Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
We may have signed Raul (or maybe not, it's all just conjecture). Which would be pretty cool. Cause even though he played for Madrid he was a endear-able chap. Unlike the modern team.

http://www.marca.com/2014/05/03/futbol/futbol_internacional/estados_unidos/1399136915.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Lladre posted:

We may have signed Raul (or maybe not, it's all just conjecture). Which would be pretty cool. Cause even though he played for Madrid he was a endear-able chap. Unlike the modern team.

http://www.marca.com/2014/05/03/futbol/futbol_internacional/estados_unidos/1399136915.html

That's just not fair.

The Scorpions played well but just couldn't finish. I'm pretty sure Tampa had one shot on goal. And one goal. They seem to be getting better though.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edmonton forward Sadi Jalali was hit in the temple in a clash of heads in the 93rd minute last night and got knocked unconscious. It was serious enough that an ambulance was sent right onto the field for him. Apparently he's got a concussion but other than that will be okay.

It was pretty :stonk: ... the poor guy got knocked right the gently caress out and the game was stopped for 10-15 minutes.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 5, 2014

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

NASL live streaming still sucks.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Do over Ham posted:

NASL live streaming still sucks.

Yeah it's crap.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
MN at NY starting in 40.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Woof! Woof! posted:

MN at NY starting in 40.

I am missing this game doing certification. Hope you guys lose.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Lladre posted:

I am missing this game doing certification. Hope you guys lose.

I hope Pele dies

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Boy, that's a whole lot of lines and big printed letters on that turf.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
USL PDL+ announced

A fall season for USL PDL, hopefully during the week, because the PDL Champion Austin Aztex play at a high school football stadium.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Woof! Woof! posted:

I hope Pele dies

That escalated quickly.

trem_two posted:

Boy, that's a whole lot of lines and big printed letters on that turf.

The stadium is used for lacrosse so all the blue lines are for that.

Lladre fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 13, 2014

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

USL PDL+ announced

A fall season for USL PDL, hopefully during the week, because the PDL Champion Austin Aztex play at a high school football stadium.
With the amount of franchise turnover in that league while only playing in the summer I'm not sure how good of an idea this is

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

With the amount of franchise turnover in that league while only playing in the summer I'm not sure how good of an idea this is

The important thing is that the USL gets more fees this way.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is this really what a Newcastle accent sounds like?

http://m.clickondetroit.com/sports/uniquely-detroit-detroit-city-fc/25951338

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Woof! Woof! posted:

I hope Pele dies

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

I agree entirely with this. Most of the guys that are playing on the USL PDL team here are also playing on college squads somewhere. Granted, the team here (River City Rovers) can barely get two dozen people to their games because they play at a High School field half an hour outside Louisville.

Do over Ham posted:

The important thing is that the USL gets more fees this way.

This doesn't seem to actually be the case. Once the club has paid their PDL fee, which is exorbitant, they don't pay it again if they drop for a bit and come back.

I'm happy if this leads to progress for our professional levels, but I'm going to be hesitant about it until I see how it works. the NASL's spring/fall seasons are annoying to me, and I wish they would just have one season with a break in the middle of summer.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
We're on top of the table! The NASL average home attendance table.

Indy Eleven (3 home games): 10585
San Antonio Scorpions (3): 6270
Tampa Bay Rowdies (2): 5837
Minnesota United FC (2): 5100
NY Cosmos (3): 5084
Atlanta Silverbacks (2): 4461
Carolina RailHawks: (2): 4037
FC Edmonton (2): 3838
Ft Lauderdale Strikers (3): 3243
Ottawa Fury FC (3): 2593

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Gonna sell out tomorrow, too! And it's our best shot at win this season!

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

excited for the weather to turn in MN and hopefully drive attendance back up a bit.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Please win the drat game, Indy. I want the crowd to support the team long-term... :smith:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crap....note to self: edit is not new post.

Jhet posted:

I agree entirely with this. Most of the guys that are playing on the USL PDL team here are also playing on college squads somewhere. Granted, the team here (River City Rovers) can barely get two dozen people to their games because they play at a High School field half an hour outside Louisville.

This doesn't seem to actually be the case. Once the club has paid their PDL fee, which is exorbitant, they don't pay it again if they drop for a bit and come back.

I'm happy if this leads to progress for our professional levels, but I'm going to be hesitant about it until I see how it works. the NASL's spring/fall seasons are annoying to me, and I wish they would just have one season with a break in the middle of summer.

