Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Zig is your character at cap an enchanter by any chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
No sir, tailor inscription.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Servers having a anneurism

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Hows the population? Specifically during US times and how many Americans are there?

Every other private server I've played has been dominated by Europeans and South Americans.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

dkj posted:

Hows the population? Specifically during US times and how many Americans are there?

Every other private server I've played has been dominated by Europeans and South Americans.

I've heard that it can get into the upper hundreds (800+) during peak hours. Someone posted a count on the last page, and there was like 250 just on Horde during the EU afternoon. Zigfried and the other higher level goons have said that it's pretty easy to get groups including PUGs for raids. They can probably answer your questions better then I can at this point.

In a month or two we will probably have enough people in our guild to actually raid without having to PUG, hopefully.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Suran37 posted:

I've heard that it can get into the upper hundreds (800+) during peak hours. Someone posted a count on the last page, and there was like 250 just on Horde during the EU afternoon. Zigfried and the other higher level goons have said that it's pretty easy to get groups including PUGs for raids. They can probably answer your questions better then I can at this point.

In a month or two we will probably have enough people in our guild to actually raid without having to PUG, hopefully.

I'll give it a shot when the client is done downloading.

Are there any class-breaking bugs for warlocks, mages, or rogues?

Pet pathing and pet bugs in general are usually an issue on private servers.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hi my name is Shishkabob I will play some wotlk wow I guess if that's ok.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

dkj posted:

I'll give it a shot when the client is done downloading.

Are there any class-breaking bugs for warlocks, mages, or rogues?

Pet pathing and pet bugs in general are usually an issue on private servers.

My 'lock is in the low teens now and I haven't really run into pet problems yet. They don't board the boats or airships, though; you'll have to resummon at your destination.

Just got the steal health spell, so the No Downtime train can now leave the station. :killdozer:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rogues seem to work fine at 70 from my limited play time. Leveling lockpicking though still sucks. :suicide:

We don't have a single DK in the guild so someone get on that.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

What side is the guild on?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Horde

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Hotpockets, Anduric, Nineinches, and Fixins can now also recruit!

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

Still happy to make glyphs and bags for new characters. In game name is same as forums name.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

In as Reaganomics.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone who needs mount money when they hit 20 whisper Fixins in game and i'll hook ya up.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Been playing a shitload of Hearthstone and want to see if WoW will bite me again and this seems a bit better than the classic server I tried earlier (I can't go back to Vanilla even though I tried).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only thing this server lacks is RDF, but other than that the levelling experience is mostly good *says the pay to win*

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

The only thing this server lacks is RDF, but other than that the levelling experience is mostly good *says the pay to win*

Not even real pay to win.

Haven't really seen any bugs so far. Even Wintergrasp works apparently.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Is there a way to make the game not require me to reset my resolution settings and preferences everytime I start it?

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!

Haruharuharuko posted:

Is there a way to make the game not require me to reset my resolution settings and preferences everytime I start it?

This guide worked for me.

FutuerBear
Feb 22, 2006
Slippery Tilde
For some reason the game client (some molten core branded 3.3.5 torrent I download) kept reverting may changes to the realmlist in config.wtf and download a batch everytime I tried to sign in. Im downloading another version now; but anyone have experience with that issue?

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I'm not the most computer literate. I'm using the molten client as well. What happens when you try to log on? Is the game itself trying to update or is it rewriting your realmlist.wtf to match molten's

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
I copy/pasted my Molten download for this and was only able to successfully connect to the Dalaran server after I made sure to un-mark realmlist.wtf as "Read-only." This allowed me to save the file in the correct format.

Changing realmlist.wtf from "Read-only" and editing the text in the file itself were literally the only changes I needed to make to have a playable client, though.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah, just right click, go to properties, and uncheck "Read-only."

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also move the folder out of your torrent download folder as it auto downloads Read Only.

Zigfried is there a guide anyweres as to what to do once you hit 80 on this server? I'm 79 and I forgot what to do :v:

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

Also move the folder out of your torrent download folder as it auto downloads Read Only.

Zigfried is there a guide anyweres as to what to do once you hit 80 on this server? I'm 79 and I forgot what to do :v:

You can start playing the game!

But really, with no rdf you're going to have to manually find groups. Not sure how many 80s we have in guild.

While waiting for groups grind professions and make money.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Some combination of doing dailies for cash, grind factions/heroics for gear, raid Naxx/EoE/OS, grind professions, do achievements, run low level instances for guild members, etc.

Unless you mean specifically in regards to the Progression aspect of the server. The stuff I read made it sound like you should build a set of gear for each tier of raid, because of their gear restriction rule. (You can't take Ulduar gear into Naxx raids unless everybody in the raid has beaten Naxx and has the Naxx achievement) Kind of a pain in the rear end for any class that can fill multiple roles in a raid.

BiggerThanPete
Nov 11, 2012

Guys, I'm going in.
I know it's not ideal, but all you have to do to fix the resolution on startup crap is edit your config file. Find the gxresolution or whatever it's called and change it to whatever you want. Windowed mode is gxWindowed="1" or something like that. I had to enter it as it wasn't in the torrented config file. You can set your sound to off and change the preselected server in the config file also. For some reason it's just not writing the file correctly when you log out. Could be permissions, I don't knwo. Doing the manual changes fixes it though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just wasn't sure what is needed gear wise to get into a raid on this server. I guess I could enter heroics straight up with 80 greens and blues?

