Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Great White Hope posted:

Eric Young isn't that much more of a joke than Randy Orton, and is about 10000 times more credible than Magnus.

You are comparing someone who is a multiple time world champion and won the last money in the bank to Eric Young whom was 1/2 of the last Knockout Tag Team Champion.

Lol ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Randy Orton had a lovely reign, played second fiddle to HHH and was pushed as undeserving. Yes.

But let's not pretend he was a guy who was on the level of Eric Young: Comedy Goof since 2006 who not even a year ago was well over a year into a tag reign in the women's division.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

You are comparing someone who is a multiple time world champion and won the last money in the bank to Eric Young whom was 1/2 of the last Knockout Tag Team Champion.

Lol ok

Oh, if that came off as a defense of TNA, it wasn't. The Eric Young storyline (and about 99% of TNA storylines) is complete trash.

But Eric Young can win matches clean. WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton lost to Kofi Kingston clean.

HulkaMatt posted:

But let's not pretend he was a guy who was on the level of Eric Young: Comedy Goof since 2006 who not even a year ago was well over a year into a tag reign in the women's division.

How credible would you consider Damien Sandow and Fandango? Those two beat Kofi less than a month before his clean win over Orton.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 4, 2014

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

As one of the only people on the forum usually willing to get into the 'Eric Young doesn't suck he's just given bad material' argument in favor of him even I can't support calling him more credible than Randy Orton.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

As one of the only people on the forum usually willing to get into the 'Eric Young doesn't suck he's just given bad material' argument in favor of him even I can't support calling him more credible than Randy Orton.

When did I call him more credible than Orton? All I said is that he wasn't massively far below him, and was a huge step up from Magnus. Maybe I'm the crazy one who doesn't think highly of Fandango though!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I see you are splitting hairs so

Great White Hope posted:

"Good matches" is the most TNA has ever been able to deliver on a somewhat regular basis. Eric Young isn't that much more of a joke than Randy Orton, and is about 10000 times more credible than Magnus.

You said 'isn't that much more of a joke than Randy Orton' so basically the same thing with a different way of saying it. Either way saying that Young's career is anywhere near the same level of success and popularity that cause people to talk about Orton far more seriously as a threat in a wrestleman champion sense is silly.

Unless your entire argument is how they are booked and even then it's silly because if someone is booked to be a strong champion in a forest and no one is around to get a papered ticket to see it.. does it make a sound?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I see you are splitting hairs so

You said 'isn't that much more of a joke than Randy Orton' so basically the same thing with a different way of saying it. Either way saying that Young's career is anywhere near the same level of success and popularity that cause people to talk about Orton far more seriously as a threat in a wrestleman champion sense is silly.

Unless your entire argument is how they are booked and even then it's silly because if someone is booked to be a strong champion in a forest and no one is around to get a papered ticket to see it.. does it make a sound?

I don't watch wrestling to enjoy things that happened 5 years ago. If I did, I'd take Kofi Kingston a lot more seriously rather than looking at him as "Oh, it's that guy who never does anything that matters". I don't take Mark Henry, The Great Khali, or Dolph Ziggler seriously as threats anymore, because their time as a serious threat is gone.

I care about what a guy offers now. Did it matter that Mark Henry was a midcard dork forever (with constant teases of mattering until he sucked or got injured or WWE got bored) when he became happy killer Mark Henry, starting murdering all the things, and bench pressed cheers? No, it was awesome and I loved every second of it (until WWE got bored and made him a stupid loser). Was I supposed to go "GOD THE FAT GUY WAS A poo poo WRESTLER, I CANNOT TAKE HIM SERIOUSLY"?

If someone is treated like a dumb loser right now, that is how I will treat them. I don't care that Dolph Ziggler is a 2-time World Heavyweight Champion, he's a loser. If he were to beat Daniel Bryan tomorrow for the World Heavyweight Championship, it would be far below putting the TNA World Title on Eric Young, should the storylines be the same.

Now, the Eric Young storyline is completely awful, but it's TNA and I've accepted that the storylines are awful and I don't care except to laugh at them.