NASL split season is ok, if it were balanced schedule in both halves. This current year with a short spring season and long fall season makes no sense. NASL players are not going to be in the World Cup so why cut the spring season short?

As to the USL....I was joking, mostly. But expansion fees are not USL's only income. I would be shocked if they are not getting some kind of extra fees for playing an extra season.

Speaking of the USL, and their nefarious ways... :ninja:

A few years ago the USL took over control of MISL (Major Indoor Soccer League) and I said to myself "this will not end well", and by golly...

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Indoor_Soccer_League_%282008%E2%80%93%29

Merger with I-League

An update to the official MISL "About" web page on October 6, 2010, acknowledged that the league was composed of only five teams, with the Rockford Rampage and Monterrey La Raza no longer active league members.[7] On October 15, 2010, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported the exodus of the Philadelphia KiXX and the addition of a Chicago franchise.[8]
Logo for proposed USL I-League

On October 21, 2010, the United Soccer Leagues (USL), which also oversees the men's USL Pro and USL Premier Development Leagues proposed a new league which was to begin play in the fall of 2011, the 'USL I-League.[9]

On May 16, 2011, the USL, struggling to sign teams for the new league, agreed instead to take over operation of the MISL.[10] Three teams from the proposed league were added: the Norfolk SharX, Rochester Lancers and Syracuse Silver Knights.

On June 22, 2012, the MISL announced that a new Chicago franchise was awarded to Armando Gamboa and Dave Mokry for the 2012–13 season. The club was subsequently named the Chicago Soul, with the club making its home at the Sears Centre.[11]

On June 25, 2012, The Norfolk SharX announced that the team would cease operations effective immediately because of financial difficulties.
Final season

A new incarnation of the St. Louis Ambush were announced as an expansion team on June 14, 2013. This is St. Louis' first professional indoor soccer team since the St. Louis Steamers folded in 2006.[12][13]

One day after the 2013-14 MISL Championship game (March 17, 2014) USL President Tim Holt released a video stating that the USL is reevaluating the MISL to create a more "sustainable" league that features the highest level of professional indoor soccer. He noted that the process would take "more than a few months" and that the possibility of not having a 2014-15 playing season exists. The five teams (Baltimore, Milwaukee, Missouri, Rochester, and Syracuse) that are in discussions to possibly join the Professional Arena Soccer League for the 2014-15 season would not be returning to the MISL.[3][14][15]

I don't care about indoor soccer and in fact consider it a frenemy that helped kill off the original NASL in the 1980s (not that the NASL bad decisions/bad luck weren't sufficient in themselves to kill off the original NASL, of course); indoor was briefly able to promote the meme that "Americans will never understand outdoor soccer; indoor soccer is where it's at!" (Paul Gardner referred to indoor as American soccer's "cuckoo" nestling attempting to kill off the real thing, which seemed an apt description at the time) all of which has fortunately turned out not to be true (and which is all ancient history at this point anyway). Anyway if you know something about USL/MISL personalities google the recent breakup of the MISL; some choice comments flying between USL/MISL and the breakaway MISL owners (including Salvatore "Soccer Sam" Fantauzzo, CEO/Founder of the Rochester Lancers). USL/MISL accused Soccer Sam of slander (I believe Soccer Sam called the USL a "Ponzi Scheme"), and was issuing various threats/parting shots to the breakaway owners. More details in the Pro Indoor Soccer subforum at The Web Forum That Shall Not Be Named.

Anyway, good times. :toot:

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 17, 2014

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

awyeahz posted:

We're on top of the table! The NASL average home attendance table.

Indy Eleven (3 home games): 10585
San Antonio Scorpions (3): 6270
Tampa Bay Rowdies (2): 5837
Minnesota United FC (2): 5100
NY Cosmos (3): 5084
Atlanta Silverbacks (2): 4461
Carolina RailHawks: (2): 4037
FC Edmonton (2): 3838
Ft Lauderdale Strikers (3): 3243
Ottawa Fury FC (3): 2593

Nice to see the Rowdies improve home attendance; Bill Edwards new ownership is paying off quickly (also seeing Edwards do battle with the City of St. Pete/St. Pete Baseball Commission has been entertaining). If they sell out Al Lang for their next home game against the New York Cosmos, which they should, and keep up their attendance for other less heavily promoted games the rest of the year, they will be doing well. Now, if only the Rowdies on field performance would improve I'd be happier.

