrying.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

Mathuviel winces as the old human shouts in their direction and ducks down so as not to be spotted easily. She gives Erik a long look once he's done speaking.

"Fine," she whispers, with a grimace. "I'll go ahead, but you better distract them," she continues, muttering, before starting to move down the steep ravine, watching her step carefully, as well as which path to take down that might bring her out of sight of the soon-to-be-alerted orcs. Like as not, someone will probably die soon; Mathuviel knows enough to be confident that four veteran battle-ready orcs are not going to be easy prey for a bunch of weaponless, weary ex-slaves.

As she slips and kicks loose a rock that clatters down the ravine ahead of her, the elf thief just hopes that someone won't be her.

Re: Weapons, didn't Kragg pick up a belaying pin to use as a club? I'm good with the plan's general outline, but I'm not sure how Mathuviel is going to get weapons for everyone who hasn't got one when the fight you propose is likely to occur between where weaponless people will be throwing rocks and where the weapons lie. Might take a lot of sneaking.

Silent Move 37, 67, 3 DoF

Not that it matters much! Well... I suppose a careless elf can always serve as a ready distraction for someone else.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Kragg Gehanborson

"I will stay and throw the weapons the earth provides. It was my plan. If things get tight, I still have my belaying pin. Unless you want it Thylenin?"

The time for words over, I swaggered back from the ledge. My bare feet felt good against the solid ground as I braced myself against the boulder and started to push. My muscles strained and my bones creaked as I foolishly strained to send its greater mass rolling onto my foes.

I don't remember if Thylenin found a melee weapon. She can have Kragg's if she wants Same offer for any of the other PCs except Erik who has a friggen sword.

I'm going to wait until everyone is ready IC, but in the spirit of keeping things moving here's my first action:

I don't know if boulder throwing is a BS or ST test, same either way for Kragg
Roll Boulder on Orcs: 1d100u31 2 DoF

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I'm assuming the dead goblins had weapons, which should be on the ground now.

Here's a (very) rough layout of the plan:

This is us now. We're all here above the orcs. The dead goblins are a ways away and their weapons should still be there.

From there, Growt and I charge in while Friedrich and Kragg hurl rocks; Growt and I are the main distraction (and frontliners) while everyone else goes along the ridge and down into the ravine further down to get to the goblin corpses and get the goblin weapons, and then you flank 'em.

Kragg can join in the charge down with his belaying pin if he wants, but it's better to have two targets on the ridge IMO.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Otto

"This is foolish, you know", Otto observes, "And likely will get us all killed. But if we must get involved in this fight, throwing down rocks from the safety of the cliffs seems wisest."

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
"I'm right behind you, Norscan," Growt says with a wicked grin.

As Erik charges down the slope, the orcs look up in surprise, and the shaman shouts out, "KA-Ra Ka-RA!" His three remaining followers form a line in front of him to receive Erik's charge, placing them in the perfect position for Angran, who manages to find a boulder that comes dislodged from the ridge easily. As it rolls down into the ravine, the orcs attempt to scatter, but one of them is not so lucky, and he ends up crushed beneath the great weight of the rock. Unfortunately, Kragg's similar attempt fails, as the boulder he has chosen is far more firmly rooted to the earth.

Meanwhile, Mathuviel heads off toward the fallen goblins. While she is not particularly stealthy, the orcs are clearly occupied by the Norscan's charge, leaving her free to pick her way down to the bow and arrows (or for that matter, the spears and shortswords) clutched by the dead greenskins.

Squashing Orcs with Big Rocks: 1d100 15 Success!
Dodging Big Rocks: 1d100 73 Failure!
Dodging Big Rocks: 1d100 10 Success.
I had actually intended for there to be fewer than four orcs still standing, and I guess having NPC-Angran take care of one of them is a good way to do that. Others can also make one attempt to push down a boulder before Erik will be in the way.
Strictly speaking, of course, Erik being in the way after that doesn't prevent anyone from pushing further boulders down... In any case those throwing rocks should use Ballistic Skill, while Strength is used for trying to dislodge boulders.
Erik can also make his attack roll (factoring in the charge), which will be resolved after any further "rocks fall, orcs die" occurrences.
Mathuviel can pick up the bow and arrow and fire next round, or she can pick up some weapons to take back to the others.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 6, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Erik

Before the charge, Erik unlocks the manacles on Growt's wrists, sizing him up for a moment before handing him his club. "We are together in this, slaver. Let us spill the blood of a common foe, and put our past behind us." Once the man is armed, Erik draws his sword and makes his run down the hill, blade held high to catch the light and act as a beacon.