I look at Randy Orton and go "That guy can't even beat Fandango-level opponents, what a loving loser" and consider Orton's post-Summerslam title reign to have been among the weakest I can think of. You might have to get into the non-wrestler/Magnus reigns to get to guys whose reigns I can say for sure I consider less credible than Orton's.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Great White Hope posted:

How credible would you consider Damien Sandow and Fandango? Those two beat Kofi less than a month before his clean win over Orton.

Not credible? Don't think it makes him as much of a joke as the Eric Young character though. It was a really badly booked reign though.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Great White Hope posted:

I don't watch wrestling to enjoy things that happened 5 years ago. If I did, I'd take Kofi Kingston a lot more seriously rather than looking at him as "Oh, it's that guy who never does anything that matters". I don't take Mark Henry, The Great Khali, or Dolph Ziggler seriously as threats anymore, because their time as a serious threat is gone.

I care about what a guy offers now. Did it matter that Mark Henry was a midcard dork forever (with constant teases of mattering until he sucked or got injured or WWE got bored) when he became happy killer Mark Henry, starting murdering all the things, and bench pressed cheers? No, it was awesome and I loved every second of it (until WWE got bored and made him a stupid loser). Was I supposed to go "GOD THE FAT GUY WAS A poo poo WRESTLER, I CANNOT TAKE HIM SERIOUSLY"?

If someone is treated like a dumb loser right now, that is how I will treat them. I don't care that Dolph Ziggler is a 2-time World Heavyweight Champion, he's a loser. If he were to beat Daniel Bryan tomorrow for the World Heavyweight Championship, it would be far below putting the TNA World Title on Eric Young, should the storylines be the same.

Now, the Eric Young storyline is completely awful, but it's TNA and I've accepted that the storylines are awful and I don't care except to laugh at them.

I look at Randy Orton and go "That guy can't even beat Fandango-level opponents, what a loving loser" and consider Orton's post-Summerslam title reign to have been among the weakest I can think of. You might have to get into the non-wrestler/Magnus reigns to get to guys whose reigns I can say for sure I consider less credible than Orton's.

So basically by your method of thinking every champion in WWE for the last few years that isn't John Cena is a dumb loser then. Didn't know there were people that actually formed their entire opinion on any given wrestler solely based on (typically bad across the board) wrestling booking but here we are.

Edit: Either way comparing Eric Young to Randy Orton is still weird he's been in or near the main event in the biggest company in the world for years

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 4, 2014

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

WWE booking guys other than John Cena (and babyface Orton/Sheamus) to look like crap (especially midcard champions) was a problem for a while, yes. I'm pretty sure this is well established.

But even then there's a world of difference between 'cowardly heel' and 'loses to guys multiple tiers below your belt clean'.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Pretty much every main eventer has lost to someone 'far below them' in recent years and the concept of some guys being far below others is one of the problems with how the rosters on wrestling promotions are booked. This is just gonna go round and round so I'll pass.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Didn't know there were people that actually formed their entire opinion on any given wrestler solely based on (typically bad across the board) wrestling booking but here we are.

When did I say this affected how much I care about the wrestler themselves? I love Mark Henry, I love Heath Slater and Drew McIntyre, I've loved all sorts of guys who, if you asked me, are losers. Awesome, terribly (or so perfectly in Heath's case) booked, but losers.

But just because I love the guy playing the character on television, how well he performs said character, and even the character itself does not mean I take their character as a serious threat.

Maybe wrestling has passed me by, since wins and losses mattering makes you insane. I'll be sure to point out that Bryan's belt is actually just a stupid meaningless piece of metal when people get upset he loses it.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Mark Henry is a big, large dude. He will always have a level of credibility purely because of that fact. That's why he can do Hall of Pain monster heel title runs after years in the midcard tagging with MVP and/or being sexual chocolate. Also using the transitive property to say Randy Orton = fandango through Kofi Kingston is the dumbest thing. The Kofi loss was treated as a massive fluke at the time and was quickly forgotten.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
I think Randy losing to Kofi was more of a running gag than anything else. I think he's only beat Kofi once or twice ever, champion or not. It's like Kofi the curtain jerking jobber is just a guy that always has Orton's number. It's weird.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Blasmeister posted:

Mark Henry is a big, large dude. He will always have a level of credibility purely because of that fact. That's why he can do Hall of Pain monster heel title runs after years in the midcard tagging with MVP and/or being sexual chocolate. Also using the transitive property to say Randy Orton = fandango through Kofi Kingston is the dumbest thing. The Kofi loss was treated as a massive fluke at the time and was quickly forgotten.