Speaking of the Cosmos: I hate the Cosmos and everything in it! [shakes fist at sky] :argh:

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Do over Ham posted:

Now, if only the Rowdies on field performance would improve I'd be happier.

Yeah, it's been a frustrating season so far. Glad we've had good attendance, though. Bill Edwards has done a lot for us so far; I can't wait to see what else he'll be able to do.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Do over Ham posted:

Crap....note to self: edit is not new post.

NASL split season is ok, if it were balanced schedule in both halves. This current year with a short spring season and long fall season makes no sense. NASL players are not going to be in the World Cup so why cut the spring season short?
In the league's explanation, they didn't want to have games during the time frame of the World Cup because they didn't want to have fans have to make a choice between watching World Cup games on TV or going to NASL games in person, which makes sense. However, they should have just scrapped the split-season thing for this year then.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

That was the worst Rowdies game I've ever been to. I was embarrassed to be in the stands.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Aardvark Barber posted:

Yeah, I've heard about that. They really need to do more advertising, as the ONLY way I found out about the home opener was through a friend who was already going who was posting about it on Facebook

I'm a season ticket holder in the supporters section, and I'll agree with the lack of advertising. At least the Trib (one of the two main newspapers in town) hasgot on board with all sorts of coverage.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
We dominated possession again with lots if opportunities but couldn't finish. Still better that we managed a draw this time instead if losing but I'm still a bit disappointed.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Turns out that the Eleven are a bit poo poo. They also look like children playing against giants most of the time! We've gotta at least beat USL Pro minnows Dayton Dutch Lions, right?!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Atlanta is also complete poo poo.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

In the league's explanation, they didn't want to have games during the time frame of the World Cup because they didn't want to have fans have to make a choice between watching World Cup games on TV or going to NASL games in person, which makes sense. However, they should have just scrapped the split-season thing for this year then.

Yes, either that or just finish off the spring season after the World Cup ends (or bite the weather bullet like MLS does, and start the spring season a month earlier). As it is, the winner of the unbalanced, short spring season has a way too easy entrance into the playoffs. I don't have any objections to split seasons as long as it is balanced schedules for both halves.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 19, 2014

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

King of False Promises posted:

That was the worst Rowdies game I've ever been to. I was embarrassed to be in the stands.

Yikes. And attendance wasn't so hot either, so that's a bit of a mixed blessing/curse.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Do over Ham posted:

Yikes. And attendance wasn't so hot either, so that's a bit of a mixed blessing/curse.

Yeah, reported at ~4,800, so lower than the past few games, but not terrible. I just hope the new people aren't scared away by how terrible we were.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Do over Ham posted:

Yes, either that or just finish off the spring season after the World Cup ends (or bite the weather bullet like MLS does, and start the spring season a month earlier).

The league already begins with teams like Minnesota and Edmonton having to start the entire first month or two of the season on the road. You can't move the season up any further, it already starts when it's still winter here. Any earlier and there wouldn't be snow cleared.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Woof! Woof! posted:

The league already begins with teams like Minnesota and Edmonton having to start the entire first month or two of the season on the road. You can't move the season up any further, it already starts when it's still winter here. Any earlier and there wouldn't be snow cleared.
And the stadiums don't have undersoil heating either, so you'd have frozen fields to deal with.

Or in the case of Minnesota this past winter, really loving frozen fields.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007
Yeah, if you've ever heard Brian Johnson talk, he's originally from just south of Newcastle. A friend of mine once called the Tyne and Wear Derby "the best rivalry waged in a nearly incomprehensible accent".

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Woof! Woof! posted:

True. NASL teams don't have the kind of facilities MLS teams have so that's not an option now. But at one point it wasn't an option for MLS either. Not saying NASL will ever get there of course.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
This is a cool article on Eric Hassli. He talks about his time in Dallas and MLS as well as how he feels about the league and the Scorps.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Suqit posted:

This is a cool article on Eric Hassli. He talks about his time in Dallas and MLS as well as how he feels about the league and the Scorps.

Thanks for posting that.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cosmos supporters made a tifo that's says long island but they used some weird font so it looks like long Islam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
there are 3 players named Mendes on the field, a new NASL record

e.: and 0 first half shots on goal from the indy elves

awyeahz fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 25, 2014

• Locked thread