BiggerThanPete
Nov 11, 2012

Guys, I'm going in.

saltylopez posted:

Some combination of doing dailies for cash, grind factions/heroics for gear, raid Naxx/EoE/OS, grind professions, do achievements, run low level instances for guild members, etc.

Unless you mean specifically in regards to the Progression aspect of the server. The stuff I read made it sound like you should build a set of gear for each tier of raid, because of their gear restriction rule. (You can't take Ulduar gear into Naxx raids unless everybody in the raid has beaten Naxx and has the Naxx achievement) Kind of a pain in the rear end for any class that can fill multiple roles in a raid.

Yeah it kind of sounds like you need to hold on to multiple sets of gear in order to be able to do older dungeons and raids. It would be nice if they just limited the total gear score, so that you could just throw on a couple greens or blues and keep most of your gear.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Most likely, unless they've tampered with heroic tuning.

Only tanks should really have a gear requirement for the heroics currently available. If the Icecrown heroics were out, I would suggest avoiding them as a fresh 80.

Take this with a grain of salt since I'm not level 80, but if they're going for a blizz-like Wrath server a competent player with a fresh 80 should be fine to do the Wotlk heroics. Knowledge of the mechanics of some of the bosses/encounters might be helpful if you're not familiar with them, though. Oculus, in particular, is difficult due to some of the mechanics and coordination required.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Abu Dave posted:

I just wasn't sure what is needed gear wise to get into a raid on this server. I guess I could enter heroics straight up with 80 greens and blues?

If heroics haven't been buffed from base wrath, they've got super low gear requirements and should be doable with a fresh 80 as long as your group knows what they're doing.

Look up what faction gives you rewards for the spec you want at exalted and wear those tabards in dungeons, make sure you finish Icecrown and start the sons of hodir rep grind, then run heroics for the epics they drop at the end of them.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Icecrown is broken in this so :v:. Or atleast that's what i've been told, because the quest that turns the Occulus into a neutral place is busted.

I kinda wanna heal but I guess i'll enter heroics as DPS just to get a balance of the fights again and just use emblems on healing gear. Thanks for the help guys. Wonder what I need to enter VoA.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

Icecrown is broken in this so :v:. Or atleast that's what i've been told, because the quest that turns the Occulus into a neutral place is busted.

I kinda wanna heal but I guess i'll enter heroics as DPS just to get a balance of the fights again and just use emblems on healing gear. Thanks for the help guys. Wonder what I need to enter VoA.

If you're a priest and want to heal, I can tell you that the tuskar actually have an extremely good robe you can get at I want to say honored. I can't really help a whole lot with it, though, because last time I did endgame wrath gearing for a priest I was in full T5 and could just walk into naxx :v:

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

If it's anything like Live, just knowing the mechanics of your class, your rotations, etc. is going to make you a better player than 90% of the population. Gear will come naturally at that point.

If it's not like Live, and everybody who plays on this server is in the 90th percentile of WoW players, then you'll get carried through the raid anyway and get your gear that way. Especially if you're dps. A fresh 80 could probably help heal VoA as long as you were running 2 other average healers, or you had one solid healer.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

Abu Dave posted:

You can do heroics as dps the second you hit 80. If you're looking to heal you should get some gear to save yourself some grief. I recommend finding which faction gives you the appropriate head enchant and grabbing their tabard asap. Getting exalted with a faction gives you epic gear to buy so find which pieces are the largest upgrades and go from the. Emblem gear is great, the trinket should be priority#1. You can buy epic gems with emblems so you can't have too many. Finally check professions for craftable gear. There's no cooldown on things like ebonweave in 3.3.5 so getting crafted epics isn't hard.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awesome thanks dudes, going to get right on that.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
What's the consensus on inviting non-goon friends to the guild? I have a friend or two I'm trying to get interested in the server.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We're going to probably need any 80 we can get for the beggining so i'm cool with it, but it's up to Frostshock so :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Also, if you're a healer/tank, do normal utgarde pinnacle, halls of lightning, culling, and oculus for regular old level 80 non heroic gear. They're pretty simple, and with regular 80's dungeon gear you'd be fine for heroics. The gear level for heroics is extremely low compared to other expansions, mainly because blizzard really wanted wrath to be about accessibility, which is the main reason why people were beating all of the available content at launch in sunwell gear. If you're healing a group and you're running out of mana, and you're fairly sure you're not doing it wrong, tell your group to quit standing in the fire and tell your tank to actually use his cooldowns.

The same exact item level epics drop at the end of heroics as naxx drops, and sartharion, so you have a lot of incentive to run every heroic every day if you're running guild groups. Our best tank at wrath release was the one who the leadership didn't like and so didn't invite him to naxx much in the beginning, yet ran every heroic every day and got his paladin and several of our DPS fully kitted out in naxx level epics by running groups through every heroic every day.

Also, I should mention I have no intention of playing on algalon, I'm just bored at school waiting between classes and have experience with this exact subject on live. :v: I hope at least some of this is helpful.

• Locked thread