Moments before reaching the orcs, however, he drops the blade and slams into his chosen target with his shoulder to drive them off balance, which doesn't amount for much in the face of the wall of green muscle, but at the very least lets Erik deliver a sucker punch by swinging the blade in low.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4525059/ Charge vs 46, 4
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4525060/ I rolled damage but if Tycho rather roll it himself this can be easily ignored (it's a 9)

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
36	31	36	41	36

A	W	M	FP
1	11/11	4	2/3

Talents: 
Menacing
Quick Draw

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Ilsa

While the others attack the greenskins, Ilsa rushes down after the big burly types to check on the injured human lying on the ground. Her training wasn't really applicable to fighting while it was still going on, having always focused much more on dealing with the inevitable results, but the old man had appealed to the goddess for help, and that she could at least try to do.

Getting down to the old guy to see how I can help.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

Fate smiles on Mathuviel, with the orcs too busy with the obvious threat to worry about the odd clattering rock she can easily make her way down to the former battlefield. As she reaches the dead goblins, warty bodies splayed out, guts and brains spilled everywhere in fetid mauled messes, she pauses for a moment, then swallows down her nausea and retrieves a bow and arrows from one of the goblin corpses. The marksmanship is predictably shoddy, nothing like the old yew longbow she once had, and whose loss she still laments, but far, far better than nothing ranged at all.

She takes a moment to inspect the weapon, ensuring that the melee has not in some way ruined its integrity or frayed the bowstring, both which might lead to unpleasantness as soon as she notches an arrow.

Oh, I see. I thought Matti was supposed to fetch weapons for everyone. I'll just start providing ranged support, then. She won't accept the belaying pin from Kragg; she'd rather run from the orcs than smack at them if she gets into trouble.

Also! When you say 'next round', Tycho, did you mean this round (which is the next round from my perspective) or the round to come (which will be the next round from yours)? I always get that confused.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Erik's sword strikes true, and the orc squeals like a stuck pig, but he remains in the fight. Meanwhile, Growt moves down the slope more carefully, in a defensive stance. Ilsa rushes across the ravine, and discovers that the old man is bruised and battered and tied up, but does not appear to be severely injured. As she draws close, he struggles against his bonds and pleads again for release. Otto, meanwhile fails to dislodge a boulder from the top of the ravine, though the fallen orcs' clubs scattered relatively near his position seem like they would be far easier to wield effectively.

Parrying Erik's Charge: 1d100 76 Fail!
A few slight modifications/clarifications to Dyne's tactical map, representing positions and movements up to the end of Round 1:

Friedrich still needs to attack (if he's going to), but in the meantime you can all post your actions for Round 2! Note also the post in the OOC thread.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Ilsa

When the old man pleads for help, Ilsa answers him in classical. "We'll do what we can to help." She crouches next to him and starts to undo his bonds, nut quickly notices that the knots are far too intricate for her to untie with no knowledge of knots, and looks around the battlefield for something sharp.

Looking for a knife or something to cut his bonds with.

Waci fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 6, 2014

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Friedrich

Friedrich chooses the nastiest and fightiest looking boulder nearby and tries pushing it down on the orcs. He finds one easily enough and sends it rolling down on the greenskins.

1d100=1 drat.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
drat indeed.
Dodge Boulder: 1d100 47 Orc 1 fails to dodge -- no need to worry about him anymore.
Dodge Boulder: 1d100 7 Alas, the Shaman avoids the boulder.
Friedrich can act in Round 2 as well.
Ilsa spies a bone-handled knife on the hip of the deceased orc drummer. She can grab it and return to the old man in the next round.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

Mathuviel quickly confirms that the bow is... adequate, so she next tests her aim on the orc shaman. As one of the only enemies likely to be able to hurt her or those up on the cliff with that weird orc magic of his, she might as well try and get him out of the way quick.

At least the battle is going the group's way. The elven thief is incredulous at seeing two of the orcs dispatched so quickly, but she'll happily take whatever scrap of fortune fate throws the group's way. Unfortunately, as she lets her first volley fly, goblin arrows turn out to be about as accurate as she'd expected.

Looks to me like we're doing good enough that I can just start shooting the Shaman.

Ballistic Skill 37, 85, 4 DoF

e: forgot the combat block.

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
31	41	31	31	41

A	W	M	FP
1	8/10	5	2/2

Specialist Weapon Group (Longbow)

-4 temp characteristic penalty

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 7, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Erik

The Norscan glances to the side as one of the boulders crushes another orc; so far, the battle was certainly sweeping in their favor, and Erik grins. He looks back at the orc he's facing and screams at it, a cry of exhilaration and triumph, before bringing his blade back around in another slash across the creature's hide. They would win this; they would kill the orcs, they would save the old man, and they would be triumphant.