I wasn't saying Orton = Fandango. I was saying that "Look how goddamn low on the totem pole Kofi was, that's who Orton lost to."

And it says everything lovely about Orton's booking that a nothing like Kofi beating the top guy in the company was treated as a "Ha, that didn't matter at all" moment. That's a point against Orton, not a point in his favor.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

So do we think Spike would be interested in picking up another wrestling show if they don't renew with TNA? I'd love to see what ROH or Jarrett's new promotion could do with that kind of exposure.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Burt Buckle posted:

So do we think Spike would be interested in picking up another wrestling show if they don't renew with TNA? I'd love to see what ROH or Jarrett's new promotion could do with that kind of exposure.

I imagine Spike will be content with Cops reruns until something neat pops up. Maybe if they really wanted something original there they'd try to move Bellator's slot.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Burt Buckle posted:

Well, Jarret's promotion is out of the question since one of the terms of his leaving TNA was to not to try and bring it to Spike.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Perigryn posted:

Well, Jarret's promotion is out of the question since one of the terms of his leaving TNA was to not to try and bring it to Spike.

I doubt ROH would go anywhere not owned by Sinclair.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

HulkaMatt posted:

I mean in terms of someone who would have good matches I guess.

"Best of a bad bunch" is what I'm going for, really. Samoa Joe should probably be champion right now after an extended feud with Magnus, but EY will do. I think Magnus could have been a good champion but the way he was booked it made Randy Orton look like the most dominant fighting champion of all time.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Samoa Joe should have been champ from about 2006 and should be on his 8th year as champ by now.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In the abstract EY having the title is fine. He's good. It's just that the specific approach has been "randomly put the belt on him and see what happens."

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
i dont get it other than the lack of angle.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

quote:

Plus many superstars to be announced!

Because that's all the roster they'll have left at that point.

We run a tight ship here with only thirteen people :downsgun:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Gonzo McFee posted:

Samoa Joe should have been champ from about 2006 and should be on his 8th year as champ by now.

AJ Styles, probably the biggest "TNA-made" star ever on their roster held the heavyweight title exactly twice after the split from NWA.

TNA has done a lot of stupid poo poo in a comparatively short amount of time.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I'll give TNA some credit. EC3 is really good at twitter

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Gail could have a decent feud with Paige. I've only seen one or two GK matches that were good, though, so maybe it's time she makes heavyweight champ.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Do they usually run Wembley? That seems ambitious unless the arena is something else and I'm dumb.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Do they usually run Wembley? That seems ambitious unless the arena is something else and I'm dumb.

The arena seats 12,500 so it's still pretty ambitious for a company that can barely sell out a soundstage at a theme park

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Luigi Thirty posted:

The arena seats 12,500 so it's still pretty ambitious for a company that can barely sell out a soundstage at a theme park

They put 8000 in there the first time they ran it, and did 2500 last year. Also they're only running 3 shows and 1 TV taping this year compared to 5-6 shows and 2 TVs last year.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Where's Willow, who's totally not Jeff Hardy?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

IronCladBurrito posted:

Willow is too busy playing Abyss and/or Tigre Uno.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

IronCladBurrito posted:

Banned from coming to the UK for being a studid (ex?) druggie.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Grendels Dad posted:

Banned from coming to the UK for being a studid (ex?) druggie.

:thatsthejoke:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It's me, I am the joke :(

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

How many of these people will still be with the company?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

coconono posted:

How many of these people will still be with the company?

Nobody because TNA will be dead.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I could swear Gunner was leaving after the blow-off match at Sacrifice. What's the deal there?

E: Or was it someone else in that feud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DJExile posted:

I could swear Gunner was leaving after the blow-off match at Sacrifice. What's the deal there?

E: Or was it someone else in that feud?

I think both guys signed long-term extensions a month or so ago because TNA is rewarding their loyalty with a raise they're stupid and nobody else wants them.

• Locked thread