It felt good to be Norse right about now.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4527290/ ERIK HAS COME TO KILL ORCS (rolled a 3)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4527291/ Erik deals 10 damage before Toughness

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
36	31	36	41	36

A	W	M	FP
1	11/11	4	2/3

Talents: 
Menacing
Quick Draw

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Kragg Gehanborson

"Bouncing stone balls!" Hearing another orc briefly screaming as a boulder crushed him I hissed out a curse. This drat rock was too sturdy too be pushed down on our foes. I could not afford to let this tallfolk think I was weak, and useless in a fight just because I was shorter than them. Snatching my belaying pin from my belt I charged down the slope towards the Orc Shaman. My muscles still weak from straining to roll boulders on our enemies; my bare feet skidded out from under me on the treacherous slope and I went tumbling down. The shaman not in the least inconvenienced. My belaying pin knocked free of my grasp during the tumble and... somewhere. So much for proving I could fight.

Melee attack Shaman: 1d100u46 91 4 degrees of failure

I am guessing that John Dyne's target is probably dead, otherwise I would have tried to help there.

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
41+5	31	31	41	21

A	W	M	FP
1	12/12	3	2/2

Skills:
Dodge Blow

Talents:
Grudge-born Fury      +5% WS vs Orcs, Goblins, and Hobgoblins
Street Fighting           Strike Mighty Blow
Strike to Injure          Strike to Stun

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Seeing Ilsa approaching his prisoner, the orc shaman moves to intercept her, swinging his great mace as he closes. Fortunately, Shallya is merciful to her daughter, and the orc's attack is wide of its mark. Seeing her companion assaulted, Mathuviel attempts to fire an arrow into the shaman's back, but the inferior make of the bow results in an arrow that arcs well over its target's head to clatter harmlessly into the rocky slope. Kragg, meanwhile, charges into the fray, but he stumbles on the steep slope of the ravine, and barely manages to retain his balance as he slides to a stop a few feet from the shaman and Ilsa.

I'm sure Matti's failure is entirely the fault of the bow, not the archer. drat that goblin crafsmanship! What's Kragg's excuse?

While the others' combat skills prove ineffectual, Erik shows off his true warrior heritage, cleaving deeply with his sword into the orc's arm. The savage creature drops his club, but swiftly bends to retrieve it with his other hand, and brings it upward to connect solidly with Erik's midsection.

Critical Hit +1 to the right arm, and the orc loses the use of that arm for the round. However...
Attack: 1d100 2 is a hit against Erik.
Damage: 1d10 5+3 = 8 damage, before Toughness Parried by Erik.

As the melee rages below, Angran quickly scans the rocky ridge and selects a large, pointed rock to fling at the orc engaging Erik. As if he were part halfling, the elf sends the rock spinning with all his might, and it crashes directly into the orc's forehead, knocking the creature flat on its back!

Throwing Rocks: 1d100 12 Angran hits!
Throwing Rocks: 1d10 10 Alas, Ulric does not favor the elf, but 9 damage is still enough for a Criticial Hit +3 on the orc, which results in him being knocked down, dazed, and at -30% to all tests next round.

Erik is just beginning to wonder if Growt will finish off the orc, when suddenly, with a cry of, "Ka-Ra! Ka-Ra!" the slaver lands a vicious blow with his club to Erik's unprotected flank!

What, you expected something different after you defeated him, humiliated him, and locked him in chains?
Attack: 1d100 2. A hit.
Damage: 1d10 9+5 = 14 damage before Toughness, which means a Critical Hit +3 to Erik's left arm (or non-weapon arm, to be more precise, on the off chance he happens to be left-handed). That limb is useless until he receives medical attention.

Friedrich and Otto are batting cleanup for Round 2. You all have weapons for the most part now, but Growt has had time to sober up, and the shaman is not likely to be a pushover either. The fight, it seems, has just gotten a lot more interesting...

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

Cursing both inferior goblin craftsmanship and the nature of humans, Mathuviel notches another arrow and resists the urge to take her time aiming. As well as the fight has gone the last few seconds, Growt's betrayal has turned it back around, and she cannot afford to dally. Instead, she dispels her weariness through force of will and tries to recall how far the arrow had sailed over her intended target, instantly making a few adjustments to her grip on the bow and crouching down a few inches. Having found her new center, she inhales, holds her breath, and fires, not at the shaman this time, but at the predictably treacherous Growt. As the arrow bites deep into his head, the elf thief takes a grim satisfaction in the well-aimed shot... it seems fate would not deny her a measure of revenge against the ex-slaver.

Ballistic Skill 37, 1, 3 DoS

?bow damage 1d10+3, 12

Huh. She is WAY better at killing men than orcs. Funny that.

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
31	41	31	31	41

A	W	M	FP
1	8/10	5	2/2

Specialist Weapon Group (Longbow)

-4 temp characteristic penalty

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 8, 2014

• Locked thread